Trade Brandon Merriweather for Taylor Mays of 49ers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from carbonflow. Show carbonflow's posts

Trade Brandon Merriweather for Taylor Mays of 49ers

Mays is a major prospect IMO.

Big, fast, athletic.  Next to Chung, what a backfield.  Especially considering what we are going up in the future, i.e., Brandon Marshall, Braylon Edwards, Dustin Keller, etc

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from carbonflow. Show carbonflow's posts

Niners safety Lewis misses practice for personal reasons

This was the article that sparked my idea of the Merriweather for Taylor Mays

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81afca84/article/niners-safety-lewis-misses-practice-for-personal-reasons?module=HP_headlines

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Re: Trade Brandon Merriweather for Taylor Mays of 49ers

Meriweather has been on BB's sh*t list since TC. If BB didn't want him he would have done away with him a while ago. Meriweather is a part of what BB wants in his defense moving forward. 

Relax, I know Maroney is gone and you need a new guy to attack on this board, but just because Meriweather wears a 30 and has dreads doesn't mean he's Maroney. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brendon-Patrick. Show Brendon-Patrick's posts

That article just tells me that the 49ers, if anything, are going to need Taylor Mays in the foreseeable future more than ever before. Why now would they trade their guy who they just recently drafted?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Re: Niners safety Lewis misses practice for personal reasons

In Response to Niners safety Lewis misses practice for personal reasons:
    [QUOTE]This was the article that sparked my idea of the Merriweather for Taylor Mays http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81afca84/article/niners-safety-lewis-misses-practice-for-personal-reasons?module=HP_headlines
    Posted by carbonflow[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure how you got trading Taylor Mays from reading this article. If anything, Mays will end up with more playing time or starting for them. If anything, Michael Lewis is the guy the 49'ers would trade or release. I don't see BB trading Meriweather for Michael Lewis. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I don't think you'll see Merriweather here after his contract runs out. And surprisingly I don't think you'd get much for him in a trade despite the fact that he made a pro bowl (and people love to bring that up). Unfortunately there is tape on him and the tape shows him being small, missing tackles, blowing assignments and generally just playing like a decent third/fourth rounder.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from GadisRKO. Show GadisRKO's posts

Did you watch Mays in college? He goes for the big hit everytime, often missing and he lacks coverage skills. His incredible atheleticism got him through college, it wont be much in the NFL.

Merriweather can atleast cover somewhat, Mays has speed and hit power, very similar to Laron Landry, except he lacks experience.
    BB would be a fool to add even more inexperience to the backfield, we would be screwed against any pass offense.

A probowler for an inexperienced rookie is a joke.

Believe it or not, I loved Mays in college, but we don't need him, atleast not for Merriweather. Good hitter, yes. Great tackler? not really. Cover skills? forget about it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from btownteamsrking. Show btownteamsrking's posts

no way.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

Why do people always want to trade someone just because he has a couple down games? Merriweather is young, and he'll improve. Even if he doesn't, BB tends to trade players for picks, not other players. And I doubt the 49ers would deal Mays anyhow.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Overall Merriweather looks a lot better this year than last year.  He's had one bad play but that's how vets get good - they learn from their mistakes.  BB is doing some sort of discipline with Merriweather, I think he'll get the message and be on the field for every snap by the end of the season.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from carbonflow. Show carbonflow's posts

Rookie Mays shines at strong safety

I started this post earlier in week about Taylor Mays.  He had a monster game yesterday in his first start for the 49ers. I hoped all along that the Pats would have taken him the draft.

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20101003/SPORTS/101009827/1010/SPORTS?Title=Niners-Notes-Rookie-Mays-shines-at-strong-safety

With Brandon Marshall, Dustin Keller, Braylon Edwards in the division, and other athletic, big, and physical recievers in the league, he would have been a great match next to Pat Chung.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from carbonflow. Show carbonflow's posts

We will see how this plays out....

There have been many threads here about how the Patriots made a big mistake in not taking Clay Matthews.... I am curious if the same thread will start floating around in regards to Mays if and when he emerges into an elite safety.

Given that the NFL is becomming more and more pass-oriented, and given Marshall, Edwards, Keller presence in the division, I think Mays would have been very valuable to the team.  When McCourty was drafted this year, many fans were disappointed by the pick.  I was thrilled and was crossing my fingers that they would have made a move to get Mays to solidfy the secondary.

Having said all of this, 2010 so far has turned out to be a stellar draft for the Pats.  Gronknowski (42nd) was taken ahead of Mays(49th) The only time I have questioned BB since following the Pats in 2007 was in the SB against the Giants where Pats failed to make adjustments against the pass rush.  With both Hernandez and Gronkowski now on the team, the Pats are unlikely to suffer what the Bears did last night against the Giants.