Trade Brady for a top 3 draft pick?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from oddlyenough. Show oddlyenough's posts

Trade Brady for a top 3 draft pick?

Would one of the bottom 3 teams make the deal? --I think certainly so, if they have the cap space.  They see what Denver's done.

Some positives: able to draft one of top college qb's, cap relief, Brady's value will never be higher.

Some negatives: loss of proven HOF qb, player loyalty would be harder to come by, blow to the Patriot "brand", fewer pictures of Gisele in local media.

Some unquantifiables: how many excellent years does Brady have left, would we hit on the draft choice, how good is Mallet, how would the locker room be affected?

I think it would make for a worse team next near but, if we hit on the draft (a big but) a better team 2 or 3 years out and going forward.  And, most importantly, it would settle this forum's dominant issue: is the Patriot's success due more to BB or TB? - making it well worth it.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

Re: Trade Brady for a top 3 draft pick?

No way. Draft another QB and have him learn from Brady. Tom still has a few good years left.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

It's virtually impossible financially, but if it were possible, it would have to be to a team that thinks it's close and he'd be the last piece they need to put them over the top. 

Not sure about the top three draft teams, but I know one is Houston and another one is the Rams (maybe Jags?). I could see those teams being interested enough to consider it, but most likely they'd opt for the 22 year old they can bring in a whole lot cheaper.

Oh, by the way, the dead money hit to the Pats salary cap would be $33 million.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from provpats. Show provpats's posts

Nice sarcasm

this forum does play a critical role in all of the Pats decision

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

The avatar is proof what this OP is all about..    bull s*it!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Al Davis is dead, no one would make such a silly trade besides him. Brady is nearly done, why trade a pick that could turn into a franchise QB for the next 10 years for a QB that's already had his elite 10 years?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

Like the Texans for instance? Top pick for Brady?

What percentage of top picked QB's turn out to be as good as Brady will be over next 3 years?

What percentage turn out to be average or busts?

Any sure thing QB's out there now?

All I have is questions I guess that make me think this would be a big risk.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from newenglanderinexile. Show newenglanderinexile's posts

In response to HeygangLH's comment:

He's too old and can't win in the playoffs and costs too much $$-What a stupid thread!

The quarterback with the most playoff wins in NFL history can't win in the playoffs.  This is a Jets' fan's version of reality. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

trade the best?.......not happening

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from newenglanderinexile. Show newenglanderinexile's posts

How do you guarantee that a top-three pick would be a great quarterback?  Robert Griffin III was the second pick of the 2012 draft.  The first year was very promising, but now there are a lot of doubts about him.  Not to mention Ryan Leaf (#2 1998), David Carr (#1 2002) etc.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Why don't we trade Brady, Mayo, Vince, McCourty, Mankins, Solder, Talib and all of our best players, that way we'll have all #1 draft picks and we'll stink... that will satisfy all the "Belichick can't GM" crowd... because winning and making the playoffs every year isn't enough, we need high profile draft picks every year so we can be like all of the worst teams.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

I heard Bob Kraft used some influence to help Brady get the land for his new mansion in Massachusetts.  I don't think Brady is going anywhere.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

In response to newenglanderinexile's comment:

How do you guarantee that a top-three pick would be a great quarterback?  Robert Griffin III was the second pick of the 2012 draft.  The first year was very promising, but now there are a lot of doubts about him.  Not to mention Ryan Leaf (#2 1998), David Carr (#1 2002) etc.

Mark San Cheese # 5 if I remember correctly.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Yes Tommy has the most playoffs wins in NFL history. the working word here is 'history' as in the past. Brady's best days are in his rearview mirror.

When are you people going to realize this?

Again I say-What a stupid thread!

Brady will suck Kraft and the salary cap dry and won't retire until his contact is up-That boy just loves his $

-Quick question-Do old QB's get better or do they just get older?

Your team drafted Mark Sanchez and Geno Smith and you thought they were good... you are an authority on nothing... except maybe talking a lot and losing.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to oddlyenough's comment:

Would one of the bottom 3 teams make the deal? --I think certainly so, if they have the cap space.  They see what Denver's done.

Some positives: able to draft one of top college qb's, cap relief, Brady's value will never be higher.

Some negatives: loss of proven HOF qb, player loyalty would be harder to come by, blow to the Patriot "brand", fewer pictures of Gisele in local media.

Some unquantifiables: how many excellent years does Brady have left, would we hit on the draft choice, how good is Mallet, how would the locker room be affected?

I think it would make for a worse team next near but, if we hit on the draft (a big but) a better team 2 or 3 years out and going forward.  And, most importantly, it would settle this forum's dominant issue: is the Patriot's success due more to BB or TB? - making it well worth it.

Just one high draft choice for the best there is, the best there was, and he best there ever will be?? Hell no. I'm not a Teddy Bridgewater fan...so I don't see any QB out there worth taking with a top three pick. There are no Andrew Lucks or Peyton Mannings available.

Billy O'Brien in Houston would be thrilled to deal the Texans' #1 overall pick this year straight up for Tom Terrific. But, it wouldn't be nearly enough. 

If this deal were to be seriously contemplated, the Texans would have to trade their top overall pick and second rounder this year, their #1 in 2015, and their #1 in 2016, at a minimum.

Adding Brady to the current Houston team would turn the Texans from chumps to favorites to dethrone the Colts in the AFC South.    

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from newenglanderinexile. Show newenglanderinexile's posts

Yes Tommy has the most playoffs wins in NFL history. the working word here is 'history' as in the past. Brady's best days are in his rearview mirror.

When are you people going to realize this?

Again I say-What a stupid thread!

Brady will suck Kraft and the salary cap dry and won't retire until his contact is up-That boy just loves his $

-Quick question-Do old QB's get better or do they just get older?

Almost all New England fans are happy to have Tom Brady as the Patriots' quarterback.  (By the way, he's won three playoff games since the last Jets' playoff win.)  I'm sure most Jets' fans are equally happy with Mark Sanchez or Geno Smith.  So what's to argue about? 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tomhab. Show Tomhab's posts

In response to oddlyenough's comment:

The only real positive would be if you were to go to his new team and dog him there and leave us alone...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

I am not willing to let this team stink so you can settle a forum beef. 

Brady's import to Belichick's success is only debated in this forum, it's not even debated by the Boston talk radio blowhards. We debate it in here due to the presence of a couple of sports wingnuts whose bizarre positions are taken too seriously. 

Belichick is supposedly this genius GM. He got Brady in the sixth round. He doesn't need a top 3 pick to get another Brady. Let's see him draft and develop a QB using the picks we already have. If he's so great, he should be able to do that. 

This way the debate gets settled without the foolishness you are suggesting

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I think the 46 million in dead money is prohibitive.

Update: Actually the contract may be structured in a way that produces less dead money in a trade than a cut, but still it's a dumb idea unless you have an equal replacement.)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Today, I would consider a trade. The price will be...

One of the trade partner's starting DLmen (BB to choose) + 2015 first round pick + 2016 first round pick + 2017 second round pick

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tomhab. Show Tomhab's posts

He's too old and can't win in the playoffs and costs too much $$-What a stupid thread!

The Jest would take him just to look Legit for the next three years...Rexy would be drooling all over himself!

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts