Tommy Kelly Signed

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Re: Tommy Kelly Signed

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

There's also something to be said about having the talent needed to win the Super Bowl.  Maybe rather than focusing on the Ravens having to let players like Boldin go this year, we should be focusing on the fact that they had a guy like this when they needed him in the playoffs last year? Is it really so bad to have to cut some players because of the cap if having them on the team last year meant you were well equipped to win the Championship--and actually did win? Maybe some day we'll all be watching the Accountant Bowl, but as of now, they don't give trophies for good salary cap management. 

You know where I stand on this issue, but I'll say it again.  We were a couple of plays away from 2 more Super Bowls.  Hell if Brady's knee doesn't explode we probably do better in 2008 and 2009 than we did.  If that idiot Broncos safety makes a routine play there is no SB for the Ravens.  Then they are dumping all these guys and we can all pontificate about how Newsome "wasted" one of the best defenses of all time for over a decade (sarcasm).  The point (which I think Belichick recognizes) is that the margin of error for winning a SB is razor thin and you need to get a couple of bounces to go your way (people forget the things we had go our way in 2001, 2003 and 2004).  Therefore he prefers to take a balanced approach and keep us competitive every year.  I still think it is the right strategy.  It hasn't paid off recently, but shi t happens basically.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

There's also something to be said about having the talent needed to win the Super Bowl.  Maybe rather than focusing on the Ravens having to let players like Boldin go this year, we should be focusing on the fact that they had a guy like this when they needed him in the playoffs last year? Is it really so bad to have to cut some players because of the cap if having them on the team last year meant you were well equipped to win the Championship--and actually did win? Maybe some day we'll all be watching the Accountant Bowl, but as of now, they don't give trophies for good salary cap management. 

You know where I stand on this issue, but I'll say it again.  We were a couple of plays away from 2 more Super Bowls.  Hell if Brady's knee doesn't explode we probably do better in 2008 and 2009 than we did.  If that idiot Broncos safety makes a routine play there is no SB for the Ravens.  Then they are dumping all these guys and we can all pontificate about how Newsome "wasted" one of the best defenses of all time for over a decade (sarcasm).  The point (which I think Belichick recognizes) is that the margin of error for winning a SB is razor thin and you need to get a couple of bounces to go your way (people forget the things we had go our way in 2001, 2003 and 2004).  Therefore he prefers to take a balanced approach and keep us competitive every year.  I still think it is the right strategy.  It hasn't paid off recently, but shi t happens basically.

If I may add to your post, pcmIV, which I agree with by the way, this approach is also advocated by the Kraft family, Robert in particular.  

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

All I'm saying is that it's silly to try to say the Pats' approach is clearly better than the Ravens' approach. The Ravens have been right in the mix for the past half dozen years and knocked the Pats out of the playoffs twice (and nearly a third time) since 2009. I think Belichick does a great job, but I can't honestly say he's head and shoulders above Ozzie Newsome, who's also managed to field consistently competitive teams year after year and who did win the Super Bowl last year (after destroying a clearly overmatched Pats team that was playing on its own home field). 

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKingII's comment:

All I'm saying is that it's silly to try to say the Pats' approach is better than the Ravens' approach. The Ravens have been right in the mix for the past half dozen years and knocked the Pats out of the playoffs twice (and nearly a third) time.  I thing Belichick does a great job, but I can't honestly say he's head and shoulders above Ozzie Newsome, who's also managed to field consistently competitive teams year after year and who did win the Super Bowl last year (after destroying a clearly overmatched Pats team that was playing on its own home field). 

Has NE missed the playoffs as much as Balt has? We missed them in 2002. Obviously, agt 11-5 with Cassel we did too, but let's just say we know their back up QB wouldn't be leading them through that division for a playoff spot either.

BB is clearly superior to that of Ozzie Newsome, but I do put Newsome up in the upper tier.

1. BB

2. Jerry Reese, Ozzie, Ted Thompson, Tom Dimtrioff

I think Mickey Loomis did a good job from 2006 on when he got Brees and such, but he's lost his edge big time down there. They're in deep trouble.

3. Every other NFL GM. There are a lot of mediocre or bad ones.

That's a reasonable perspective, Rusty.  If someonebwants to claim the Jets are terrible at talent and cap management I'll gladly agree, but the Ravens really do a nice job. Whether you think BB is better or not, anyone with an ounce of integrity has to recognize Newsomes success. 

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to jri37's comment:

The Pat's were up 13-7 to start the 2nd half and actually held Baltimore on the their 1st series to start the 2nd half. NE drove from it's own 9 to the Balt 34 and then  Welker dropped the ball on 3rd down. The entire complexsion of the game changed after that. Yes, from that point on Balt dominated but the Pat's were not overmatched. As a matter of fact the Pat's pretty much dominated the 1st half.

This is wrong.  We did not lose that game because Wes dropped the ball.  We lost because Hooman and Hernandez failed as blockers.  We lost because without Talib and a dinged up Chandler we didn't pressure Flacco and didn't do a great job covering.  There are a number of other reasons.  The turning point in that game was Ridley's fumble more than Wes' drop.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to jri37's comment:

All I'm saying is that it's silly to try to say the Pats' approach is better than the Ravens' approach. The Ravens have been right in the mix for the past half dozen years and knocked the Pats out of the playoffs twice (and nearly a third) time.  I thing Belichick does a great job, but I can't honestly say he's head and shoulders above Ozzie Newsome, who's also managed to field consistently competitive teams year after year and who did win the Super Bowl last year (after destroying a clearly overmatched Pats team that was playing on its own home field). 

The Pat's were up 13-7 to start the 2nd half and actually held Baltimore on the their 1st series to start the 2nd half. NE drove from it's own 9 to the Balt 34 and then  Welker dropped the ball on 3rd down. The entire complexsion of the game changed after that. Yes, from that point on Balt dominated but the Pat's were not overmatched. As a matter of fact the Pat's pretty much dominated the 1st half.

I wouldn't quite say dominated because they weren't getting points.  It reminded me of some Jets games where the Pats seemed to be outplaying their opponents in the first half, but not converting yards into points.   The second half, though, the Pats looked not only overmatched but downright demoralized to me. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

All I'm saying is that it's silly to try to say the Pats' approach is clearly better than the Ravens' approach. The Ravens have been right in the mix for the past half dozen years and knocked the Pats out of the playoffs twice (and nearly a third time) since 2009. I think Belichick does a great job, but I can't honestly say he's head and shoulders above Ozzie Newsome, who's also managed to field consistently competitive teams year after year and who did win the Super Bowl last year (after destroying a clearly overmatched Pats team that was playing on its own home field). 

Newsome is one of the top personnel men in the league.  I still think that despite the cuts they've had to make.  That doesn't mean they are in an enviable position now.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

Newsome is one of the top personnel men in the league.  I still think that despite the cuts they've had to make.  That doesn't mean they are in an enviable position now.

Another thing.  I don't think Newsome does things that differently from BB.  He relies on the draft and plugs gaps with low cost FA (which is what everyone seems to be complaining about here).  Bigger contracts are given to home grown guys.  The slight exception this year was Dumervil, but even that contract is a bit misleading.  It is pretty backloaded and I sincerely doubt he sees most of that money.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Newsome is doing some cutting this year, but he happens to also have 12 draft picks I believe, so maybe he's planned well to have picks on hand at the time he has to cut? 

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.