Tommy Kelly Signed

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Re: Tommy Kelly Signed

In response to mthurl's comment:

In response to rkarp's comment:

I like the signing. I had spoken the past few days regarding a signing like this, be it Branch, Patterson...Pats need another interior DL to take the pressure off of the need to use the #1 on a DL. Frees up the #1 for a WR

Not surprised Pats went with the 32 year old player rather rthan the 28 year old or 29 year old player. Kelly clearly was the best player at one time, not so sure about today and tomorrow however.

Anyone see numbers? I have to assume it is vet minimum...low guarantee...most likely if he is not here after first year the dead money is minimal.

So there we have it. Interior DL is Vince, Kelly, Lovie, Deadrick, Pryor. Outside DL is Nink, Jones, Cunningham, Francis, Armstead. Maybe if they really love some one who drops into their laps they use the #1 on another DL, but I have to think this means they go WR with the #1.

Well they haven't drafted defensive tackle in awhile first round, so I wouldn't automatically rule it out, but they were also aggressive getting Armstead. I can certainly see your point in going wide receiver round one though. I've got to say I think there are probably four guys that can be had at the receiver position in the second round though and I'd still love them to add another first round pass rusher....we need it.

exactamundo.

if we can get hopkins in rd 1 and one of the better pas rushing des at top of rd 2, that'd be fine too.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

I posed a question early in the morning when I noted the DE draft thread in ESPNBoston

Should the Pats take a DE or DT first, if an equally good prospect is avaialable for either position when it comes time for the pick?

I guess now that Kelly is signed, the Pats will take a DE. And this year the draft has great depth for DE.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

Datone Jones or Tank Carradine, imagine this DL Jones, Kelly, Wilfork, Jones or Carradine.

We solved our pass rush problem.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

He was great 2 years ago and really started to drop off last year. At 32 he might have something left in the tank but I'm wondering how much that is. Could be a good signing or another Fanene, Ellis, Haynesworth signing. I'm going to wait to see the numbers on this one. If it's for little money and little gauranteed then good signing but if it's anything more then say 1mil a year or a significant gauranteed not sure how I'd feel about it truthfully. I'm thinking of it as a G Warren type of move, but it certainly lowers the need of DT in the draft which I'm not sure I like. With the talent in the late 1st range at DT I hope this doesn't mean they won't look at DT in the draft and instead take less talented WR/CB early when you can get similar talent in those positions in the 2nd and 3rd

My guess is he is a Haynesworth

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Bill said this about Kelly in 05...

“Tommy Kelly is one of the best defensive linemen in the league. He’s an outstanding player,” Belichick said. “Kelly plays everywhere. He’s a little bit like Howie Long in that Howie Long was a guy that they would move along on the front. They would take Howie and mismatch him against whoever they thought the other team’s worst lineman was.

“There is a little bit of that with Tommy Kelly too, find a guy that they want to go after and stick him there because he does have the flexibility to play outside and inside. He can pretty much play across the board. He can do everything. Play the run, rush the passer, he’s good in pursuit. He’s a very physical player. He’s pretty good.”

Granted it was 8 years ago, but the guy did have one of the better seasons of his career two years ago.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to nomadfan's comment:

I posed a question early in the morning when I noted the DE draft thread in ESPNBoston

Should the Pats take a DE or DT first, if an equally good prospect is avaialable for either position when it comes time for the pick?

I guess now that Kelly is signed, the Pats will take a DE. And this year the draft has great depth for DE.

Not really. From 2011 to 2012... 80% decline in sack total, 50% decline in solo tackles

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to PATSchampsSB's comment:

Datone Jones or Tank Carradine, imagine this DL Jones, Kelly, Wilfork, Jones or Carradine.

We solved our pass rush problem.

they have been my top 2 of 4 since ansah and jordan shot up out of reach.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

Not really. From 2011 to 2012... 80% decline in sack total, 50% decline in solo tackles

The talent is still there, though.  Look at Randy when he was in Oakland.  Stud receiver going into Oakland, there for 2 years where everybody forgets about him, comes to NE to play for a ring and he puts together one of the best seasons a receiver has ever put together.  Not insinuating that Kelly is going to have an all-world year, obviously, but just pointing out that his performance in an abysmal place such as Oakland is not indicative of what he'll do playing for a winner here in NE, not to mention playing alongside Big Vince.  

I have a good feeling about this Kelly signing.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

A few minor league Canadian players, some old dudes and a couple of nobody’s don't = $15 million.  Where's the money going????

Just seem like more of the same old, same old to me.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from the-redsox-rule. Show the-redsox-rule's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKingII's comment:

In response to TripleOG's comment:

In response to pcmIV's comment:

I know CC started a thread, but he is a troll so I don't want to have a discussion in his fail threads.

lol

Sweet!

Excellent move!

BB rolling!

Certainly blows away the Patterson signing, huh, RKrap?  LOL!

The timing of this is priceless and I haven't even seen the contract, but it has to be good. Kelly probably ran from the airport in Providence to meet with BB.

Perfect last 2 years of his career and plop him down next to Wilfork, maybe in a rotation with a stud rookie.

Keith Traylor Part II. He was doubled more so than Seymour in 2011 and especially in 2012.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/08/patriots-agree-to-deal-with-tommy-kelly/

BB has done a lot of moves that I was looking for so far this offseason. Hopefully, he has a couple more to come.

BB waiting on cuts and pouncing on his terms for the betterment of the team.

I hope he can help too but these things in bold though.......lol

Sure, you arent a homer...

I am gonna set you up good one day to prove my point. If this thread had read Jets sign T.Kelly, Im sure your enthusiasm would be sarcastic.

That's false because there was a Kelly thread on here about 10 days ago and many will vouch that I was saying he would be a great fit and I was happy Oakland cut him.

I'll find the thread and bump it.

Your trolling is pathetic, Shizzles. God forbid Pats fans get exicted over GREAT FA moves by BB.

I remember you said that. You said that you would rather see them sign Tommy Kelly than who ever it was we were talking about.

i like the move, it's just another piece as Belichick meticulously puts this years team together.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

He's a decent rotational vet at this point. It's nice that they are adding depth. Depending on the dollars, which are probably quite low, this could be a real good signing. 

Hopefully they follow this up in the draft by adding young talent to the pass rush, which is mediocre right now.

The big bonus is strategic. He is the first jumbo sized DL they've added since Hayneworth-less. He already has a leg up on Fat Al, I don't expect him to get cut for quitting on his teammates. And playing here is a good way to tap the rest of the gas he has left in his tank.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

In response to IrishMob7's comment:

The talent is still there, though.  Look at Randy when he was in Oakland.  Stud receiver going into Oakland, there for 2 years where everybody forgets about him, comes to NE to play for a ring and he puts together one of the best seasons a receiver has ever put together.  Not insinuating that Kelly is going to have an all-world year, obviously, but just pointing out that his performance in an abysmal place such as Oakland is not indicative of what he'll do playing for a winner here in NE, not to mention playing alongside Big Vince.  

I have a good feeling about this Kelly signing.

BB looks at contexts. He did it with Donald Jones, too.  They did it with Amendola.  45 catches from Fitzpatrick and a high football IQ, might mean 50 receptions with Brady and a guy you can line up at the X, Y or Z, which is the more important concept.

Same deal here.  

This goes back to the discussion about the player around quality players, and that base possibly making the player look better than he actually is (Dashon Goldson to TB where he played on a loaded SF D that had been built for 5 years).

Kelly as either the guy used on 1st and 2nd downs or as a 3rd down DT, is clearly a nice addition to this club.

No doubt.

But it's not a household name such as Osi, Peppers, or Dumervil so it sux.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

I think this is an excellent signing of a guy who, when used properly, can be highly productive. Totally agree with Pension on this one.

I don't see any downside to bringing Kelly aboard. Let's see what he has left...and if he's willing to work. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

please dont ever bring up albert haynesworth's name on here ever again, i just almost threw up.

anyways, i like the signing espescially if its team friendly, which it most likely is. he could potentially be the piece they have been missing on the d-line. this also gives them a bit more flexibility in the draft.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Who? Kelly? Dude, I already explained this above. I actually talked about the Seymour and Kelly thing months before this signing has occurred.

Teams were doubling Seymour in 2009, some in 2010, but they started shifting on focusing more on Kelly because Kelly was playing better than Seymour in 2011.

Seymour got dinged up last year, played 8 games, and couldn't finish the year, so teams stuck to doubling/focusing on Kelly.

Hence, the drop in production.  So, picture him now playing NEXT to a healthy, nasty Wilfork.

See?

I am not making any guarantees or anything, but you can bet BB is looking as to why his numbers dropped in 2012, but also WHY his numbers not only spiked in 2010 and 2011, but how he actually started outproducing and outperforming Seymour.

It doesn't really matter where the stats come from, but the skill set is important here.  He's more known for penetrating and pass rushing down the middle v.s. being a beast against the run, but we don't need more run stuffing DTs.

Throw in Justin Francis, Myron Pryor, Armstead and maybe a DT in the draft (deep DT draft - Jesse Williams?) and Love and Deaderick are now competing for back up spots or only spot roles as run stopping guys.

Put it this way, if our new DTs next to Wilfork are Kelly and Alabama's Jesse Williams, call me a very happy camper.

Russ,
    Pretty much confirms what you were saying.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1597408-how-tommy-kelly-fits-into-the-new-england-patriots-defense

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:

He's a decent rotational vet at this point. It's nice that they are adding depth. Depending on the dollars, which are probably quite low, this could be a real good signing. 

Hopefully they follow this up in the draft by adding young talent to the pass rush, which is mediocre right now.

The big bonus is strategic. He is the first jumbo sized DL they've added since Hayneworth-less. He already has a leg up on Fat Al, I don't expect him to get cut for quitting on his teammates. And playing here is a good way to tap the rest of the gas he has left in his tank.

Agree exactly zbellino

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

In response to IrishMob7's comment:

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

A few minor league Canadian players, some old dudes and a couple of nobody’s don't = $15 million.  Where's the money going????

Just seem like more of the same old same old to me.

There she is!! The leader of the Nancy brigade has spoken!  

Verdict:  BB is cheap and should have signed washed-up Osi for 10M.  

An all-around solid signing and yet you come in and spew your negativity, like always.  Unbelievable.

BB sux.

Here we go again.  The Rusty crew throwing their juvenile insults.  Good job.

Sections
Shortcuts