Too many stupid, panicky, freaked out fans.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hardright. Show hardright's posts

Re: Too many stupid, panicky, freaked out fans.

In Response to Re: Too many stupid, panicky, freaked out fans.:
    It happens after every loss. Everything gets over-analyzed. It's pretty simple really, especially in the playoffs, the team that makes the least mistakes and commits the least turnovers generally wins the game.
    Posted by digger0862

I haven't been around here for nearly as long as some of you other guys, but based on what I've seen here it also happens after every win that's not "perfect" in the eyes of some fans.

I lived in Miami during the true heyday of the Miami Hurricanes' dominant run (early 90s), and the fans down there were just as bad. The team went 11-0 in back-to-back seasons (1991-92) and shared a national championship with Washington in 1991, but  half the fanbase never could seem to do anything else but complain about Dennis Erickson, because: A) they weren't "dominating teams" every week; and B) he'd followed Jimmy Johnson as head coach and, well, he wasn't Jimmy Johnson.

I hate to see Pats fans turning into that, but it appears that a lot of them have.

Take it from someone who once fell victim to that mentality (guilty-as-charged, spoiled Celtics fan of the Bird-era teams): you will miss these "imperfect" wins and regular playoff appearances once they stop coming on a regular basis, as they did for the Celtics for about 20 freakin' years, and you'll wonder why you ever complained so much about having a team that may not win the title, but at least has a sniff at it every year.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

yeah, it's kinda early to start panicking. I could see if the Patriots were 1-3 or something. Alot of fans bring their bi-polar personalities into the forum.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

I haven't been around here for nearly as long as some of you other guys, but based on what I've seen here it also happens after every win that's not "perfect" in the eyes of some fans. I lived in Miami during the true heyday of the Miami Hurricanes' dominant run (early 90s), and the fans down there were just as bad. The team went 11-0 in back-to-back seasons (1991-92) and shared a national championship with Washington in 1991, but  half the fanbase never could seem to do anything else but complain about Dennis Erickson, because: A) they weren't "dominating teams" every week; and B) he'd followed Jimmy Johnson as head coach and, well, he wasn't Jimmy Johnson. I hate to see Pats fans turning into that, but it appears that a lot of them have. Take it from someone who once fell victim to that mentality (guilty-as-charged, spoiled Celtics fan of the Bird-era teams): you will miss these "imperfect" wins and regular playoff appearances once they stop coming on a regular basis, as they did for the Celtics for about 20 freakin' years, and you'll wonder why you ever complained so much about having a team that may not win the title, but at least has a sniff at it every year.  
    Posted by hardright

Yup, it's nearly impossible to put together a complete team in the NFL nowadays. With the salary cap and a lack of elite talent to go around at certain positions for all teams (see quarterbacks and cornerbacks), there will be weak spots.

I remember saying to my friends after another disappointing Patriots season in the early eighties, "At least we can count on the Celtics!"

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoNotSleepOnThePats. Show DoNotSleepOnThePats's posts

Thumbs up to this thread.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rerun85. Show Rerun85's posts

Do we have an equally derogatory term for rose-colored wearing koolaid drinking BB brown nosing fans?
    Posted by BubbaInHawaii

I'm pretty sure they're called Fans.Wink

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

What is that saying....he without sin cast the first stone? does it give your own life just a little more meaning when you start calling other posters names? this happens often, and it dissappoints me.
    Posted by pats-fan-2007

yes, it does.  how small of me.  i will seek therapy.  

And I'm concerned about the team, for sure.  Voicing a concern is one thing, but these Comunist-Contrarian/Rajon Rondo flavored insane posts are really getting out of hand.  "Can we stop calling Belichick a genius"  is a great example of what I mean.  Burning down the house because you don't like the carpet.  

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoNotSleepOnThePats. Show DoNotSleepOnThePats's posts

Exactly. Do people even joy the ride anymore?  It's like a 12 year old whining girl as she gets on the roller coaster, whining all the way to the top. I also wonder if people would seriously make these comments in public or if they do it for the shock factor behind a keyboard.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing

I have often wondered if half the people who post comments on articles on ESPN.com or profootballtalk.com or on here would talk that way in a real life sports conversation.  Case in point, I live in Virginia now and most of the friends I have are fans of the Redskins, Steelers, Ravens, Cowboys, and other teams and not a single one of them ever says the Patriots titles are tainted because of the video taping or half the BS you read whenever an article about the Patriots or Tom Brady or Bill Belichick is written.  Internet tough guy is a term that exists for a reason. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from painter. Show painter's posts

Why doesn't Bill send someone down to LSU to hire their defensive team - coaches and players?  Or, have 100 players on the team.  Oh, yeah, that one's not happening.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

In Response to Re: Too many stupid, panicky, freaked out fans. : I seriously do not recall any Boston sports fan like the ones we see on this board.  Even the Celts fans in the 1980s weren't this obnoxious when they didn't see a winner every year. Bruins fans and older Sox fans (not the newer wine and cheese ones) are very knowledgeable. The Pats fan, or the new Pats fan is so spoiled and irrational, it's essentially what the Yankee fan base is, and it pains me to say that. All the young Yankee fans are that obnoxious.  They think they are entitled to a WS win every year. As a diehard Pats fan remembering the Sullivan years very well, I refuse to morph into that belligerent Yankee fan.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing

I have stuck by the Boston sports teams since I was a kid in the early 80's....Through the good and bad!  I have course been annoyed and frustrated at times but I have never been a fairweather fan like so many of the people on this board.  Many people think a season is an utter failure if a championship is not won! Teams can't win championships every year, but some people do not understand that!

I feel like my being a fan for over 30 years years, has paid off in big ways over the past 10 years!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Thread of the week, some real shenanigans going on around these parts
    Posted by andrewmcintosh

Why are you blaming me?

Cause.. cause.. cause that helicopter, well it makes you seem like that kind of guy!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from boomerst3. Show boomerst3's posts

In Response to Too many stupid, panicky, freaked out fans.:
    Yeah, the year isn't going like we imagined.. and the defense needs to step up.  BUT we are 2-1, lots of chances for things to pick up, and the team is in a good position.  I wish people would calm down and stop attacking everything and everyone related to the Patriots.  They are fine.  
    Posted by Davedsone

Oh really ? What is the " good position" the team is in? Other than a very good offense that didn't score enough to overcome the terrible defense. ( last in the league)

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from boomerst3. Show boomerst3's posts

In Response to Re: Too many stupid, panicky, freaked out fans. : What would be a better way to describe those type of "fans"? Pink- hat fans, fair-weather fans, bandwagon jumpers, annoyed fans (until they win again).........or something else? 
    Posted by Rocky

How about calling them objective fans concerned about the terrible defense we have seen so far this year? Rather than blind loyalists who each year insist how great the team is, in spite of evidence to the contrary the past 4 years or so. Why be like blind Red Sox fans who insisted up to the last day that fans were over reacting? To point out the obvious weakness on the team doesn't mean you are not a true fan. If you are not freaking out about this defense, very weak to begin with, now burdened by injuries to many starters, the you are either blind or a rah rah college type fan who has no clue of reality. We all love the team, which is why we worry about how bad the defense is. 21-0 lead against Buffalo and they lose? That's on the offense as well.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

In Response to Re: Too many stupid, panicky, freaked out fans. : How about calling them objective fans concerned about the terrible defense we have seen so far this year? Rather than blind loyalists who each year insist how great the team is, in spite of evidence to the contrary the past 4 years or so. Why be like blind Red Sox fans who insisted up to the last day that fans were over reacting? To point out the obvious weakness on the team doesn't mean you are not a true fan. If you are not freaking out about this defense, very weak to begin with, now burdened by injuries to many starters, the you are either blind or a rah rah college type fan who has no clue of reality. We all love the team, which is why we worry about how bad the defense is. 21-0 lead against Buffalo and they lose? That's on the offense as well.
    Posted by boomerst3

No I am not a College Football Fan....Sure I was frustrated when the Bill loss...The D is very disappointing after 3 games.  I am disappointed in McCourty after a great rookie season.  I am frustrated with the pass rush.  I am annoyed that the Patriots are on track to give up the most yards in the history of the NFL. 

But, I am not a the point like some fans, that think the season is over and there is no way they will make the playoffs.  I am not a blind loyalist who think the Patriots are a great team every year, but I do think they are typically a strong football team.

I am not a fair weather fan who will jump off the bandwagon and jump back on.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2012. Show Evil2012's posts

Most of those ranting about the defense have no clue as to what they're talking about. The league is changing the game. DBs are flagged for sneezing on receivers. The area defenders can hit while tackling is becoming the size of a postage stamp. Taking care of the football is becoming even more important.

Case in point...The poster who tried to excuse 3 of Brady's INTs as 'long punts'. When I reminded him that one of those was a red zone pick that took an easy 3 points away he went into a rant about Brady being a HOF quarterback. As if that excused him. I didn't even bother to point out that another gave the ball back to the Bills one play after the defense got a turnover. The bottom line from last week wasn't the D being bad it was the simple fact that you can't turn the ball over 4 times and win.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stompper. Show Stompper's posts

In Response to Re: Too many stupid, panicky, freaked out fans. : How about calling them objective fans concerned about the terrible defense we have seen so far this year? Rather than blind loyalists who each year insist how great the team is, in spite of evidence to the contrary the past 4 years or so. Why be like blind Red Sox fans who insisted up to the last day that fans were over reacting? To point out the obvious weakness on the team doesn't mean you are not a true fan. If you are not freaking out about this defense, very weak to begin with, now burdened by injuries to many starters, the you are either blind or a rah rah college type fan who has no clue of reality. We all love the team, which is why we worry about how bad the defense is. 21-0 lead against Buffalo and they lose? That's on the offense as well.
    Posted by boomerst3

By and far the most logical and well written response to a post I have seen in a long time.
      Some of the so called "Loyalists" are usually the biggest buffoons going, one of which I won't mention due to his ineptitude and classless ability by which he tries to degrade anyone that is not in line with his totally stirred and delusional parasitosis brain.
    That being said, this game will surely expose if the Pats defense will fix itself or be the problem that grows all year.
    Lets hope for the best, and please dont feed the delusional, oh so righteous, self proclaimed, innate monkey that thinks he has all the answers. Yell 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Most of those ranting about the defense have no clue as to what they're talking about. The league is changing the game. DBs are flagged for sneezing on receivers. The area defenders can hit while tackling is becoming the size of a postage stamp. Taking care of the football is becoming even more important. Case in point...The poster who tried to excuse 3 of Brady's INTs as 'long punts'. When I reminded him that one of those was a red zone pick that took an easy 3 points away he went into a rant about Brady being a HOF quarterback. As if that excused him. I didn't even bother to point out that another gave the ball back to the Bills one play after the defense got a turnover. The bottom line from last week wasn't the D being bad it was the simple fact that you can't turn the ball over 4 times and win.
    Posted by Evil2012

Don't forget the 2 bogus roughing the passer calls that dug the Bills out of holes that led to touchdowns. The league needs to get a handle on this, but I know they won't.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I have read that it's too early to panic but let me say this... If the Patriots lose to Oakland today then I am in full panic mode!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2012. Show Evil2012's posts

In Response to Re: Too many stupid, panicky, freaked out fans. : Don't forget the 2 bogus roughing the passer calls that dug the Bills out of holes that led to touchdowns. The league needs to get a handle on this, but I know they won't.
    Posted by digger0862

This is the new reality of the league's latest attempt to expand their fan base by turning the game into a offensive free for all. Defensive games are boring to casual fans who don't appreciate the history of the game. So now if a defender sneezes on a receiver he's flagged.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2012. Show Evil2012's posts

I have read that it's too early to panic but let me say this... If the Patriots lose to Oakland today then I am in full panic mode!!
    Posted by BradyMossFan

Why does everyone try to ignore the fact that both Oakland and Buffalo are much improved? In the AFC east the team that should be most worried is the Jets. If anything we need to beat the Raiders because the Bills already beat them. If we beat the Bills next meeting and they lose to the Chargers we're back on even footing.

By the time December comes around we could see the Chargers and Raiders fighting in the west, Steelers and Ravens in the north and the Pats and Bills in the east. Thats 6 teams going for 5 playoff spots.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Why does everyone try to ignore the fact that both Oakland and Buffalo are much improved? In the AFC east the team that should be most worried is the Jets. If anything we need to beat the Raiders because the Bills already beat them. If we beat the Bills next meeting and they lose to the Chargers we're back on even footing. By the time December comes around we could see the Chargers and Raiders fighting in the west, Steelers and Ravens in the north and the Pats and Bills in the east. Thats 6 teams going for 5 playoff spots.
    Posted by Evil2012

The Bills should win today and if the Patriots lose then the Jets will be playing like mad men this evening.  And if they should pull the upset and beat the Ravens then its going to be a very bad position for the Patriots to be in.

But I'm really counting on a Patriots victory today and a Jets loss this evening so if things go as planned then my panic mode is turned off at this point.

Sections
Shortcuts