Trade for a CB

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from randym81. Show randym81's posts

Re: Trade for a CB

The Pats did have the problem of trying to sign an All-Pro lineman, and they have made their decision to not overpay him. Saying that the Jets backup NT had the same numbers as Wilfork is completley idiotic. A NT's impact can't be measured by numbers, and anyone with eyes can see that Wilfork is one of the top NT's in the game.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from stegall85. Show stegall85's posts

In Response to Re: Trade for a CB:
    [QUOTE]Fans over react and call for trades to be made, the Pats however do not panic at all which is why they get paid the big bucks while we talk shop. Did the Pats go right out and trade for or sign a big time QB or back up QB when Brady went down? Even though all the fans wanted Cassel dead and off the team? No they didnt they went with what they knew, they went with what they had and made everyone look stupid for doubting them. They might sign someone but i doubt they make a trade. You guys need to smoke a J and relax lol its a huge blow to the team but they wont do what you want because they are smarter then all of us.
    Posted by MVPkilla4life[/QUOTE]

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from stegall85. Show stegall85's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Trade for a CB :
    Posted by stegall85[/QUOTE]
    Good advice. Two more reasons not to panic: 1) the pats have very good talent and depth at safety. That talent at the back end should help the corners.

2) the critical 6 divisional games don't involve facing an elite QB. The only great QB in the AFC East plays for NE. The pats should have enough firepower to win some of those tough out of division games.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

The number one problem for the Pats is not at CB, even without Bodden. It's their very mediocre, paper thin front 7...particularly at DE and OLB.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"2) the critical 6 divisional games don't involve facing an elite QB. The only great QB in the AFC East plays for NE."

I'm not sure if I agree with this analysis. I believe the Pats are going to have more trouble with teams that have elite defenses rather than elite QBs - though facing elite QBs won't be much fun either. What we saw last year, and I expect we'll see again, is that it won't take an elite QB to score on the Pats. Therefore our problems will be with teams that can hold us to 14-17 points. The Jets and Miami may both fit that description. I expect the division games to be tough - cept the Bills. :) 

Having said that I do agree that safety depth is one of our strengths. If some of the young guys come through we'll be ok.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman2. Show Patsman2's posts

[QUOTE]Fans over react and call for trades to be made, the Pats however do not panic at all which is why they get paid the big bucks while we talk shop. Did the Pats go right out and trade for or sign a big time QB or back up QB when Brady went down? Even though all the fans wanted Cassel dead and off the team? No they didnt they went with what they knew, they went with what they had and made everyone look stupid for doubting them. They might sign someone but i doubt they make a trade. You guys need to smoke a J and relax lol its a huge blow to the team but they wont do what you want because they are smarter then all of us.
    Posted by MVPkilla4life[/QUOTE]

And of course they didnt even make the play-offs that year.  And dont go with the 11-5 record because that was a cupcake schedule and they lost every big game and were what 1-7 on the road.

So are you saying no play-offs this year?  No cupcake schedule this year --- Vikings, GB, Jets (twice), Cincy, Indy, Pitts., SD, Miami (in Miami always gives us trouble)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from stegall85. Show stegall85's posts

[QUOTE]" 2) the critical 6 divisional games don't involve facing an elite QB. The only great QB in the AFC East plays for NE." I'm not sure if I agree with this analysis. I believe the Pats are going to have more trouble with teams that have elite defenses rather than elite QBs - though facing elite QBs won't be much fun either. What we saw last year, and I expect we'll see again, is that it won't take an elite QB to score on the Pats. Therefore our problems will be with teams that can hold us to 14-17 points. The Jets and Miami may both fit that description. I expect the division games to be tough - cept the Bills. :)  Having said that I do agree that safety depth is one of our strengths. If some of the young guys come through we'll be ok.
    Posted by BostonTrollSpanker[/QUOTE]
    I see your point, I guess I was being too specific to the issue of trading for a CB. I think both the Jets and Dolphins will be competitive but I don't think either can match the Pats overall talent.

The games where the Pats will face both very good D's and high powered offenses are out of division games. I think NE will have as much talent on offense as anyone and holding them to 14-17 points will be no easy task.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

The Bodden news just made me wonder about this position in NE.  The fact that they spent their #1 (overall) to get another one in the mix lets us know that they are trying; moving in teh right direction.  However, losing two pieces (Bodden, Warren) of the D this early is hard to swallow.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ender587. Show Ender587's posts

"The Patriots wish they had the Jets problem of having to sign to 2 AllPro lineman, a great young LB, and one of the best corners in the league.  It’s tough when you draft well."

Yea... and the Jets wish they didnt have to run the ball 80% of the time due to their poor Quarterback play.  The Jets wish they had the problem of re signing one of the best quarterbacks in the league.  No.. instead they dumped their money and their draft pick into Mark Sanchez who throws more INT's than TD's and spend the rest of their money on overpaid corners... to do what...?  Make the playoffs for a couple years in a wild card spot behind the pats?  Good plan.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenace4life. Show tenace4life's posts

Problem is not a CB . . . the problem remains a pass rush.   I'd rather see them trade Mankins and a draft pic or two for someone who can put some pressure on the QB so that the CBs only have to cover their man for 3-4 seconds instead of what seems like minutes at times!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Is it possible that Merriweather can play the nickel sometimes and that some other combination of safties (likely Chung and Sanders) will be on the field in nickel and dime situations? 

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

[QUOTE]All of our DB's are better than Josh Wilson?He would not help the team? That's right. You know alot about DB's. You thought Ellis Hobbs was a good player.
    Posted by tompenny[/QUOTE]

I never thought Ellis Hobbs was a bad player either.Sure not a superstar but neither are ANY of the guys we currently have now at CB. There are only a few of those at each position in the league.

Most people consider Philly to be a good org and their coach to be one of the good ones. They wanted Ellis. They must of thought something of him. We had a log jam at the time of the trade, at the position, and you can't trade your worst player at the position cause no one else wants him either.

I don't follow anyone other than the Pats so I have no idea where he stands with Philly now but the ESPN depth chart shows him as one of their top CB's. If that were true then he still seems to be playing decent.The way so many around here talk about him its like he doesn't even deserve to be in the league or something.

Not to mention it took us drafting two of the countries better KO return men in college football in back to back years to finally forget how good Ellis was as a KO return man.

The bottom line is the guy was a 3rd round draft pick, I believe, and started for us practically from day one and did the job. Various veterans and the like were always brought in to compete with him yearly and many would start saying bye bye Ellis bla bla and yet he still always started. Add to that he was tough and durable playing through injuries. What did he miss one game in his career with the Patriots?

What more did you expect and want from the guy?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brad34. Show Brad34's posts

Pats could get away with playing young virtually untried corners if they had a decent pass rush. They also have questions on the D line as well. It is not looking good already. Time will tell and BB may have something up his sleeve

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Asher77. Show Asher77's posts

Let me throw out a positive spin just for laughs.

If teams gameplan against us and see the youngest starting CB group in the leauge then BB will be able to also gameplan knowing that they intend to pass against us and we can limit are focus on the run. If then the DB's turn out to step up, we could mitagate that damage and turn this into a positive.

If they don't then watch out.