Trade Deadline is tuesday oct 20

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

Trade Deadline is tuesday oct 20

the trade deadline is next week.will the pats do anything by the trade deadline?I think we will see a lot of moves this year.how about Aaron kampman?there has been talks of the packers moving him,or jarvis moss of the bronco,s?

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/4655/will-afc-east-sell-or-buy-at-trade-deadline

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

Re: trade deadline

If the Pats do anything at all it will probably be a minor deal.  You just don't see too many big trades in the NFL.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Irkillendem. Show Irkillendem's posts

Lol, joking? Why would the Pack trade us Kampman?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MaritimePatsFan. Show MaritimePatsFan's posts

I like the idea of moving a guy like James Sanders. There are two safeties ahead of him on the depth chart currently. We also have Pat Chung sitting in the wings as well. He just signed a cost friendly deal so he will bring more value in terms of a trade as well. McDaniels I am sure would love to pair him up with a Brian Dawkins in Denver. Don't know what you would look for in a trade. Don't really know who out there is availible. I think the only positions that could come in and make an immediate impact are RB, OL and DL. It is not really worth moving him for a player who does not make an impact this year. If one of these players is not availible just go for picks.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to trade deadline:
    [QUOTE]the trade deadline is next week.will the pats do anything by the trade deadline?I think we will see a lot of moves this year.how about Aaron kampman? http://msn.foxsports.com/rumors/nfl
    Posted by mosseffect43[/QUOTE]

I believe this is his first year in a 3-4 (run by Dom Capers), I wonder how it's effected his ability to get to the QB as he only has 1 sack through 4 games this year.  Another issue would be what to give up in compensation as he'll be an unrestricted free agent following the season.  I'd assume if they had interest that they'd like to lock him up before the trade is finalized (he's 29). 

He does have the size they look for in an OLB though.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I am pretty sure he is 30. And at 286 he is way larger than what anyone looks for in an OLB.

I am not sure a one year, 30 year old, rental is worth much more than the 3rd round comp that they would get otherwise.

But if NE were serious about digging in with 4-3, it wouldn't be a bad short term addition.

I just don't see buying high as part of their M.O., and I don't think they have the flexibility to make this happen from a cap perspective.

I think trading for a 3rd wideout might be a VERY real thing. But again, I wouldn't expect a splash.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

The trade deadline isn't a chance for BB to trade for his dream player.  Rather, it's a chance for one of the other 31 general managers to get desperate and for BB to then make a killer trade.  I don't know if BB has another perennially malcontent superstar like Seymour in the wings.  Actually, a huge number of players will have their contracts expire at the end of this season, and trading almost any of them makes sense -- for an enormous price of course -- and preferably to an NFC team.  But trading an always-negotiating malcontent sends an extra message to the rest of the team.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

In Response to Re: trade deadline:
    [QUOTE]I like the idea of moving a guy like James Sanders. There are two safeties ahead of him on the depth chart currently. We also have Pat Chung sitting in the wings as well. He just signed a cost friendly deal so he will bring more value in terms of a trade as well. McDaniels I am sure would love to pair him up with a Brian Dawkins in Denver. Don't know what you would look for in a trade. Don't really know who out there is availible. I think the only positions that could come in and make an immediate impact are RB, OL and DL. It is not really worth moving him for a player who does not make an impact this year. If one of these players is not availible just go for picks.
    Posted by MaritimePatsFan[/QUOTE]

My take: If Chung was ready, he would have gotten opportunities instead of McGowan.

Also: Sanders plays a very different position from McGowan.  Sanders plays the deep zone along with Merriweather.  McGowan plays in the box and has typically been assigned to shut down pass catching tight ends.

I don't think it would be a good idea to trade Sanders, and I think he has more value in his knowledge and execution of our defense than anything else he could net in return.  I don't think other teams would really want him

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

[QUOTE]the trade deadline is next week.will the pats do anything by the trade deadline?I think we will see a lot of moves this year.how about Aaron kampman? http://msn.foxsports.com/rumors/nfl

What about Derrick Johnson?  That article said he wasn't starting.  I wonder if he could be had for decent value.  I also wonder if it's possible to learn a Belichick defense midseason.

As for Kampman, I think he'd fill the same role as Burgess/Banta-Cain.  I think Banta-Cain is doing a decent job already and I think that Z is right in saying that Green Bay would be looking for more than the 3rd round compensatory pick they'd get otherwise, or they'll just keep him and get what they can before letting him go.  I don't think Kampman would even be worth our 3rd round pick.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tagandtrade. Show tagandtrade's posts

the reason McGowean is getting the nod over Chung is experience and size....

the pactriots have been giving everyone that nickle look but if you watch closely McGowan is playing weakside linebacker

He is essentially Guyton replacement and guyton has moved into Mayo Strong side backer role

every one keeps talking about 3:4-4:3 BS the nickle they are playing right now is essentially a 3:4 with a ss/ILB hybrid playing weakside 9 yards off the ball and an OLB with his hand down

Look at the tape both Burgess and Banta Cain had there hand down in a 3 tech then they got up and covered the flat

McGowan has been playing ILB

He did not satrt over Sander he started with him

Chung cannot do what McGowan does McGowan is a special FS he is cut from the same mold as Rodney MATTER of FACT i think he is BETTER than Rodney

I said it before how they were able to get this guy baffles me

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I don't think the Pats are going to make any headlines with trades in the next week. Kampman, Merriman, etc...I don't think will play in NE. I think we have the right talent on the roster to make it to the big dance. They just have to gel a bit more, and stay healthy. It would be nice to pick up a real #3 WR, but I can't imagine anyone at the WR position coming in at this point and learning the Pats complicated offense. Perhaps a RB to replace Morris, but i think BB will pass and work BJGE into the lineup. Between the 4 RB's we have, we should continue to be productive. 

Looking on both sides of the ball, I can't imagine trading away anyone else. True we have 4+ safeties, but Sanders is still valuable since he knows the system. A bit disappointed we have not seen more of Chung and Brace in the lineup. I would have thought we would see more of them since they were in our top 3 picks in the draft, all 2nd rounders. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]The trade deadline isn't a chance for BB to trade for his dream player.  Rather, it's a chance for one of the other 31 general managers to get desperate and for BB to then make a killer trade.  I don't know if BB has another perennially malcontent superstar like Seymour in the wings.  Actually, a huge number of players will have their contracts expire at the end of this season, and trading almost any of them makes sense -- for an enormous price of course -- and preferably to an NFC team.  But trading an always-negotiating malcontent sends an extra message to the rest of the team.
    Posted by Paul_K[/QUOTE]

I agree with you about Belichick having an opportunity to take advantage of desperate GM's but I dont think we will risk losing any depth right now.

In regards to Richard Seymour the man did what he had to do to get his $. You and I would do the same thing. Considering he was the one constant on a dominant defensive line that was largely responsible for our great defenses of 01-04 I think we should respect what he did for us and wish him well in Oak. After all he does have 3 rings as a Patriot!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]the reason McGowean is getting the nod over Chung is experience and size.... the pactriots have been giving everyone that nickle look but if you watch closely McGowan is playing weakside linebacker He is essentially Guyton replacement and guyton has moved into Mayo Strong side backer role every one keeps talking about 3:4-4:3 BS the nickle they are playing right now is essentially a 3:4 with a ss/ILB hybrid playing weakside 9 yards off the ball and an OLB with his hand down Look at the tape both Burgess and Banta Cain had there hand down in a 3 tech then they got up and covered the flat McGowan has been playing ILB He did not satrt over Sander he started with him Chung cannot do what McGowan does McGowan is a special FS he is cut from the same mold as Rodney MATTER of FACT i think he is BETTER than Rodney I said it before how they were able to get this guy baffles me
    Posted by tagandtrade[/QUOTE]

You were painting an accurate depiction of our defense and I was on board with everything you were saying and then this happened..."MATTER of FACT i think he is BETTER than Rodney"  Good one!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from steve1581. Show steve1581's posts

I was thinking about Kampman as well. He could be a perfect fit. 

I suppose Id feel better about a move like that if we hadn't let a lot of the oline go to KC because THAT is what GB needs

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from steve1581. Show steve1581's posts

[QUOTE]I like the idea of moving a guy like James Sanders. There are two safeties ahead of him on the depth chart currently. We also have Pat Chung sitting in the wings as well. He just signed a cost friendly deal so he will bring more value in terms of a trade as well. McDaniels I am sure would love to pair him up with a Brian Dawkins in Denver. Don't know what you would look for in a trade. Don't really know who out there is availible. I think the only positions that could come in and make an immediate impact are RB, OL and DL. It is not really worth moving him for a player who does not make an impact this year. If one of these players is not availible just go for picks.

you really dont understand how valuable sanders is to this defense and it is him and merriweather at the top of the depth chart even though mcgowan has been seeing plenty of time 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from DStroh1. Show DStroh1's posts

As much as the fans would love to see a big splash trade take place before the trading deadline (WR, RB, Left Tackle), history shows BB probably won't do it.  And I agree with the other posts that trading Sanders for future picks (which is what BB would probably get in return) makes no sense.  This team has had more than its share of injuries in the secondary.  Why would we want to trade away our insurance policy?  This isn't a reconstruction year, if they want to make a run at the SB it's going to take all of our parts to get it done.  Look for some of the rookies to start getting plugged into the games as they pick up the playbook and earn BB's trust (Brace, Chung, Vollmer).

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MaritimePatsFan. Show MaritimePatsFan's posts

To the two or three posters that downed my idea of moving Sanders, I like the guy ok. I think he is a solid FS in the NFL. I do not think he is great. I want playmakers on the back end of this defense. James Sanders is not. He is valuable to this defense because he knows the system yes, but it looks like Merriweather is learning awfully fast. He has made huge strides between first season and second. Looks like he made strides between last season and this season so far. I have confidence in Chung who I said is sitting in the wings, waiting for an oppurtunity. McGowan, I agree has kind of been that LB/S hybrid on nickel sub packages covering the tight end, (On a side note, McGowan has a long way to go to get on the level of possible HOF career that Rodney has had), but he has also gotten the nod over Sanders quite a bit when they are in there base front with only two safeties on the field. And quite frankly he looks better than Sanders when on the field. You cannot really disagree with that comment can you? I mean after saying that you think he is better than Rodney you couldn't possibly go back and say Sanders is better than McGowan, right?

Anyway, I don't really think they should move Sanders because he does add value and a bit of leadership to the back end of our Defense. I was just commenting on possible players who's role has diminished from what we thought it might be at the start of the season and still might demand something of value in a trade. That is kind of what the thread was supposed to be about, wasn't it?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MaritimePatsFan. Show MaritimePatsFan's posts

Also, to Nick when saying Sanders has too much value over McGowan because all McGowan does is move up and cover tight ends. Isn't that when our defense has been at its best. When Rodney was there covering tight ends leaving a "centerfielder" type safety on the back end? Wouldn't we be able to somewhat mimic that better with McGowan and Merriweather than with Sanders and Merriweather?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MaritimePatsFan. Show MaritimePatsFan's posts

[QUOTE]the reason McGowean is getting the nod over Chung is experience and size.... the pactriots have been giving everyone that nickle look but if you watch closely McGowan is playing weakside linebacker He is essentially Guyton replacement and guyton has moved into Mayo Strong side backer role every one keeps talking about 3:4-4:3 BS the nickle they are playing right now is essentially a 3:4 with a ss/ILB hybrid playing weakside 9 yards off the ball and an OLB with his hand down Look at the tape both Burgess and Banta Cain had there hand down in a 3 tech then they got up and covered the flat McGowan has been playing ILB He did not satrt over Sander he started with him Chung cannot do what McGowan does McGowan is a special FS he is cut from the same mold as Rodney MATTER of FACT i think he is BETTER than Rodney I said it before how they were able to get this guy baffles me
    Posted by tagandtrade[/QUOTE]

They are not playing essentially a 3-4 defense with McGowan playing LB. Adalius Thomas and Guyton have been on the field in almost every package. Even though Burgess and Bata-Cain are covering flats on maybe the one play you referenced that is still a Nickel Package. It is there "Light Nickel" package designed to have more speed on the field to get after the passer. They also throw in a "Heavy Nickel" from time to time. This has Vince and Mike Wright playing NT. Warren and Green playing DE. Thomas and Guyton at LB and McGowan the safety in the box defending the run and/or covering tight ends.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to trade deadline : I believe this is his first year in a 3-4 (run by Dom Capers), I wonder how it's effected his ability to get to the QB as he only has 1 sack through 4 games this year.  Another issue would be what to give up in compensation as he'll be an unrestricted free agent following the season.  I'd assume if they had interest that they'd like to lock him up before the trade is finalized (he's 29).  He does have the size they look for in an OLB though.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE] I agree about the 3-4,but with the many looks the pats are useing,he could do well,but then there would be the compensation.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

bob kraft has said several times over the past few months that the patriots will not be involved in big money players or negotiations until the new collective bargaining agreement is set. as he stated it, its like trying to play a game without knowing the rules. sounds like good business sense to me. so i highly doubt that BB will make a move for a money player. much more likely that we will see more low level players shuttled in and out of the practice squad. the third wideout will end up being nunn or tate if they decide to pull the plug on galloway all together.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from adam4522. Show adam4522's posts

Trade Galloway?  Maybe pick up a better RB to replace Taylor?  How about Maroney and Galloway for a decent RB?  I would do it in a second...then activate Nunn to be the 4th WR and on special teams.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

[QUOTE]Also, to Nick when saying Sanders has too much value over McGowan because all McGowan does is move up and cover tight ends. Isn't that when our defense has been at its best. When Rodney was there covering tight ends leaving a "centerfielder" type safety on the back end? Wouldn't we be able to somewhat mimic that better with McGowan and Merriweather than with Sanders and Merriweather?

So what you're saying is that we should only play Cover 1 and Cover 3?  What if there's no real playmaking threat at the tight end position?  Can McGowan play the deep zone?  Will he be able to communicate to his teammates and pick up the right assignments?  What if the Patriots want to blitz Merriweather?  That would leave McGowan in center field by himself.  What if they want to run a cover 3 with two safeties over the top and one corner?  Or cover 4?  Or Robber?  Can McGowan do all of these things?  I haven't seen anything to prove that he can, or else he would.

Sanders plays a pivotal role in coordinating communication between players in the secondary.  He also does his job, which is typically to stay over the top and pick up the deepest route in his zone.  One of the things I've noticed about him is that he's also a superb open field tackler.  McGowan has strictly played underneath as a LB/OLB hybrid, and that is NOT all that a safety does in a successful defense.  Until I see that McGowan can play all facets of the safety position, then having a safety who can ONLY play in the box is prohibitive.

In my one opportunity to see McGowan in zone, he gave up a touchdown to the Jets.

There's a reason Sanders is back there.

Also, if you think so poorly of Sanders, what do you think other teams would think?  How much value does a player have when traded well after training camp?  Do you think a safety can learn the entire defensive playbook on such short notice?  And if he learns too slowly, how many touchdowns will he give up in the meantime?

IF Sanders is traded, I suspect it wouldn't be until after the season.

And WHERE ARE YOU GETTING ALL OF THIS CONFIDENCE IN CHUNG???

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

And I'm seriously confused by the scheme discussion here, to the point where I can't even make sense of it.

They've only played the 3-4 for three plays this year by Mike Reiss' count.  Vince Wilfork and Mike Wright have played defensive tackle (DT), which is significantly different from nose tackle (NT).  4-3 defenses are typically one-gap defenses, although the Patriots do play two-gap 4-3 (I believe they try to do so on clear running downs against obvious running personnel).  DT is typically playing the 3-technique (over the outside shoulder of guard), sometimes with the DT on the weakside shifting to the 1-tech (inside shoulder of guard).  Guyton plays MIDDLE linebacker, not strongside linebacker.  Mayo played MIDDLE linebacker, not strong side linebacker.  Mayo was the MIKE - center of the defensive formation.  Thomas plays the strong side (SAM - side where the tight end lines up or wide side of the field when the ball is on a hash mark) because he's strong and sets the edge without giving up ground.

Their nickel package typically includes McGowan because he can also step up and support the run (LB/SS hybrid), but cover tight ends.  From what I've seen, they go to dime sometimes from there by bringing in Wilhite as a third corner.  They'll rush Thomas and have Guyton stay at MLB.  They'll bring in a pass-rushing d-line and play a one-gap penetration scheme on passing downs.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: trade deadline : My take: If Chung was ready, he would have gotten opportunities instead of McGowan. Also: Sanders plays a very different position from McGowan.  Sanders plays the deep zone along with Merriweather.  McGowan plays in the box and has typically been assigned to shut down pass catching tight ends. I don't think it would be a good idea to trade Sanders, and I think he has more value in his knowledge and execution of our defense than anything else he could net in return.  I don't think other teams would really want him
    Posted by NickC1188[/QUOTE]

It makes sense to add chunginto the mix gradually. As we've seen in the past, we never seem to have enough DBs anyhow.