Top 3 Things for Super Bowl

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

Top 3 Things for Super Bowl

Aside from the obvious "the whole team must stay healthy (more specifically Gronk and Revis)," and "we need the lucky bounces," what are the top 3 things that must happen if the Pats are to hoist the elusive 4th Lombardi?

1. The DL must create a consistent pass rush.  A lot of this hinges on the health of Wilfork, Kelly, and Easley. In recent playoff losses, QBs have had a cakewalk bobbin up and down in the pocket with plenty of time just picking apart our secondary.  The pressure, not necessarily the sacks, must be more consistent.  If Easley can come in and generate pressure up the middle, it should leave a lot of room for Chandler/Nink to wreak havoc on the opposing QB.

2. The OL must protect Brady better in big games.  In recent years, they have blocked extremely well in the regular season only to fall completely on their faces in the playoffs.  Could this be attributed to the overwhelming amount of dropbacks?  Possibly.  The running game must do its part in order to help preserve the OL and contribute to a better performance.

3. Development of 2nd year wideouts, specifically Dobson and Boyce.  I'm not too high on Thompkins but we will see how he performs in TC.  Having Gronk back should leave Dobson/Boyce with a lot of open looks

These are obviously pretty broad areas that I've addressed but I really think it all comes down to the battle in the trenches.  They must be tougher on both sides of the ball.  Both the OL and DL must play exceptionally well, or at least to their potential, if the Pats are going to capture that 4th Lombardi.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from AyyyBoston. Show AyyyBoston's posts

Re: Top 3 Things for Super Bowl

I agree Irish. Being able to put pressure on the opposing QB is a huge need. The Pats can't let guys like Peyton Manning to get comfortable in the pocket, with all the time in the world to throw. Likewise, the Pats need to protect Brady and give him time...this is increased in importance the fact that Brady is not a very mobile QB. If he has the time, he will find guys.

I feel good about Dobson if he can come back healthy. Boyce and Thompkins are question marks, but we will see more in training camp and once the season starts.

Only other thing I would add is RBs...Ridley needs to have a big year and miniize fumbles, especially with Blount gone. Vereen staying healthy would be great. This will take pressure off the passing game and allow the Pats to control the clock more.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kinchow. Show Kinchow's posts

We need to drastically improve our 3rd down defense.  Last year the D couldn't get off the field.  

The "bend but don't break" mentality needs to morph into "get off my field!"

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

In response to AyyyBoston's comment:

I agree Irish. Being able to put pressure on the opposing QB is a huge need. The Pats can't let guys like Peyton Manning to get comfortable in the pocket, with all the time in the world to throw. Likewise, the Pats need to protect Brady and give him time...this is increased in importance the fact that Brady is not a very mobile QB. If he has the time, he will find guys.

I feel good about Dobson if he can come back healthy. Boyce and Thompkins are question marks, but we will see more in training camp and once the season starts.

Only other thing I would add is RBs...Ridley needs to have a big year and miniize fumbles, especially with Blount gone. Vereen staying healthy would be great. This will take pressure off the passing game and allow the Pats to control the clock more.

I agree.  I still thought Ridley was the best RB we had last year but he really needs to improve his ball security if he ever wants to be the lead back here come January.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

In response to Kinchow's comment:

We need to drastically improve our 3rd down defense.  Last year the D couldn't get off the field.  

The "bend but don't break" mentality needs to morph into "get off my field!"

I agree, Kinchow.  I think the 3rd down D improves drastically if we can generate a consistent pass rush.  In recent playoff losses, QBs have been able to pitch a tent and chill until a receiver got open.  A lot of blame has been placed on our secondary but they can only cover for so long.  

I think having Revis and a physical corner like Browner will also help the 3rd down D, regardless if the QB pressure improves.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

Great thread.... everything cited is needed for them to be successful and make them a contender. The one thing that they will need to go along with those things is execution in big spots/games. It seems like over the last 10 years they have been a play or 2 away from having at least 2, possibly 3 more titles. The stars of the team really need to step up and make game changing plays when the game is on the line.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

1. Brady

2. Gronk

3. Revis

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Broad: STAY relatively HEALTHY

Narrow: Brady, Gronk and Revis 100%

More narrow things needed to improve upon:

Like you said, the Patriots need to win the battle in the trenches. If you go look at the playoff losses since 2007 many of them have one common theme. They couldn't get to the opposition's QB and couldn't contain the run and they couldn't protect Brady and run effectively.

The DLine needs to put more pressure on the QB and force him to make mistakes while the interior DL needs to stuff the run and not let teams get those 3rd and 2 runs all the time.

The OLine has been horrible in January dating back to SB42 where Brady would have maybe .5 seconds to make a play. Also, since 2007, the running game in January has been nonexistent. The OL gets penetrated too easily and then we just give up on the ground game.

And third, I would also agree and say the young guys progression, not just WRs. Collins, Hightower, Jones, Harmon, Ryan, Dennard, Dobson, Boyce, and KT can all improve and make this team one of the best we have ever seen. Obviously not all of them will make huge strides but if atleast over half do, we are talking serious business.

So pretty much, outside of health, winning the game in the trenches is of the utmost importance.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Dobson will get alot of open looks from the sidelines

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Sounds good assuming #1 also improves the horrid 3rd down pass defense.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

In response to IrishMob7's comment:

Aside from the obvious "the whole team must stay healthy (more specifically Gronk and Revis)," and "we need the lucky bounces," what are the top 3 things that must happen if the Pats are to hoist the elusive 4th Lombardi?

1. The DL must create a consistent pass rush.  A lot of this hinges on the health of Wilfork, Kelly, and Easley. In recent playoff losses, QBs have had a cakewalk bobbin up and down in the pocket with plenty of time just picking apart our secondary.  The pressure, not necessarily the sacks, must be more consistent.  If Easley can come in and generate pressure up the middle, it should leave a lot of room for Chandler/Nink to wreak havoc on the opposing QB.

2. The OL must protect Brady better in big games.  In recent years, they have blocked extremely well in the regular season only to fall completely on their faces in the playoffs.  Could this be attributed to the overwhelming amount of dropbacks?  Possibly.  The running game must do its part in order to help preserve the OL and contribute to a better performance.

3. Development of 2nd year wideouts, specifically Dobson and Boyce.  I'm not too high on Thompkins but we will see how he performs in TC.  Having Gronk back should leave Dobson/Boyce with a lot of open looks

These are obviously pretty broad areas that I've addressed but I really think it all comes down to the battle in the trenches.  They must be tougher on both sides of the ball.  Both the OL and DL must play exceptionally well, or at least to their potential, if the Pats are going to capture that 4th Lombardi.

great post.  I would agree.

On the defensive side of the ball, imo, the Patriots have to be top 5 in points against, red zone defense, and takeaway/giveaway ratio.

They have to be top 10-15 in pass defense, 15-25 in run defense.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Good post.  I'd add pass coverage needs to be better, but I think that's been addressed with the secondary changes and hopefully the linebacker changes. Last year, coverage declined precipitously when Talib was out. Losing Revis this year would hurt as losing Talib did last year, but if it were to happen I'd hope the remaining guys could do better carrying the weight.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Most of mine echo what has already been said but I'll toss my two cents in here

#1 - The D has to get off the field quickly. Turn-overs are better but they have to get themselves off the field on 3rd downs. Generate some pressure on QB's and hold in the secondary. You get pressure on teams to convert more 3rd downs and limit the amount of 1st downs they get and the turn-overs will come

#2 - A reliable offensive weapon. I don't care if this means Gronk stays 100% healthy or the switch in the WR core somehow gets flips and they figure out how to generate separation or if the RB's all suddenly turn into AP but the RZ efficiency we saw late last year can't happen again. When the post season comes Brady can't do it all on his own he needs 1-2 other players to step up and last year Gronk was out, Amendola's could only muster 1 drop, Edelman couldn't get separation, the rooks were rooks, Vereen was injured, and BB didn't trust Ridley. Seriously, no QB can succeed if none of his weapons step up.

#3 - ST's play. If #2 happens the OL should get a boast just from teams not being able to rush every down but last year the return game was god awful. The O and D need better field positions to start from. We haven't had a return game for years and relying solely on Edelman (who I love as a PR man) is dangerous given his nature to get injured and right now he's our #1 WR. Without great ST's play this year we might be in for a tough haul.

Health is the easy choice but honestly we can't count on that given the amount of injury prone players as starters. We really need people to step up if we want another SB. They did a great job this offseason addressing #1 and some of their late round guys I think can really help with #3 but #2 does concern me. I don't think LaFell by himself is the answer and putting a lot of faith into White might be asking too much this season. Hopefully someone might get released that can step up at the WR or TE position but if you are counting on another team to release a play or that you get lucky than that's a losing mentality to begin with. We'll have to see how the season plays out but I fear #2 is what's going to make or break us. 

I swear by lil 10 pound bearded baby Jesus

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Dont be too quick to overlook Thompkins.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:

[object HTMLDivElement]

Why not, BB did when he stuck him on the bench as we had pretty much no other WRs too throw to.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

There isn't going to be any stinking SB win for us as long as BB is GM.

Question: How can you tell when Rusty's lying?

Answer: He typed something.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

1. Beer
    2. Food
    3. More beer

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to IrishMob7's comment:

Just curious, based on the production we got from an undrafted guy(KT) vs Boyce who is a 5th rounder who redshirted, how are you "not high" on KT but are anxious to see Boyce who has been a dissapointment?  I think lots of folks may be surprised if Boyce is cut but the writing is on the wall IMO. We have 2 slot guys already on the roster and then signed Gallon. If Boyce is a slot guy, BB sure aint endorsing him. I think he is on the bubble and needs to show massive improvement in picking up the offense. K.T. , say what you want...he hit is ceiling, not super fast,etc but He WAS our best playmaker until he hurt his hip and never recovered. Brady hitched his wagon to him from day 1 so I dont see him going anywhere.

Lots of fans are rooting for a guy who did nothing just because he has speed and agility over an undrafted guy who did quite well in his 1st year. I just dont get why people always think the bench guys are better. The guy redshirted for a reason and I called it all along. No way you get production from 3 rooks in the same year. Now he has a harder chance with more competition and veterans in front of him.

B.Tate has Speed and Agility and so did T.Price...they didnt last long. Production is what keeps you on a team, not Potential

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to DougIrwin's comment:

In response to PatsEng's comment:

In response to portfolio1's comment:

[object HTMLDivElement]

Why not, BB did when he stuck him on the bench as we had pretty much no other WRs too throw to.

Had nothing to do with talent but maturity.  Apparently, after the saints game, he got a case of the big head.  That is per zolak.

It has very little to do with talent.  It was a rookie coaching moment and by all accounts, he has been tearing it up in camp so far.

If brady likes him, then so do i.

Whoa. KT played poorly in the Jets game. He lost snaps to Collie in the Phins game, where as Dobson played well. Dobson exploded against the Steelers while KT was inactive. Boyce really opened everyones eyes when he got on the field

drops, poor routes, not keeping his feet under him, not beating press coverage, Dobson emerging. Boyce emerging. That is why KT was not on the field, not big head. 

He came back after Dobson and Boyce injured.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

Just curious, based on the production we got from an undrafted guy(KT) vs Boyce who is a 5th rounder who redshirted, how are you "not high" on KT but are anxious to see Boyce who has been a dissapointment?  I think lots of folks may be surprised if Boyce is cut but the writing is on the wall IMO. We have 2 slot guys already on the roster and then signed Gallon. If Boyce is a slot guy, BB sure aint endorsing him. I think he is on the bubble and needs to show massive improvement in picking up the offense. K.T. , say what you want...he hit is ceiling, not super fast,etc but He WAS our best playmaker until he hurt his hip and never recovered. Brady hitched his wagon to him from day 1 so I dont see him going anywhere.

Lots of fans are rooting for a guy who did nothing just because he has speed and agility over an undrafted guy who did quite well in his 1st year. I just dont get why people always think the bench guys are better. The guy redshirted for a reason and I called it all along. No way you get production from 3 rooks in the same year. Now he has a harder chance with more competition and veterans in front of him.

B.Tate has Speed and Agility and so did T.Price...they didnt last long. Production is what keeps you on a team, not Potential

I was very impressed with how quickly Thompkins came in, learned the playbook, and got on Tom's good side.  However, I also realize he has probably hit his ceiling in regards to physical limitations and production.  Teams started shutting him down down the stretch and it looked like he lost TB and BB's trust towards the end of the season.  Maybe he hit a wall, maybe he was injured, I don't know.  There are positive reviews coming out and how hard he's worked in the offseason and in OTAs so I'm hoping he proves me wrong.

In regards to Boyce, he is electric.  He's Percy Harvin electric.  Sure he didn't do much in his first year but not many receivers do, especially in this offense (yes, I know Thompkins did).  Also, I think you're selling Boyce a little short in regards to his flexibility.  He's not strictly a slot receiver.  He lined up on the outside a lot in college as well.  I think an offseason will do him the most good compared to the rest of the 2nd year receivers.  I think we need to employ more bubble screens and get him out into open space because he's a home run threat every time he touches the ball.  

I'm not anointing him as the next superstar but I do believe he has more of a chance to break out than Thompkins does.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Most of mine echo what has already been said but I'll toss my two cents in here

#1 - The D has to get off the field quickly. Turn-overs are better but they have to get themselves off the field on 3rd downs. Generate some pressure on QB's and hold in the secondary. You get pressure on teams to convert more 3rd downs and limit the amount of 1st downs they get and the turn-overs will come

#2 - A reliable offensive weapon. I don't care if this means Gronk stays 100% healthy or the switch in the WR core somehow gets flips and they figure out how to generate separation or if the RB's all suddenly turn into AP but the RZ efficiency we saw late last year can't happen again. When the post season comes Brady can't do it all on his own he needs 1-2 other players to step up and last year Gronk was out, Amendola's could only muster 1 drop, Edelman couldn't get separation, the rooks were rooks, Vereen was injured, and BB didn't trust Ridley. Seriously, no QB can succeed if none of his weapons step up.

#3 - ST's play. If #2 happens the OL should get a boast just from teams not being able to rush every down but last year the return game was god awful. The O and D need better field positions to start from. We haven't had a return game for years and relying solely on Edelman (who I love as a PR man) is dangerous given his nature to get injured and right now he's our #1 WR. Without great ST's play this year we might be in for a tough haul.

Health is the easy choice but honestly we can't count on that given the amount of injury prone players as starters. We really need people to step up if we want another SB. They did a great job this offseason addressing #1 and some of their late round guys I think can really help with #3 but #2 does concern me. I don't think LaFell by himself is the answer and putting a lot of faith into White might be asking too much this season. Hopefully someone might get released that can step up at the WR or TE position but if you are counting on another team to release a play or that you get lucky than that's a losing mentality to begin with. We'll have to see how the season plays out but I fear #2 is what's going to make or break us. 

I swear by lil 10 pound bearded baby Jesus

Great post, PE.  I don't think we will see a dominant offensive weapon evolve (outside of Gronk) but I do believe we will see a lot of guys put up more consistent numbers with Brady spreading the ball around more.  I see Dobson, Lafell, Amendola and Edelman all in the range of 600-900 yards each.  

Also, I'm pumped about this White kid.  I think we will see a lot of 2-back sets with White and Vereen setting up a lot of screen action.  Brady is at his best when we have a consistent run game so he can utilize PA, but also when his running backs are able to get out in space and take advantage of the screen game.

I hope we see Boyce get some looks in the return game

• You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

Good post.  I'd add pass coverage needs to be better, but I think that's been addressed with the secondary changes and hopefully the linebacker changes. Last year, coverage declined precipitously when Talib was out. Losing Revis this year would hurt as losing Talib did last year, but if it were to happen I'd hope the remaining guys could do better carrying the weight.

If God forbid Revis goes down, I think we are much better equipped to deal with his absence than we were last year with Talib.  Adding Browner, the development of Ryan and Dennard, and the emergence of Jamie Collins as a LB who can cover elite TEs is going to help tremendously. 

Wouldn't it be great to see a Patriots team not sustain any significant injuries to their star players for once?  

• Sections
    Shortcuts