Trade a #1 pick for a Proven Starter?!?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Caliberink. Show Caliberink's posts

Trade a #1 pick for a Proven Starter?!?

The Pats have 2 Number 1 picks next year, including a top 10 (hopeful). The Defense is horrible and they need a proven starter/veteran to work with this group. Is there any chance the Pats could possibly trade one of the top picks for a proven starter/veteran? Everyone in NE has seen what the #1 and #2's have done here lately, nothing. I would trade a #1 for a guy who has already proven himself. I'm not sure who they would target, but I think there would be many teams interested. Like to hear your comments on the subject.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriots1a2. Show patriots1a2's posts

Re: Trade a #1 pick for a Proven Starter?!?

In Response to Trade a #1 pick for a Proven Starter?!?:
    [QUOTE]The Pats have 2 Number 1 picks next year, including a top 10 (hopeful). The Defense is horrible and they need a proven starter/veteran to work with this group. Is there any chance the Pats could possibly trade one of the top picks for a proven starter/veteran? Everyone in NE has seen what the #1 and #2's have done here lately, nothing. I would trade a #1 for a guy who has already proven himself. I'm not sure who they would target, but I think there would be many teams interested. Like to hear your comments on the subject.
    Posted by Caliberink[/QUOTE]

No way! What position would you want cb,olb? The pats should use all of the picks in the first 3 rounds. They may even move back a few spots(raiders pic) to get a 3rd 2 rnd pic...you never know.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I would do it but only for a few select players, probably none of which whose team's currently possess them would give up. Demarcus Ware of course comes to mind and I would gladly trade a 1st round pick for him. Don't think Dallas would bite.

Other than a select few, I really think our best option at this point is to let it play out this year, see how these young guys develop. There are some defensive studs coming out next year that will solidify our DL, OLB positions for years to come. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

[QUOTE]The Pats have 2 Number 1 picks next year, including a top 10 (hopeful). The Defense is horrible and they need a proven starter/veteran to work with this group. Is there any chance the Pats could possibly trade one of the top picks for a proven starter/veteran? Everyone in NE has seen what the #1 and #2's have done here lately, nothing. I would trade a #1 for a guy who has already proven himself. I'm not sure who they would target, but I think there would be many teams interested. Like to hear your comments on the subject.

They can, but BB won't do it. And maybe you should wait and see if the Pats defense is 'horrible'. They are defense filled with players with less than 5 years of experience. They'll get better, I'll rather BB draft a player he thinks would fit his system. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

What difference maker is on the block?  Show me the team that wants to trade a young pass rushing DE or OLB and I'd hope the Pats would give it a shot.  Those guys don't get traded, they get drafted.     

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JMichalski12. Show JMichalski12's posts

I agree.....We havent really hit on any second rounders thus far,  and Belichick always trades down for more picks and every for the most part he misses. Enough with the kids and get some established players in here

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostondynNASTY. Show bostondynNASTY's posts

like stated above there is no one on the block worth a 1st rounder.  granted things can still change before the deadline, BUT we all seem to forget we had an opportunity to get an IMPACT/FRANCHISE player this off season and we couldn't pull it off then. remember the name JULIUS PEPPERS? awful mistake

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In Response to Re: Trade a #1 pick for a Proven Starter?!?:
    [QUOTE]I agree.....We havent really hit on any second rounders thus far,  and Belichick always trades down for more picks and every for the most part he misses. Enough with the kids and get some established players in here
    Posted by JMichalski12[/QUOTE]

Hmm

Chung, Spikes and Vollmer look solid to me

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

I LOVE it when people say this defense "needs someone to work with them" as if you could actually tell after three weeks.

And no, keep the picks. It's much, much cheaper talent and you know what you're getting in terms of a system fit.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ShiningWizard. Show ShiningWizard's posts

I don't get the obsession with stockpiling draft picks.  It's not like the league hands out an award or trophy for this sort of thing.  If anything, they should be targeting impact players and moving up to get them if need be. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Now that the stupid "value" argument is about to become moot with the new CBA, I expect the Pats to stay put, especially in the high first round (Raiders' pick), and draft the best players available at those slots.   

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Trade a #1 pick for a Proven Starter?!? : Hmm Chung, Spikes and Vollmer look solid to me
    Posted by rameakap[/QUOTE]

I'd add in Brace, Cunningham and Gronkowski too.  Maybe even Butler when all is said and done. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Corey Dillion
    Randy Moss
    Wes Welker

Bill has a pretty good history at getting quality vets who the so called experts have labeled busts/tweeners.

If we can get a vet who could contribute half of what these guys have then I say YES all the way to trading one of many picks for some veteran influence.

How much younger can we get. The only problem is the financial side of it, if there is indeed a rookie wage scale then perhaps we should use our 2 first rounders.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Trade a #1 pick for a Proven Starter?!? : Hmm Chung, Spikes and Vollmer look solid to me
    Posted by rameakap[/QUOTE]

Along with Gronk and Brace looks like he's progressing.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pancakespwn. Show Pancakespwn's posts

Number 1s and 2 have lately done nothing?

Spikes
    Chung
    Brace
    Devin
    Brandon
    Jerod
    Vollmmer

All starters, Cunningham got the nod last week who started over Tully, and Darius was just starting as well. Also find me a team not named the Oakland Raiders that will trade a veteran for a single round 1 pick? We would have to offer up a multiple deal package to a player who they might not even want.

This isnt madden bro we cant just call up the eagles and send 1 first rounder and some oreos for Andy to get DeSean Jackson its not the way this works. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RahZid. Show RahZid's posts

[QUOTE]Number 1s and 2 have lately done nothing? Spikes Chung Brace Devin Brandon Jerod Vollmmer All starters, Cunningham got the nod last week who started over Tully, and Darius was just starting as well. Also find me a team not named the Oakland Raiders that will trade a veteran for a single round 1 pick? We would have to offer up a multiple deal package to a player who they might not even want. This isnt madden bro we cant just call up the eagles and send 1 first rounder and some oreos for Andy to get DeSean Jackson its not the way this works. 
    Posted by Pancakespwn[/QUOTE]

How about the Pats last season (Seymore).

For the record, I'm in favor of holding onto our picks, especially with the possibility of a rookie wage scale being in place.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from irishfanatic. Show irishfanatic's posts

[QUOTE]Now that the stupid "value" argument is about to become moot with the new CBA, I expect the Pats to stay put, especially in the high first round (Raiders' pick), and draft the best players available at those slots.   
    Posted by CablesWyndBairn[/QUOTE]

I agree, in fact the CBA etc is having a huge impact  on the formulation of teams via draft as against trading for some time now relative to forward planning.    
     Fans still want it all "now" as against bulding a team that will endure over time. Regardless of our understandable immediate wants and desires, BB is planning much further 4ward. Be patient and believe. Compare this Franchise to many, many others relative to  achievements over the past decade and accept that we Patriot fans have nothing to feel but optimism and expectation in the short term
    with regard to the future.

AGUS BEIDH LA EILE AGAINN FREISIN.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

This is just my opinion but I believe Belichick does not initiate most draft day trades. He has open phone lines to every other team and when they call he is just more open to listen to trade offers than most teams. Example, Carolina offering their 2011 2nd rd pick for the Pats 2010 3rd rd pick. That was a no-brainer.

Say what you will, and time will tell, but his "stockpiling draft picks" has brought in many promising young players to this team.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

I love the stockpiling of the picks.  So what if we move back.  We get some hits and some misses.  No one hits them all.  We do better than most.  Yeah 2006-2008 sucked.  But the last 2 drafts look pretty solid to outstanding to me.  For all those that argue drafting an "impact" guy, who is that guy?  Tell us before the draft, not after.  Tons of people wanted that worthless guy on the Jets, Gholston, glad we didnt grab that "impact" guy.  The draft is somewhat of a crapshoot.  We hit better than most and due to moving back, have more ammo to take more shots. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Caliberink. Show Caliberink's posts

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Caliberink. Show Caliberink's posts

I understand the impact of the CBA and under any other circumstances I would never suggest getting rid of a #1 pick.  My only concern right now is that there is no starting defenseman with any legitimate veteran experience (besides Wilfork). They need someone who can spark the defense, make plays, and offer Veteran experience. All these #1 and #2 defensive picks on the field are not making drastic progress. Sure they were drafted high, but no one has really shown significant improvement (Chung looks good and hopeful).  But with an extremely young defense as it is, do we really need another rookie CB or OLB? I think we have a great group and they need development, but right now they need someone who is going to make impact plays and give the CB's less time in coverage. If there were any teams willing, I would trade a 1st round pick for an impact DE or OLB. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

Problem is no one is going to give u an impact OLB or DE.  The reason they would be traded are usually due to being problem children/head cases or contract issues.  Neither are out there right now.  Plus those with a contract issue cant be really decided on till the new CBA. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Modacai, hit the nail cleanly on the head (which it deserved). You are not going to get a defensive impact player at this early stage. No one is likely to trade potential for a known quantity I (draft pick for proven player). I get that people are angry about the defense not being playoff worthy (in contrast to O), but it's silly to have a do-over draft that nets us Mathews or conduct silly trade speculation that nets us INSERT IMPACT DEFENSIVE PLAYER HERE. Neither is likely to happen. What is likely to happen is the defense will gradually get better. Some of you may lose hair, teeth and the will to live, but BB's young players will get better over time. Expecting instant gratification......also unrealistic......Anyone that thought Mc Courty would be Champ Bailey (circa 2002) are/were seriously deluded. He'll be better his 2nd and 3rd year like most Pats DBs.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Asher77. Show Asher77's posts

Another vote here for stockpiling. Most teams build with a mix of high 1's and then 2-7 fill in, there added FA may be higher picks but the ones who have already been castoff after there first failed attempt. We are doing something different that has rarley been done to this degree. Give up the high choice inorder to develop a whole team whose talent level stemed from the 2 or 3rd round, and these guys developing into there primes together. I am excited to see it happen, are high talent youth will be amazing on paper after this next draft. Lets take a couple years and coach them up.

Sections
Shortcuts