Top 10 Best Off-Season Moves

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Top 10 Best Off-Season Moves

Getting very close to the day when we'll have some football games to discuss, even if they are pre-season tilts. So to occupy the time, here's my list of the top 10 best off-season moves made by the following NFL teams:

1.) Indianapolis Colts: Kudos to Colts' owner Jim Irsay for his decisions to oust the Polians, head coach Jim Caldwell, and QB Peyton Manning, along with his $28mil. 2012 salary...and hand the reigns of his team to rookie QB, Andrew Luck. There's no better piece to rebuild around than Luck...who should evolve into a great QB, health permitting;

2.) Washington Redskins: As many of you know, I'm not a big fan of Redskins' owner, Danny Snyder. But, he did the right thing in gambling three #1 draft choices on Baylor QB, Robert Griffin, III. The Redskins badly needed a franchise QB, and a guy who could become the face of the franchise. Griffin could be that man. I've seen RG III play many times for Baylor. He has a cannon for an arm, and is the best runner I've ever seen at the position, since Michael Vick. He could evolve into another Vick, minus the mental deficiencies. 
         Yes, three #1 picks is a huge price to pay. But, considering that the 'Skins used a #1 to get him, the deal in reality cost the 'Skins just two #1 picks. With Eli Manning entrenched in NY, Tony Romo in Dallas, and Michael Vick in Philly, the 'Skins had to dramatically upgrade their QB position, or face the prospect of last place finishes in the NFC East, over the next 2-3 years. That made this risk one worth taking;

3.) New England Patriots: Though some speculated that BB might move up slightly in the draft, no one really expected the bold moves he made, in trading up twice.
         First, BB traded his third round pick, #93 overall, to Cincinnati to move up 6 spots to 21st overall, in order to select DE/OLB Chandler Jones. Mike Mayock of NFL Network has gone so far as to predict that Jones will turn out to be the best defensive player to come out of the 2012 draft. Based on the very early returns, he may be right. Jones has the unique size and wingspand teams crave for in a pass-rushing DE. Whether Jones is the second coming of Jason Pierre-Paul remains to be seen. But, for a Patriots' team that badly needed to upgrade it's pass rush, he could be the playmaker who finally replaces Willie McGinest.
         BB surprised again by trading his 4th round pick, #126 overall, to Denver, in order to move up from #31 overall, to the #25 spot. There, he selected huge Alabama LB, Dont'a Hightower. Thus far, Hightower looks like a stud. He and Jones could significantly transform the Pats' front 7 into a force to be reckoned with;

4.) Philadelphia Eagles: The Eagles took steps toward dethroning the NY Giants in the NFC East, by trading up in the draft, and stealing DT, Fletcher Cox. The cost for trading up from #16 to #12 to land Cox was just a 4th and a 6th round pick. Cox has the ability to eventually supplant Jason Pierre-Paul and DaMarcus Ware as the Beast of the NFC East.
         In addition to Cox, Philly added a number of quality prospects, in speedy/fire hydrant-like ILB Mychal Kendricks, DE Vinny Curry, QB Nick Foles, CB/PR Brandon Boykin, OT Dennis Kelly, and WR Marvin McNutt. 
         A great draft, on paper at least, for the Eagles.  

5.) Buffalo Bills: Owner Ralph Wilson had to do something drastic to make his team relevant again, and keep them in Buffalo. So, he opened up his vault, and spent big money to sign free agent pass-rushers, Mario Williams and Mark Anderson. In the draft, he added CB Stephon Gilmore. All of these moves were directed towards one purpose...stopping Tom Brady and the Patriots' offense.
         The Pats had beaten the Bills fifteen (15) straight times, before Buffalo managed to steal a 34-31 win, early last season, in Buffalo. Though it's questionable that Mr. Wilson's moves will serve to put his team on par with the Patriots, or will serve to dramatically improve his team, Bills' fans should give him an "A" for effort;

6.) Cincinnati Bengals: Once the joke of the league, the Bengals have uncharacteristicly made some very good moves, of late. The Carson Palmer trade with the Raiders' looks like a case of grand larceny, as the Bengals were able to secure two (2) #1 picks from the Oakland Raiders for their aging, ineffective former QB. 
         This trade set up Cincinnati's 2012 draft, as they landed a series of highly rated prospects, in CB Dre Kirkpatrick with the Raiders' pick, OG Kevin Zeitler, DT Devon Still, WR Mohamed Sanu, DT Brandon Thompson (obtained with the pick acquired from the Patriots in the Chandler Jones deal), TE Orson Charles, CB Shaun Prater, WR Marvin Jones, DB George Iloka, and RB Dan Herron.
         Though I felt that they could have gotten better prospects with their first round picks than Kirkpatrick and Zeitler, these guys addressed their greatest needs, at CB and OG. I loved the Brandon Thompson pick at #93. He and second rounder Devon Still should solidify the interior of their DL for years to come. 
          Credit the Bengals also for upgrading their situation at RB, by releasing the strange and fumble-prone Cedric Benson, and replacing him with the steady, dependable BenJarvis Green-Ellis. They also retained continuity by signing head coach, Marvin Lewis, to a contract extension.           

7.) Pittsburgh Steelers: The Steelers wisely have refused to cave, in the face of WR Mike Wallace's ridiculous contract demands, and hold-out. Instead, they upped the ante on Wallace by signing talented young WR, Antonio Brown, to a multi-year extension. They have told Wallace that all further contract negotiations will cease, until he reports to camp. Though QB Ben Roethlisberger has stated that, after speaking with Wallace, he doesn't think Wallace's hold-out will be a protracted one, this remains to be seen. 
         The Steelers also had another solid draft. They rebuilt their tattered OL by adding OG David DeCastro, and huge OT, Mike Adams. DeCastro has the look of an eventual multi-year pro-bowler. Fourth round pick, NT Alameda Ta'amu, should eventually replace battered and aging NT, Casey Hampton;

8.) Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Hiring former Rutgers head coach, Greg Schiano, was a brilliant move. He'll provide the discipline this team needs to go forward. FS Mark Barron and RB Doug Martin are quality prospects. Nebraska LB Lavonte David, though undersized by Patriots' standards, is a tackling machine, who has drawn comparisons with former Bucs' star LB, Michael Brooks. Big money free agent acquisition, WR Vincent Jackson, should help Schiano get QB Josh Freeman back on track. If that happens, the Bucs could dramatically improve; 

9.) Minnesota Vikings: GM Rick Spielman snookered the Cleveland Browns into trading him their 118th, 139th, and 175th overall picks to move up one spot, from the 4th overall pick to the 3rd, in order to ensure that they got RB Trent Richardson. In truth, the Vikings were unlikely to risk trading down too far, for fear that they would lose out on massive LT, Ryan Kalil. The Vikings used those extra picks to aquire WR Jarius Wright, DB Robert Blanton, and PK Blair Walsh. They also wisely traded up to shore up their awful secondary, by securing safety Harrison Smith. 
         Though I don't necessarily see Christian Ponder being the answer for them at QB, getting a stud LT like Kalil to protect Ponder's blind side gives the kid a fighting chance.                        

10.) New England Patriots: Just as he did in 2007, BB moved to revamp his WR corp this off-season, by signing Brandon Lloyd, Jabar Gaffney, and Donte' Stallworth. Lloyd especially has the look of a difference maker, who should ease some of the tight coverage off of Wes Welker, and the Pats' dynamic duo of TEs. Lloyd may prove to be the best free agent acquisition of this off-season;  

****Notice that I did not include the Denver Broncos on this list, for their signing of Peyton Manning. I see that signing as a huge gamble. There's no telling whether Peyton will be anywhere near 100% this season, or whether his arm will weaken as the season progresses. He'll no longer have the benefit of playing most of his games in ideal conditions...as every AFC West team plays outdoors.
         Furthermore, Bronco's management hasn't helped him by strengthening his OL, or adding a top tier RB to help him out. Though Willis MacGahee had a very good season last year, he's 30 years old. RB Knowshon Moreno hasn't developed into their feature RB as expected, primarily due to injuries.  
         As for the potential of the Peyton passing game, WR DeMaryius Thomas is capable, but he's no Reggie Wayne, or Marvin Harrison. TE Jacob Tamme is no Dallas Clark.              
         In summary, I don't see the Peyton addition necessarily transforming the Broncos into an elite team. Though signing Peyton allowed John Elway to get away with jettisoning the wildly popular Tim Tebow, and has certainly created some excitement, was it worth the massive cost in guaranteed money to bring Peyton aboard? I think not.

Thoughts? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Re: Top 10 Best Off-Season Moves

Off the top of my head, i would throw the Bears up there. Getting perennial 100 catch receiver Brandon marshall back with Jay Cutler, signing an underrated michael Bush and locking up Matt Forte!

Ravens, locking up their best offensive player and one of their best defenders for the next 5 years in rice and Webb.

And I would throw the Rams in the discussion somewhere. Getting a very good coach in Fisher, raping your #2 Redskins for 27 draft picks and positioning themselves nicely for the next few years.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In Response to Top 10 Best Off-Season Moves:
         Getting very close to the day when we'll have some football games to discuss, even if they are pre-season tilts. So to occupy the time, here's my list of the top 10 best off-season moves made by the following NFL teams: 1.) Indianapolis Colts: Kudos to Colts' owner Jim Irsay for his decisions to oust the Polians, head coach Jim Caldwell, and QB Peyton Manning, along with his $28mil. 2012 salary...and hand the reigns of his team to rookie QB, Andrew Luck. There's no better piece to rebuild around than Luck...who should evolve into a great QB, health permitting; 2.) Washington Redskins: As many of you know, I'm not a big fan of Redskins' owner, Danny Snyder. But, he did the right thing in gambling three #1 draft choices on Baylor QB, Robert Griffin, III. The Redskins badly needed a franchise QB, and a guy who could become the face of the franchise. Griffin could be that man. I've seen RG III play many times for Baylor. He has a cannon for an arm, and is the best runner I've ever seen at the position, since Michael Vick. He could evolve into another Vick, minus the mental deficiencies.       Yes, three #1 picks is a huge price to pay. But, considering that the 'Skins used a #1 to get him, the deal in reality cost the 'Skins just two #1 picks. With Eli Manning entrenched in NY, Tony Romo in Dallas, and Michael Vick in Philly, the 'Skins had to dramatically upgrade their QB position, or face the prospect of last place finishes in the NFC East, over the next 2-3 years. That made this risk one worth taking; 3.) New England Patriots:  Though some speculated that BB might move up slightly in the draft, no one really expected the bold moves he made, in trading up twice.      First, BB traded his third round pick, #93 overall, to Cincinnati to move up 6 spots to 21st overall, in order to select DE/OLB Chandler Jones. Mike Mayock of NFL Network has gone so far to predict that Jones will turn out to be the best defensive player to come out of the 2012 draft. Based on the very early returns, he may be right. Jones has the unique size and wingspand teams crave in a pass-rushing DE. Whether Jones is the second coming of Jason Pierre-Paul remains to be seen. But, for a Patriots' team that badly needs to upgrade it's pass rush, he could be the playmaker who finally replaces Willie McGinest.      BB surprised again by trading his 4th round pick, #126 overall, to Denver, in order to move up from #31 overall, to the #25 spot. There, he selected huge Alabama LB, Dont'a Hightower. Thus far, Hightower looks like a stud. He and Jones could significantly transform the Pats' front 7 into a force to be reckoned with; 4.) Philadelphia Eagles: The Eagles took steps toward dethroning the NY Giants in the NFC East, by trading up in the draft, and stealing DT, Fletcher Cox. The cost for trading up from #16 to #12 to land Cox was just a 4th and a 6th round pick. Cox has the ability to eventually supplant Jason Pierre-Paul and DaMarcus Ware as the Beast of the NFC East.      In addition to Cox, Philly added a number of quality prospects, in speedy/fire hydrant-like ILB Mychal Kendricks, DE Vinny Curry, QB Nick Foles, CB/PR Brandon Boykin, OT Dennis Kelly, and WR Marvin McNutt.       A great draft, on paper at least, for the Eagles.   5.) Buffalo Bills: Owner Ralph Wilson had to do something drastic to make his team relevant again, and keep them in Buffalo. So, he opened up his vault, and spent big money to sign free agent pass-rushers, Mario Williams and Mark Anderson. In the draft, he added CB Stephon Gilmore. All of these moves were directed towards one purpose...stopping Tom Brady and the Patriots' offense.      The Pats had beaten the Bills fifteen (15) straight times, before Buffalo managed to steal a 34-31 win, early last season, in Buffalo. Though it's questionable that Mr. Wilson's moves will serve to put his team on par with the Patriots, or will serve to dramatically improve his team, Bills' fans should give him an "A" for effort; 6.) Cincinnati Bengals:  Once the joke of the league, the Bengals have uncharacteristicly made some very good moves, of late. The Carson Palmer trade with the Raiders' looks like a case of grand larceny, as the Bengals were able to secure two (2) #1 picks from the Oakland Raiders for their aging, ineffective former QB. This trade set up Cincinnati's 2012 draft, as they landed a series of highly rated prospects, in CB Dre Kirkpatrick with the Raiders' pick, OG Kevin Zeitler, DT Devon Still, WR Mohamed Sanu, DT Brandon Thompson (obtained with the pick acquired from the Patriots in the Chandler Jones deal), TE Orson Charles, CB Shaun Prater, WR Marvin Jones, DB George Iloka, and RB Dan Herron.      Though I felt that they could have gotten better prospects with their first round picks than Kirkpatrick and Zeitler, these guys addressed their greatest needs, at CB and OG. I loved the Brandon Thompson pick at #93. He and second rounder Devon Still should solidify the interior of their DL for years to come.        Credit the Bengals also for upgrading their situation at RB, by releasing the strange and fumble-prone Cedric Benson, and replacing him with the steady, dependable BenJarvis Green-Ellis. They also retained continuity by signing head coach, Marvin Lewis, to a contract extension.            7.) Pittsburgh Steelers: The Steelers wisely have refused to cave, in the face of WR Mike Wallace's ridiculous contract demands, and hold-out. Instead, they upped the ante on Wallace by signing talented young WR, Antonio Brown, to a multi-year extension. They have told Wallace that all further contract negotiations will cease, until he reports to camp. Though QB Ben Roethlisberger has stated that, after speaking with Wallace, he doesn't think Wallace's hold-out will be a protracted one, this remains to be seen.       The Steelers also had another solid draft. They rebuilt their tattered OL by adding OG David DeCastro, and huge OT, Mike Adams. DeCastro has the look of an eventual multi-year pro-bowler. Fourth round pick, NT Alameda Ta'amu, should eventually replace battered and aging NT, Casey Hampton; 8.) Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Hiring former Rutgers head coach, Greg Schiano, was a brilliant move. He'll provide the discipline this team needs to go forward. FS Mark Barron and RB Doug Martin are quality prospects. Nebraska LB Lavonte David, though undersized by Patriots' standards, is a tackling machine, who has drawn comparisons with former Bucs' star LB, Michael Brooks. Big money free agent acquisition, WR Vincent Jackson, should help Schiano get QB Josh Freeman back on track. If that happens, the Bucs could dramatically improve;  9.) Minnesota Vikings: GM Rick Spielman snookered the Cleveland Browns into trading him their 118th, 139th, and 175th overall picks to move up one spot, from 4th overall pick to 3rd...in order to ensure that they got RB Trent Richardson. In truth, the Vikings were unlikely to risk trading down too far, for fear that they would lose out on massive LT, Ryan Kalil. The Vikings used those extra picks to aquire WR Jarius Wright, DB Robert Blanton, and PK Blair Walsh. They also wisely traded up to shore up their awful secondary, by securing safety Harrison Smith.       Though I don't necessarily see Christian Ponder being the answer for them at QB, getting a stud LT like Kalil to protect Ponder's blind side, gives the kid a fighting chance.                         10.) New England Patriots:  Just as he did in 2007, BB moved to revamp his WR corp this off-season, by signing Brandon Lloyd, Jabar Gaffney, and Donte' Stallworth. Lloyd especially has the look of a difference maker, who should ease some of the tight coverage off of Wes Welker, and the Pats' dynamic duo of TEs. Lloyd may prove to be the best free agent acquisition of this off-season;   ****Notice that I did not include the Denver Broncos on this list, for their signing of Peyton Manning . I see that signing as a huge gamble. There's no telling whether Peyton will be anywhere near 100% this season, or whether his arm will weaken as the season progresses. He'll no longer have the benefit of playing most of his games in ideal conditions...as every AFC West team plays outdoors.      Furthermore, I don't see where Bronco's management has helped him by strengthening his OL, or adding a top RB to help him out. Willis MacGahee had a very good season last year. But, he's 30 years old. RB Knowshon Moreno hasn't developed into their feature RB as expected, primarily due to injuries.        As for the potential of the Peyton passing game, WR DeMaryius Thomas is capable, but he's no Reggie Wayne, or Marvin Harrison. TE Jacob Tamme is no Dallas Clark.                    In summary, I don't see the Peyton addition necessarily transforming the Broncos into an elite team. Though signing Peyton allowed John Elway to get away with jettisoning the wildly popular Tim Tebow, and has certainly created some excitement, was it worth the massive cost in guaranteed money to bring Peyton aboard? I think not.      Thoughts? 
    Posted by TexasPat
    Good thing you didn't have Fiammetta or Gallery on your list of good moves...LOL

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from provpats. Show provpats's posts

Please provide attribution when you reference Copyrigted material please. I have reported this to the moderator who takes this breach very seriously

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from provpats. Show provpats's posts

In Response to Re: Top 10 Best Off-Season Moves:
    In Response to Re: Top 10 Best Off-Season Moves : I fixed it for you. That  misspelling wasn't Copyrighted was it? Report this........
    Posted by ManningRules

thanks pointing out typos is the last refuge of the witless and clueless

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from provpats. Show provpats's posts

wow you found out you can change a quote once you copy it.  aren't you just the most cunning and darling doofus!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Well, it would be different if a troll would give attention to facts.  Going from a domed environment to a place like Denver will be a culture shock to say the least. 

How will Manning hold up during the course of the season?  Very real. 

Supporting cast is below what Manning left in Indy. 

There has to be some concerns here.  Exciting as this pick up was for the Broncos it comes with it's very plausible questions.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jgallag1. Show jgallag1's posts

One move that I really love is The Jags not giving in to MJD's demands. I love MJD, and the team would be terrible without him, but ownership's very good stance of, "why should we change your contract if we aren't changing everyone's contract" is a very refreshing attitude. You sign a contract, you play for it, and then you get rewarded. I hate how every year 3/4 of the league decides the millions they're making to play a game isn't enough. There shouldn't be any holdouts from players who aren't franchised, and even those annoy me a bit.

But yes, I think you roll the Pats moves all up into one position and put the Bears up there. Very good moves for positions of need. Forte/Bush should be a great thunder and lighning type combo, and Marshall, as long as his head is on straight, gives them the best QB/WR combo they've had...probably ever.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

This is how high the expectations are for the Pats and Brady.  If any other team had picked up Lloyd it would barely make a blip in the media.  He was a mid level WR his whole career except one year.  But because the last time Brady threw to anyone with anything close to his talent he shattered the passing records that has become an expectation.

If Lloyd had gone to any other team nobody would be talking about what a huge move it is.  It's huge, because we all know Brady will make it so.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

Please provide attribution when you reference Copyrigted material please. I have reported this to the moderator who takes this breach very seriously
    Posted by provpats

Great post Tex! I think you are spot on or pretty darn close! As for provpats running and telling the mods, why be such a tool?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

In Response to Re: Top 10 Best Off-Season Moves : Great post Tex! I think you are spot on or pretty darn close! As for provpats running and telling the mods, why be such a tool?
    Posted by Quagmire3

I believe his response was to Manningrules (not TP) who copied a bunch of articles.  It's now been changed though.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

****Notice that I did not include the Denver Broncos on this list, for their signing of Peyton Manning . I see that signing as a huge gamble. There's no telling whether Peyton will be anywhere near 100% this season, or whether his arm will weaken as the season progresses. He'll no longer have the benefit of playing most of his games in ideal conditions...as every AFC West team plays outdoors.      Furthermore, I don't see where Bronco's management has helped him by strengthening his OL, or adding a top RB to help him out. Willis MacGahee had a very good season last year. But, he's 30 years old. RB Knowshon Moreno hasn't developed into their feature RB as expected, primarily due to injuries.        As for the potential of the Peyton passing game, WR DeMaryius Thomas is capable, but he's no Reggie Wayne, or Marvin Harrison. TE Jacob Tamme is no Dallas Clark.                    In summary, I don't see the Peyton addition necessarily transforming the Broncos into an elite team. Though signing Peyton allowed John Elway to get away with jettisoning the wildly popular Tim Tebow, and has certainly created some excitement, was it worth the massive cost in guaranteed money to bring Peyton aboard? I think not.      Thoughts? ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Yes, I think you're clueless... http://broncotalk.net/2012/07/39261/bro ... cker-show/ The Denver Broncos donned the pads for the first time Saturday morning, and the sound of popping hard plastic echoed across the fields of Dove Valley. “It’s not really football when you don’t have pads on,” rookie defensive lineman Derek Wolfe volunteered. Indeed, the pads were a welcome addition to the Broncos’ 2012 training camp atmosphere. So were the ooh’s and aah’s of the crowd, as Ring of Famers Karl Mecklenburg, Terrell Davis, and, of course, John Elway attended Saturday’s session, while Peyton Manning and Eric Decker put on a clinic for the 4,443 fans in attendance. That number broke the record set Thursday of 4,172; it was a hell of a Saturday morning show. One we’ll call, The Manning to Decker Show. ROLL CALL Safety Quinton Carter was held out following his hamstring injury yesterday. John Fox was hopeful they’ll get him back soon. Jamie Blatnick (ankle) continued to be limited. John Elway INJURY REPORT Right tackle Orlando Franklin left practice early with a “crick in his neck,” per Coach Fox. THE MANNING TO DECKER SHOW Wide receiver vs. defensive back one-on-ones are a highlight-worthy drill every practice, and today’s was no exception. The second snap of the drill was the best play of the day. Eric Decker squared off against the one and only Champ Bailey, giving fans the perfect early setup: Hall of Fame quarterback vs. Hall of Fame cornerback, with the former’s favorite target in between. The setup didn’t disappoint. Decker ran deep down the right sideline, getting a step on Bailey as Manning threw for the end zone. The two connected for the touchdown right in front of the fans, who went absolutely wild. It was the first of many Manning-to-Decker connections Saturday. In the first set of 7-on-7 work, Manning, cool as ever, went 6 for 6. His first three completions were all to Eric Decker, once over Bailey, once beyond Mike Adams, and once just plain wide open. "The way he’s throwing, the leadership he has in the huddle, the calls he’s making, it’s fun coming out every day,” Decker said after practice. Denver Broncos Ring of Fame linebacker Karl Mecklenburg talks to Pro Bowl defensive end Elvis Dumervil during training camp practice Saturday, July 28, 2012. (BroncoTalk.net photo) Not everyone was a fan of “The Manning to Decker Show,” though — defensive stars like Elvis Dumervil were miffed at the offense’s early success. “As of right now, we don’t like those guys. I’m not on board with ‘The Show’ or whatever that is,” Dumervil said, half-joking. “But those guys are good, give them credit. They’re going to make us better. That’ll be good for us.” “(Manning’s) got the offense in sync, and they’re moving pretty fast,” Dumervil said. “We gotta keep working.” Whether the entire offense is in sync remains to be seen. But one thing is certain: early in camp, Decker has emerged as Manning’s favorite target. Decker wasn’t the only player to have an impressive play in the one-on-one drill. Wide receiver Matthew Willis cut twice on his wheel route on the left sideline, but was smothered by Tracy Porter. I thought to myself, “Wow, excellent coverage,” just as Peyton Manning threw behind Willis anyway. Somehow, miraculously, Willis dove back and hauled in the catch, to Porter’s (and my) disbelief. Demaryius Thomas wasn’t going to let Decker have all the fun. He ousted Porter for a decent catch early before beating Omar Bolden cleanly on a deep post for a touchdown. Brandon Stokley showed an impressive level of nimbleness for his 36-year old frame, outrunning Ramzee Robinson to the end zone after a medium-length grab. DEREK WOLFE TAKES CONTROL The rookie had a very nice practice Saturday, his first in full pads, where he could actually perform the techniques he will have to hone in game day. It was difficult scouting his footwork, hands or leverage from my vantage point, but Wolfe showed tenacity. On consecutive plays he registered a half-sack, then dove on a botched snap for a fumble recovery. Later, I saw him push the left guard nearly into quarterback Caleb Hanie, then get around his blocker to nearly sack the backup signal caller. It was a good day for Wolfe, and we’ll have more on his progress in an in-focus post later. HIGHLIGHTING THE BIG HITS Dumervil wasn’t the only defensive player getting tired of The Manning to Decker Show. Danny Trevathan delivered a smacking helmet to helmet hit on Decker that forced a Manning incompletion with Bailey covering. Later, rookie linebacker Steven Johnson broke through the line of scrimmage to pop running back Mario Fannin in one of the louder hits of the day. Another hit in good coverage caused WR Mark Dell to bobble the football, which was caught for an interception by Elliot Coffey, who took it to the house. Hits are fun, but hands off Peyton Manning. “You get close and feel like you hit him,” Dumervil said. “Come game day we’ll have our opportunities.” Brock Osweiler BROCK OSWEILER SEES #2 WORK The Broncos have been rotating their quarterbacks quite a bit, but Brock Osweiler got more work than he had in the previous two practices. He was the second quarterback for two seven-on-seven sessions and most of the full team drills. Osweiler’s delivery looked less awkward to me today (maybe I’m just getting used to it), but he’s still clearly the greenest when it comes to understanding the playbook. He’ll take the longest to throw and is the most susceptible to sacks, and often a coach’s whistle would blow in 7-on-7 work, dictating to Osweiler that time was up on the play and he needed to dump it off. That being said, it was his best practice overall. He didn’t take any sacks that I saw, and he didn’t pull the football and start running, as he had in previous practices. He was mostly accurate with his throws and even delivered a few with some real zip. I’d like to continue to see him get #2 work. Any questions about his arm strength were squelched (again) when he overthrew Jason Hill on a ‘9’ route down the left sideline. He is able to get the defense to jump offsides with his commanding cadence, and did a nice job adjusting to what he saw pre-snap. Executed a picture perfect play action pass to Eric Decker. Pass sailed about 45-yards and split two defenders for the TD. Manning’s window was less than the size of a basketball hoop but he put it right in Decker’s hands, splitting Tracy Porter and Quinton Carter. Plenty of zip on his passes to Demaryius Thomas all over the field. Fantastic day from Manning, Thomas, and Decker.
    Posted by ManningRules

And your point is?? You never addressed the main problems with the Manning signing:

1.) his health;

2.) having to play his games outdoors;

3.) whether there are enough pieces around him to ensure that the Broncos become an elite team.

Questions for you, if you have the guts enough to take a position (which I doubt):

1.) What team are you a fan of?

2.) Are you of the opinion that the Broncos have become the team to beat in the AFC West, and are a legitimate SB contender? How many games do you see them winning this season?

3.) Are you aware that your hero, Eric Decker, has been injury prone?: http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_15606947 

So far, the reports on Manning's health are exciting, and good: http://www.denverpost.com/paige/ci_21238513/woody-paige-peyton-manning-clearly-all-well-and. But the questions on how well he'll hold up after a few hits, or whether his arm strength is less than it once was, or will weaken as the season rolls on, remain unanswered.

It's being reported that Eric Decker has recovered from his serious injury. But, we'll see...as he's currently dealing with nagging hamstring/groin problems: http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_21218581/peyton-manning-favorite-eric-decker-back-broncos-practice 

It's being reported that Willis MacGahee is running hard. Still, he's over 30 years old: http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_21201358/broncos-willis-mcgahee-still-going-strong-after-1

As for their OL, it's overrated. Center J.D. Walton, OG Zane Beadles, and LT Ryan Clady aren't very good: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1166959-chicago-bears-phil-emery-must-be-crazy. Plus, the Broncos are having contract troubles with Clady: http://m.nfl.com/news/09000d5d82aeea36/ryan-clady-denver-broncos-break-off-contract-talks/     

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Off the top of my head, i would throw the Bears up there. Getting perennial 100 catch receiver Brandon marshall back with Jay Cutler, signing an underrated michael Bush and locking up Matt Forte!

RESPONSE: All true. But, Marshall remains a head case. Yes, the Bears appear to have a good stable of RBs. But, they did little to address their greatest weakness...their OL: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1166959-chicago-bears-phil-emery-must-be-crazy 

Ravens, locking up their best offensive player and one of their best defenders for the next 5 years in rice and Webb.

RESPONSE: Signing Webb long term as a good move. Ray Rice is the main weapon in their offense. He had the Buzzards over a barrel, and took advantage...as the Buzzards drastically over paid to sign him. 
         That aside, were you impressed with their draft? There's a reason wny Courtney Upshaw fell to the second round. He performed poorly at the Senior Bowl practices, and had mediocre at best numbers at The Combine. He's not very athletic, and appears to be a tweener.      

And I would throw the Rams in the discussion somewhere. Getting a very good coach in Fisher, raping your #2 Redskins for 27 draft picks and positioning themselves nicely for the next few years.

RESPONSE: So, you didn't like the RGIII deal for Washington? I grant you that the Rams made a great deal, getting as much as they did, with Washington. But, they supposedly could have gotten the same, or even an better deal with Cleveland. That mattered. For example, even if they had gotten the same deal with Cleveland, wouldn't they have been sitting in a better position to wheel and deal, if they had the 4th overall pick, as opposed to the 6th overall pick?  

That aside, I didn't like their draft. They didn't seem to have a coherent plan of attack in place. When they traded out from #6 to #14, for an extra 2nd round pick, they likely expected to have either WR Michael Floyd, or CB Stephon Gilmore available to them. But, when Gilmore went at #10, and Floyd went at #13, they seemed to go into a tailspin.  

They drafted a project DT, Michael Brockers, at #14. Then, they compounded their mistake by taking troubled CB, Janoris Jenkins, at #39. Teams like the Patriots can afford to take risks like this, from time to time. But, a horrid team like the Rams can't afford to take such gambles. You would think that Jeff Fisher would know better, after his Pacman Jones experience.

WR Brian Quick is extremely raw, but has the tools. He'll likely need some time, and some good coaching, to develop. But, he's being thrusted into a situation where he has to produce, immediately. Are the Rams the right team for him? 

RB Isiah Pead is a bit of a head case, but is talented. He's needed to eventually replaced the aging Steven Jackson. WR Chris Givens has potential. But, the rest of their draft class is nothing special. 

Here's what they might have done instead. Their positions of need were supposedly WR, OL, CB, LB, DT, and RB. To me, games are won or loss in the trenches. If you want to rebuild a team, and have a franchise QB in place, the OL and DL should be addressed, first and foremost. I would have included them in my top 10, had they drafted as follows:

1.) #14 OT Reilly Reiff, Iowa: Yes, Sam Bradford needs WRs. But, more importantly, he needs to remain healthy.;

2.) #33 DT Derek Wolfe, Cincinnati: As good or better prospect than Brockers;

3.) #39: OT/OG Cordy Glenn, Georgia: Job one is to protect the franchise QB, Sam Bradford;

4.) #50: DT Jerel Worthy, Michigan: Games are won in the trenches;

5.) #65: CB Trumaine Johnson, Montana: A developmental prospect at CB;

6.) #96: WR Chris Givens, Wake Forest;

7.) #150: WR Marvin Jones, California;

8.) #171: FS Trent Robinson, Michigan State;

9.) #209: RB Brandon Bolden, Miss. State.      

Posted by TrueChamp

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from provpats. Show provpats's posts

I was actually referring to MR not TP with whom I may have differences but respect.  MR has done nothing to earn any respect on this board from anyone

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

In Response to Re: Top 10 Best Off-Season Moves : You're welcome. 
    Posted by ManningRules

Melvin Ingram acquired by SD at #18 is a steal. He & Shaun Phillips are gonna pile drive Peyton to the turf repeatedly. BTW Peyton as starting QB against a Rivers led Charger team is 1-4 alltime (0-2 in the playoffs).

Peyton is the most overrated player in history, period.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

This Manning Rules dork is in for a rude awakening. I will say, Broncos fans are also morons. They wanted Tebow in last year, ran off Orton and were mad McDaniels fleeced the bejesus out of Jerry Angleo in that trade. Now, they're brainwashed into thinking an old Gomer is going to lead them to the playoffs in that division? Ain't happening. KC SD Denver Oakland Heck, Oakland might even finish in 3rd place.
    Posted by CliffordWasHere

you stand corrected, the Bolts on top. 

I do agree that Denver will finish in 3rd though.

Sections
Shortcuts