Top Ten Realistic Hopes For Draft Day

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenacioust. Show tenacioust's posts

Top Ten Realistic Hopes For Draft Day

OK I know Jacksquat about College Football so I cant even post a list in my own thread,but I am curious who are your Top 10 picks you would like the Pats to pick. My only caveat is it has to be a realistic pick without trading up. Not that we wont trade up but just as it stands now. If you cant give me ten just as many as you can think of. Also I dont mean just with the first pick but with any pick we have.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Army2LT. Show Army2LT's posts

Re: Top Ten Realistic Hopes For Draft Day

Aldon Smith
    Mark Ingram
    Akeem Ayers

I really don't like this draft class at all.  I didn't like what I saw out of A. Smith, but changed my mind when I heard he was playing hurt all year.  I know there's alot of great DL coming out but I really don't see that as a need.

#33 will be traded, and I bet #17 turns into a #21

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

J.J. Watt - DE (some think we'd have to trade up while I'm in the camp that doesn't think we'd have to)
    Mu Wilkerson - DE
    Ryan Kerrigan - DE/OLB
    Acho/Reed - OLB (Best one available they are to close to call for me)
    Mikel LeShoure - RB
    Shiloh Keo - S
    Will Rackley - G/T
    Marcus Cannon - G/T
    Terrance Toliver - WR
    Alex Linnenkohl - C

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 123meg. Show 123meg's posts

Jordan/ Watt and Pouncey in the first round

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Army2LT. Show Army2LT's posts

There's a slight chance that Watt is available at 17 but I wouldn't bet on it.  I think it will end up being an either/or situation.  Either one between Watt and Smith will be available.  There's more of a chance that niether will be available than both IMO.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Below are 25 players that I think fit NE's organizational philsophy both on and off the field and have a realistic shot of landing in Foxboro. 

While JJ Watt is one of my favorites, it's no guarantee that he'll be available at 17, so I'll provide my "JJ Watt-less top 25".

Players are in no particular order:

Ryan Kerrigan- OLB/DE- Purdue
    Brooks Reed- OLB/DE- Arizona
    Randall Cobb- WR/RB/QB/KR/PR/CB- Kentucky
    Danny Watkins- OG/OT- Baylor
    Owen Marecic- FB/LB- Stanford
    Mark Herzlich- OLB/ILB- BC
    Shane Vereen- RB- Cal
    Cameron Heyward- DL- Ohio State
    Anthony Castonzo- OT- BC
    Jarvis Jenkins- DL- Clemson
    Andy Dalton- QB- TCU
    Kyle Rudolph- TE- ND
    Jacquizz Rodgers- RB/WR- Oregon State
    Muhammad Wilkerson- DL- Temple
    Greg McElroy- QB- Alabama
    Quinton Carter- S- Oklahoma
    Thomas Keiser- OLB/DE- Stanford
    Sione Fua- DL- Stanford
    Tyler Sash- S- Iowa
    Lawrence Guy- DL- Arizona State
    Jeff Maehl- WR- Oregon
    Rodney Hudson- C/OG- FSU
    Jeremy Beal- LB- Oklahoma
    Shiloh Keo- S- Idaho
    Buster Skrine- CB- Chattanooga

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

In Response to Re: Top Ten Realistic Hopes For Draft Day:
    [QUOTE]Below are 25 players that I think fit NE's organizational philsophy both on and off the field and have a realistic shot of landing in Foxboro.  While JJ Watt is one of my favorites, it's no guarantee that he'll be available at 17, so I'll provide my "JJ Watt-less top 25". Players are in no particular order: Ryan Kerrigan- OLB/DE- Purdue Brooks Reed- OLB/DE- Arizona Randall Cobb- WR/RB/QB/KR/PR/CB- Kentucky Danny Watkins- OG/OT- Baylor Owen Marecic- FB/LB- Stanford Mark Herzlich- OLB/ILB- BC Shane Vereen- RB- Cal Cameron Heyward- DL- Ohio State Anthony Castonzo- OT- BC Jarvis Jenkins- DL- Clemson Andy Dalton- QB- TCU Kyle Rudolph- TE- ND Jacquizz Rodgers- RB/WR- Oregon State Muhammad Wilkerson- DL- Temple Greg McElroy- QB- Alabama Quinton Carter- S- Oklahoma Thomas Keiser- OLB/DE- Stanford Sione Fua- DL- Stanford Tyler Sash- S- Iowa Lawrence Guy- DL- Arizona State Jeff Maehl- WR- Oregon Rodney Hudson- C/OG- FSU Jeremy Beal- LB- Oklahoma Shiloh Keo- S- Idaho Buster Skrine- CB- Chattanooga
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]

Hey MB, question for you; Is Von Miller all he cracked up to be? I've read that he's a freakish athlete and supposedly the best pass rusher in the draft. What scares me is that this is exactly what was being said about Vernon Ghoulston a couple of years ago.

Would it be worth our #17 + #33 to move up into the top 5 for him? Could you see BB pulling the trigger on a deal like this?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

You'd pretty much have to take Kerrigan if he is there at 17 and Jordan or Watt are not.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Army2LT. Show Army2LT's posts

I think Kerrigan has put up great numbers but his 4.8/40 will hurt him.  He's just too slow to play OLB in our system.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: Top Ten Realistic Hopes For Draft Day:
    [QUOTE]I think Kerrigan has put up great numbers but his 4.8/40 will hurt him.  He's just too slow to play OLB in our system.
    Posted by TC+Corps[/QUOTE]

TC,
    Kerrigan had a 4.67 40 time at the combine which was a lot faster than most expected from him.

Conversely, Jermaine Cunningham ran a 4.86 last year and they took him 53 overall. 

The more prevelant times IMO are 10 yard split, SS and 3C as these reflect short area speed, burst, quickness and lateral agility all of which are better indicators of how a player might function in space or off the edge vs. 40 time.  Kerrigan wasn't elite in any of these (4.39 SS & 7.18 3C) though his 1.61 10 yard (reflects initial short area burst) was tied for best amongst all DE's tested at the combine and is atleast comparable to a lot of the OLB's tested.  Brooks Reed had the best at 1.54. 

My point is, Kerrigan's times didn't reflect an inability to make the move to OLB.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

The combine reminds me of the driving range. I couldn't his a bucket at a driving range to save my life for some reason. Get me on a course where I concentrate on each shot and its completely different. I think some guys *Cunningham for example* run better around a tackle then a cone or tackling dummy.

Jordan/ Watt and Pouncey in the first round...  I'd be happy with that and LeShoure some time later on.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

^^Great analogy.

That's exactly how I am with golf.  I can focus well every 5 minutes on each shot, but when I hit 40 in a row, maybe 50% of those are good.

It's like the SATs, too.  At 7 AM on a Saturday at age 16, I am probably not going to be as sharp as I normally would be throughout the rest of the day, later as an adult.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

The combine to me, is just another tool in the scouting process.  You obviously have to watch tape and see how a kid performs on the football field, but the combine, outside of providing scouts with clear size, strength and speed measurables also provides a medium to meet with kids face to face.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

The combine to me, is just another tool in the scouting process.  You obviously have to watch tape and see how a kid performs on the football field, but the combine, outside of providing scouts with clear size, strength and speed measurables also provides a medium to meet with kids face to face.

Oh I agree with you 100%. the measurables and some unknowns like the meetings, the quizzes about situational football. That said I think that a guy like Al davis that lets 40 yard speed sway his picks can be a mistake. Ben Watson I was really high on and hoped he worked out but we all know what happened there. The guy could sure workout and smoked the wonderlic test. Mankins for example, his knock was duribility. So Belichick and his team of evaluators IMHO do like you say, use the combine as one of their tools.