***TOP 25 DRAFT PROSPECTS*** UPDATED 2/23!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Re: ***TOP 25 DRAFT PROSPECTS***

In Response to Re: ***TOP 25 DRAFT PROSPECTS***:

In Response to Re: ***TOP 25 DRAFT PROSPECTS*** : Thanks Mb.  I'm hoping for something like this as well.  I too am thinking S/CB/LB with 3 of our top 4 picks.  What's your view on Konz?  It would be a shock to me if BB were to draft a center this high.  How would you compare to Konz to say the Pouncey brothers?
    Posted by Faucetman

Welcome.

Everything I've read/scene on Konz has been positive below are my thoughts on him:

Positives:
    *He moves well, good feet.
    *Really fires off the line.
    *Plays with good leverage (especially for a kid listed at 6-5).
    *Athletic, and looks comfortable in space, experience pulling
    *Gets to the 2nd level easily.
    *Is strong at the POA.
    *Experience operating in the shotgun, snaps look solid.
    *Excellent program pedigree.

Negatives:
    *Needs to keep his head up when he gets to the second level, as he will overpursue his target on occasion.
    *Ends up on the ground/looses balance on occasion, but generally completes his block.
    *Will have to check his ankle out (dislocated it during the season).

To be honest,  I wouldn't be shocked at all if he selected Konz in Rd 1 as there are plenty of rumors that BB almost took Eric Wood before eventually trading out of Rd 1.  I know I've been saying that I don't expect them to go high on an OC, but I may be changing my toon after researching this kid.  Not saying he'll do it as Georgia C Ben Jones in Rd 2 or 3 could provide better value, but the kid looks like a very good option at the back end of Rd 1 and per Chad Reuter (CBS Draft Scout) "there's not much difference between him and the Pouncey brothers,".

Overall, I think he's the best C in this class, though I read this AM that he's 50/50 on coming out, so we'll have to see. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: ***TOP 25 DRAFT PROSPECTS*** : love those names, best scenario for me as ive been saying is needs addressed in fa, grab the studs who will change the game within our reach in the draft. obviously whatever we do not accomplish in fa becomes priority in the draft. need some speed at lb, need to set edge at lb, need penetrating dt, sackmaster de, ballhawk/cover fs, 1 or 2 wr (#1 outside wr and  slot wr), center who can be ctr of future would be nice too all  in fa and draft combined. extra cb a luxury. have listed guys several times in draft thread wont again here. numerous candidates available, however the lb and dl/de's i like i expect to be mostly gone by our pick. damn guys can you imagine, no one offered victor cruz a contract as a fa except the giants and he got no signing bonus. dude stats:  over 1500 yards and 18 yards per catch average. someone really missed who was covering fa in this year for the pats.
    Posted by bredbru

Kid's the real deal and what makes it worse is, he played his college ball right in their backyard!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Re: ***TOP 25 DRAFT PROSPECTS*** UPDATED 1/3!

I think the thing that is most interesting (and hard to project) is the type of player they will go after based off of what they plan to run next year. It looks as if the two young guys that would normally be 34 outside backers (Cunningham and Markell Carter) had bulked up into the 270 range.

That tells me either they think both can't play 34 outside backer (in the case of Markell I could definitely see that he can't) or that they're trying to build 43 type defensive ends. I found this interesting because Cunningham had a rookie year outside that looked some what promising.

Do they draft 34 type of guys along the line and linebacker, or do they grab a true 43 defensive end and linebacker? What they probably will do is draft neither and leave us all scratching our heads for the next 6 months.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from fishers5. Show fishers5's posts

first round.....Steven gilmore   and sam montgomery
    2nd round,,,,,,nutt ( iowa_)    and R Lester

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to Re: ***TOP 25 DRAFT PROSPECTS*** : Welcome. Everything I've read/scene on Konz has been positive below are my thoughts on him: Positives: *He moves well, good feet. *Really fires off the line. *Plays with good leverage (especially for a kid listed at 6-5). *Athletic, and looks comfortable in space, experience pulling *Gets to the 2nd level easily. *Is strong at the POA. *Experience operating in the shotgun, snaps look solid. *Excellent program pedigree. Negatives: *Needs to keep his head up when he gets to the second level, as he will overpursue his target on occasion. *Ends up on the ground/looses balance on occasion, but generally completes his block. *Will have to check his ankle out (dislocated it during the season). To be honest,  I wouldn't be shocked at all if he selected Konz in Rd 1 as there are plenty of rumors that BB almost took Eric Wood before eventually trading out of Rd 1.  I know I've been saying that I don't expect them to go high on an OC, but I may be changing my toon after researching this kid.  Not saying he'll do it as Georgia C Ben Jones in Rd 2 or 3 could provide better value, but the kid looks like a very good option at the back end of Rd 1 and per Chad Reuter (CBS Draft Scout)  "there's not much difference between him and the Pouncey brothers," . Overall, I think he's the best C in this class, though I read this AM that he's 50/50 on coming out, so we'll have to see. 
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

i must be channeling you guy's thoughts, as lsat night i was dreaming that pats maytake konz (laughs).

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to Re: ***TOP 25 DRAFT PROSPECTS*** : Kid's the real deal and what makes it worse is, he played his college ball right in their backyard!
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

somebody in personnel had a brain cramp.
    wonder every year why they dont trun over their scout dept

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to Re: ***TOP 25 DRAFT PROSPECTS*** UPDATED 1/3!:
    I think the thing that is most interesting (and hard to project) is the type of player they will go after based off of what they plan to run next year. It looks as if the two young guys that would normally be 34 outside backers (Cunningham and Markell Carter) had bulked up into the 270 range.   That tells me either they think both can't play 34 outside backer (in the case of Markell I could definitely see that he can't) or that they're trying to build 43 type defensive ends. I found this interesting because Cunningham had a rookie year outside that looked some what promising. Do they draft 34 type of guys along the line and linebacker, or do they grab a true 43 defensive end and linebacker? What they probably will do is draft neither and leave us all scratching our heads for the next 6 months.
    Posted by mthurl

you forgot, and cursing! :)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

all you guys saing cb and safety in rd 1 and 2, do you no thihnk we do anything in fa? how could we not?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Gents any news on Orakpo coming out?  I'm thinking he could be an option late 2nd maybe 3rd.  I think he will be a workout freak so a team might reach.  Can't find anywhere if he's declared yet

Another option Jacquies Smith Missouri, not Aldon Smith but he's very talented.  Right now a few places having as a 4th rnd grade, 6'3" 252 4.62 40 but a guy who's I'm trying to find more film on is 
    Jake Bequette, Arkansas 6'5" 271 also low 4.6s 40.  this guy is a sack master, saw a stat leads all SEC active players in sacks that's a pretty good one averages .89 sacks a game in the SEC!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

all you guys saing cb and safety in rd 1 and 2, do you no thihnk we do anything in fa? how could we not?
    Posted by bredbru

Drafting multiple DB's on day 1/2 in the draft doesn't mean you can't address the position via FA as well.  I see them addressing the position via both avenues.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Gents any news on Orakpo coming out?  I'm thinking he could be an option late 2nd maybe 3rd.  I think he will be a workout freak so a team might reach.  Can't find anywhere if he's declared yet Another option Jacquies Smith Missouri, not Aldon Smith but he's very talented.  Right now a few places having as a 4th rnd grade, 6'3" 252 4.62 40 but a guy who's I'm trying to find more film on is  Jake Bequette, Arkansas 6'5" 271 also low 4.6s 40.  this guy is a sack master, saw a stat leads all SEC active players in sacks that's a pretty good one averages .89 sacks a game in the SEC!
    Posted by Pats7393

I assume you're referring to Okafor vs. Orakpo? haha

Haven't seen any news on whether he's coming out or not yet.

Bequette is a kid that I look forward to watching more tape on to see where he may fit (34 OLB/43 DE/both etc.)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

In Response to Re: ***TOP 25 DRAFT PROSPECTS*** UPDATED 1/3! : I assume you're referring to Okafor vs. Orakpo? haha Haven't seen any news on whether he's coming out or not yet. Bequette is a kid that I look forward to watching more tape on to see where he may fit (34 OLB/43 DE/both etc.)
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

Where the hell did I get Okafor from!  Orakpo, atleast they both start with an O jajaja

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: ***TOP 25 DRAFT PROSPECTS*** UPDATED 1/3! : Where the hell did I get Okafor from!  Orakpo, atleast they both start with an O jajaja
    Posted by Pats7393

I think you still have it backwards ;)  Okafor is the correct name, but yeah, both with an O and both edge players from UT, haha.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to Re: ***TOP 25 DRAFT PROSPECTS*** UPDATED 1/3! : Drafting multiple DB's on day 1/2 in the draft doesn't mean you can't address the position via FA as well.  I see them addressing the position via both avenues.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

im on record on preferring if at all possible to not AGAIN pick secondary players with our draft picks this year. too many picks used in recent years to go back again. its a drain on other positions.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: ***TOP 25 DRAFT PROSPECTS*** UPDATED 1/3! : im on record on preferring if at all possible to not AGAIN pick secondary players with our draft picks this year. too many picks used in recent years to go back again. its a drain on other positions.
    Posted by bredbru

I just don't think BB/Caserio etc., would be deterred from targeting the secondary (nor do I think they should) based on recent draft failures.  If there are better values available at other positions then make the pick, but you can't shy away from a position(s).

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Hey MB,

I think you should take a second look at Derek Wolfe and think about adding him to the list.

He has the size and motor BB loves as well as the football intelligence and being a leader of the D on the field. Single covered he has great hand work and leg strength to be disruptive behind the line. It's true dbl teamed he has trouble shedding blockers but in a 43 as a DT if they dbl Wolfe and Wilfork then they are single blocking your ends and in a 34 if they dbl him again with Wilfork then the other DE in singled same with the rush LB. So, I don't see him having trouble with dbl teams as an issue

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Hey MB, I think you should take a second look at Derek Wolfe and think about adding him to the list. He has the size and motor BB loves as well as the football intelligence and being a leader of the D on the field. Single covered he has great hand work and leg strength to be disruptive behind the line. It's true dbl teamed he has trouble shedding blockers but in a 43 as a DT if they dbl Wolfe and Wilfork then they are single blocking your ends and in a 34 if they dbl him again with Wilfork then the other DE in singled same with the rush LB. So, I don't see him having trouble with dbl teams as an issue http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=iJsmdwFcPyg
    Posted by PatsEng

PE,
    Actually thought about adding him yesterday, have just added him to the "Next Man In" section and could see him joing the Top 25 soon (probably before Crick/Ta'amu).  Tough to ignore the size/length and production and I love his motor.  Good find by you!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to Re: ***TOP 25 DRAFT PROSPECTS*** UPDATED 1/3! : I just don't think BB/Caserio etc., would be deterred from targeting the secondary (nor do I think they should) based on recent draft failures.  If there are better values available at other positions then make the pick, but you can't shy away from a position(s).
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

i hear your point and agree they probably think that. i would try to get what dbs i need in fa. (unless you're pulling the trigger on patrick peterson, or claiborne) and use the picks for front 7, wr, center, maybe te.

and if we go fs, i do like lester and you and others have a couple other guys who are possible i know (barron, martin, etc).

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: ***TOP 25 DRAFT PROSPECTS*** UPDATED 1/3! : i hear your point and agree they probably think that. i would try to get what dbs i need in fa. (unless you're pulling the trigger on patrick peterson, or claiborne) and use the picks for front 7, wr, center, maybe te. and if we go fs, i do like lester and you and others have a couple other guys who are possible i know (barron, martin, etc).
    Posted by bredbru

Problem is, you're not getting Peterson or Claiborne etc., at the bottom of Rd 1, though I still think there are a good amount of CB's available in this class and in their range.  

I don't think S is as deep as CB, though the additions of underclassmen like TJ McDonald, Baccari Rambo, Ray Ray Armstrong and Robert Lester etc., could certainly strengthen the class. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to Re: ***TOP 25 DRAFT PROSPECTS*** UPDATED 1/3! : Problem is, you're not getting Peterson or Claiborne etc., at the bottom of Rd 1, though I still think there are a good amount of CB's available in this class and in their range.   I don't think S is as deep as CB, though the additions of underclassmen like TJ McDonald, Baccari Rambo, Ray Ray Armstrong and Roberst Lester etc., could certainly strengthen the class. 
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

mb, yes well aware, we're not getting peterson/claiborne type player at end of rd 1. still like to get a guy who has proven what he can  do  (fa)and saves a draft pick for other positions we have been needing (and sacrificing for a while)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

bump
    where are all you all?
    nobody showed up today?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

bump where are all you all? nobody showed up today?
    Posted by bredbru

No big college news for right now that would affect MB's current top 25. I'm sure after a couple more bowl games there will be a lot more chatter

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from griswold. Show griswold's posts

No love for Antonio Allen who plays Spur position for Gamecocks? Hybrid SS/LB in college will play safety in pros.  Lower profile, but much more solid than Stephon Gilmore...the somewhat overrated CB there.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

No love for Antonio Allen who plays Spur position for Gamecocks? Hybrid SS/LB in college will play safety in pros.  Lower profile, but much more solid than Stephon Gilmore...the somewhat overrated CB there.
    Posted by griswold

imo people are always hesitant on players that play the Spur. You can almost count on 1 hand the amount Spurs that made it in the Pro's. Primarily because they a good LB's and good S's but don't excel in either in the college ranks, which doesn't typically translate to the pro's. Most Spurs end up as STer's at best and can never make a complete transition to either S or LB. Now a player like Allen has a shot at transition to a full time SS but when you separate out the numbers to either S or LB his stats are relatively average compared to alternatives at either position. He'd be a project at the next level that could take a number of years to develop into the position. As a mid-late round selection he might be worth a shot (provided you have the roster depth or can hide him on the PS) but because of the split position he's more of a day 3 kid

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Posted by griswold

I had commented on Allen in the draft thread, looks like a potential mid-late round S option with some good ability down in the box.

Curious on how Gilmore is overrated?  Based on my research/film review, the biggest knock on him is his lack of elite speed, though he's a 4.5 kid with excellent instincts and awareness, he'll also need to have his technique (backpedal) cleaned up a bit as he uses more shuffle in zone.

Kid is a physical 6-1 195 CB that projects well in both zone/man concepts, tackles well and can quickly locate and close on the football.  He'll also provide some value as a blitzer and will play on ST.

Sections
Shortcuts