Top 10 overrated players - welker number one???

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yakv. Show yakv's posts

Top 10 overrated players - welker number one???

WalterFootball
    Top 10 Most Overrated NFL Players
    Just kills welker saying he is system receiver 
    and that he owes brady his stats 
    could'nt  disagree more 

1.   Wes Welker, WR, Patriots 
    This is not a knee-jerk reaction to what happened in the Super Bowl. I've always believed that Wes Welker has been incredibly overrated. When the average fan puts together a list of the top receivers in the NFL, Welker is usually included. He shouldn't be. 

Welker is just a slot receiver. He's a really, really good slot receiver, but a slot receiver nonetheless. Because of the monstrous stats he has posted the past five years, some football fans argue that he's on the level of Larry Fitzgerald and other wideouts of that ilk. 

There's no denying that Welker is tremendous in New England's system, but I highly doubt he would be half as effective in a normal offense with an average quarterback. Welker just doesn't have the talent to be a No. 1 wideout. He's very smart and crafty, and he's a great guy to have on a team, despite what hot supermodels may think, but his ability to be as effective in another scheme is very debatable. Forum mod Injured Reserve once told me, "The difference between Wes Welker and Davone Bess is Tom Brady." Like Welker, Bess is just a slot receiver. Who's to say Bess wouldn't post 100-plus receptions playing in Welker's spot with Brady? 

This stat may surprise you: Aside from Brandon Marshall, no receiver has more drops in the past two years than Welker (26). Sure, Welker has many more targets than the average wideout, but most of the passes that go his way are of the short variety. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Re: Top 10 overrated players - welker number one???

I will agree that Brady makes this guy a much better player, but I think even without Brady and this system, he's still a 70 catch a year guy. He's got outstanding quickness and he is a guy that is always on the field (which is a lot more than you can say for many other receivers). His hands are more than dependable despite the drops and he's about as smart a player as you're going to find.

Question is, what do you pay this guy and at age 30/31, how much longer do you project him to produce like this?

I will agree though if you put him in Miami or have a guy like Sanchez throwing to him - he catches 70 balls for 700 yards and 4 scores.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from yakv. Show yakv's posts

Welker will Get Around 100 balls with the likes of manning or rodgers 
    and 50 with gabbert
    while it's a matter which qb is throwing to you , 
    welker can make plays and be in the right places ,
    and it's a matter of communciation between him and brady just like branch .

overrated is Michael vick ,DeAngelo Hall, Mark Sanchez ,

Not Wes Welker!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from darwk. Show darwk's posts

Sloppy analysis of Welker, and like you I couldn't disagree more. Wes Welker is an incrediable talented and driven athlete. His stats as a receiver speak for themselves. His comeback after a significant injury is testamant to his training and toughness. Yeah, He works well with Brady, and sure there have been a few drops, but the catches have been numerous and sometimes spectacualr- like threading a needle- he's in a class of his own. I expect Wes will have a monster 2012 season.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

BS article. The main reasoning seems to be that because he is not a wide who makes exciting catches for large gains he can't be considered a top receiver.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

When he keeps on citing that he's a slot WR he lost all credibility imo. I don't think it matters where on the field you are an impact player is an impact player and a 100 catch a year guy is an impact player. Apparently other teams don't think he's overrated since they dbl and tpl team him. Now I'm sure that Brady and the system does help him but that's also the direction the league is heading. A lot of teams are trying to find Welker type of slot WR's and have actually began moving larger possession WR's into the slot to try to create match up problems.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Wes like anybody else that plays with an elite QB does see better numbers than if he played with a stiff. But he is the real deal, and a truly great football player.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Overrrated how?  By that huge contract he's been playing under for years?  Or because he gets most of his yards after he catches it and is not a deep threat speed burner that makes dramatic plays?  He fits this system well, and I recall that when he was in Miami not playing with Brady that he couldn't be contained.   

He may not be worth a 4-5 year deal, but he should be damn good for at least the next 3.  He has been among the best baragins in the NFL.    

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

In Response to Re: Top 10 overrated players - welker number one???:
    [QUOTE]When he keeps on citing that he's a slot WR he lost all credibility imo. I don't think it matters where on the field you are an impact player is an impact player and a 100 catch a year guy is an impact player. Apparently other teams don't think he's overrated since they dbl and tpl team him. Now I'm sure that Brady and the system does help him but that's also the direction the league is heading. A lot of teams are trying to find Welker type of slot WR's and have actually began moving larger possession WR's into the slot to try to create match up problems.
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

EXACTLY!!Nice post. An impact player is an impact player. The best slot receiver to have EVER played the game.....but...because he plays the slot he's over-rated?

What loopy logic, and stupid of course. Think of 07. Moss deep couldn't be covered one on one. So they double team him and Welker draws a nickle or LB and has a field day. That tandem, that year, was the best unstopable passing attack ever in the post CAP era.

Over-rated my azz

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from getdrunkstupit. Show getdrunkstupit's posts

1) champ bailey

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

Does the writer of this article realize that Welker put up 111 receptions with Matt Cassel as his quarterback?  If it were that easy, there would be guys all over the league posting those numbers.  What a dope.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

[QUOTE]If he played w Sanchez he'd be lucky to get 50 receptions. Instead he plays w a first ballot hall of famer who hits him in stride 99% of the time. He's a product of TB... I've said it for years. No way he leaves. Welker isn't dumb. He knows how the bread is buttered....
    Posted by patzrcheaters[/QUOTE]

Welker had 67 receptions in 2006 with Joey Harrington, Duante Culpepper and Cleo "The Lem" Lemon throwing to him. I bet Sanchez gets to him a few more than 50 times, too.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

WW caught 71% of his targets, has to be near tops in the league. When you are good enough to get 170 targets a year you will probably be near the tops in drops per year as well. Getting open 170 times is not a problem, it is a solution.

Who is "Walterfootball" anyway?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]Does the writer of this article realize that Welker put up 111 receptions with Matt Cassel as his quarterback?  If it were that easy, there would be guys all over the league posting those numbers.  What a dope.
    Posted by pyegian[/QUOTE]

Good point, I forgot about that one.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In Response to Top 10 overrated players - welker number one???:
    [QUOTE]WalterFootball Top 10 Most Overrated NFL Players Just kills welker saying he is system receiver  and that he owes brady his stats  could'nt  disagree more  http://walterfootball.com/mostoverratednflplayers.php 1.   Wes Welker, WR, Patriots  This is not a knee-jerk reaction to what happened in the Super Bowl. I've always believed that Wes Welker has been incredibly overrated. When the average fan puts together a list of the top receivers in the NFL, Welker is usually included. He shouldn't be.  Welker is just a slot receiver. He's a really, really good slot receiver, but a slot receiver nonetheless. Because of the monstrous stats he has posted the past five years, some football fans argue that he's on the level of Larry Fitzgerald and other wideouts of that ilk.  There's no denying that Welker is tremendous in New England's system, but I highly doubt he would be half as effective in a normal offense with an average quarterback. Welker just doesn't have the talent to be a No. 1 wideout. He's very smart and crafty, and he's a great guy to have on a team, despite what hot supermodels may think, but his ability to be as effective in another scheme is very debatable. Forum mod Injured Reserve once told me, "The difference between Wes Welker and Davone Bess is Tom Brady." Like Welker, Bess is just a slot receiver. Who's to say Bess wouldn't post 100-plus receptions playing in Welker's spot with Brady?  This stat may surprise you: Aside from Brandon Marshall, no receiver has more drops in the past two years than Welker (26). Sure, Welker has many more targets than the average wideout, but most of the passes that go his way are of the short variety. 
    Posted by yakv[/QUOTE]

Who ever wrote that at WalterFootball has lost his mind or never had one.

I was practically peeing my pants when he's like well most drops out of blah blah well most targets too but just saying blah blah.

Shhhhhesh