***TOP 25 DRAFT PROSPECTS*** UPDATED 2/23!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ShiningWizard. Show ShiningWizard's posts

Re: ***TOP 25 DRAFT PROSPECTS*** UPDATED 1/3!

In Response to Re: ***TOP 25 DRAFT PROSPECTS*** UPDATED 1/3!:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***TOP 25 DRAFT PROSPECTS*** UPDATED 1/3! : mb, yes well aware, we're not getting peterson/claiborne type player at end of rd 1. still like to get a guy who has proven what he can  do  (fa)and saves a draft pick for other positions we have been needing (and sacrificing for a while)
    Posted by bredbru[/QUOTE]

bredbru, I'm of the the same opinion.  I believe the Pats' secondary is lacking some veteran leadership, although I think Chung can bring a lot of that going forward.  I'd rather see them sign M. Griffin or Goldson in FA and invest their 1st/2nd round draft picks to address other immediate areas of need. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***TOP 25 DRAFT PROSPECTS*** UPDATED 1/3! : bredbru, I'm of the the same opinion.  I believe the Pats' secondary is lacking some veteran leadership, although I think Chung can bring a lot of that going forward.  I'd rather see them sign M. Griffin or Goldson in FA and invest their 1st/2nd round draft picks to address other immediate areas of need. 
    Posted by ShiningWizard[/QUOTE]

I could argue that assuming Chung (should be a captain), DMC (is a captain) and Aarington are healthy, that NE does have some veteran presence in the secondary.  While I'd like to see them add a solid veteran in FA, though the bigger issue is the players that they currently have executing their assignments as they often look lost, make bad decisions, take bad angles, don't locate the football when it's in the air and don't tackle well.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ShiningWizard. Show ShiningWizard's posts

MB,

I'm ok with rolling out DMC, Chung, Ras-I and Arrington next year, but I think that group is still missing a veteran counterpart.  I'm not dismissing guys like Barron or Lester in this draft, I'd just like to see Belichick for once not invest another high draft pick on a CB/S, and instead address the glaring needs of the front 7.  Right now the Pats' d-line consists of guys that are all some variation of the same player: Wilfork, Love, Brace, Deaderick, Warren.  Without A. Carter, there's no disruptive player in that group.   

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***TOP 25 DRAFT PROSPECTS*** UPDATED 1/3! : I could argue that assuming Chung (should be a captain), DMC (is a captain) and Aarington are healthy, that NE does have some veteran presence in the secondary.  While I'd like to see them add a solid veteran in FA, though the bigger issue is the players that they currently have executing their assignments as they often look lost, make bad decisions, take bad angles, don't locate the football when it's in the air and don't tackle well.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]

That's where a vet coming in helps a lot. The vet presence isn't just attitude on the field and locker room it also represents a known playing quality. DB's are one of the few positions that you can judge a player from 1 team to the next as far as basics go. You can see how a player reacts in zone vs man, how they turn to the ball, and how they react to different types of WR's. If you know tackling and getting turned around/lost in coverage is an issue, imo mainly because the DB's coming in were mostly unknown quantities, you can judge how a Harris or Finnegan or Goldson or Griffin would look in those same situations with game footage. Now defensive schemes are different and whether they can pick up those schemes are unknowns but the basics that our DB's are having trouble with are translated between teams. The biggest concerns though is in more complex systems if they understand how to hand players off properly, timing of hand offs/pick ups, and if they can recognize a potential soft spot in the D before it develops. That stuff isn't translatable since it's predicated on the scheme and the secondary playing as a single unit instead of individuals. But, things like turning to find the ball, tackling, recognizing routes, and not getting turned around are fundamentals you can target with vets

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***TOP 25 DRAFT PROSPECTS*** UPDATED 1/3! : That's where a vet coming in helps a lot. The vet presence isn't just attitude on the field and locker room it also represents a known playing quality. DB's are one of the few positions that you can judge a player from 1 team to the next as far as basics go. You can see how a player reacts in zone vs man, how they turn to the ball, and how they react to different types of WR's. If you know tackling and getting turned around/lost in coverage is an issue, imo mainly because the DB's coming in were mostly unknown quantities, you can judge how a Harris or Finnegan or Goldson or Griffin would look in those same situations with game footage. Now defensive schemes are different and whether they can pick up those schemes are unknowns but the basics that our DB's are having trouble with are translated between teams. The biggest concerns though is in more complex systems if they understand how to hand players off properly, timing of hand offs/pick ups, and if they can recognize a potential soft spot in the D before it develops. That stuff isn't translatable since it's predicated on the scheme and the secondary playing as a single unit instead of individuals. But, things like turning to find the ball, tackling, recognizing routes, and not getting turned around are fundamentals you can target with vets
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

My point is, they have veteran presence in the secondary already so it's not a necessity.

Also, the belief that BB shouldn't target CB/S high in the draft due to recent failures drafting/developing those positional groups just doesn't fly, which is the point that I'm mainly arguing against.

I just can't get onboard with ignoring certain prospects/positions in the draft to concentrate on drafting other positions, just for the sake of doing so. 

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]With one of the two first round picks BB will take the kid Konz out of Wisc if he is still on the board. It is a value pick (can play guard & center) and a need pick as Koppen and Connelly are both up this year. The end of the 1st round is roughly where Konz will grade out and BB will say they took the best available player for their needs.
    Posted by jri37[/QUOTE]

I love Konz and think he's one of the 5 or 6 kids that make sense for them in Rd 1 at this point.

The others being:

S Mark Barron
    CB Janoris Jenkins
    LB Dont'a Hightower
    DT Dontari Poe
    DE/LB Sam Montgomery (more based on talent, he's the biggest longshot, IMO as he's a RS sophmore and could return to school).

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Tyler Eifer is returning to ND and I for one am excited to have him back!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]Tyler Eifer is returning to ND and I for one am excited to have him back!

This makes me sad. I was really hoping he'd declare and we could pick him up in the 2nd. It would have opened up so many possibilities

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***TOP 25 DRAFT PROSPECTS*** UPDATED 1/3! : This makes me sad. I was really hoping he'd declare and we could pick him up in the 2nd. It would have opened up so many possibilities
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

Bittersweet, no doubt as he's one of my favorite prospects in this class, just happy to have him on ONE of my teams, ha.

I agree, how would you defend an offense with Welker, Gronk, Hernandez, Eifert etc., at Brady's disposal?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***TOP 25 DRAFT PROSPECTS*** UPDATED 1/3! : I could argue that assuming Chung (should be a captain), DMC (is a captain) and Aarington are healthy, that NE does have some veteran presence in the secondary.  While I'd like to see them add a solid veteran in FA, though the bigger issue is the players that they currently have executing their assignments as they often look lost, make bad decisions, take bad angles, don't locate the football when it's in the air and don't tackle well.

in other words their coaching stinks and they need veteran leadship.
    get a top db coach, get a solid vet.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***TOP 25 DRAFT PROSPECTS*** UPDATED 1/3! : bredbru, I'm of the the same opinion.  I believe the Pats' secondary is lacking some veteran leadership, although I think Chung can bring a lot of that going forward.  I'd rather see them sign M. Griffin or Goldson in FA and invest their 1st/2nd round draft picks to address other immediate areas of need. 
    Posted by ShiningWizard[/QUOTE]

ok so were in agreement, just need the big honcho to get on board :)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***TOP 25 DRAFT PROSPECTS*** UPDATED 1/3! : My point is, they have veteran presence in the secondary already so it's not a necessity. Also, the belief that BB shouldn't target CB/S high in the draft due to recent failures drafting/developing those positional groups just doesn't fly, which is the point that I'm mainly arguing against. I just can't get onboard with ignoring certain prospects/positions in the draft to concentrate on drafting other positions, just for the sake of doing so. 

mb, imo not for the saek of it, for teh sake of they would be better met through a fa vet and for the sake that other positons are of greater need as draft pickups.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***TOP 25 DRAFT PROSPECTS*** UPDATED 1/3! : I love Konz and think he's one of the 5 or 6 kids that make sense for them in Rd 1 at this point. The others being: S Mark Barron CB Janoris Jenkins LB Dont'a Hightower DT Dontari Poe DE/LB Sam Montgomery (more based on talent, he's the biggest longshot, IMO as he's a RS sophmore and could return to school).

havent watched montgomery, want hightower of that group.
    do we need a 2nd nose tackle? i dont want ot move wilfork over. already have one slow pile stopper.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***TOP 25 DRAFT PROSPECTS*** UPDATED 1/3! : in other words their coaching stinks and they need veteran leadship. get a top db coach, get a solid vet.
    Posted by bredbru[/QUOTE]

They just need better personnel, regardless of where it's coming from.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***TOP 25 DRAFT PROSPECTS*** UPDATED 1/3! : They just need better personnel, regardless of where it's coming from.

thanks for the thoughts. def better personnel and coaching. gotta have some vet leadership back there imo

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Re: ***TOP 25 DRAFT PROSPECTS*** UPDATED 1/10!

Updated 1/11.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Re: ***TOP 25 DRAFT PROSPECTS*** UPDATED 1/14!

Updated 1/14.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Re: ***TOP 25 DRAFT PROSPECTS*** UPDATED 1/17!

Updated 1/17.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Re: ***TOP 25 DRAFT PROSPECTS*** UPDATED 1/17!

is this a fairly good assessment of the how the top 25 d prospects rank against each other?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1024855-2012-nfl-mock-draft-ranking-the-best-defensive-prospects

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Re: ***TOP 25 DRAFT PROSPECTS*** UPDATED 1/21!

Updated 1/21.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

MB why no love for Cool Hand Luke? Kuechly surely he has to be in consideration? Hilton is absolute diva and could catch a cold in in an environmentally safe bubble! The dude is all that and a bag of peanuts!!!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: ***TOP 25 DRAFT PROSPECTS*** UPDATED 1/21!:
    [QUOTE]MB why no love for Cool Hand Luke? Kuechly surely he has to be in consideration? Hilton is absolute diva and could catch a cold in in an environmentally safe bubble! The dude is all that and a bag of peanuts!!!!
    Posted by sportsbozo1[/QUOT

Kid is good football player and I love his ability, I just don't think he's on the board when NE is on the clock.

Also, at this point, I also think he's light for there preferences.  If he comes in at 240+ a the combine, then maybe.

Sections
Shortcuts