***TOP 25 DRAFT PROSPECTS*** UPDATED 2/23!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

***TOP 25 DRAFT PROSPECTS*** UPDATED 2/23!

It's early in the process and things will be fluid as more info/tape becomes available and players choose whether to declare or not, but below are the (32) 2012 draft prospects that interest me the most at this point (assuming all were to declare).  You'll notice that most are on the defensive side of the ball:

Defense:

Mark Barron- S- Alabama

Harrison Smith- S- ND
    George Iloka- S- Boise State 
    *ADDED 1/22*

Derek Wolfe- DT- Cincinnati *ADDED 1/6*
    Alameda Ta'amu- DT- Washington *ADDED 1/25*
    Kendall Reyes- DT- UCONN *ADDED 2/2*
    Fletcher Cox- DL- Miss State *ADDED 2/13

Shea McClellin- DE/OLB- Boise State
    Jake Bequette- DE/OLB- Arkansas *ADDED 2/13*
    Vinny Curry- DE/OLB- Marshall *ADDED 2/13*
    Brett Roy- DE/OLB- Nevada *ADDED2/23*

Dont'a Hightower- LB- Alabama

Audie Cole- LB- NC State

Stephon Gilmore- CB- South Carolina

Shaun Prater- CB- Iowa *ADDED 2/23*
    Leonard Johnson- CB- Iowa State
    Brandon Boykin- CB- Georgia
    *ADDED 1/25*

Offense:

Ryan Broyles- WR- Oklahoma *ADDED 1/7*
    Devon Wylie- WR- Fresno State
    Marvin Jones- WR- Cal
    *ADDED 1/29*
    Marvin McNutt- WR- Iowa *ADDED 2/18*
    Joe Adams- WR- Arkansas
    *ADDED 2/7*
    Rueben Randle- WR- LSU *ADDED 2/22*

Ben Jones- C- Georgia *ADDED 1/6*

Kevin Zeitler- OG- Wisconsin *ADDED 2/13*

Next Man In (the next players in the queue, in no particular order):

Dontari Poe- DT- Memphis
    Jerel Worthy- DT- Michigan State
    Jared Crick- DT- Nebraska
    Josh Chapman- DT- Alabama
    Billy Winn- DL- Boise State
    Kheeston Randall- DT- Texas
    Mike Martin- DT- Michigan
    Ethan Johnson- DT- ND
    Dominique Hamilton- DT- Mizzou 

Tyrone Crawford- DE- Boise State
    Matt Conrath- DE/OLB- Virginia
    Cam Johnson- DE/OLB- Virginia 

Tank Carder- LB- TCU
    Ronnell Lewis- LB- Oklahoma
    Kyle Wilber- LB- Wake Forest

Chase Minnifield- CB- Virginia
    Robert Blanton- CB- ND
    Casey Hayward- CB- Vanderbilt
    Ron Brooks- CB- LSU

Antonio Allen- S- South Carolina

Markelle Martin- S- Oklahoma State
    Winston Guy- S- Kentucky
    Brandon Taylor- S- LSU

Marquis Maze- WR- Alabama
    Jarius Wright- WR- Arkansas
    TY Hilton- WR- FIU
    Brian Quick- WR- App State
    Chris Givens- WR- Wake Forest

Doug Martin- RB- Boise State
    Terrance Ganaway- RB- Baylor
    Bernard Pierce- RB- Temple
    Jonas Gray- RB- ND
    Robert Turbin- RB- ND

Peter Konz- C- Wisconsin
    Quentin Saulsberry- C- Miss State
    Philip Blake- C- Baylor

Joe Looney- OG- Wake Forest
    Senio Kelemete- OG- Washington
    Tony Bergstrom- OG/OT- Utah
    Mitchell Schwartz- OT- Cal
    Markus Zusevics- OT- Iowa
    Andrew Datko- OT- FSU

Removed:

Kenny Vaccaro- S- Texas *Removed 12/31, returning to school.*
    Melvin Ingram- DE/OLB- South Carolina *Removed 1/2, will likely be out of range, IMO.*
    Tyler Eifert- TE- ND *Removed 1/6, returning to school.*
    Sam Montgomery- DE/OLB- LSU *Removed 1/9, returning to school.*
    Robert Lester- S- Alabama *Removed 1/11, returning to school.*
    Kendall Wright- WR- Baylor *Removed 1/18, I don't see NE targeting a WR in Rd 1.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Re: ***TOP 25 DRAFT PROSPECTS***

Yes, I'll take them all.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportslover21. Show sportslover21's posts

Kenny Vaccaro is staying in school.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: ***TOP 25 DRAFT PROSPECTS***:
    [QUOTE]Kenny Vaccaro is staying in school.
    Posted by sportslover21[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up, sl.

I'll edit the list now.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatFanInBA2. Show PatFanInBA2's posts

Thanks for compiling this..out of these, who would be the best fit for us (assuming we are able to trade up)?

DT:
    DE/OLB:
    Safety:
    WR (elite speed, good separation and hands - one that can stretch the field ala Moss):

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]Thanks for compiling this..out of these, who would be the best fit for us (assuming we are able to trade up)? DT: DE/OLB: Safety: WR (elite speed, good separation and hands - one that can stretch the field ala Moss):
    Posted by PatFanInBA2[/QUOTE]

PFIB2,
    Welcome.

Here is my choice at each position, based on my list:

DT:  I don't see a DT that I'd be willing to trade up for at this point, Short and Chapman are prob day 3 kids with day 2 upside.

DE/OLB:  Toss up between Ingram and Upshaw, I give Upshaw the nod right now as he already plays the OLB position in Saban's 34.

S: Mark Barron is my choice as I think he's one of the better defenders in this entire class and would be a likely day 1 starter in Foxboro.

WR:  Kendall Wright is the most intriguing to me at this point with his blend of speed/quicks/big play ability and is currently a day 2 kid with Rd 1 upside.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Assuming that the Patriots beat Buffalo and clinch home field, the Patriots pick already can't be before 27th, and that's a worst case.  They're my leader for picking 32nd.  The New Orleans pick is not looking too much better.  How about "top 32"?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Who would you say best fits a Richard Seymour type. I realize Seymour was a 7th overall so they can't get a prospect that highly rated but I'd like to see a guy who can play 3-4 end and 4-3 DT. To me that's the biggest need followed by safety.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Hey MB-
    Just wondering where you would rate Jeff Fuller, WR Texas A&M as far as a fit and where he could be drafted?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from msteven. Show msteven's posts

Fuller is a tall, good hands wide receiver.  I cannot see him lasting beyond 20 but I am not a draftnik.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Fuller played good ball today. Big catch the end of the game. Out jumped the CB. He is probably still smoldering.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]Assuming that the Patriots beat Buffalo and clinch home field, the Patriots pick already can't be before 27th, and that's a worst case.  They're my leader for picking 32nd.  The New Orleans pick is not looking too much better.  How about "top 32"?
    Posted by Paul_K[/QUOTE]

Hey Paul, most of the guys MB metioned are mid 1st to early 4th prospects

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]Hey MB- Just wondering where you would rate Jeff Fuller, WR Texas A&M as far as a fit and where he could be drafted?
    Posted by WazzuWheatfarmer[/QUOTE]

Kid's been plagued by injury and inconsistency this year and could provide some value to a team on day 2 or 3 as he does have Rd 1 potential/talent/measurables etc..  He's not the ultra quick/fluid WR that BB generally targets (nor is Sanu), but he's on my watchlist for "Big" WR's.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]Who would you say best fits a Richard Seymour type. I realize Seymour was a 7th overall so they can't get a prospect that highly rated but I'd like to see a guy who can play 3-4 end and 4-3 DT. To me that's the biggest need followed by safety.
    Posted by shenanigan[/QUOTE]

shenanigan,
    I don't see a surefire, dominant Seymour type kid in this class as things stand today. 

The closest thing, IMO, to Big Sey in the college game is probably LSU RS Soph DT, Michael Brockers (6-6 305) and while he's draft eligible, I haven't seen any talk of him declaring this year.  If he does, he's the first DL off the board and could go in the top 5.  He'd instantly jump to the top of my want list if he declares. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatFanInBA2. Show PatFanInBA2's posts

What is (on average) a good speed (40 yard) for an outside wide receiver?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***TOP 25 DRAFT PROSPECTS*** : Hey Paul, most of the guys MB metioned are mid 1st to early 4th prospects
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

Correct, these are the 25 kids that interest me the most at this point, but aren't the top 25 players in the class overall.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

I agree MB, that the Pats will probably finish with both firsts being in 26-32 range. thus the Pats might have to trade up to get Barron. I could also see a trade down or out with the lower 1st. Still good value in the 2nd round (time to route against the Raiders.....again).

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]What is (on average) a good speed (40 yard) for an outside wide receiver? Looks like Moss ran a 4.25 -  http://forums.projectcovo.com/showthread.php?t=990276
    Posted by PatFanInBA2[/QUOTE]

WR's generally run in the 4.3 - 4.6 range, though there aren't may pure 4.3 kids out there.  BB tends to prefer excellent straight line speed (4.4 range) and/or kids that have excellent triangle numbers (short shuttle/ 3 cone, which reflect COD/lateral agility (Kendall Hunter, Devon Wylie, Jarius Wright and Marquis Maze etc, are WR's that fit this mold, which is why I have them on my list).

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]I agree MB, that the Pats will probably finish with both firsts being in 26-32 range. thus the Pats might have to trade up to get Barron. I could also see a trade down or out with the lower 1st. Still good value in the 2nd round (time to route against the Raiders.....again).
    Posted by JohnHannahrulz[/QUOTE]

JHr,
    I agree, Barron may be a kid that they have to move up for and I would hope that they'd do so within reason (around the 20 range).  We're talking about a big (6-1+ 225), versatile kid that can do it all on the football field.  I'm stuck on repeat, but this kid is a day 1 starter for them, IMO.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

I see Barron going in the 15-22 range and maybe BB throws in a 4th rounder to move ahead of the Jets (LOL). I still think there is a strong possibility that BB trades out, but we have to see who's available in the 26-32 range (Floyd, Hightower etc...) that other teams would want (eg: Saints and Ingram last year). Point is I think he keeps his 2nd round picks and trades a first for 2013 1st and low round pick 4th-6th in 2012.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]I see Barron going in the 15-22 range and maybe BB throws in a 4th rounder to move ahead of the Jets (LOL). I still think there is a strong possibility that BB trades out, but we have to see who's available in the 26-32 range (Floyd, Hightower etc...) that other teams would want (eg: Saints and Ingram last year). Point is I think he keeps his 2nd round picks and trades a first for 2013 1st and low round pick 4th-6th in 2012.
    Posted by JohnHannahrulz[/QUOTE]

I'd like nothing more than to see Barron blow up Sanchez from the blindside on a safety blitz, ha. 

Yes, trading out/back to acquire more picks is definitely BB's M.O.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Mb, Do you agree with Hannah that Barron goes that high?  I'm thinking he might be there towards the end of the 1st round but as the clear top S, that could drive his value up.  I also agree we need a stud S probably as our top need.

I did some math and it appears (assuming the NYG/DAL score holds up) that the Raider pick will be #49.  The highest the New Orleans pick can be is #24if they lose to the Lions during the Wildcard weekend.  The highest our pick can be if we lose during the divisional round is #27.  Obviously I hope our pick is at #32.

Assuming the best draft order happens we will be at:

worst case:

If you had to project right now, give me 3 names per slot that we should be thinking/hoping about.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]Mb, Do you agree with Hannah that Barron goes that high?  I'm thinking he might be there towards the end of the 1st round but as the clear top S, that could drive his value up.  I also agree we need a stud S probably as our top need. I did some math and it appears (assuming the NYG/DAL score holds up) that the Raider pick will be #49.  The highest the New Orleans pick can be is #24if they lose to the Lions during the Wildcard weekend.  The highest our pick can be if we lose during the divisional round is #27.  Obviously I hope our pick is at #32. Assuming the best draft order happens we will be at: #24 #27 #48 worst case:   #31 #32 #49 If you had to project right now, give me 3 names per slot that we should be thinking/hoping about.
    Posted by Faucetman[/QUOTE]

Mb, Do you agree with Hannah that Barron goes that high?  I'm thinking he might be there towards the end of the 1st round but as the clear top S, that could drive his value up.  I also agree we need a stud S probably as our top need. 

Faucet,
    At this point, I think Barron comes off the board somewhere in the bottom half or so of Rd 1, so realistically, they may have to trade up for him. 

I did some math and it appears (assuming the NYG/DAL score holds up) that the Raider pick will be #49.  The highest the New Orleans pick can be is #24if they lose to the Lions during the Wildcard weekend.  The highest our pick can be if we lose during the divisional round is #27.  Obviously I hope our pick is at #32.

Good work.
    Assuming best case scenario, below is what I hope to see:

Assuming the best draft order happens we will be at:

#24-27 Mark Barron S Alabama / Dont’a Hightower LB Alabama / Janoris Jenkins CB N. Alabama
    #31-32 Peter Konz C Wisconsin / Sam Montgomery DE/OLB LSU / Dontari Poe DT Memphis
    #48-49 Stephon Gilmore CB South Carolina / Chase Minnifield CB Virginia / Mohamed Sanu WR Rutgers / Robert Lester S  Alabama

If you had to project right now, give me 3 names per slot that we should be thinking/hoping about.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***TOP 25 DRAFT PROSPECTS*** : Mb, Do you agree with Hannah that Barron goes that high?  I'm thinking he might be there towards the end of the 1st round but as the clear top S, that could drive his value up.  I also agree we need a stud S probably as our top need.   Faucet, At this point, I think Barron comes off the board somewhere in the bottom half or so of Rd 1, so realistically, they may have to trade up for him.   I did some math and it appears (assuming the NYG/DAL score holds up) that the Raider pick will be #49.  The highest the New Orleans pick can be is #24if they lose to the Lions during the Wildcard weekend.  The highest our pick can be if we lose during the divisional round is #27.  Obviously I hope our pick is at #32. Good work. Assuming best case scenario, below is what I hope to see: Assuming the best draft order happens we will be at: #24-27 Mark Barron S Alabama / Dont’a Hightower LB Alabama / Janoris Jenkins CB N. Alabama #31-32 Peter Konz C Wisconsin / Sam Montgomery DE/OLB LSU / Dontari Poe DT Memphis #48-49 Stephon Gilmore CB South Carolina / Chase Minnifield CB Virginia / Mohamed Sanu WR Rutgers / Robert Lester S   Alabama If you had to project right now, give me 3 names per slot that we should be thinking/hoping about.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]

love those names, best scenario for me as ive been saying is needs addressed in fa, grab the studs who will change the game within our reach in the draft.
    obviously whatever we do not accomplish in fa becomes priority in the draft.

need some speed at lb, need to set edge at lb, need penetrating dt, sackmaster de, ballhawk/cover fs, 1 or 2 wr (#1 outside wr and  slot wr), center who can be ctr of future would be nice too all  in fa and draft combined. extra cb a luxury. have listed guys several times in draft thread wont again here. numerous candidates available, however the lb and dl/de's i like i expect to be mostly gone by our pick.

damn guys can you imagine, no one offered victor cruz a contract as a fa except the giants and he got no signing bonus. dude stats:
     over 1500 yards and 18 yards per catch average. someone really missed who was covering fa in this year for the pats.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***TOP 25 DRAFT PROSPECTS*** : Mb, Do you agree with Hannah that Barron goes that high?  I'm thinking he might be there towards the end of the 1st round but as the clear top S, that could drive his value up.  I also agree we need a stud S probably as our top need.   Faucet, At this point, I think Barron comes off the board somewhere in the bottom half or so of Rd 1, so realistically, they may have to trade up for him.   I did some math and it appears (assuming the NYG/DAL score holds up) that the Raider pick will be #49.  The highest the New Orleans pick can be is #24if they lose to the Lions during the Wildcard weekend.  The highest our pick can be if we lose during the divisional round is #27.  Obviously I hope our pick is at #32. Good work. Assuming best case scenario, below is what I hope to see: Assuming the best draft order happens we will be at: #24-27 Mark Barron S Alabama / Dont’a Hightower LB Alabama / Janoris Jenkins CB N. Alabama #31-32 Peter Konz C Wisconsin / Sam Montgomery DE/OLB LSU / Dontari Poe DT Memphis #48-49 Stephon Gilmore CB South Carolina / Chase Minnifield CB Virginia / Mohamed Sanu WR Rutgers / Robert Lester S   Alabama If you had to project right now, give me 3 names per slot that we should be thinking/hoping about.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]
    Thanks Mb.  I'm hoping for something like this as well.  I too am thinking S/CB/LB with 3 of our top 4 picks. 

What's your view on Konz?  It would be a shock to me if BB were to draft a center this high.  How would you compare to Konz to say the Pouncey brothers?