Tony Gonzalez. Yep. Again.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

Tony Gonzalez. Yep. Again.

So, the Steelers offered Jermichael Finley a deal, which he hasn't signed yet.  He's looking to up that offer by getting more of a medical opinion, likely a stronger one to update his status and drive price.

Dustin Keller is mysteriously very quiet with his situation.

This leaves me to ask:  What if Tony Gonzalez just doesn't want to be in a camp and could be lured by a certain to GM to play one more year as a back up to the best TE in the game (no, sorry, Jimmy Graham)?

I find it odd that he retired still playing very well, but also forced Atlanta to cut him as opposed to him announcing his retirement. That's the key element to all of this.

Come August, maybe after the 2nd preseason game, could this be a possibility?  I like Hooman, but after that there are too many projects even with Develin looking good as a roster lock as the much needed FB/TE hybrid BB wants.

Imagine a TE group of Gronk, Gonzalez and Hooman/Develin?

Discuss:

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoNotSleepOnThePats. Show DoNotSleepOnThePats's posts

Re: Tony Gonzalez. Yep. Again.

I think Tony G really wanted to retire after the 2012 season but was persuaded by the Falcons brass to give it another go because of how close they got to the Super Bowl.

But it has to be intriguing to come play for the Patriots for one last chance at a Super Bowl. Can Tony sit out all training camp and most of preseason and pick up the complex Patriots offense? That is the question. It seems interesting that the Falcons just straight up cut him instead of letting him file the necessary retirement papers.  And would CBS. let him out of his contract so quickly? Well probably.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

In response to DoNotSleepOnThePats' comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think Tony G really wanted to retire after the 2012 season but was persuaded by the Falcons brass to give it another go because of how close they got to the Super Bowl.

But it has to be intriguing to come play for the Patriots for one last chance at a Super Bowl. Can Tony sit out all training camp and most of preseason and pick up the complex Patriots offense? That is the question. It seems interesting that the Falcons just straight up cut him instead of letting him file the necessary retirement papers.  And would CBS. let him out of his contract so quickly? Well probably.

[/QUOTE]

Well, he'd likely be a spot player as a back up or on the field in the red zone in spread sets.  I highly doubt at this point of his career, that he couldn't quickly adjust or BB wouldn't  have maybe 25-40 plays he'd need to worry about as a role player.

As for CBS, I wouldn't be shocked if he took the job with a contingency clause in there that he could leave at any time to play again.

Otherwise, where is the official retirement as a Chief and the announcement? Until I see that, this possibility is still there, IMO.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoNotSleepOnThePats. Show DoNotSleepOnThePats's posts

Good points. Agreed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Footballexpert45. Show Footballexpert45's posts

I don't see Tony G. as a viable option.  The guy is retired and has no interest in playing football.  I would lean more towards active players in FA.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Rather than retire so the Falcons did not have to pay out to him, Tony forced the Falcons to release him, so they did not have to pay out to him.

Once released, Tony did not retire, is now a free agent, and can sign where he pleases (to the highest bidder)

The Falcons get screwed

Sleazy Tony?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Yes, so sleazy that he came back to help them and they dropped the ball. I am not sure why there has to always be professional wrestling type good guys and bad guys in every story, every scenario...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME2. Show NEGAME2's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Rather than retire so the Falcons did not have to pay out to him, Tony forced the Falcons to release him, so they did not have to pay out to him.

Once released, Tony did not retire, is now a free agent, and can sign where he pleases (to the highest bidder)

The Falcons get screwed

Sleazy Tony?

[/QUOTE]

well maybe if Mattyice (lol) could get them into some playoff games with some hope of at least  getting to Super Bowl--he wouldn't have done that.  I don't blame any of these star players who at the end of their careers want to play for a team who has the potential to go to the SB

Screw the Falcons.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to NEGAME2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Falcons get screwed

Sleazy Tony?

[/QUOTE]

well maybe if Mattyice (lol) could get them into some playoff games with some hope of at least  getting to Super Bowl--he wouldn't have done that.  I don't blame any of these star players who at the end of their careers want to play for a team who has the potential to go to the SB

Screw the Falcons.

[/QUOTE]

Tony signed with CBS

seems greedy to me

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

But if had signed with ESPN?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

In response to BostonSportsFan111's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Lol!  Rkrap exposed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoNotSleepOnThePats. Show DoNotSleepOnThePats's posts

In response to DougIrwin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Lol!  Rkrap exposed.

[/QUOTE]

Certainly isn't the first time.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

What diff would it be?

Tony screwed the Falcons not to sign with a SB contender, he signed with CBS

Atl was very good to Tony, very fair. Showed him a lot of love wanting him back for one more year. What does he do? Stabs them in the back on his way out.

Exposed? Hardly

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

How did he screw the Falcons? He signed a one year contract before the 2013 season (after the strong rumor that he was going to retire after 2012) and honored that contract. He is no longer under contract with them, he is free to become a broadcaster with CBS, or sign with another team if he chooses to, or do anything else he wants with his life. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

How did he screw the Falcons? He signed a one year contract before the 2013 season (after the strong rumor that he was going to retire after 2012) and honored that contract. He is no longer under contract with them, he is free to become a broadcaster with CBS, or sign with another team if he chooses to, or do anything else he wants with his life. 

Rkrap isn't too bright.  He is actually fearful bb may make a call to tony Gs agent next month.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He wouldnt, and still hasnt retired, forcing Atl to release him. 

Tony would have screwed up the cap, he simply could have retired

greedy

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

This is just wrong.  He signed a 2 year contract with the Falcons and then forced them to cut him instead of retiring (which would have allowed them to retain his rights).  If Gonzalez does come back this season he did screw the Falcons.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

This is just wrong.  He signed a 2 year contract with the Falcons and then forced them to cut him instead of retiring (which would have allowed them to retain his rights).  If Gonzalez does come back this season he did screw the Falcons.

[/QUOTE]
    If he comes back.  Rkrap said he already screwed them.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You are correct, my mistake. I thought it was a one year contract because there was so much talk about whether he would play at all after 2012. The article I saw said when he signed the two year deal he said there was no guarantee he would play in 2014, and that was early in 2013. HIs choice on whether to retire, but if he's going to play he should honor his deal and go back to the Falcons.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

Pats TEs:  Gronk, Hooman, Develin.  Isn't it obvious Gronk will be ready by the opener? 

There's not even a Keller invite. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

In response to croc's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Pats TEs:  Gronk, Hooman, Develin.  Isn't it obvious Gronk will be ready by the opener? 

There's not even a Keller invite. 

[/QUOTE]

probably the correct analysis

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from theshinez. Show theshinez's posts

Man, I keep hoping we will trade for Joseph Fauria in Detroit or someone like that. They already have Petigrew and Ebron. There's no way they can keep all 3?....right?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

It's possible TG may go the Seau route.  Long in tooth, but with a little left in the tank to make a run at that elusive piece of jewelery.  I think the large reason we have been so quite on the TE front is because Gronk is ahead of schedule in his recovery.  Still, bold move on the Pats to rely on someone who not only can't stay healthy, but also may be exceedingly gun shy at this point. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from FishTaco64. Show FishTaco64's posts

I think the guy is content to be done, which is a shame. He would be a great fill-in if Gronk is not ready opening day....and when Gronk is healthy....can you just imagine that 1-2 punch down in the Red Zone? There would be no way to defend both of those guys in that situation. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In response to DougIrwin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to DoNotSleepOnThePats' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Well, he'd likely be a spot player as a back up or on the field in the red zone in spread sets.  I highly doubt at this point of his career, that he couldn't quickly adjust or BB wouldn't  have maybe 25-40 plays he'd need to worry about as a role player.

As for CBS, I wouldn't be shocked if he took the job with a contingency clause in there that he could leave at any time to play again.

Otherwise, where is the official retirement as a Chief and the announcement? Until I see that, this possibility is still there, IMO.

[/QUOTE]

Belichick would probably play him on PAT's

Sections
Shortcuts