Top 10 Best Off-Season Moves

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Re: Top 10 Best Off-Season Moves

Texpat. Only read some of post. Two things I thought Indy grabbing Fleener in the 2nd was a smart move. Surround the future of the franchise with an offensive weapon Luck is already faimliar with and getting Allen in the 3rd and Hilton to add some offensive talent. My concern would be the O Line and, frankly, other places. You don't get the 1st overall pick by design (unless you lose on purpose). You can't be the worst team in the NFL, have one good draft and dominate your division (and with Houston they won't, unless Luck is better than Manning, Aikman and other QBs were their rookie season).

Bills got Williams, but who has a better defense Houston (who let Williams go) or ruff Buff who paid him some serious coin. Emergence of Cushing, Watt, and Brooks Reed made Williams with his high price unnecessary. Buffalo will go as far as Fitzy can take them and he's like a .500 pitcher in baseball; sometimes he looks great sometimes he looks godawful.

You're right on with the Steelers. Big Ben has to stop getting murdered in and outside the pocket.

The Bungles had a good draft. Got Dalton some weapons aside from A J Green. I am still on the fence as to whether they can win the division over the Ravens or Steelers. The Ravens have lost Suggs, but the real pain happens when Lewis and Reed retire.

Cox better than Ware. Ware has been the best OLB in the NFL for the last five years. Pierre-Paul could be Ware Part Deux as early as this year. Cox will be good I'll grant you that, but comparing him to the best OLB and arguably the best young pass rusher in the NFL is hyperbole.  The Eagles have to learn to play up to expectations. Eagles rush should be better.
    BTW. My condolences to Reid family.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

The best off season move by the Pats = Josh McDaniel's

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: Top 10 Best Off-Season Moves:
    In Response to Re: Top 10 Best Off-Season Moves :  Melvin Ingram acquired by SD at #18 is a steal. He & Shaun Phillips are gonna pile drive Peyton to the turf repeatedly. BTW Peyton as starting QB against a Rivers led Charger team is 1-4 alltime (0-2 in the playoffs).   Peyton is the most overrated player in history, period.
    Posted by jbolted

Though I like Ingram...would Chandler Jones have been a better option, at #18?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Texpat. Only read some of post. Two things I thought Indy grabbing Fleener in the 2nd was a smart move. Surround the future of the franchise with an offensive weapon Luck is already faimliar with and getting Allen in the 3rd and Hilton to add some offensive talent.

RESPONSE: Several teams are trying to mimic the Patriots, by adding a potentially dynamic duo set of TEs. Though I understand the thought process in taking Fleener, I thought that the Colts had better options with that 33rd overall pick.

My concern would be the O Line and, frankly, other places. You don't get the 1st overall pick by design (unless you lose on purpose). You can't be the worst team in the NFL, have one good draft and dominate your division (and with Houston they won't, unless Luck is better than Manning, Aikman and other QBs were their rookie season).

RESPONSE: Agreed. Job One is to protect the franchise QB. You build a winning team by getting a franchise QB in place, putting together a solid OL to protect him, and building a fierce DL, that can both stop the run, and pressure the opposing QB. Accordingly, RT/OG Cordy Glenn, DT/DE Derek Wolfe, or a trade down for additional picks would probably have been a better use of the 33rd pick, than using it to select Fleener. 

Bills got Williams, but who has a better defense Houston (who let Williams go) or ruff Buff who paid him some serious coin. Emergence of Cushing, Watt, and Brooks Reed made Williams with his high price unnecessary.

RESPONSE: Agree that the Texans have the better defense, even without Williams. J.J. Watt is a beast. Cushing, Brooks, and Connor Barwin are a tough lot. Still, the Bills had to do something to make themselves relevant again. Who knows whether Williams will work out. But, credit owner Ralph Wilson for stepping up, and trying to do whatever he could to drastically improve his team. As for overpaying, Buffalo has to overpay because, who otherwise would want to play there? 

Buffalo will go as far as Fitzy can take them and he's like a .500 pitcher in baseball; sometimes he looks great sometimes he looks godawful.

RESPONSE: Agreed. Good analogy.

You're right on with the Steelers. Big Ben has to stop getting murdered in and outside the pocket.

RESPONSE: Getting hit the way he has over the past two years has likely shortened his career. 

The Bungles had a good draft. Got Dalton some weapons aside from A J Green. I am still on the fence as to whether they can win the division over the Ravens or Steelers.

RESPONSE: I'm not sold on Dalton.

The Ravens have lost Suggs, but the real pain happens when Lewis and Reed retire.

RESPONSE: The window of opportunity closes for the Buzzards, after this season.

Cox better than Ware. Ware has been the best OLB in the NFL for the last five years.
    RESPONSE: I like Fletcher Cox...but to say he's currently better than DeMarcus Ware is going too far.

Pierre-Paul could be Ware Part Deux as early as this year.

RESPONSE: Pierre-Paul is as good or better than Ware, now.

Cox will be good I'll grant you that, but comparing him to the best OLB and arguably the best young pass rusher in the NFL is hyperbole.  The Eagles have to learn to play up to expectations. Eagles rush should be better.

RESPONSE: Perhaps it's not a completely accurate comparison. But I see Cox evolving into a beast of a DT, health permitting.

BTW. My condolences to Reid family.

RESPONSE: Amen.
    Posted by JohnHannahrulz

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

"TEX quote:"Cox has the ability to supplant JPP and Ware as Beast of The NFC East". My words were meant as a minor criticism of your original statement. Ware is better than JPP in pursuit and coverage, but JPP is still learning (being on one of the best Defensive Lines in football doesn't hurt either).

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In Response to Re: Top 10 Best Off-Season Moves : Agree the Raiders will try to kill Manning. And KC looks healthier and has already stopped a better QB in Rogers. I might actually watch KC-Denver just to see what Romeo's D does against Broncos...hmmmm less mobile QB might not bode as well as people in Denver and Manning Troll/Chronic Masturbator think.
    Posted by JohnHannahrulz

Enough is enough in the AFC West! For seemingly the past decade, the The San Diego Chargers, at least on on paper, have enough talent to win this mediocre division handily. If Philip Rivers is as good as the pundits yearly claim, it should be no contest. 

Hey Bolt...this should be a do or die season for Norv Turner and his boys. If they let the Denver Broncos, with the man with the bionic neck, beat them out again, heads should roll in the land of the thunderbolt! 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In Response to Top 10 Best Off-Season Moves : They added DeMeco Ryans for a middle round pick too. Absolutely worth the small risk, the guy was a tackling machine for a few years with Houston. I'm all about Philadelphia this year; they really improved up the middle defensively and if - big if - Vick can stay healthy I think they have a good shot at the NFC.
    Posted by CaptainZdeno33

Yes Captain, Ryans was a good pick-up...and Vick is a big question mark. Even if Vick can stay healthy, I don't envision him as being capable of taking his team to a SB. He's too inconsistent for my liking. But, if he plays 16 games, I can see Philly winning the NFC East. The Giants always seem to have trouble with the Eagles.  

Sections
Shortcuts