Tone Setter?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Baffle. Show Baffle's posts

Tone Setter?

What if the Pats opened their first drive with both Blount and Vereen in the backfield, let the Colts D ruminate on that for a few seconds before sending Vereen into motion. Gillette might detect a small glimmer of panic as Colts D react to it, before Brady finds Hooman running free.

I can dream right?

One thing is certain, we've still got some versatility on this team. Vereen/Develin/Hooman/Oline... they can attack you a few different ways.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Re: Tone Setter?

In response to Baffle's comment:

What if the Pats opened their first drive with both Blount and Vereen in the backfield, let the Colts D ruminate on that for a few seconds before sending Vereen into motion. Gillette might detect a small glimmer of panic as Colts D react to it, before Brady finds Hooman running free.

I can dream right?

One thing is certain, we've still got some versatility on this team. Vereen/Develin/Hooman/Oline... they can attack you a few different ways.

No offense, but THIS....

This is HOW you set the tone. You let your SS come up and commit a 15 yard penalty to ignite the D and SET THE TONE Defensively.  Man I miss those days....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mike-J-D. Show Mike-J-D's posts

I'm sure it's something the Colts have never seen before.  They'd have no idea how to counter a two back set... or Vereen in motion.  And the resulting 14 yard gain from the play will have them reeling for the next 59 1/2 minutes.  Dream big my friend.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Baffle. Show Baffle's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

I can dream right?

No offense, but THIS....

This is HOW you set the tone. You let your SS come up and commit a 15 yard penalty to ignite the D and SET THE TONE Defensively.  Man I miss those days....

Agreed. Gonna miss Spikes in that regard. Mr. BoomBoomPowwwww.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Was hoping that Spikes would play Chat Roulette with Luck... you know, a real, authentic prison style welcome to Foxboro!  Too bad he's on IR.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

I can dream right?

No offense, but THIS....

but yea a nice playaction to start would be nice but theyve struggled when they stated games with that call and Brady has gotten hit. Lets run it a little bit and then open it up. Im not worried about our O. I am worried that our soft zone will allow Luck to get comfy instead of coming after him.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Baffle. Show Baffle's posts

I can dream right?

No offense, but THIS....

but yea a nice playaction to start would be nice but theyve struggled when they stated games with that call and Brady has gotten hit. Lets run it a little bit and then open it up. Im not worried about our O. I am worried that our soft zone will allow Luck to get comfy instead of coming after him.

Yeah, I definitely want to see dedication to the run game. My line of thinking with opening with some subterfuge and going to Hoooman is because I think they fully expect us to run out of the gate. I'd want to capitalize on that.

As for Luck, are you leaning towards blitzing early and often? Might have the added benefit of keeping Brown in for protection... but we know what elite QBs can do to carve Ds up. Upside is I think we have our best cover guys the last 5 seasons...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

I can dream right?

No offense, but THIS....

Yeah, I definitely want to see dedication to the run game. My line of thinking with opening with some subterfuge and going to Hoooman is because I think they fully expect us to run out of the gate. I'd want to capitalize on that.

As for Luck, are you leaning towards blitzing early and often? Might have the added benefit of keeping Brown in for protection... but we know what elite QBs can do to carve Ds up. Upside is I think we have our best cover guys the last 5 seasons...

no def. wouldnt blitz too much but if its 3rd and long, I want to see one extra rusher atleast. Im tired of seeing teams control the top because of our bend but dont break D. Luck is good but he also makes mistakes when pressured and makes atleast 2 head scratching throws a game. More pressure, the likely he will serve them up. I would corner blitz from his right side so he cant run away and throw on the run without turning awkwardly.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

I can dream right?

No offense, but THIS....

Play action works better after you've established the run. The best play action results from the D biting on the run because they've been getting pounded with it on previous plays

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

Playing well for 60 minutes should set the tone just fine

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from getdrunkstupit. Show getdrunkstupit's posts

I can dream right?

No offense, but THIS....

those days when cheap shot harrison would come in and break teammates wrists.  no thanks

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to getdrunkstupit's comment:

I can dream right?

No offense, but THIS....

those days when cheap shot harrison would come in and break teammates wrists.  no thanks

Cheap shot?  If thats how you see it but it won us titles. How is Gregory doing in that area. Im sure you are happy watching as Gregory bounces off guys and they run for 1st downs...lol

whose wrist did he break?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

I can dream right?

No offense, but THIS....

Where do people get this idiocy?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

I can dream right?

No offense, but THIS....

ingrate, the guy won us the last SB and you act like he was a plauge.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Baffle. Show Baffle's posts

[/QUOTE]

no def. wouldnt blitz too much but if its 3rd and long, I want to see one extra rusher atleast. Im tired of seeing teams control the top because of our bend but dont break D. Luck is good but he also makes mistakes when pressured and makes atleast 2 head scratching throws a game. More pressure, the likely he will serve them up. I would corner blitz from his right side so he cant run away and throw on the run without turning awkwardly.

[/QUOTE]

I dig it. Enough so Luck's internal clock speeds up a little. Then show some wholesale blitz looks only to drop back and flood the short routes and see if we can generate some turnovers.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Baffle. Show Baffle's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

Was hoping that Spikes would play Chat Roulette with Luck... you know, a real, authentic prison style welcome to Foxboro!  Too bad he's on IR.

Hahaha... that's not a microphone boom that keeps dropping down from the top of the screen that keeps knocking Luck upside the forehead

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Baffle. Show Baffle's posts

In response to glenr's comment:

Play action works better after you've established the run. The best play action results from the D biting on the run because they've been getting pounded with it on previous plays

I agree. But I think (and purely within the scope of the opening drive) in the minds of the Colts D, I think we've already established the run between the last 2 games, their own ineffectiveness of containing the run, having Blount AND Vereen both in the backfield, the projected rain conditions on the field for Sat night, and a full week of thinking about what the Pats need to do to take control and win this game against them.

Everybody and their mother knows that the Pats are going to run it down their throats, so they already have to respect that. So for the opening play only, the rewards of taking that gimmicky gadget play shot far outweight the risks with doing it. Maybe the second and third play, show the exact same look but showcase the versatility. A fast start is critical, something we don't always check off the to do list, and this could lend a hand in that. Only helps everybody else out too, especially the running game, if they are forced to respect a TE or FB, along with our RBs/WRs. Coming out of the gate, they don't.

"They don't know that we know that they know we know" :p

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Baffle. Show Baffle's posts

In response to DeadAhead2's comment:

Pretty much what I laid out in the "Running In the Playoffs" thread.

Christ, I've been drooling over a designed check down to Hooman or even Blount as an early play with a formation like you suggested.

Or, even Develin. I remember in Atlanta this year, the second play was a set check down to Develin where he ran for like 15 yards after the catch. It totally set the tone.

I am telling ya right now, if Brady/McD stay disciplined with these kinds of concepts, we can win the SB.

It's what has been ailing us for years, obviously.

Brady and McD have their hand forced this year, we can't sling it around like we used to. The holes are too small in the playoffs, made even smaller by the lack of ranginess of our remaining recievers. Gronk and Dobson out. As a result, they've possibly grown this season and realize the patience and dedication it takes to build an EFFECTIVE run game. And boy do we have a stable this year. Maybe now they'll be more patient.

I'm also hoping for some sort of opening montage that shows each and every player lost over the course of this season... just so people realize the scope of talent that is sitting on the bench and the load that the coaching staff and active players have had to taken on to get us here.

We're playing with house money, what a story if we can get to the big one. It's been a fun ride no matter how ugly some moments were.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

Tone Loc...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OP5EnaaYjQ

Sections
Shortcuts