Too Blitz or Not to Blitz

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Too Blitz or Not to Blitz

Weve had 3 games now we have played where 2 of them we blitzed(Rams, Colts) and the one in between (bills game) we didnt. There has been much discussion about this group and wether or not bltizing would help them or make it worse.

Now yesterday we blitzed far more than other game this season and I dont know if it was because of the young QB back there or if BB is just turning over a new leaf but I found it interesting how after the Colts had got to 14 pts and looked like they would go for 40, I saw BB over on the sideline talking to Matty P basically saying.. "ok, This LuckF*ck kid is getting ready to chew up this zone crap so its time to dial it up, make this kid feel the heat and get the ball out quick or its gonna be a long day"

Because AFTER that, It was an All OUT Assault on a majority of the plays and I enjoyed watching errant pass after errant pass all the while thinking of Zelbino saying "you cant blitz because it leaves less in coverage"

SO WHAT!  It makes the QB throw errant passes and earlier than he wants. NOw I will admit that late in the game after it was in control, I thought they should dial it back a bit, but they were obviously having fun with it. I recall the deep ball he overthrew he was pressured too and if he had time, he def. connects. I hope this blitzing continues and are starters are Talib and Dennard who both specialize in man/press.

p.s.

NO MORE KYLE ARRINGTON!!! PLEASE N THANK YOU!!!!

I been saying for 2 years that the guy cant play man coverage! I mean it was a nice story and all but the guy was a career special teamer. He makes some plays in zone when he can see in front of him but chasing WRs, he is TOAST. I have not seen ONE play this year where he hasnt looked absolutely Lost in coverage past 15 yards. That P/I he got was just a Panic move. Grabbing the guy when all he had to do was look and put his hand up. Dude is a BIG laibility and I want to see Marquis Cole in the slot and Arrington as the Dime and hope Qbs dont make it their 4th read....Jeesh this guy is terrible and why we have played zone so much because thats ALL he can do. With him out the lineup, we can play agressive with Talib and Fonzy!  I thoroughly enjoyed that game and it was great to see my point made. I Do however welcome any discussions on the matter. Please open it up...

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Re: Too Blitz or Not to Blitz

Depends on the opponant on frequency of blitz packages. It is critical imo to blitz Sanchez. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

Depends on the opponant on frequency of blitz packages. It is critical imo to blitz Sanchez. 

Exactly!  Why did we let him go wild last game??  It should be automatic that we make Sanchez look bad. Thats why I was so mad at it. I understand not blitzing the Elite Qbs too much but why would you let a guy that S*cks like get Comfy!  I just love that BB saw what was happening and went to make the change with Matty to a more agressive style. I texted my buddy in the 4th saying, ok maybe its time to dial it back and he was like NO, keep it coming!  Thats how you pressure a QB with a lead and not let him sit back and make throws. Im sure we could have done it more and I hope it continues at the right times.

I made sure I kept count and most the completions came with no blitz.

N.P., I love When Spikes goes up the middle but alot of folks were blitzing yesterday . They even found a role for arrington coming off the edge and thats fine cuz lord knows he cant cover. I dont thnk he can cover the slot either. Marquis Cole is better than him!

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to bobbysu's comment:

What the Non blitzing Posters dont understand is we just dont have the Dominant D-Line yet not to do it. Todays NFL is different, totally set-up that if you dont have pressure on the QB, that ALL DB's are in trouble. It happens in every game not just the Pats. What Patricia needs to do is do it in situations, Field Position, Down and Dinstance, and the Offensive Line-up on that play.

Pats are a team that need to blitz more, put too much pressure on DB's without Pressure. Word here is pressure, the Sack is nice, but getting the QB, moving, keep him more worried about the pressure than looking downfield. Of course you are going to get burned time to time, but with no blitzing this team gets hurt on too many plays. Less 3 and outs. Take your chances and get the OFFENSE back on the field as fast as possible.

Exactly, I dont care about sacks. Its better to actually let them throw under pressure because INTs are better than sacks. We converted 2 of them directly into TDs, so it doesnt get any better than that. MY problem was people saying, We are already getting burnt , why keep less in coverage. They completely miss the point that a QB can pick apart ANY defense with 18 guys back in coverage if you give them forever to throw. With you going from giving the QB 6 seconds to now maybe 2 or 3 seconds, thats the Gift and most DBs will take advantage, except for Arrington.  Did I mention he S*cks! Well he can tackle and play zone but outside of that.....wow..

Now that C.Jones may be out, its gonna be a lot more blitzing or back to Death by a thousand completions

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

There's blitzing and then there's blitzing.  Spikes up the middle makes sense to me; he is disruptive.  Well designed, well timed blitzes from the edge make sense either with Mayo, Hightower or a CB make sense to me.  When I say well designed I mean an appropriate mix depending on the play of either man or zone behind the blitz. 

What does not make sense to me is blitzing on every play.  The secondary, in my opinion, is not experienced enough as yet to deal with that.

My 2 cents.

Oh, and Arrington on the inside is effective enough.  On the outside not so much.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Someone threw a stat out there that showed NE was last in the NFL in sending extra men. They didn't verify. I would be shocked if that were the case. 

Like any play you run on offense or defense, it's ultimately a situational call. You do not blitz for the sake of blitzing. You blitz against teams that are susceptible to it, or are in a package that is favorable for it. 

Last night it worked like a charm. 

Think what the score of that game might have been??? Two pick six's and a fumble rec and one straight pick. All Luck errors, all on the blitz. And all three picks (iirc) came on the zone blitz.

NE probably still puts up 30+ on offense, but without those, so do the Colts, and it's actually a close game. Much, much closer to what we saw against Buffalo. 

Luck's mistakes were the difference, and they were mistakes caused by pressure. 

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to Neal Page's comment:

For me the Bend but dont Break Defense doesn't make sense with our Offense.

We'll see if Patricia changed his philosphy with the Jets. Of all the QB's we face, Sanchez is terrible under pressure, he makes more dumb mistakes when Defenders are in his face. Fumbles, throws int's right to people, just bad decisions.

Jets will crank up the Running Game, so Pats better start there, and blitz when Down and Distance is to our advantage.

I think it depends.  I think there is a strategy there.  BB is great at baiting QBs into a self assured position in the red zone. It's harder to score in the red zone than it is in between the 20s (through the air).

That said, if you aren't stopping the run and defendig the pass well in that area, then yeah, ir a problem.

Not sure what the final stats are from yesterday, but the D was again off to a slow start aided by a bad PI play, obviously. The Run D has been off 2 weeks in a row, but if it's on like it usually is, the bend don't break is not the real problem for this D, IMO.

The more balanced an offense the D is facing, I think it works pretty well. They get 2 turnovers per game, keep the run game from hurting them and then keep offenses to 20 points or less.

That's all assuming our own offense isn't sputtering or turning it over. 

I hear what you saying about strategy. here is my thing though. BB wants the Offense to basically bleed out its 3rd down package. Each team will have maybe 10 or so plays they go to in 3rd down situations and when BB makes you go the lengh of the field all the while making notes on his pad, he is setting himself up to succeed later because he will have seen all you have to offer. by half time most times the team has has 5-10 3rd down opptys already and this sets up for a 2nd half in which you can predict what plays will be called and try to catch them with a coverage that takes advantage so I get WHY BB likes to make offenses work and show alot but I think it had run its course this year and it was time for change and everyone from Troy Brown to the biggest homer Fred Smerlas was saying is in the last couple weeks as even they Had seen enough. Bodes well for later on because now Qbs wont come here licking their chops and they may actually be a bit reluctant to throw for a  change

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

For me the Bend but dont Break Defense doesn't make sense with our Offense.

We'll see if Patricia changed his philosphy with the Jets. Of all the QB's we face, Sanchez is terrible under pressure, he makes more dumb mistakes when Defenders are in his face. Fumbles, throws int's right to people, just bad decisions.

Jets will crank up the Running Game, so Pats better start there, and blitz when Down and Distance is to our advantage.

I think it depends.  I think there is a strategy there.  BB is great at baiting QBs into a self assured position in the red zone. It's harder to score in the red zone than it is in between the 20s (through the air).

That said, if you aren't stopping the run and defendig the pass well in that area, then yeah, ir a problem.

Not sure what the final stats are from yesterday, but the D was again off to a slow start aided by a bad PI play, obviously. The Run D has been off 2 weeks in a row, but if it's on like it usually is, the bend don't break is not the real problem for this D, IMO.

The more balanced an offense the D is facing, I think it works pretty well. They get 2 turnovers per game, keep the run game from hurting them and then keep offenses to 20 points or less.

That's all assuming our own offense isn't sputtering or turning it over. 

I hear what you saying about strategy. here is my thing though. BB wants the Offense to basically bleed out its 3rd down package. Each team will have maybe 10 or so plays they go to in 3rd down situations and when BB makes you go the lengh of the field all the while making notes on his pad, he is setting himself up to succeed later because he will have seen all you have to offer. by half time most times the team has has 5-10 3rd down opptys already and this sets up for a 2nd half in which you can predict what plays will be called and try to catch them with a coverage that takes advantage so I get WHY BB likes to make offenses work and show alot but I think it had run its course this year and it was time for change and everyone from Troy Brown to the biggest homer Fred Smerlas was saying is in the last couple weeks as even they Had seen enough. Bodes well for later on because now Qbs wont come here licking their chops and they may actually be a bit reluctant to throw for a  change

I also think BB likes to wait as long as possible to show things on film. It's clear he has fast players at the line and Spikes is just so talented in terms of having the feel for the game, it appears BB has what he wants.

I think he'd rater not do it just to not have to show it, thinking down the line in the postseason when he wants to pull it out of the bag. With a younger, more discombobulated secondary in recent years, it's made it look worse than it really is, which is what I have been saying.

I don't really care about yards in the air or who looks like what in the regular season. I care about what they can  do, how many bullets BB has iin the chamber, so to speak, in JANAURY.

Show as much on offense as possible, as little as possible on D.  That's my theory.  Overwhelm on offense, surprise on D.

No one is better at this than BB.  Talib changes the landscape, obviously. BB can now feel more comfortable in man on the perimeter with Talib and Dennard (one of the best press guys coming out in the draft).

Exactly. As long as he keeps Dennard and Talib starting who both play man/press well we can start to evolve and create pressure more often and it also allows you to be more flexible and I love how Talib plays. Tackles well and is always close to his man. He had like one or bad plays but I chalk it up to not playing for a month. He is gonna help Big Time!

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

now now boys...Lets stat on topic. Ignore the NOISE!

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

In response to LessPhatRex's comment:

I never said he budgeted for dead money, I said he concedes that some contracts may not work out, like they do for all teams.

So, yes, a part of the budget is likely set aside for expecting some players not to work out.  It's called planning ahead. Something your pathetic organization has no idea how to do.

Are you saying BB signed TBC and Bodden & Ocho to muti year deals expecting they wouldn't work out and he's pay them for two or three years they didn't play on the team?

Rexy my child did you get tossed from the site again? How's those SB bound Jets working out this year? At least your hero Rex didn't have to ball like a baby after yesterdays game. Who knows you might even finish the season above .500

Sections
Shortcuts