Top 10 Power Rankings

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

Re: Top 10 Power Rankings

In Response to Re: Top 10 Power Rankings:
    [QUOTE]How are people ranking Indy so high.  Their opponents have won a combined 2 games and they barely beat poor looking Jax and Miami teams.
    Posted by joe81b[/QUOTE]
    joe - because one team won the AFC East last year and although faced with a tougher schedule there was no reason to believe they would be a worse team.  In fact, most agreed that the Dolphins would be better this year than last year yet not make the playoffs because of the difficulty of their schedule. 

As for AZ, well they were in the SB last year and had the same team coming back as well.  Big things were expected from them. 

Finally, the jags, no expected much from them, but after beating a houston team that many (including many here) projected as a playoff team in houston, the jags have proven themselves to be not as poor as advertised. 

The colts are 3-0 beating all of these teams.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pstechen. Show pstechen's posts

When reading ESPN's rankings and the fan rankings so far it shows just how premature this entire ranking system is.  Teams like New England, Pittsburgh, San Diego, and Indy will all be there at the end of the season regardless of what types of starts they have.

A lot of teams are dealing with hurt players,  including the Pats, which goes to show you that if the top AFC teams can continue to plug along, play solid and wait to get healthy they will be fine for the stretch run into the playoffs.

I can only say that the Pats have been hit with the injury bug and have not played their best but they beat a really good Falcons team with an all around sound effort - Defensively and for the most part offensively in the second half.

Holding Atlanta to 0 second half points is a great accomplishment for this defense and once the offense starts clicking you will see better defensive production and more teams trying to figure out Belichek's new 4-3 schemes.

So far there is a lot of parody in the league but that will change come week 6 but i think as Patriots fans we have to be excited that we have played poorly and we are still 2-1.  It can only get better from here once the offense finds its stride. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ET27. Show ET27's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Top 10 Power Rankings : Jules - Pats fans quickly forgot how badly they were gashed by the wildcat in their first game against Miami last year.  How could a 1-15 team from the prior year tear up the formerly 16-0 pats?  It is an effective scheme in the right situation, and they killed the colts on the ground just like they did to the pats.  The difference between those games, however, is that the pats lost at home while the colts won on the road. 
    Posted by underdogg[/QUOTE]

The PATS did not anticipate the wildcat, but the Colts did.  Brady didn't play and Cassell didn't know how to play (effectively) in the early stages of the year. Some advice:   when you forget important details, you seem biased.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

The only power ranking that matters is the one after the first weekend of February.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Top 10 Power Rankings : \ TrueChump - yeah I got that.  But I didn't know Cassell played defense, too.  But if that is the case, then yeah, he is also responsible for allowing the phins to grind out 216 yards (6/carry).  A QB going both ways.  Unique in today's NFL, but if there is any coach that can do it, its belichick.

Yeah then no troll mentions the 2nd game the Pats had against the wildcat when they held it to under 70 yards. So in essence with a game plan against it both Pats and Colts won in Miami, Pats did a better job of stopping the wildcat.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

ET - So you're saying cassell did not yet know the pats defensive scheme.  I get it.  What position did he play on d?  Was Wilfork hurt?

Wiz - acceptable.  Maybe the colts will get a second chance this year in the playoffs, but I think the pats win the division.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Top 10 Power Rankings : You are still bitter over the epic failure of 18-1. And you should be. The rest of the world still laughs at you for it.
    Posted by SchwillyPete[/QUOTE]
    Ya, all the other teams who went 18-1 are laughing about it...Oh wait, there aren't any other 18-1 teams, are there?

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Top 10 Power Rankings : 
    Posted by 49Patriots[/QUOTE]

Look at what the T.O.less Cowboys did to that all mighty defense. Romo basically gave them the game. The Giants are one of those 3-0 teams that have not faced a test yet in the 09 season. 1 game against the Bucs (A team that might go 0-16, or at best 1-15), 1 against the Cowboys ( a game the Cowboys should have won, but due to Tony "Uh-oh" (as Skip Bayless likes to refer to him as) they got timely picks.), and the other against the Redskins (the same team that lost to the Detriot Lions).   Giants opponents 3-6, next week they face the Raiders (-_-). That makes them a combined record of 4-8. Patriots have to face the Ravens. The combined record that the Patriots would've faced in the first four games is 9-3. Fun fact, 2 out of the 3 loses their opponents have faced came from them. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fargo. Show Fargo's posts

[QUOTE]The only power ranking that matters is the one after the first weekend of February.
    Posted by Wizardsjag[/QUOTE]

You're absolutely right. At this point is the season, who gives a shite about rankings. Colts look very good. Ravens look very good. For God's sake, even the effing Jets with their Fat Punk coach look good at this point. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Top 10 Power Rankings : No, Peyton Chuck and Duck managed to generate offense, that's the diff.   If cassel wore the same underpants for 11 years, he'd have done the same.
    Posted by Patsfansince1966[/QUOTE]

I am still having difficulty understanding what Cassell had to do with the defense?  Even in NE's win last year the pats gave up 28 pts to the phins. 

against indy, without bob sanders, the colts gave up 23 on the road in 85 degree  and high humidity and won.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Top 10 Power Rankings : You're absolutely right. At this point is the season, who gives a shite about rankings. Colts look very good. Ravens look very good. For God's sake, even the effing Jets with their Fat Punk coach look good at this point.  
    Posted by Fargo[/QUOTE]

It matters not, as you say.  It is simply a way to gauge how teams have played up to that point.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fargo. Show Fargo's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Top 10 Power Rankings : It matters not, as you say.  It is simply a way to gauge how teams have played up to that point.

Colts will be in it at the end. Freeney coming back soon is a question mark, however. 
    Hopefully, the Pats will, too. I think so, at least. 
    Ravens, probably. Jets, probably not. 

And for the record, I've never said, "It matters not." 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Top 10 Power Rankings : Colts will be in it at the end. Freeney coming back soon is a question mark, however.  Hopefully, the Pats will, too. I think so, at least.  Ravens, probably. Jets, probably not.  And for the record, I've never said, "It matters not." 
    Posted by Fargo[/QUOTE]
    Didn't mean to put words in your mouth.  my humblest apologies. 

Colts can give Freeney 4 weeks in my opinion - nxt 2 games for sure, then the bye, then St. Louis.  If 3 weeks was needed, give him the extra week for certainty. 

through 3 games what I see is that none of the former powerhouses seem as powerful.  Only the ravens appear to have it all together, but do they really considering their opponents to date and the # of pts given up. 

Based on the current situation, I would have to say in the end: 

Jets
    Pats
    Ravens
    Steelers
    Colts
    Chargers

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Dogg...

All six of those teams you list have their issues in this young season...

The Jets, probably for real, but, how much of it is adrenalin versus good play?  Pats' receivers had rock hands and it looked like the Titans could have had them, but, good teams do pull them out.

The Pats - a rusty offense that appears to be coming alive, but, they have some nagging injuries, missing Welker.  The D, biggest surprise given their second half effort against the Falcons without Mayo and Wilfork on the field.

Ravens - feasted on two 0-3 teams and the Chargers made their D look bad,  where is the smoke screen there?

Steelers - luck not going their way.  Late game heroics from teams they were expected to defeat.

Colts - The O is clicking, but, the D can be had.  In my opinion, looked best of the six in this early part of the season.

Chargers - who knows?  With 400+ yards passing against the Ravens, how did they not win?  Their D is the issue, can they stop the other team? 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

Right on AGC - its really too early to predict, but we all do it in preseason, so we must have more to go on after 3 games. 

Who other than these 6 would you put there:

Cincy (maybe), but in place of Pitt? - not just yet.
    Denver (sorry, can't pull that trigger)
    Currently no one in the South qualifies (at least yet)
    And Buffalo and Miami do not qualify either (if only because it is very difficult to put 3 teams from the same division into the playoffs)