Trade For a WR

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriotzking18. Show patriotzking18's posts

Trade For a WR

Michael Lombardi reported this morning after his sit down with Bill Belichick that Pats are looking to trade for a receiver not deep threat but a good route runner. So I was thinking of some good route running receivers that we might can get:

Lee Evans
    Deion Branch
    Steve Smith
    Antwan Randle El
    Kevin Walter
    Chris Chambers
    Jabar Gaffeny

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pancakespwn. Show Pancakespwn's posts

Re: Trade For a WR

First I just wanna break down the WRs list you broke down

Evans-Why would the Bills trade him? 
    Deion-Past his prime wouldnt help us
    Steve Smith-How would he help us stretch the field? The hell also past his prime.
    Randel El-Lol your not being serious right?
    Walter-Wouldnt give up more than a 6th for him and his bloated contract
    Gaffney-Dear god no this guy couldnt catch a pass to save his life here.

We have Tate, Price, Edelman, Welker 4 good WRs Welker is a great WR, two of them can be very big game changers, Price has to work on his route running going forward but for all we no he has improved in that area of his game. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

We don't need another receiver,we have one on the PS Darnell Jenkins who is as fast as anyone we could get off the scrap heap and he already knows the play book. Plus with Moss out of the way Price will get his chance to shine along with Tate. Only time will tell how much these two guys can be counted upon and just so they don't become complacent the Patriots still have 8 draft choices in the top 128 picks for the 2011 draft.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostondynNASTY. Show bostondynNASTY's posts

Next Monday morning we will see what this board is saying about not needing another WR.  i thnk people who say that now will change their opinion after one week of play. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

I dont think we need a WR.  I do think it will take a few games to get back into the west coast O we will need to run.  I am not saying we shouldnt draft a WR next draft (hopefully in the 2nd or 3rd rd, not 1st).  But we all have to be realistic and expect an adjustment time to the new style of O.  I firmly believe in the long term it is much better for this team.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In Response to Re: Trade For a WR:
    [QUOTE]I dont think we need a WR.  I do think it will take a few games to get back into the west coast O we will need to run.  I am not saying we shouldnt draft a WR next draft (hopefully in the 2nd or 3rd rd, not 1st).  But we all have to be realistic and expect an adjustment time to the new style of O.  I firmly believe in the long term it is much better for this team.
    Posted by MordecaiBloodmoon[/QUOTE]

I agree with Mord.  We won't acquire a WR during the season.  We heard that Price was awarded for his excellent work on the scout team for Miami, then a day later Moss was traded.  BB must think Price is ready to be activated.  Besides, Hernandez could be considered a big WR and they could use him more down the field.  He doesn't have great speed but is big and stronger than most WRs and should win a lot of one-on-one contests.  I also look for Gronk to become more involved in the passing game like Coates used to be.  The man is a beast and has soft hands.  He would be a nightmare trying to stop over the middle against a LB or S.

There is a silver lining in trading Moss.  Teams (esp BAL), won't know how to game plan for us.  After a bye week, our offense will likely take a whole new look.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

[QUOTE]I dont think we need a WR.  I do think it will take a few games to get back into the west coast O we will need to run.  I am not saying we shouldnt draft a WR next draft (hopefully in the 2nd or 3rd rd, not 1st).  But we all have to be realistic and expect an adjustment time to the new style of O.  I firmly believe in the long term it is much better for this team.
    Posted by MordecaiBloodmoon[/QUOTE]I don't care if they use a first round pick on a WR if they feel the need and if AJ Green is available when their on the clock then they would be complete idiots if they didn't select him.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from munichpatsfan. Show munichpatsfan's posts

what about mike sims-walker? he isn´t too happy in jacksonville right now. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

There is a presumption the Pats do not have a deep threat with Moss gone and no other "big name" receiver to take his place.  Given how Moss occupied that spot, with nary an opportunity for another player to step up, how does anyone know if any current roster player can fill the spot?  Why does everyone try to make the case the Pats need a "name" to fill the role?  It has been in the history of the team to have a group of no names step up to the pleasure of all fans.  Having a "big name" does not necessarily equate to a success!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from innervision. Show innervision's posts

I like the idea of seeing Hernandez split wide against smurf conrers.  We know that he is going to do a better job than Randy Moss blocking down field on flanker screens and like minded plays. I get the feeling Bill Belichick has been dreaming of a tight end dominated offense for years.

If opposing defences want to play Brandon Tate one on one they are doing the Pats a favor.

Belichick may be looking for another WR because he knows football is often a game of attrition so having depth at any position is the safe play.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bspikes55. Show Bspikes55's posts

Lets not trade for a WR we have some good young players Tate,eddleman,hernandez,gronk ,taylor price
    Lets see if these guys are real before we trade for anyone.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

For this season alone the Patriots will have 8 days to consumate any trades, with that said we will all know the fate of the WR corps by next Tuesday,unles they move Jenkins up from the PS in which case that can be done when ever necessary.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

Why would the Bills trade Evans? 

They are so many pieces away, why not trade him for picks?  They have been stockpiling picks and recently dealt Lynch.  Not to mention Ralph is a cheap SOB.

That said someone reported a Tweet from an NFL player (not specified) that Branch to the Pats has been completed...It's pretty weak, but we'll see.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from wonderdrums. Show wonderdrums's posts

[QUOTE]Why would the Bills trade Evans?   They are so many pieces away, why not trade him for picks?  They have been stockpiling picks and recently dealt Lynch.  Not to mention Ralph is a cheap SOB. That said someone reported a Tweet from an NFL player (not specified) that Branch to the Pats has been completed...It's pretty weak, but we'll see.
    Posted by croc[/QUOTE]

Oh God, I hope they didnt trade for Branch. Ive got no issue with the guy I just dont think he's of any use to the Pats. They already have enough undersized WR's. The thing that made Branch so successful here was his ability to create seperation.  Ive watched him play alot over the last two years(wife is a 'hawks fan). Injuries have crippled him horribly since he was in NE last. Now that his knees are gone he's lost that half step that gave him that space. 

It stinks Randy is gone, but we can take solace in that NE won 3 SB's without Randy or a household name receiver. If (and its a big IF) the Pats can run the ball effectively, they are going to cause alot of problems for everybody. Id really like them to get Mankins on the field. He's an absolute beast in the run game. Id love to see him line up next to Volmer and start making pancakes! Go Pats!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Welker, Edelman - two great slot/possession type receivers
    Tate, Price - two tall, fast and physical receivers 6'+, ~200 lb, sub 4.40 speed
    Slater - does a little of everything but nothing at a high level
    Hernandez - A WR in a TE body
    Crumpler, Gronkowski - two big physical TEs who can catch and block

Considering we have one of the best QBs of all time, this should be enough weapons.  Most teams carry 5 WRs, some carry 6.  We have 5 right now on our 53 man team.  If we trade for a veteran WR, Price will remain inactive for games and we won't know what he can do.  I truly think we have enough talent barring injury to get through the season.

There has been some talk about AJ Green and Julio Jones both 6-4 types.  Both are juniors and Green has some off-the-field issues.  There is no assurance they will declare especially given the uncertain labor situation.  Take these guys away and you're left with 2nd round options, to name a few:

Austin Pettis - Boise, 6-3, 201, 4.59
    Niles Paul - Nebraska, 6-1, 220, 4.50
    Ronald Johnson - USC, 5-11, 190, 4.46
    Jerrel Jernigan - Troy, 5-9, 185, 4.34

So basically if no juniors come out there are no 1st round worthy WRs in the draft.  For me if you want to stretch the field you go with Jernigan in the 2nd round.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gulo. Show Gulo's posts

what about Antonio Bryant, the one that was cut by the bengals after they got TO.  Hes not too old and hes a FA, so hed come cheap off the street if hes healthy

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kebbe. Show kebbe's posts

Woukld any of you who truly believe that the Pats are 5 or 6 pieces(or more in the minds of the most pessimistic and negative)consider that not that many pieces are missing.Rather,what is missing is the time many need to acclimate to the professional level and that the time required will vary among the many young players currently in place(remember how many supposedly knowleable fans said that DE Mario Williams was the worst pick as the number one choice overall in the history of any sport:they may or may not be as humiliated as they should be but some folks ego and arrogance knows no bounds).Not everyone adjusts as fast as Edelman,who is amazing in this regard,but most of them will adjust.They won't all be stars but they can be effective NFL players.By the way,a couple of us mentioned Deadrick before the draft and he seems to be coming on while I'm somewhat surprised and disappointed that Pryor hasn't earned more time,same with brace.Spikes and Cunningham will come on and actually Cunningham,who for all intents and purposes missed most of training camp,may be getting more and more time.McCourty has been oustanding as have Gronk,who didn't play at all last season because injury and Hernandez.I can't wait to see how Tate handles what is sure to be a vastly expanded role.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Smittyboy13. Show Smittyboy13's posts

There will be some wrs available in the first couple of rounds next year who may help. But lets face it folks. The day of the excitement when the Pats offence is on the field and anticipating the long hookups or explosive plays with Moss are history. This whole team is being re built from top to bottom and anyone who thinks these new tight ends are going to be strolling wide open down the middle of the field without Moss taking up two dbs watching him or that Welker is now going to get single coverage by a line backer instead of a safety better read football 101. Its not going to happen. I don't dissagree what the Pats did but I'm sure they had no back up plan when they did it. It was a knee jerk reaction because of a number of factors mostly Mosses fault with his complaining, distracting behavior. And he was gone after this year anyway so why have him be a distraction all year especially with all the young guys the Pats have. But their wr situation is not in good shape and bringing in a broken down Dieon Branch is not close to answering that problem. They now have 3 wrs with knee issues . Tate, Branch and Welker. Two rookie tight ends and Price who has been a healthy no play the first 4 games this year. Oh ya I almost forgot and a slow white ex quarterback who is Wes Welker but not close to half as good clone. With no pass rush and a bunch of rookie or second year dbs in their starting defensive lineup after looking at the Pats schedule and the Raiders I actually think when all the dust settles and the Pats have to go up against a bunch of gunslinging qbs this year and an offence that we are going to be seeing more field goals than tds that the Pats maybe picking their first rounder before the Raiders do .Oh course Bill [I walk on water} Belichick will turn all their first round picks into other picks and we will never see any first round picks just a bunch of second and thirds which he will then confuse us again by not picking any linebackers of defensive linebacking pass rushes and all the Belichick groupies will say' Oh that Bill is a genious" Settle in for a long long re building year or 2 or3,4,5 because at this rate and the way they don't want to dust off any money except for Brady we ain't going to the Super Bowl unless someone gets us tickets to watch other teams play. Sorry to be so negative but if someone can rip apart my thoughts on the subject I would be interested to hear your theory.

Sections
Shortcuts