Toradol, Percocet, Renal Failure, HBP and Chronic....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

Toradol, Percocet, Renal Failure, HBP and Chronic....

The NFL locker room has been a drug supermarket since the 60's. It has been common knowledge that trainers and team physicians would give you anything to block pain to get you out there to play. Of course, everyone looked the other way. No one talked about the long or short term consequences of these drugs. Not the team, physicians, media, fans or players. Everyone colluded to protect the product, protect their income, protect their profits, protect their job and protect their Sunday afternoons. 

We have entered a new age. Former players are now taking legal action against the NFL (see the most recent lawsuit by hundreds of former players who have been debilitated mentally and physically). This is bound to change the landscape of the NFL from several perspectives...

What will the new NFL look like inside the locker room? How will it effect the game and players?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

Re: Toradol, Percocet, Renal Failure, HBP and Chronic....

It will take time but this change is inevitable. Such issues as addiction as a result of teams plying their players with drugs and aids to keep them on the field will raise public hackles if it's shown some of these guys had no idea such long term use of Doctor prescribed and powerful opiates and other pain killers would result in addiction. The teams are fully responsible , and that case can and will be made. (IE, " if you want to play and make a paycheck, take the shot or pill or else!") Ultimately, even though some guys might have been aware of the danger, the team sanction of this process to stay on the field means the employer is responsible.

This will be a mess. In the CTE cases, most guys started to have knowledge of the danger but the NFL hid the danger when it knew it before the players knew it.....here, the Drs. on these teams had to know what  the long term health ramifications were and what the resulting destruction of these players health taking such pain killers in the long run would be.

Another PR nightmare for the NFL.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

Certainly, the teams and the doctors should be held accountable. Of course, the doctors had to know and they looked the other way along with everyone else. No one wanted to know the long term consequences. Everyone was in for the short term glory, their career and the profits.

I am sure the NFL will never let this suit go to trial. There is way too much for them to loose in terms of public image and advertising dollars and little way to win. About 11 years ago the ESPN series "Playmakers" was shut down by the NFL for exposing similar stuff in a fictional weekly soap opera about the NFL. The reality of this situation for guys stuck with heart, liver problems, opiate addiction, chronic headaches and sleeplessness is too horrible to face.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

In response to NYC's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The NFL locker room has been a drug supermarket since the 60's. It has been common knowledge that trainers and team physicians would give you anything to block pain to get you out there to play. Of course, everyone looked the other way. No one talked about the long or short term consequences of these drugs. Not the team, physicians, media, fans or players. Everyone colluded to protect the product, protect their income, protect their profits, protect their job and protect their Sunday afternoons. 

We have entered a new age. Former players are now taking legal action against the NFL (see the most recent lawsuit by hundreds of former players who have been debilitated mentally and physically). This is bound to change the landscape of the NFL from several perspectives...

What will the new NFL look like inside the locker room? How will it effect the game and players?

[/QUOTE]

UNderpants  would tell the board that only Nick Kazcur ever used or distributed painkillers in all of NFL history.

LMAO

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

"No one talked about the long or short term consequences of these drugs. " How about all the kids and young adults today who are being pumped up with mind altering medications for ADD, Depression, Anxiety or any other 'diagnosed' issue. Is what this group of players is going through more tragic? Millions of kids are being drugged up so their parents and teachers can have it a little easier. How about discussing the long or short term consequences of those drugs on the kids lives or society as a whole? Much bigger issue than a small group of adults (who had a choice to take the pills and which they likely enjoyed at the time) and are now bitshing about the side effects years later.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

The players aren't victims. They knew what they were doing. They could have said no and/or quit. But they chose to take whatever they took. I don't feel sorry for any of them. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The players aren't victims. They knew what they were doing. They could have said no and/or quit. But they chose to take whatever they took. I don't feel sorry for any of them. 

[/QUOTE]

Not all of them did. This goes back to guys who played in the 70's and 80's and the world was a different place then. Heck , many people didn't think coke was an addictive drug then and we see how wrong they were now!  Some of these guys had broken bones and were told there would be no long term effects to opiate use even though the docs knew it would cause long term liver and kidney failure, or that playing on fractures could lead to permanent and crippling injuries. We're not talking about today, we're talking bout 40 years ago.

In terms of kids taking all kinds of ADD drugs, etc. , now, heck yeah, it's insane. Taking anything long term or in crazy doses will hurt you. Something should be done about that as well. The plain fact of the matter is that a majority of people will accept as gospel truth whatever a doctor or sanctioned medical authority tells them, or assumes that if a doc tells me it's ok, it must be ok.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

Could they have quit? Could they have said no? Yes, but the economic and social pressure to play no matter what, was very strong. And as Mel says: they were  not told the long term effects; in fact, they were hidden from them. In the end, everyone is accountable for their part. But above all, employers are responsible, not only to notify employees of dangerous situations, but also to protect them from them.

A bigger question is where do we go from here? Do we ban all pain killers like Toradol? Will half the locker room be dysfunctional with no pain killers? What will the game look like if strict medical guidelines regarding medications is enforced? 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

I was around in the 70s and most definitely the 80s. People most definitely knew there were side effects to taking medication and roids and the rest of it. It wasn't the Dark Ages. Everybody knew painkillers were addictive. Those guys wanted to play, sure there was pressure from coaches and teammates, but should you be able to sue over peer pressure? I took stuff in high school that I knew wasn't good for me, should I sue the school? You don't need a peer reviewed medical study to know it's not healthy to take opiates or inject steroids. 

Typical everybody's a victim nonsense. Nobody is responsible for their own decisions, someone else made them do it. It's lawyers and money. These guys are broke and broken down and they got nothing to lose, and there are plenty of lawyers skilled at the victimhood game.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

I was around in the 70s and most definitely the 80s. People most definitely knew there were side effects to taking medication and roids and the rest of it. It wasn't the Dark Ages. Everybody knew painkillers were addictive. Those guys wanted to play, sure there was pressure from coaches and teammates, but should you be able to sue over peer pressure? I took stuff in high school that I knew wasn't good for me, should I sue the school? You don't need a peer reviewed medical study to know it's not healthy to take opiates or inject steroids. 

Typical everybody's a victim nonsense. Nobody is responsible for their own decisions, someone else made them do it. It's lawyers and money. These guys are broke and broken down and they got nothing to lose, and there are plenty of lawyers skilled at the victimhood game.

MUZ

What you seem to be ignoring is that Doctors have a moral and ethical responsibility toward their patients. They take the Hypocratic Oath to serve the best needs of the patient. They violate that oath if they issue dangerous drugs that have long term side effects and don't inform the patients of the risks, just so the player can go perform on Sunday afternoon. 

The reality is this: everyone is accountable, everyone was caught in a vortex, everyone knew in some way it wasn't right. Everyone (teams, owners, management, players, doctors, trainers, the media, the fans and the league itself) had their own motivation whether it was money, status, fame, power or glory. Even us fans are accountable because we praise all the guys who "play through pain" when in reality it is the drugs that allow them to play. We support the abusive system and allow it to continue via our praise of it. 

For an abusive system to stop someone has to stand up to it. Someone has to be the first to stand up and say it is wrong. 

Sections
Shortcuts