Too Start the Game???

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Re: Too Start the Game???

I'd say kick to the Jets, stop their run, force them to punt and then score a TD.

They just continue to mouth off:

"I don't want to give the Patriots any bulletin-board material, but that last game was a fluke," said Slauson, who may have done just that.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

I can't think of a reason not to want the ball first in the second half, as opposed to at the beginning of the game. Playing defense first does two things: It allows you to get a look at what your opponent is going to do on offense right off the bat, so your defensive coaches in the booth can begin countering; and it gives you the opportunity to get the initial stop and set the tone for the game.

I don't think the Pats need to worry about New Jersey running away from them in a shootout. That's simply not going to happen.

Defer . . .   defer . . .  defer.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauldeba. Show pauldeba's posts

Playing the clock to get last possession of the first half and then have the ball to start the second half can be killer.  It can wipeout a 14 point lead for the other guys without the other offense seeing the field or extend a 14 point lead.  It can be demoralizing.

Scoring on the first drive can never do that, so much time left and your offense hasn't had a chance yet.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

I'm in favor of getting the ball first and scoring, then making them play from behind.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

So far they seem to want the ball first in the second half.  It's just the way they seem to prefer it.  But whatever.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

How about pulling a GB and try an on-side kick to totally shock the Jets?  Then when the Pats recover and drive the field to score a TD, they do it again!  Wouldn't it be a laugher to be up two scores and the Jets have yet to have a possession?

Yeah, a good dream, isn't it?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

In Response to Re: Too Start the Game???:
    [QUOTE]How about pulling a GB and try an on-side kick to totally shock the Jets?  Then when the Pats recover and drive the field to score a TD, they do it again!  Wouldn't it be a laugher to be up two scores and the Jets have yet to have a possession? Yeah, a good dream, isn't it?
    Posted by agcsbill[/QUOTE]

The risk-reward for a strategy like this is astronomical in favor of the Pats. If the Pats recovered an opening on-side kick and went on to score a touchdown, the game would be over right there. New Jersey would never recover from that shock. And if they try it and it doesn't work, it's still just the Jests marginal offense out there. I actually like the strategy in this particular case . . .  and the idea of on-side kicking again -- after you just did it -- makes sense, too.

How freakin' hilarious would that be?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rerun85. Show Rerun85's posts

BB is a Deferring madman this year. The way I see it he expects his team to outplay the opponent in the first half and then, for the Coup De Grace, we open the 2nd half with possession and get to try and set the tempo for the rest of the game. When you win 14 games I guess there really is no wrong decision but it does make him look a little smarter.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from capecodwilly. Show capecodwilly's posts

Frankly I wanted them to get the ball first in their last game, which they did because Rex deferred. The Pats for some time have been good at scoring on opening drives and though they had to settle for a field goal in their last game with the Jests, I think it immediately threw doubt on their ability to stop the Pats. Then I believe, we scored TDs on our next two possessions and the rout was on. I'd love to see us start the same way this time without giving them the chance to get any offensive confidence and shaking up their overrated defense.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

I like an onside kick, also I think the Pats should go for it on every 4th down.  I'd like to see them split Wilfork out wide to catch a pass and have Brady kick an extra point. 

I want them to do everything to show that they are not serious about this game because it is not a competive matchup.  Sometime in the 4th quarter when they are up 49-3 I would like to see a delay of game penalty because the Pats are too busy watching the pregame show to the next football game on the jumbotron and forgot thier own game was still going on.  Then they can throw a pass at Rex on the sideline, throw one to Tomlinson and just out of boredom go for it on 4th again and throw a TD with Brady pointing at Rex on the sideline while the ball is in the air.  Time runs out game over.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ASO9771. Show ASO9771's posts

Then they can throw a pass at Rex on the sideline,

HAhaahahha , Brady scrambling, runs towards the jets bench and just rifles one to the side of Rex's big azz blockhead....  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

I like the run of your thinking, shenanigan, and more than anything I would like to see New England embarass the Jests yet again. While I wouldn't realistically expect to see the kind of antics New Jersey so richly deserves, I do think it's possible Belichick might run up the score, should the opportunity present itself. Of course, last time, the Pats actually throttled back a little late in the game, and still won by 42.

I'm just not seeing how New Jersey can be competitive in this game.

That's the kind of thinking that can come back to bite me, I know . . .   but they're just so pathetic.

Undecided

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from gr82bme. Show gr82bme's posts

[QUOTE]I can't think of a reason not to want the ball first in the second half, as opposed to at the beginning of the game. Playing defense first does two things: It allows you to get a look at what your opponent is going to do on offense right off the bat, so your defensive coaches in the booth can begin countering; and it gives you the opportunity to get the initial stop and set the tone for the game. I don't think the Pats need to worry about New Jersey running away from them in a shootout. That's simply not going to happen. Defer . . .   defer . . .  defer.
    Posted by p-mike[/QUOTE]

I agree wholeheartedly - however, knowing Rex, I wouldn't be surprised if, in the event we didn't defer, that he'd try something loopy like an on-side kick.  In fact, if I were the Pats, I'd be leery of that the entire game. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from knoxvillepat. Show knoxvillepat's posts

Take the ball in the second half..Agree with previous comment that it really the only time you can actually get the ball on 2 consecutive possessions, assuming you had the ball to end the half. You come out after the half with adjustments in place and can act on those right away. You can bench an offense for the last drive of the half, the half  and the first drive of the second half, that can be up to an hour off the field in some cases. You take the opening kick and go 3 and out and you are in a hole. With being at home, the crowd pumped, the defense pumped, I think the odds of the visting team going 3 and out are pretty good, Now you are up 1 possesion and have the ball.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from knoxvillepat. Show knoxvillepat's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Too Start the Game??? : I agree wholeheartedly - however, knowing Rex, I wouldn't be surprised if, in the event we didn't defer, that he'd try something loopy like an on-side kick.  In fact, if I were the Pats, I'd be leery of that the entire game. 
    Posted by gr82bme[/QUOTE]

Leery is right..We have fallen to this more than once this year....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

Pats take ball, dink and dunk to a 7-0 lead. Puts the Jets down early, cause once they are down 10-14 its OVER

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from cincyscott. Show cincyscott's posts

[QUOTE]So far they seem to want the ball first in the second half.  It's just the way they seem to prefer it.  But whatever.  
    Posted by Davedsone[/QUOTE]

Heard the same on NJ talk radio (traveling in NJ for work).  Discussion was around it being better for the Jets to have their D on the field first and having the ball to start the second half.  They acknowledged that the Pats are by far the superior team (stated they were the best in the league) and that the Jets had to play a flawless 60 minute game in every phase and the pats had to turn over the ball at least once.  Also said that in order to win the Jets needed to have a lead which contradicts electing to differ if they win the toss...Cromartie will also be returning punts not Holmes due to his idiot play against the colts and Cromartie's great play.  Brad Smith is questionable (hasn't practiced this week) and Cromartie will return kicks as well.  They also stated the silver lining with Woody is that he was hurt for last 3 games of the season, his replacement has had some game time experience...but they are worried about the loss of Woody.  They think he's played his last game as a Jet. 

The hosts said that while a Jets win wouldn't shock them if everything lined up, there is too much for the Jets to overcome to win.  They were quoting a ton of Patriot stats from this year..."Brady put up college QB/Heisman trophy numbers with 38 tds and 4 picks and that since the Browns game (acknowldeged this turned around the Pats season - 'it awoke the sleeping monster') the Pats have scored 37 (i think that was the #) ppg.  So they are clearly aware of how well the pats have played.  I was surprised they gave the pats their props.  They also said that Cromartie hadn't said anything today...yet there is still plenty of time.  LOL

Sections
Shortcuts