Tommy Kelly Signed

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: Tommy Kelly Signed

In response to BuzyDizzyIzzy's comment:

And to continue on about the Patriots being "cheap".......REALLY? How much cap room do they have left this year? a few million left over? At least the Patriots aren't doing mad cuts left and right like alot of teams do every year. Look at Baltimore for example. How many players did they cut due to "salary cap" issues.

I mean, whats the point of making all these big dollar signings, if you have to cut a ton of players just to make the #'s work every year. At least with the Patriots the players have a legitimate chance to actually play out their contracts if the players play up to the system's standards.......I see so many teams each year cut/dump players who were signed to big newsworthy deals that end up not even making half the money they were originally signed for. Would that make those teams CHEAP, or just stupid? Lets get real here.........

Well cheap is a matter of perspective of signing philosphy more so then amount spent. For example last year, they spent up to $5mil in the cap however they took a quantity approach instead of quality in last years FA. The end result was a large number of those signed were cut in camp and there was a lot of dead money. That dea money counted against the cap so the actual amount on the team week 1 was much less then what was spent during FA period. Being cheap could simply mean that instead of targetting higher quality players for a higher price they cast the net wide targetting quantity and hoping to find a couple of players that could perform. Very few would debate they don't spend money but I think the real debate (or cheap notion) comes from if they spent the money wisely

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

In response to IrishMob7's comment:

A few minor league Canadian players, some old dudes and a couple of nobody’s don't = $15 million.  Where's the money going????

Just seem like more of the same old same old to me.

There she is!! The leader of the Nancy brigade has spoken!  

Verdict:  BB is cheap and should have signed washed-up Osi for 10M.  

An all-around solid signing and yet you come in and spew your negativity, like always.  Unbelievable.

BB sux.

Here we go again.  The Rusty crew throwing their juvenile insults.  Good job.

Here we go again.  When somebody calls you out for being a doom and gloomer and tooting the BB sux horn, that person is automatically Rusty.  Good job.

OR

Here we go again.  The Doom and Gloom crew insulting every move BB makes.  Good job.

See?! I can play this game, too!  Mature, right?

Not sure how a person makes the leap between where's the money going and then throwing insults around like "she" "Nancy brigade" "Doom and Gloomer"?

The juvinial tone and childish insults are boring and so Rusty.  Try to realize that not everyone is going to agree with you on everything in life.  And talk to people like your talking to your mother.

Well, considering you constantly blast BB alongside just about every player outside of Brady and Wilfork, I'd say you're a doom and gloomer.  Pretty sure a majority of the board agrees with me in that regard.  We have one of the most well-rounded rosters in the NFL and a GM/coach who every other team would kill to have, and yet you critique his every move in a negative manner.

The majority of your posts are one-liners consisting of "he sux," "he's overrated," "our d sux," and something along the lines of BB can't draft/sign free agents to save his life.   Don't be condescending and act like your original post on this thread wasn't meant to bash these signings.  "The money is going to" Talib, Vollmer, Amendola, Kelly, Armstead, and a handful of others.  Many of the people who actually know the game would agree that these have been good signings.

Here we have the signing of Kelly, a guy who is still only 32 years old and has a tremendous track record, coming in here to play alongside the best NT in the game and compete for a championship, and you feel the need to come into the thread and spew your negativity.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

In response to Brad34's comment:

A few minor league Canadian players, some old dudes and a couple of nobody’s don't = $15 million.  Where's the money going????

Just seem like more of the same old, same old to me.

Yeah LOL. I bet Brady is probably wondering the same thing. BB seems to get good mileage out of some of these blokes. I don't watch many Oakland games so I don't really know how much Kelly will contribute. I just thought with Brady re doing his contract and making it cap friendly for now that BB was going to make a splash and bring in a few big name signings this off season otherwise why get the QB with the best winning record of all time in playoffs to take a pay cut at this stage of his career. BB and the Pats approach really resembles the George Costanza approach to wedding invitations - straight to the cheapest option. It has worked in the fact that they have been up for so long so hard to argue with it. I still hope they can bring in Abraham and maybe Sanders and I like the look of them then

Just a thought, sometimes retaining your own top free agents is more valuable than going out and signing players who haven't had experience in the system.  Our team just went to the AFC Championship game and suffered many key injuries; one could possibly venture to guess that maybe the talent was there, but the execution and luck(injuries) was not there.  Hence, we put more of a priority in resigning our top FAs (minus Welker) instead of going out and signing a Dumervil, Grimes, Osi, etc.  There's nothing wrong with an infusion of new talent, but don't mistake retaining top talent on your own squad as not doing anything in FA.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to BuzyDizzyIzzy's comment:

And to continue on about the Patriots being "cheap".......REALLY? How much cap room do they have left this year? a few million left over? At least the Patriots aren't doing mad cuts left and right like alot of teams do every year. Look at Baltimore for example. How many players did they cut due to "salary cap" issues.

I mean, whats the point of making all these big dollar signings, if you have to cut a ton of players just to make the #'s work every year. At least with the Patriots the players have a legitimate chance to actually play out their contracts if the players play up to the system's standards.......I see so many teams each year cut/dump players who were signed to big newsworthy deals that end up not even making half the money they were originally signed for. Would that make those teams CHEAP, or just stupid? Lets get real here.........

I find it odd to point out last year's Super Bowl winners as an example of a team that manages talent poorly.  They cut some salaries this year, but also signed some good players.  Pats have let plenty of good players go too when they decided the cost to re-sign was too much. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

The majority of your posts are one-liners consisting of "he sux," "he's overrated," "our d sux," and something along the lines of BB can't draft/sign free agents to save his life.   Don't be condescending and act like your original post on this thread wasn't meant to bash these signings.  "The money is going to" Talib, Vollmer, Amendola, Kelly, Armstead, and a handful of others.  Many of the people who actually know the game would agree that these have been good signings.

Here we have the signing of Kelly, a guy who is still only 32 years old and has a tremendous track record, coming in here to play alongside the best NT in the game and compete for a championship, and you feel the need to come into the thread and spew your negativity.

Just to clear up a few misnomers. 

1)      I think BB is the Greatest coach ever.

2)      I have never questioned BB’s Drafting.

3)      I don’t think Mayo is as good a some think.

My Sucks List:

1)     Arrington

2)      DMC

My not so Good List:

1)      Dink

2)      All DB’s not named Talib or Dennard.

So that leaves a lot of players on the Roster I like a lot.  By the way I believe we will win the Super Bowl this year (like I believe every year).  Maybe you remember a thread I started a few years ago after a pre-season loss to Tampa Bay.   It was addressed to all the Doom and Gloomer’s that where jumping ship and putting down the team.  That was actually the correct use of the term.  In case your Irish, I have a Shamrock Tat on my right Calf.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

My Sucks List:

1)     Arrington

2)      DMC

My not so Good List:

1)      Dink

So that leaves a lot of players on the Roster I like a lot.  By the way I believe we will win the Super Bowl this year (like I believe every year).  Maybe you remember a thread I started a few years ago after a pre-season loss to Tampa Bay.   It was addressed to all the Doom and Gloomer’s that where jumping ship and putting down the team.  That was actually the correct use of the term.  In case your Irish, I have a Shamrock Tat on my right Calf.

That's fair.  Sorry that I came across as hostile; it just gets tiresome seeing many of our posters constantly complain about such a talented ball club and an even better overall franchise(from top to bottom).  I respectfully disagree about Mayo and DMC as I think Mayo is one of the most consistent LBs in the game (in all areas) and I think McCourty's team-first mentality, field awareness, and football smarts qualifies him as a franchise-type player on defense.  He was fantastic at safety last year and had a great rookie campaign at CB.  Sure, he had a bad sophomore slump but most players have off-years.  I agree Arrington isn't a quality outside corner, but I think he's effective in the slot and as a special-teamer, and we all know BB values versatility more than anything else.  You may be a little hard on Nink, but I think he's a try-hard guy who is a nice complimentary piece on sub-rush packages and his veteran presence can't be undervalued.

I really do think this defense finally comes together this year as an entire unit.  We saw spurts last year where they played like a top 10 defense in all categories, but the consistency wasn't always there.  I think they were very underrated all year by a lot of folks here, though.  With another year in the system for many of these younger players, and the infusion of a more consistent pass rush, I really do see this D as a top 6-10 unit.  I'm excited to see what we do in the draft.

Lastly, I am Irish and dig the look of shamrock tats.  I actually have the Irish-Gaelic term for family (Muintir) on my arm.  Cheers.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

I find it odd to point out last year's Super Bowl winners as an example of a team that manages talent poorly.  They cut some salaries this year, but also signed some good players.  Pats have let plenty of good players go too when they decided the cost to re-sign was too much. 

They got lucky with Dumervil.  He shouldn't have been available.  Without that signing their offseason is less impressive.  And there is something to be said about turning that many guys over on your defense in one year.  Particularly when 2 are first ballot hall of famers.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

My Sucks List:

1)     Arrington

2)      DMC

My not so Good List:

1)      Dink

tcal2, this is not my conversation but I did want to let you know that you cleared up a misperception for me.  I, too, perceived you to be negative and occasionally unnecessarily critical.  This post sheds a rather different light.  Thanks.

Don't agree with a couple of your assessments but it would one boring world if we all agreed on everything.

All goes to further remind me that presumption is presumptuous and assumption makes an a $$, etc.  

(I'm also Irish as he11.)

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

They got lucky with Dumervil.  He shouldn't have been available.  Without that signing their offseason is less impressive.  And there is something to be said about turning that many guys over on your defense in one year.  Particularly when 2 are first ballot hall of famers.

Agreed.  People always seem to undervalue continuity.  I know this horse has been beaten to death, but it's a great example, look at what Philly did with their defense two years ago. Their fans were salivating about all of the new acquisitions and they ended up sucking donkey deek.  

Look at the Steelers and the Ravens over the past 6 years.  One of the big reasons their defenses were top-notch is because of the continuity.  Dick Lebeau certainly helps with Pitt but the point is still there.  Now look at SF over the past couple years.  Those guys all came up together and played on the same defense over the past 3-4 years.  It's not rocket science.  I'd rather keep 3 or 4 solid core guys than go out and sign a FA to a bloated contract based off of past performance.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

My Sucks List:

1)     Arrington

2)      DMC

My not so Good List:

1)      Dink

tcal2, this is not my conversation but I did want to let you know that you cleared up a misperception for me.  I, too, perceived you to be negative and occasionally unnecessarily critical.  This post sheds a rather different light.  Thanks.

Don't agree with a couple of your assessments but it would one boring world if we all agreed on everything.

All goes to further remind me that presumption is presumptuous and assumption makes an a $$, etc.  

ATJ, always enjoy your posts and we have the same consensus on tcal's last post.  

Off topic, but what part of Ireland are your roots from?

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Off topic, but what part of Ireland your roots are from?

Apologies for deleting the earlier posts but it was beginning to take up a lot of space.

Irish, my grandfather came over from County Mayo, which, coincidentally is the same region where my wife's people are from. She and I both grew up in Boston but in diffeent sections so we had no clue about the Irish connection when we met.   I'm named for my great-grandfather who hailed from the village Ballyhaunis.  

And your folks?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKingII's comment:

Agreed.  People always seem to undervalue continuity.  I know this horse has been beaten to death, but it's a great example, look at what Philly did with their defense two years ago. Their fans were salivating about all of the new acquisitions and they ended up sucking donkey deek.  

Look at the Steelers and the Ravens over the past 6 years.  One of the big reasons their defenses were top-notch is because of the continuity.  Dick Lebeau certainly helps with Pitt but the point is still there.  Now look at SF over the past couple years.  Those guys all came up together and played on the same defense over the past 3-4 years.  It's not rocket science.  I'd rather keep 3 or 4 solid core guys than go out and sign a FA to a bloated contract based off of past performance.  

Two recent examples with continuity:

2011 Packers

2012 Saints

The media raved about them up and down, but they forgot to educate the public that in those seasons, outside of the Bountygate distraction, the real truth is they didn't have any system depth behind their starters on D.

What  happened? Their Ds were WORSE, FAR WORSE, than ours in those seasons, but you'd never know that because the media doesn't dislike McCarthy or Payton.

That simple.

Swapping out 4-5 starters on D, especially if the ones you are losing are good players, never works.

Ravens will feel the effect.  Jets will be absolutely devastated by it.

I also feel Denver will be victimized by it with an entire new LB corps.  They'll possibly be worse in coverage down the middle, or they'll have to play mostly man.

You can get away with a lack of "continuity" the most in baseball, quite simply because of the nature of the game and how the positions are laid out.

Exactly.  What's funny is how the Packers are idolized in every ESPN skit and commercial, propping up Clay Matthews as the greatest LB ever when he's a one-trick pony who sucks in coverage and sucks against the run.  That defense is atrocious and yet people think they're good because they see them on these highlight commercials and Clay doing his moronic flex after a sack.  I don't think the Saints ever had that much talent on their defense, but rather that their aggressive schemes and few playmakers made up for the lack of talent.  Bountygate absolutely destroyed them and did expose them for their lack of depth, though.

Continuity is absolutely essential in football and hockey.  The NBA is such a star-studded league now that all you need is 2 or 3 superstars and your team is set, whereas in hockey you absolutely need solid goaltending and 2-3 solid lines with the 4th line being physical and having the ability to wear the opponent down (2011 Bruins).  Having players that have been in the system for several years bodes well for the team.  Anaheim has had the best 1st line in hockey for the past 3 years and yet they've been absolutely awful up until this season.   Another example is the Rangers.  They give up two core pieces in Dubinsky and Ansiminov for Rick Nash and it's completely backfired this year.  Just a few examples that come to mind.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Good veteran pickup.  I still think they draft an OL/DL with a high pick, but Kelly should help the DL.  BB is usually pretty good at finding vets who, with the motivation of winning, manage to play well for a few years here at the end of their careers.  Gerard Warren comes to mind, Bobby Hamilton, Traylor, Ted Washington and others. 

I don't think every FA move BB makes is genius in action, but I also think that loading up on numbers at critical positions is a good thing.  Kelly is a good add, and with guys like Francis, Bequette and Armstead waiting to show they fit in, I think it's a good thing that the Pats have DL depth. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Yeah LOL. I bet Brady is probably wondering the same thing. BB seems to get good mileage out of some of these blokes. I don't watch many Oakland games so I don't really know how much Kelly will contribute. I just thought with Brady re doing his contract and making it cap friendly for now that BB was going to make a splash and bring in a few big name signings this off season otherwise why get the QB with the best winning record of all time in playoffs to take a pay cut at this stage of his career. BB and the Pats approach really resembles the George Costanza approach to wedding invitations - straight to the cheapest option. It has worked in the fact that they have been up for so long so hard to argue with it. I still hope they can bring in Abraham and maybe Sanders and I like the look of them then

Just a thought, sometimes retaining your own top free agents is more valuable than going out and signing players who haven't had experience in the system.  Our team just went to the AFC Championship game and suffered many key injuries; one could possibly venture to guess that maybe the talent was there, but the execution and luck(injuries) was not there.  Hence, we put more of a priority in resigning our top FAs (minus Welker) instead of going out and signing a Dumervil, Grimes, Osi, etc.  There's nothing wrong with an infusion of new talent, but don't mistake retaining top talent on your own squad as not doing anything in FA.

I agree, good points. Just to counter that though, I think the lack of enthusiasm comes from those players not maybe having a clean bill of health. I mean most people here should know that Seabass is a top tackle when healthy and we all agree Talib made this secondary better but those 2 guys play important roles and if they go down, I dont like the depth behind them. Common sense sais BB will adress these depth concerns via draft but I also epxress those same sentiments of maybe wanting them to look at ONE of the many CBs that are available this year in F.A. - It seems with this market, we could have got a couple 2nd tier guys at vet minimum but what do I know. These are the hardest times, waiting for the draft and the anxiety that comes with it. So I like Vollmer and Talib, not so much Arrington at 4 Million. Was thinking he would sign for 2m/yr to play slot and Im concerned with our depth at CB as well as Dennards future and Talibs Hip. Other than that, Im just hoping we get WR right this time in the draft.  

I like the approach of getting 3 guys instead of ONE blockbuster F/A  but I fear in the last couple years we just got the wrong guys. Fanene to a multiyear deal but his Knee is Toast!?!??  Not like BB to missread that, and Gregory as your only safety addition after losing Barret, Brown, Page, Meriweather, Tank,, essentially Chung, in a 2 year span?? The year before He cut 3 safeties in camp and went into the season with Barret and Brown!?!?!  2 unknowns!?!?, and then Ocho and Haynesworth!?!?  One was a self advertising twitter Ho and the other an underacheiving bad human being who quit after a big payday. I just think Brady deserves better help than that. Dont have to break the bank, but make smarter moves than that when Bradys window is closing.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

Apologies for deleting the earlier posts but it was beginning to take up a lot of space.

Irish, my grandfather came over from County Mayo, which, coincidentally is the same region where my wife's people are from. She and I both grew up in Boston but in diffeent sections so we had no clue about the Irish connection when we met.   I'm named for my great-grandfather who hailed from the village Ballyhaunis.  

And your folks?

I think we all need to make more of an effort to start deleting some of the older posts, but that would please Leon too much and we wouldn't want that.  hehe

But that's an awesome story.  Small world, huh?  My mom's side comes from Donegal while my dad's side is from the Aran Islands.  Both sides came over around the same time and both settled in Woburn, Mass, ironically.

I'm named after my grandfather as well.  Blood runs thick in the Irish genetics.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

There's also something to be said about having the talent needed to win the Super Bowl.  Maybe rather than focusing on the Ravens having to let players like Boldin go this year, we should be focusing on the fact that they had a guy like this when they needed him in the playoffs last year? Is it really so bad to have to cut some players because of the cap if having them on the team last year meant you were well equipped to win the Championship--and actually did win? Maybe some day we'll all be watching the Accountant Bowl, but as of now, they don't give trophies for good salary cap management. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

My Sucks List:

1)     Arrington

2)      DMC

My not so Good List:

1)      Dink

That's true champ and woozy projecting that Bull crap.  Though sometimes I will say a player sucks as Pure Sarcasm.  I've been on 99% of the game chats since 2006 rooting hard for this team.   Glad to see you bleed green blood as well.Laughing

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

And your folks?

I think we all need to make more of an effort to start deleting some of the older posts, but that would please Leon too much and we wouldn't want that.  hehe

But that's an awesome story.  Small world, huh?  My mom's side comes from Donegal while my dad's side is from the Aran Islands.  Both sides came over around the same time and both settled in Woburn, Mass, ironically.

I'm named after my grandfather as well.  Blood runs thick in the Irish genetics.

Blood runs thick in oh so many ways among the Irish.  My male ancestors on my father's side back through my great-grandfather (including my father and grandfather) were all iron foundrymen.  I was disabused of the notion of following along one day in August when my father took me to the foundry where he worked.  I was 11 and never in my life before or since experienced a place so f***in hot.  

My son is tracing us back through ancestry.com.  He'll probably find that we've got a horse thief back there somewhere.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Continuity is nice if you have good players staying with the team.  The Ravens did in fact have lots of continuity for years, but players get old and contracts expire, so all teams have turnover.  The Pats have had plenty of it themselves in recent years, especially on defense.  Just look at all the change in the secondary from year to year.  This coming year may be the first we've had anything like continuity there in years.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

I agree, good points. Just to counter that though, I think the lack of enthusiasm comes from those players not maybe having a clean bill of health. I mean most people here should know that Seabass is a top tackle when healthy and we all agree Talib made this secondary better but those 2 guys play important roles and if they go down, I dont like the depth behind them. Common sense sais BB will adress these depth concerns via draft but I also epxress those same sentiments of maybe wanting them to look at ONE of the many CBs that are available this year in F.A. - It seems with this market, we could have got a couple 2nd tier guys at vet minimum but what do I know. These are the hardest times, waiting for the draft and the anxiety that comes with it. So I like Vollmer and Talib, not so much Arrington at 4 Million. Was thinking he would sign for 2m/yr to play slot and Im concerned with our depth at CB as well as Dennards future and Talibs Hip. Other than that, Im just hoping we get WR right this time in the draft.  

I like the approach of getting 3 guys instead of ONE blockbuster F/A  but I fear in the last couple years we just got the wrong guys. Fanene to a multiyear deal but he is Knee is Toast!?!??  Not like BB to missread that, and Gregory as your only safety addition after losing Barret, Brown, Page, Meriweather, Tank,, essentially Chung, in a 2 year span?? The year before, Ocho and Haynesworth!?!?  One was a self advertising twitter Ho and the other an underacheiving bad human being who quit after a big payday. I just think Brady deserves better help than that. Dont have to break the bank, but make smarter moves than that when Bradys window is closing.

I agree to an extent and can see the frustration/opposing views.  However, I think the fact that BB got Ocho and Haynesworth for a very LOW price was directly correlated to how he was trying to get supreme talent for a lower cost.  It's a good gamble.  Very high reward, low cost.  

Injuries happen, though.  It's a part of the game and happens to every team.  You can't be afraid to sign a guy just because he has had some injuries in the past.  An injury can literally happen on any play so I really don't think the injury risk-factor should be weighed as heavily as say, does the player fit our team's scheme. 

We will see what happens with the draft, through camp cuts, and what the opening day roster looks like.  But I will put money that BB will put this team in the best position to win, just like he does every year.  I don't think people realize the odds of winning a Super Bowl for every team is 1/32.  We have just as good of a chance, if not the best chance, to win every single season than any other team in the NFL.  But, things happen throughout the season and throughout each game.  They are all human who make mistakes, and each team, no matter how talented, are playing against fellow professional players who want to win just as badly as they do.  

Sections
Shortcuts