Tommy Kelly Signed

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Re: Tommy Kelly Signed

In response to IrishMob7's comment:

In response to TripleOG's comment:

In response to Brad34's comment:

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

A few minor league Canadian players, some old dudes and a couple of nobody‚Äôs don't = $15 million.  Where's the money going????

Just seem like more of the same old, same old to me.

Yeah LOL. I bet Brady is probably wondering the same thing. BB seems to get good mileage out of some of these blokes. I don't watch many Oakland games so I don't really know how much Kelly will contribute. I just thought with Brady re doing his contract and making it cap friendly for now that BB was going to make a splash and bring in a few big name signings this off season otherwise why get the QB with the best winning record of all time in playoffs to take a pay cut at this stage of his career. BB and the Pats approach really resembles the George Costanza approach to wedding invitations - straight to the cheapest option. It has worked in the fact that they have been up for so long so hard to argue with it. I still hope they can bring in Abraham and maybe Sanders and I like the look of them then

Just a thought, sometimes retaining your own top free agents is more valuable than going out and signing players who haven't had experience in the system.  Our team just went to the AFC Championship game and suffered many key injuries; one could possibly venture to guess that maybe the talent was there, but the execution and luck(injuries) was not there.  Hence, we put more of a priority in resigning our top FAs (minus Welker) instead of going out and signing a Dumervil, Grimes, Osi, etc.  There's nothing wrong with an infusion of new talent, but don't mistake retaining top talent on your own squad as not doing anything in FA.

I agree, good points. Just to counter that though, I think the lack of enthusiasm comes from those players not maybe having a clean bill of health. I mean most people here should know that Seabass is a top tackle when healthy and we all agree Talib made this secondary better but those 2 guys play important roles and if they go down, I dont like the depth behind them. Common sense sais BB will adress these depth concerns via draft but I also epxress those same sentiments of maybe wanting them to look at ONE of the many CBs that are available this year in F.A. - It seems with this market, we could have got a couple 2nd tier guys at vet minimum but what do I know. These are the hardest times, waiting for the draft and the anxiety that comes with it. So I like Vollmer and Talib, not so much Arrington at 4 Million. Was thinking he would sign for 2m/yr to play slot and Im concerned with our depth at CB as well as Dennards future and Talibs Hip. Other than that, Im just hoping we get WR right this time in the draft.  

I like the approach of getting 3 guys instead of ONE blockbuster F/A  but I fear in the last couple years we just got the wrong guys. Fanene to a multiyear deal but he is Knee is Toast!?!??  Not like BB to missread that, and Gregory as your only safety addition after losing Barret, Brown, Page, Meriweather, Tank,, essentially Chung, in a 2 year span?? The year before, Ocho and Haynesworth!?!?  One was a self advertising twitter Ho and the other an underacheiving bad human being who quit after a big payday. I just think Brady deserves better help than that. Dont have to break the bank, but make smarter moves than that when Bradys window is closing.

I agree to an extent and can see the frustration/opposing views.  However, I think the fact that BB got Ocho and Haynesworth for a very LOW price was directly correlated to how he was trying to get supreme talent for a lower cost.  It's a good gamble.  Very high reward, low cost.  

Injuries happen, though.  It's a part of the game and happens to every team.  You can't be afraid to sign a guy just because he has had some injuries in the past.  An injury can literally happen on any play so I really don't think the injury risk-factor should be weighed as heavily as say, does the player fit our team's scheme. 

We will see what happens with the draft, through camp cuts, and what the opening day roster looks like.  But I will put money that BB will put this team in the best position to win, just like he does every year.  I don't think people realize the odds of winning a Super Bowl for every team is 1/32.  We have just as good of a chance, if not the best chance, to win every single season than any other team in the NFL.  But, things happen throughout the season and throughout each game.  They are all human who make mistakes, and each team, no matter how talented, are playing against fellow professional players who want to win just as badly as they do.  

Its a tough balance for sure and I dont think most fans could answer what the ideal scenario is. Its basically staying competitive every year and being in the hunt with maybe not enough tools to get your over the hump or putting together that team that SHOULD win a title in a 2 year span maybe before you are irrelevant again. Weve seen in with many teams, like say Arizona. Goes to a SB with Kart Warner, but he retires and they are mediocre. I will say I have enjoyed the continued success and would have been a Great Scenario to have won 2 more while ALSO staying competitive but the football gods havent been good to us since BB sold his soul for Offense, IMO. I appreciate the approach and it does have us competing EVERY year, something most teams cant say, but as of late, I have to put that success more on the arm of Brady than the success of his free agents and drafts. Lets be honest, we didnt get to the SB 2 years ago because of Ihedebo, or anyone on defense. We got their despite our defense and against better teams Brady is expected to perform to his reg. season success which is impossible when your D cannot get off the field. It all comes back to ONE man being the factor. VS the Ravens, our D gave up 4 TDs on 4 redzone trips, making Brady have to be perfect to win, and I thought he showed up, and played well but too many dropped passes and a lack of "other" options hurt this team ONCE again. So I appreciate the approach but it would work without Brady?? I dont think so

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

My perspective on the AFCCG is that:

1)  NE had too many opportunities to score in the 1st half they couldn't capitalize on.  I don't know what the actual number was but my recollection is that they had several trips into Baltimore territory during the game (1st half in particular) where they left points on the field;

2) The secondary held up pretty well even after Talib went down but eventually wore down.  I think for a secondary that was widely criticized around the league they did pretty well all in all without Talib.  NE's inability to consistently sustain drives was a major contributing factor here IMO;  

3) I generally don't like to point to any one play in any game but sometimes it comes down to that.  Two in particular that stick out in my mind were the Welker drop that jri37 mentioned and the Ridley fumble after Pollack cleaned his clock.  

My 2 cents.

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKingII's comment:

In response to mthurl's comment:

Bill Belichick laying in the weeds, priceless. Irrationals exposed, rkarp, prolate, babe, mthurl, sky net, the umbrella coorporatation, Cisco, sun Microsystems, on suicide watch...the warnings were out.

Told ya...Bill Belichick putting on a clinic post lockout..everyone take notes. Defense rebuilt with clinical precision...like splitting atoms (only better).

I just thought I'd do this for funzies - I like the signing.

Your insecurity is delicious.

C'mon,  that was funny

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

Off topic, but what part of Ireland your roots are from?

Apologies for deleting the earlier posts but it was beginning to take up a lot of space.

Irish, my grandfather came over from County Mayo, which, coincidentally is the same region where my wife's people are from. She and I both grew up in Boston but in diffeent sections so we had no clue about the Irish connection when we met.   I'm named for my great-grandfather who hailed from the village Ballyhaunis.  

And your folks?

I think we all need to make more of an effort to start deleting some of the older posts, but that would please Leon too much and we wouldn't want that.  hehe

But that's an awesome story.  Small world, huh?  My mom's side comes from Donegal while my dad's side is from the Aran Islands.  Both sides came over around the same time and both settled in Woburn, Mass, ironically.

I'm named after my grandfather as well.  Blood runs thick in the Irish genetics.

My ancestors (mom's side) go back Miles Standish and the pilgrims.  The Shedds from England.

No wonder why some of the Irish people here don't like me. hehe

I don't like you and I'm not Irish  Smile

btw I think this may be another of your timely fanciful tales...kind of like the minute gay marriage comes up you happen to have a gay sister or the way when ancestry is mentioned you happen to go back to the pilgriams and the Mayflower

I am sure that if the Moon landing comes up Neil Armstrong is your uncle

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to 42AND46's comment:

In response to ATJ's comment:

Off topic, but what part of Ireland your roots are from?

Apologies for deleting the earlier posts but it was beginning to take up a lot of space.

Irish, my grandfather came over from County Mayo, which, coincidentally is the same region where my wife's people are from. She and I both grew up in Boston but in diffeent sections so we had no clue about the Irish connection when we met.   I'm named for my great-grandfather who hailed from the village Ballyhaunis.  

And your folks?

I think we all need to make more of an effort to start deleting some of the older posts, but that would please Leon too much and we wouldn't want that.  hehe

But that's an awesome story.  Small world, huh?  My mom's side comes from Donegal while my dad's side is from the Aran Islands.  Both sides came over around the same time and both settled in Woburn, Mass, ironically.

I'm named after my grandfather as well.  Blood runs thick in the Irish genetics.

My ancestors (mom's side) go back Miles Standish and the pilgrims.  The Shedds from England.

No wonder why some of the Irish people here don't like me. hehe

I don't like you and I'm not Irish  Smile

btw I think this may be another of your timely fanciful tales...kind of like the minute gay marriage comes up you happen to have a gay sister or the way when ancestry is mentioned you happen to go back to the pilgriams and the Mayflower

I am sure that if the Moon landing comes up John Glenn is your uncle

I don't really care if you believe it or not, because you're quite franly, an incredible tool.

Yes, my sister is gay and I attended their wedding in Boston. Was supposed to be held outdoors on the Boston Common, but it rained. My cousin who is legally authorized to marry people, led the ceremony. It was about 20 people, mostly friends and family and it was a great weekend.

The fact you ares so dumb and immatrue that I would make things up in genuine discussion here makes you look like a moron.  And immature. How old are? In your 40s? Pathetic.

That same weekend I hit the Ravens/Pats game in a balmy, warm Sunday in 2009. Anyone who remembers the weather that day will remember it was humid. Same weekend. 

You think I am making up the idea that the Shedd name is my ancestry? Yes. I have a book that traces my family all the way back to the first wave of pilgrims. Yes. Shedd is the name.

RIght off the boat in 1620.

yes I believe you about all that

btw did i ever tell you Elvis was my cousin?

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moskk. Show moskk's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

In response to wozzy's comment:

This is a great signing, and it may very well limit the need to spend the #1 on a DT.  We can't forget the Armstead signing is like another low first high 2nd round pick already, both in cash and impact. I may have to switch my mock (even though I don't have one) to WR taken first...

Woz, are you hearing Armstead looking at as more a DE than DT?

At the time of his signing the prevailing thought was that Armstead is too slow at the DE position (5.02 in the 40 and most desireable DEs have 4.7/40 speed) and too light at DT (weighed 290 lbs.) The thinking was that if he gained 10-15 lbs he would be fast (at 5.02/40) as a DL (he's athletic with good lateral movement). Conversely, by losing 10-15 lbs he might improve his speed enough to playDE.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to moskk's comment:

In response to rkarp's comment:

In response to wozzy's comment:

This is a great signing, and it may very well limit the need to spend the #1 on a DT.  We can't forget the Armstead signing is like another low first high 2nd round pick already, both in cash and impact. I may have to switch my mock (even though I don't have one) to WR taken first...

Woz, are you hearing Armstead looking at as more a DE than DT?

At the time of his signing the prevailing thought was that Armstead is too slow at the DE position (5.02 in the 40 and most desireable DEs have 4.7/40 speed) and too light at DT (weighed 290 lbs.) The thinking was that if he gained 10-15 lbs he would be fast (at 5.02/40) as a DL (he's athletic with good lateral movement). Conversely, by losing 10-15 lbs he might improve his speed enough to playDE.

5.02 is turtle like

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to 42AND46's comment:

5.02 is turtle like

He weighs 290 lbs...

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

In response to jri37's comment:

All I'm saying is that it's silly to try to say the Pats' approach is better than the Ravens' approach. The Ravens have been right in the mix for the past half dozen years and knocked the Pats out of the playoffs twice (and nearly a third) time.  I thing Belichick does a great job, but I can't honestly say he's head and shoulders above Ozzie Newsome, who's also managed to field consistently competitive teams year after year and who did win the Super Bowl last year (after destroying a clearly overmatched Pats team that was playing on its own home field). 

The Pat's were up 13-7 to start the 2nd half and actually held Baltimore on the their 1st series to start the 2nd half. NE drove from it's own 9 to the Balt 34 and then  Welker dropped the ball on 3rd down. The entire complexsion of the game changed after that. Yes, from that point on Balt dominated but the Pat's were not overmatched. As a matter of fact the Pat's pretty much dominated the 1st half.

I wouldn't quite say dominated because they weren't getting points.  It reminded me of some Jets games where the Pats seemed to be outplaying their opponents in the first half, but not converting yards into points.   The second half, though, the Pats looked not only overmatched but downright demoralized to me. 

They got demoralized because they only had 13 points through 3 qtrs and then Bolden basically abused Cole in the 4th.

It reminded me a lot of the 2010 playoff loss to the Jets. If your offense fiddles around for 3 qtrs, the underdog gets that sniff and sometimes locates the scent.

This is a main concept in the Elephant in the Room debates which you refuse to acknowledge.

I can sort of tell you never played sports competitively at a high level growing up.  The intangible elements of competitive sports played by humans is huge.

I've always agreed the offense underperforms.  Our disagreement has been on the causes of the underperformance. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

All I'm saying is that it's silly to try to say the Pats' approach is better than the Ravens' approach. The Ravens have been right in the mix for the past half dozen years and knocked the Pats out of the playoffs twice (and nearly a third) time.  I thing Belichick does a great job, but I can't honestly say he's head and shoulders above Ozzie Newsome, who's also managed to field consistently competitive teams year after year and who did win the Super Bowl last year (after destroying a clearly overmatched Pats team that was playing on its own home field). 

The Pat's were up 13-7 to start the 2nd half and actually held Baltimore on the their 1st series to start the 2nd half. NE drove from it's own 9 to the Balt 34 and then  Welker dropped the ball on 3rd down. The entire complexsion of the game changed after that. Yes, from that point on Balt dominated but the Pat's were not overmatched. As a matter of fact the Pat's pretty much dominated the 1st half.

I wouldn't quite say dominated because they weren't getting points.  It reminded me of some Jets games where the Pats seemed to be outplaying their opponents in the first half, but not converting yards into points.   The second half, though, the Pats looked not only overmatched but downright demoralized to me. 

Demoralized after the drop. Coming out of the half they stopped balt on their 1st drive and were driving the length of the field on their drive.

Maybe it was me who was demoralized most Laughing

I found the second half terribly deflating.  Sort of like the 2009 playoff game (though then starting on the first play), but somehow Brady seemed to me defeated in a way I had never seen before.  He almost seemed to give up to me.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Good signing.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

So should we consider ourselves set at DT and maybe not draft anyone there with our 3 highly valubale and needed picks?

Wilfork

Kelly

Love

Deaderick

Armstead

Francis

seems like more than enough when we have Jones, Nink, Cunningham and Bequette at DE. Maybe add a guy who can play DE in a 3-4 and 4-3 and rush the passer over a 300+ lb DT type who will help more with the run. We have a few of them now.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

I think the Pats will stick by their draft board regardless of our perception as fans of what their needs are.  I say no way they draft a WR in round 1, even though they could use a stud WR.   Wouldn't be surprised at all to see an OL/DL pick.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to bostatewarrior's comment:

In response to mthurl's comment:

Bill Belichick laying in the weeds, priceless. Irrationals exposed, rkarp, prolate, babe, mthurl, sky net, the umbrella coorporatation, Cisco, sun Microsystems, on suicide watch...the warnings were out.

Told ya...Bill Belichick putting on a clinic post lockout..everyone take notes. Defense rebuilt with clinical precision...like splitting atoms (only better).

I just thought I'd do this for funzies - I like the signing.

Your insecurity is delicious.

C'mon,  that was funny

He does the same thing every time where he looks like a moron, though.  Mocking my phrases makes him look stupid. 

He's mocked BB here for about 3-4 years, so when it appears players BB looks for WANT to come here, he hates it.

He's a very strange person in general and supposed Pats fan.  Of course, he is a Home Ec teacher, so I'd be pissed if that was my career. 

Mocking in a passive aggressive way like that on a constant basis, backed by arrogance, really isn't healthy nor is it a good personality trait.

He's probably totally enraged I was talking about how Kelly was outperforming Seymour the last few years there, and suggested BB get on the phone immediately and call him to have him come help try to win a ring.

THAT is what is funny. lol

Oh rusty...where to begin? I have "mocked" BB player acquisitions? Well not really, but I could make a list a mile long of players brought in over the last four years that would get most GMs fired. Fact. Bill is such a good coach and has such a great QB that it doesn't matter nearly as much as it does elsewhere. As for Kelly - you dug up the origanal post on him (like the creeper you are) and if you have your mom read it to you you'll see what I wrote concerning Kelly. I usually give Bill the benefit of the doubt when he brings players in - I'm a fan, I root for them/hope they do well for us - but it's getting harder and harder to do. Last offseason was disasterous in the free agent market...the year before wasn't much better - in fact there is only one free agent remaining from the last two seasons...Steven Gegory (not good). So yeah. I'll give this group a chance, but I'm very very leary of a 34 year old safety...a receiver that has only done one thing well since being in the NFL (getting hurt) and a handful of middle of the road types...might work, might not.

I'll add this...mocking your phrases won't make me look bad...posting 500 times a day in any way, shape or form that resembles you, or your opinions will make me look stupid. It's what YOU do. Congrats!!

Hey, you still think we should of traded Brady after he threw that pick in the Cardinal's game? Still think Alex Smith is a better QB than Brady? Still think Merriweather is the second best safety in the AFC? Still think Markell Carter is going to really be something? Still trying to figure out what round Cannon was drafted in? Still think Tebow got cut a month ago? Learn the game.

Hey, run a quick spell checky over this for me if you got time. And I need those tps reports on my desk by Friday.