Top 5 greatest need.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from akius. Show akius's posts

Top 5 greatest need.

I love BB, and he works in mysterious ways, So I won't be surprised if he picks WR with his first pick. IDK I'm just saying but here are my Top 5 Needs.

1. More Coaching - We are so good at blowing other teams out but we rarely now win games that go down the line. I think more high quality coaching can make a difference here.

2. DE/OLB - Lot of time Stats are misleading and paint an incomplete picture. But sometimes they can crystallize the trust. The AVG QB rating of opposing QBs is above 100, you can't run away from that and until that changes or defense will never be superbowl ready. Plus Ninkovich and Banta Cain are solid backups thats it (That's why BB won the best coach award)

3. RB - Brady's deep ball is not the best in the world so a little help by a bruiser back like Mark Ingram type should open new doors for him.

4. OL - Need to find more depth here.

5 CB - As everyone knows this is becoming a more pass driven league the hottest commodities on defense will soon be ball hawking secondary.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

Re: Top 5 greatest need.

1. DE/OLB
    2. OL
    3. RB
    4. CB
    5. WR

Coaching? Not sure I follow. Who exactly would like for us to go get? Wouldn't that mean Brady working with a whole new playbook when he's clearly already familiar with one? We already have the best defensive mind in football coaching the defense. Our offensive coaching was good enough to drop 31 points in 8-9 straight games. They could have handled things better in the loss against the Jets but coaching didn't cause the Brady INT or the Crumpler drop. Coaching put Chung in the right position to make a play but it's not responsible for him not making the play. Sanchez threw a perfect ball to Holmes who made a diving catch --- no coaching could have stopped that. I don't see Belichick going out and getting "actual coordinators" because he has talented people there already. They just need some playoff experience, which they've gotten the past two years. There's no point in getting Brady familiar with a whole new system at this point in his career and then taking a step back to get new personnel that fits the new system.

We're fine when it comes to coaching.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from akius. Show akius's posts

But don't you think since the superbowl loss we have "kinda" lost our ability to compete in close games I'm not saying we should go get one particular guy but I think we should promote someone from the staff or try to bring someone back who is already familiar with the situation.  So we can make quicker and more apt adjustments. When I watch certain games I see the tide turning within the first half and it becomes quite evident that we aren't goona win that game.

Do you get that feeling sometimes too?

Like the jets game (playoff) and the browns game I knew with in the first half that we were going to loose those games. I'm not being negative Its very instinctual I can't put my finger on it but there are games where we look lost.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

Oh yeah, I definitely get that feeling but to me, we're not as far away as we look at times.

You also have to remember that in those days, we had veteran teams. Whereas now, we're dealing with very young and inexperienced teams. In those games, Brady could afford a pick or two because we had a defense that would find a way to get the ball back. These days, we're asking Brady to be perfect because the defense is not talented and experienced enough to carry the team. Not yet at least. With one more solid draft, we could be there.

On a similar note, I think there's one thing Belichick should consider: loosening up the environment a bit before playoff games. I think for the younger guys, it just may be a bit too business-like and that could be causing pressure.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from timesedge. Show timesedge's posts

Our coaching is fine. It's the execution that was lacking. As Mike Reiss said if Brady didn't have that interception and Crumpler hadn't dropped the ball in the end zone we'd be having a very different conversation right now.

I think that Wilfork/Brace/Warren/Warren is a very strong DL

I also think that McCourty/Bodden/Butler/Wilhite are a pretty decent grouping of CBs.

I feel pretty comfortable with our WR group, or S group, our QBs, and our TEs and don't think that we should make many changes there unless we see a talent that can't be ignored.

On the other hand:

I do think that there is a hole in the Cunningham/Ninkovitch/Moore group, that the OL could use some work, especially if Light or Mankins leaves, and that having a good all-around RB would make the group of BJGE/Woodhead much better.

So, all that being said, this would be my order of preference:

1) OLB #1 pass rusher

2) OL

3) RB

4) DE

5) CB

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

In Response to Top 5 greatest need.:
    I love BB, and he works in mysterious ways, So I won't be surprised if he picks WR with his first pick. IDK I'm just saying but here are my Top 5 Needs. 1. More Coaching - We are so good at blowing other teams out but we rarely now win games that go down the line. I think more high quality coaching can make a difference here. 2. DE/OLB - Lot of time Stats are misleading and paint an incomplete picture. But sometimes they can crystallize the trust. The AVG QB rating of opposing QBs is above 100, you can't run away from that and until that changes or defense will never be superbowl ready. Plus Ninkovich and Banta Cain are solid backups thats it (That's why BB won the best coach award) 3. RB - Brady's deep ball is not the best in the world so a little help by a bruiser back like Mark Ingram type should open new doors for him. 4. OL - Need to find more depth here. 5 CB - As everyone knows this is becoming a more pass driven league the hottest commodities on defense will soon be ball hawking secondary.
    Posted by akius

So, even though the general consensus is NE's coaching staff is considered elite, you think NE needs "better coaching"?

Maybe Bill O"Brien is suspect, but that is it.

This team is finalizing their rebuild, so pretending this is 2004 probably won't make sense when you consider how many holes they had to fill since the start of 2008.

That time has now come, so I'll answer this based on positions on the field, only:

1. DE/OLB - Clear top priority.
    2. OL - Either Tackle or Guard/Center.  If Light or Mankins leave, there will be an immediate need.
    3. RB - Morris, Taylor and Faulk are all above 33 and either on the verge of retirement or at the end of their rope/injury prone.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

In Response to Re: Top 5 greatest need.:
    But don't you think since the superbowl loss we have "kinda" lost our ability to compete in close games I'm not saying we should go get one particular guy but I think we should promote someone from the staff or try to bring someone back who is already familiar with the situation.  So we can make quicker and more apt adjustments. When I watch certain games I see the tide turning within the first half and it becomes quite evident that we aren't goona win that game. Do you get that feeling sometimes too? Like the jets game (playoff) and the browns game I knew with in the first half that we were going to loose those games. I'm not being negative Its very instinctual I can't put my finger on it but there are games where we look lost. 
    Posted by akius

Unless you have an irrational and/or unrealistic outlook thinking Brady and BB teams are automatically the 2007 Patriots, no.

If you didn't expect bumps during a rebuilding process, I don't know what to tell you.  Maybe you are a young kid and never played competitive sports, don't realize what it means to lose personnel at the rate NE just did, etc.

If anything, I would argue a 14-2 record with this many new faces all at once is nothing short of an incredible accomplishment for such a young group.

They aimed high, got high, and then couldn't finish.  Not necessarily shocking. It's called learning.

This is like the 1982/1983 Edmonton Oilers who were swept by the experienced and aging NY Islanders.

Gretzky walked by their locker room and expected to see people partying and cheering. He saw a locker room of spent and drained players. He said he then realized what it would take win a Stanley Cup.

You have to learn from losing before you can win.

Try to be fair and realistic when assessing what has just happened.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from akius. Show akius's posts

I'm not saying they need better coaching, I think they need more coaching and I don't think BB should do it all by himself.

What my biggest concern is that we are so good at scoring 30+ points almost 90% of the teams it takes the focus away from our weakness.

Since 2007 season I can't remember a legit comeback.

We loose most of the games in which we need to go toe to toe with the opposing teams and to get over that hump in order to make faster clearer decision (ala taking a timeout on 4th and 2nd) we need "more high quality" coaching.

Again I'm not offering clear alternatives just urging the team to become more diverse in how they approach certain games.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from akius. Show akius's posts

In Response to Re: Top 5 greatest need. : Unless you have an irrational and/or unrealistic outlook thinking Brady and BB teams are automatically the 2007 Patriots, no. If you didn't expect bumps during a rebuilding process, I don't know what to tell you.  Maybe you are a young kid and never played competitive sports, don't realize what it means to lose personnel at the rate NE just did, etc. If anything, I would argue a 14-2 record with this many new faces all at once is nothing short of an incredible accomplishment for such a young group. They aimed high, got high, and then couldn't finish.  Not necessarily shocking. It's called learning. This is like the 1982/1983 Edmonton Oilers who were swept by the experienced and aging NY Islanders. Gretzky walked by their locker room and expected to see people partying and cheering. He saw a locker room of spent and drained players. He said he then realized what it would take win a Stanley Cup. You have to learn from losing before you can win. Try to be fair and realistic when assessing what has just happened.

Posted by BBReigns

I get what you are saying but I think there is a trend which shouldn't be ignored. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Actually, no NE doesn't lose most of the games they go toe to toe with at all.

They have the lost their last two playoff games basically because they can mask their flaws with the best coach and QB in the NFL, and they were too young and didn't execute well enough to beat an opponent.

But, a 53-16 overall record from 2007 through 2011, or more specifically 35-13 since the rebuilding started in 2008, proves your statement to be incorrect.

And that one season in 2008 was without Brady.

So, this means BB is really that good. 

And it also means that once the dust settles when they finalize the rebuilding in this draft, you are going to see a team that is more like a true 14-2 team from years gone by.

They'll have experience, stability, depth, speed, leadership, athleticism, etc.

And it will pretty much in every phase and at every position, barring catastrophic injury scenarios.

Don't look at the coordinators not having titles either.  That's a media fascination that means nothing more than keeping them low profile and allowing them to learn on the job.

McDaniels wasn't deemed the Off Coordinator in 2005 either.

The trend is nothing more than some fans being impatient, I guess.

Let me ask you this:  How long do yout think it would take a team to rebuild their defense if they lost 3-5 All Pro players, who had been to and won multiple SBs?

1 year?  2?

Look at Pitt last year. Polamalu goes down and they go to hell in a handbasket.  They also didn't have Larry Foote who left a void in the middle of the field for them.

Teams exploited that and Pitt was 8-8.

NE lost Samuel, Harrison, Bruschi, Seymour and Vrabel.   These players had been to 3 and 4 SBs and were arguably the best players at their positions from anywhere from 3-5 seasons prior to 2008.

They also lost Hobbs, Seau, Colvin, etc, as complementary system veterans.

Look at any team's roster, including the supposed best teams like Pitt, Indy, Dallas, SD, Minnesota, etc, and remove 3-5 top notch names off their defense with a complete scale back and rebuild, and they aren't winning 14 games or division titles.

GB is actually a good example that waited in the weeds, stayed patient and built slowly.  Look what happened. They lost the NFC Title game in 2007, scrapped it and started over.

In 2010, they win the SB.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hoier. Show Hoier's posts

I love the patiots, and have followed them for a long time, and also thing this reqime of ownership and coaching has done a magnificant job over the last 10 years.  My obsevations also are similar to what have been stated earlier, and I  am I am not stating the "sky is falling"

- the team/coaching has not been the same since the last superbowl.  Now make adjustments as well i the second half? spygate and it's aftermath? coaching staff changes over the years and BB being head coach as well and some of the assistants?  They have lost too many games in the secon half, often leting the other team come back from big leads.  I am not sure what is different

- I hope BB does trade down in the draft and goes for quality, not quantity.  Take the best guy on the board

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from timesedge. Show timesedge's posts

we came back twice this year - against the Ravens and against the Packers. In addition, we almost came back against the Jets in the playoff loss.

Personally, if 14-2 was the kind of results that BB gets when he's on his own, with this many rookies, then I'd keep the coaching at EXACTLY what it was.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Hoier,

You do realize that some teams who have made the playoffs for years now or might make it in every 3-4 years have never even been to a Super Bowl, correct?

I guess it's easy to complain when you have been spoiled beyond belief for so long.

Agreed on quality in the draft. I think he went quantity in deeper drafts because he got get more quality due to the depth of the draft.

Hence, why it makes sense to trade up in this one if he sees fit.

This is all by design.

I don't think will be complaining this season.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Yes.

I expect far more moving forward knowing they had to reset everything the last 2-3 seasons.

I don't expect playoff losses in the 1st rd moving forward.

As for the "psychological advantage", I think this is tied to minimizing mistakes which comes from coaching.

So, yes, I think that will gain strength with more experienced players.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hayley-1999. Show hayley-1999's posts

I'm not saying they need better coaching, I think they need more coaching and I don't think BB should do it all by himself. What my biggest concern is that we are so good at scoring 30+ points almost 90% of the teams it takes the focus away from our weakness. Since 2007 season I can't remember a legit comeback. We loose most of the games in which we need to go toe to toe with the opposing teams and to get over that hump in order to make faster clearer decision (ala taking a timeout on 4th and 2nd) we need "more high quality" coaching. Again I'm not offering clear alternatives just urging the team to become more diverse in how they approach certain games.
    Posted by akius

You must not have watched this years Ravens game. They just weren't behind in many games this year!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from akius. Show akius's posts

Here is what I think about the coaching staff, I like Bill O Brien and think he takes way more sh*t on this forum then he should. With that said I have recently come to the conclusion that we needs a better OC. Not cause he cant call a game but because I think Brady has been at his best when he worked with a QB coach who challenged him mentally. The coaches that have been able to keep teaching him new things were his best years. What im saying is players need to get better. Thats what Brady is always saying is he can always be better and I dont think Bill O Brien makes him a better player. Brady makes O Brien a better coach. And that has not worked. I would like to see us bring in a veteran QB coach who can teach Brady some news things. And if that happens he will be even better. Which is hard to believe given he just won the MVP. 

Posted by MVPkilla4life

Very Intresting.
    I disagree but still its worth a thought.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from akius. Show akius's posts

In Response to Re: Top 5 greatest need. : You must not have watched this years Ravens game. They just weren't behind in many games this year!

Posted by hayley-1999

I watched every game, Ravens game we won but they started playing prevent D in the second half that won't happen in Super bowl and in big games.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

The "prevent D" comment is not really a prevent. It's more of a coverage approach.

The Jets do the same thing. They don't have a good pass rush, so they hope their front 4 or 5 guys can generate the rush, minus using a blitz scheme.

BB knows he doesn't have a knock out pass rusher and he doesn't want to sacrifice coverage and tackling.

It is what it is, but the hypocrisy is a little old, too.  

All we hear is so amazing other defenses are, and then we see them give up a lot of points, similar to what NE might do at times. 

NE's D is very close to becoming a top flight defense.  The pass rush improved from 2009 to 2010. It's not consistent or high end by any means, but it is improving.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

I think Brady's fine as is. The guy played flawless down the stretch. If there's one gripe I have with Brady it has to do with that dazed look on his face the minute something doesn't go his way whether that's a deflected interception, a blatant interception, a fumble or god forbid some pressure on him. To me, he doesn't seem as ice cool as he once was. Part of that could be him still overcoming the mental hurdles after his foot and knee injuries.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

The ravens game was a big game. The ravens had to play Pitt away because of that, and for the pats it was a huge statement game after just trading Randy Moss. I really don't understand what you are trying to say. Are you saying the ravens didn't want to win and were playing like an exhibition game? I strongly disagree. 

In Response to Re: Top 5 greatest need. : I watched every game, Ravens game we won but they started playing prevent D in the second half that won't happen in Super bowl and in big games.
    Posted by akius

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from akius. Show akius's posts

The ravens game was a big game. The ravens had to play Pitt away because of that, and for the pats it was a huge statement game after just trading Randy Moss. I really don't understand what you are trying to say. Are you saying the ravens didn't want to win and were playing like an exhibition game? I strongly disagree.  In Response to Re: Top 5 greatest need. :
    Posted by Rockdog1293000

I don't wanna get into arguing over a Win, BAT didn't finish the game they started playing the field position where they should have been thinking about scoring a TD to put the game away (They were very conservative in their offensive play calling onces they got the lead).

TB is money at home.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from akius. Show akius's posts

The "prevent D" comment is not really a prevent. It's more of a ..Posted by BBReigns

True
    I asked you on your other posts wha are your thoughts on drafting JJ Watt?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

I think you need to give some credit to the Patriots defense too. In OT they stopped the Ravens several times, even when the ravens were trying to score.

TB was money everwhere but the playoffs.

In terms of needs, you have to list DE way ahead of RB. You don't even need a good RB to win. Name the last great RB to win a superbowl. RB's are a dime a dozen. Look at the guy from GB and BJGE. Drafting a RB in the first round would be pure lunacy.

In Response to Re: Top 5 greatest need. : I don't wanna get into arguing over a Win, BAT didn't finish the game they started playing the field position where they should have been thinking about scoring a TD to put the game away (They were very conservative in their offensive play calling onces they got the lead). TB is money at home.
    Posted by akius

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

I like Watt  at 17.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

Brad seeley! the best special teams coach in the league. and he is not under contract with the browns anymore!

1. DE/OLB 2. OL 3. RB 4. CB 5. WR Coaching? Not sure I follow. Who exactly would like for us to go get? Wouldn't that mean Brady working with a whole new playbook when he's clearly already familiar with one? We already have the best defensive mind in football coaching the defense. Our offensive coaching was good enough to drop 31 points in 8-9 straight games. They could have handled things better in the loss against the Jets but coaching didn't cause the Brady INT or the Crumpler drop. Coaching put Chung in the right position to make a play but it's not responsible for him not making the play. Sanchez threw a perfect ball to Holmes who made a diving catch --- no coaching could have stopped that. I don't see Belichick going out and getting "actual coordinators" because he has talented people there already. They just need some playoff experience, which they've gotten the past two years. There's no point in getting Brady familiar with a whole new system at this point in his career and then taking a step back to get new personnel that fits the new system. We're fine when it comes to coaching.
    Posted by apdynasty23

Sections
Shortcuts