Trade a #1 pick for a Proven Starter?!?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from isurfvb35. Show isurfvb35's posts

Re: Trade a #1 pick for a Proven Starter?!?

keep the picks, bill is building for the future, yeah maybe now they do look unbearable sometimes on defense but in 2-3 years when these young players develop your looking at maybe another dynasty in new england.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriots44. Show patriots44's posts

In Response to Re: Trade a #1 pick for a Proven Starter?!?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Trade a #1 pick for a Proven Starter?!? : Hmm Chung, Spikes and Vollmer look solid to me
    Posted by rameakap[/QUOTE]Also add Mayo, Mankins and Wilfork round 1.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]I don't get the obsession with stockpiling draft picks.  It's not like the league hands out an award or trophy for this sort of thing.  If anything, they should be targeting impact players and moving up to get them if need be. 
    Posted by ShiningWizard[/QUOTE]

bingo!

felt that way for years

But then I never knew how close we were to the cap each year... i just felt keeping guys like Law or Samuel or getting a guy like London fletcher was always better than drafting for such a position in rd 4....

keep or go get the established guy for at least 1-2 of your holes each year, then move up to get elite 1st-3rd rounders. don't count on picks in outside the 2nd rd to fill in for your hole

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southnpatsfan. Show southnpatsfan's posts

In Response to Trade a #1 pick for a Proven Starter?!?:
    [QUOTE]The Pats have 2 Number 1 picks next year, including a top 10 (hopeful). The Defense is horrible and they need a proven starter/veteran to work with this group. Is there any chance the Pats could possibly trade one of the top picks for a proven starter/veteran? Everyone in NE has seen what the #1 and #2's have done here lately, nothing. I would trade a #1 for a guy who has already proven himself. I'm not sure who they would target, but I think there would be many teams interested. Like to hear your comments on the subject.
    Posted by Caliberink[/QUOTE]

I disagree 100% that the defense is horrible, young, hungry and talented. The only thing they lack is experience, so givem a break and leave control work to  Bill.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pancakespwn. Show Pancakespwn's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Trade a #1 pick for a Proven Starter?!? : How about the Pats last season (Seymore). For the record, I'm in favor of holding onto our picks, especially with the possibility of a rookie wage scale being in place.
    Posted by RahZid[/QUOTE]

Like I said the Raiders do not count. They make ridiculous trades calls all the time. They called us after the draft and wanted Seabastian and I think it was Edelman for some scrub player.

Raiders are a terrible team to say hey look they did it so why cant it happen? There are studs coming out each year and we possibly have a top 10 pick in our laps at worst a top 15 pick.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

I love the people that state the 2006-2008 Pats drafts stunk without stating any teams that did much better picking where the Pats pick. I read somewhere that the Colts got rid of the last remaining pick of one of those drafts. The talent coming into the league those years was horrible. If you didn't pick in the top half of the first round, you were pretty much out of luck. I dare anyone to name 32 impact players in the league from each of those drafts that are on teams that  average 11 wins a season over that time period. Oh but that is too difficult. Much easier to say "everyone on the team stinks. We should get someone that has a big name but wouldn't fit in the Pats system. And they call themselves fans

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kebbe. Show kebbe's posts

Mankins is still in a snit over"whatever"(the whatever being an $ii milion dollar a year guard,at least in his and his agent's mind)and he is just hanging out on the ranch.Some say no one trades a proven outstanding NFL player for just one first round pick so why hasn't Mankins already been moved?the answer,of course,is that no one to date will give up a first and then pay him $10-11 million a year to play guard.So he sits out until the tenth game,then reports needing at least two or three games to get in game shape and get in the swing of things.By doing so he gets credit for this year and becomes an unrestricted free agent during the off-season.At which point the Pats franchise him and deal him.It just doesn't look like his agent will ask for the Pats to slightly sweeten the deal they offerred him originally(so he can save face,even if he has to say I'm sorry for biting the hand that feeds him publically)and everybody justs kisses and makes up.So why not cut out the scenerio that just about everyone understands to be the case and deal the man now because I and most others see no way N.E. just lets him walk for free after the season.there certainly are a few teams that would like to have him on their interior line(e.g.-G.B.,Giants,Redskins,maybe the Steelers,etc.).