Total overhaul of overtime rules needed.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

Total overhaul of overtime rules needed.

I was listening to the local radio station here in Milwaukee, WTMJ, about the possible changes to the NFL's rules for overtime in the playoffs.

I think a total change for overtime rules during the season and playoffs is needed, and the rules should be the same for both. The rule of tossing a coin, with the first team to score winning is archaic at best. My suggestion would be to hold the coin toss, and the winner getting the choice of recieving or kick off. Of course the team winning the toss will want to recieve.

What I would like to see change is if the team that wins the coin toss recieves and either gets a field goal or TD, they should then kickoff to the other team giving a chance to tie or win. Both teams should have an equal chance to win in OT. If it is still tied after the initial exchanges, the first team to score should be the winner.

Hetchinspete.   

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SICOFITALL. Show SICOFITALL's posts

Re: Total overhaul of overtime rules needed.

The NFL overtime rules are and have been terrible for years. I really dont know any fan who likes them and Id go as far as calliing them a joke. Blood , sweat and tears for 60 and then its who ever gets in field goal range first.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Why? Because the Minnesota Vikings choked away a shot at the SB? What the league doesn't need is any type of silly, prolonged OT format...which could result in an increase in injuries. 

Sudden death is just fine. If a team can't win a game in regulation, they have no right to whine over the loss of a coin flip. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cyberknot. Show Cyberknot's posts

In Response to Re: Total overhaul of overtime rules needed.:

Why? Because the Minnesota Vikings choked away a shot at the SB? What the league doesn't need is any type of silly, prolonged OT format...which could result in an increase in injuries.       Sudden death is just fine. If a team can't win a game in regulation, they have no right to whine over the loss of a coin flip. 
    Posted by TexasPat3

In that case, why play at all? Since neither team deserves to win, just give the game to whoever wins the toss. I mean, why risk getting someone injured in a football game?

I like the idea where you don't win instantly on a FG only on a TD. If you settle for a FG, the other team gets a shot.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsFanGermany. Show PatsFanGermany's posts

College overtime has the best rules.  Why not copy them once again?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

When your team wins a coin toss and wins on a FG you love it otherwise it suks.

I just don't like sudden death at all.
    I'd like to see a full 5th period. I know that can cause problems.
    Or
    You get the ball on your 35/40 and have 1 challenge, 2 time outs and 10 minutes to score.
    Then the opposing team has the same chance.
    Once each.
    Puts pressure on the first team not to just "settle" for a FG.
    If the first team does score a FG it puts pressure on the second team to at least get a FG and a TD for the win.
    If the first team does not score there can be no complaning about losing because of the coin toss.
    The only disadvantage I see is if your defense was on the field last at the end of the game and you lose the coin toss and have to send them out again.
    Close games at the end of the year between a team in our out of the playoffs with a team on the bubble will mean a lot more  IMHO.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

I think if they are going to change it for the Playoffs they should also change it for the regular season. They are on the right track but I think that the rule should also apply to touchdowns. They should give each teams offense 1 possesion and whatever happens after that is history. Nobody should be able to complain after that. Plus I like overtime games.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

I would be in favor of eliminating overtime altogether in the regular season and allowing games to end in a tie. They've already got the two-point conversion, play to win or don't play to win. Simple.

In the playoffs, play an entire extra period or at least a specified amount of time, after which you can play sudden death if necessary. The networks won't do it during the season because it screws up the TV schedule, and I understand that. But in the post season there's a bulit-in cushion between the games that would allow for this.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

If anyone cares to read the story behind this crappola, it's all based on the new fact that 34% of teams winning the toss won via FG. BUT, the main reason is that the kickoff has been moved back from the 35 to the 30 yard line, which helps promote runbacks. Why not just move the kickoff BACK to the 35 yard line, regular season and playoffs, and get back to the approx 50/50 split on OT wins? Let's make theoffenses drive the ball and the defenses to stop 'em.

Stop thsi "fairness" nonsense. If you want "fairness", go watch woman's figure skating. Man up and play the hand that you're dealt!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

I would be in favor of eliminating overtime altogether in the regular season and allowing games to end in a tie. They've already got the two-point conversion, play to win or don't play to win. Simple. In the playoffs, play an entire extra period or at least a specified amount of time, after which you can play sudden death if necessary. The networks won't do it during the season because it screws up the TV schedule, and I understand that. But in the post season there's a bulit-in cushion between the games that would allow for this.
    Posted by p-mike

Sorry, Mike, but this is the NFL, NOT World Cup soccer, whereonly 1 person knows how much time is left. Either you have an extra full period or sudden death. You can't have both. If you did then the only "fair" thing to do is allow the team that last lost an OT game to their opponent to "win" this one. You lose one, you win one. It's not place for hot chocolate and cookies for everyone who played.

I'll bite for the extra period, like the NBA does. But, once done, that's it. I think TV would love this,a s they get a kick at "bonus coverage" of teh OT game, out of it's market.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

When your team wins a coin toss and wins on a FG you love it otherwise it suks. I just don't like sudden death at all. I'd like to see a full 5th period. I know that can cause problems. Or You get the ball on your 35/40 and have 1 challenge, 2 time outs and 10 minutes to score. Then the opposing team has the same chance. Once each. Puts pressure on the first team not to just "settle" for a FG. If the first team does score a FG it puts pressure on the second team to at least get a FG and a TD for the win. If the first team does not score there can be no complaning about losing because of the coin toss. The only disadvantage I see is if your defense was on the field last at the end of the game and you lose the coin toss and have to send them out again. Close games at the end of the year between a team in our out of the playoffs with a team on the bubble will mean a lot more  IMHO.
    Posted by JimfromFlorida

So, you're in favor of penalizing the team with a great kicker but no offense, that wins games with a good defense. Why stop there? Let's force the great QB's and offenses to lose 15 yards from the spot of the run back spot before they take a snap? How about giving the runback team an extra 15 yards if they are playing a great defense? After all, it's not "fair" that they should lose if they can't score against the other guys.

What I'm trying to say is FUGHEDABOUD "fairness".  Just play the game. You have 60 minutes to play and win. If you need more time, then too bad for you. In a playoff game, 1st score wins.... PERIOD! Whether it's a FG, safety, or TD.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

I think it should be sudden death, BUT u can only score TDs, no FGs to win it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME. Show NEGAME's posts

The game should end in regulation time. Maybe then more teams would have the guts to go for it on "4th and 2" I hate missing a kickoff for OT (unless it's the Pats)

Maybe they'll start playing the best of a series in the playoffs pretty soon to make it fair for everyone!!  Hey NFL stop with the changes!!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

In Response to Re: Total overhaul of overtime rules needed. : So, you're in favor of penalizing the team with a great kicker but no offense, that wins games with a good defense. Why stop there? Let's force the great QB's and offenses to lose 15 yards from the spot of the run back spot before they take a snap? How about giving the runback team an extra 15 yards if they are playing a great defense? After all, it's not "fair" that they should lose if they can't score against the other guys. What I'm trying to say is FUGHEDABOUD "fairness".  Just play the game. You have 60 minutes to play and win. If you need more time, then too bad for you. In a playoff game, 1st score wins.... PERIOD! Whether it's a FG, safety, or TD.
    Posted by AZPAT

So you are in favor of penalizing the better offensive team? See your thinking goes both ways.
    Ok have them kickoff and then start the scenario I have put forth.
    Kicking game is still in play. Defense is still in play and offense is still in play. 

Sections
Shortcuts