Trade Mallett to Cleveland?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrbungle. Show mrbungle's posts

Trade Mallett to Cleveland?

I wonder. 

Cleveland could use a QB as I don't think Holmgren is sold on McCoy totally. 

Mallett is a legit 1st Rounder that now has a year of learning a complex system under his belt. He's big and has a rocket arm. 

We send Mallett to the Browns. Draft Richardson. Or, we could trade that 4 spot for a later 1st rounder and a 2nd rounder. Question is does Cleveland see the need to get Mallett as a better upgrade than McCoy with Richardson? 

You don't build a team around a RB. You do that around a QB and Mallett could be a big time QB and an obvious upgrade over McCoy. 

The Patriots locked up Hoyer. I don't see Mallett as someone that will want to wait until Brady retires. 

I know, I know, everyone's an expert before the draft. We all get caught up in the what if's and such. Myself included. I guess I can't help myself. I imagine Richardson in a Patriots uniform and I get aroused. I admit it. 

If we did something like this which, in all honesty, I highly doubt, the possibilities are huge. Like I said, we could trade that #4 for more picks and Richardson would command premium picks. Now, I like Mallett. I believe the Patriots got a steal in him. But, are we going to pay him, Hoyer and Brady? Beause Mallett will want a deal soon enough. I can't see BB keeping 3 QB's on the roster that cost that much. 

I say deal him now. The draft is thin at QB and teams are hungery for a big QB. Mallett could well be the number 2 pick in this year's draft or at least #3. 

What say ye? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Re: Trade Mallett to Cleveland?

Well . . .   it certainly would be great if the Browns were desperate enough to give up the fourth pick in the draft for a guy who dropped all the way to the third round last year, but it seems a little too much to hope for.

We haven't really seen anything from Mallet, so there's no reason to believe anybody thinks any more of him now than they did at this time last year, but we all know it's a quarterback-driven league and that there aren't enough to go around. If the Seattle Seahawks can hitch their wagon, first to Tarvaris Jackson (cough), and then to Matt Flynn (sputter), why can't the Browns get visions of sugarplums dancing in their heads when they think about Ryan Mallet?

Even so, this seems like more than the obligatory blue-skying.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from provpats. Show provpats's posts

I think we should do a multi-team trade for Mallett; whoever wants him has to give us Revis, DeMarcus Ware, Julio Jones and their first rounders for the next two years because a thrid-round pick will lift them to unimagined heights.

as far as the sugar plums go, I would send them out and have them tested for hallucinogens

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Assume for a second that Brady goes down... you want Hoyer as the only alternative?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

Mallett for the #4 pick? Are you serious? If they wanted a QB at 4 why not just take Tannehill. Holmgren didn't take 2 teams to the SB by making really poor decisions.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

I'm sure BB would jump on that in a heartbeat. Much like the pie in the sky dreaming of last year about Hoyer getting traded for a second round pick, it will never happen.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

I could see Cleveland being interested in Mallet and BB might be willing to move him for the right price, but there's zero chance they give up the #4 pick to get him, zero.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I can envision the Browns trading pick #22 for #48 and either Hoyer or Mallett if they are really desperate for a new QB (rumors are coming up that they might trade back into the back end of the 1st for Weeden, possibly Pats at #31?) but straight up Mallet for #4? You are on some really bad shrooms my friend

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmcintosh. Show andrewmcintosh's posts

If you believe for a heartbeat that Mallett, with one rookie pre-season of decent but hardly spectacular tape, could be traded for a 1st round pick, you are living on another planet my friend....Players, even proven one's, rarely get traded for much.  Picks are very, very valuable for the youth and upside they can bring to a franchise.  My guess is Mallett wouldn't fetch more than a 5th from anyone, some pretty darn good players with far more tape have been traded for less.  He's got far more value to the Pats, keep him on the team and let him continue to develop, everything i've heard (and granted its limited) is good.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rainbowroosie. Show rainbowroosie's posts

Mallett will be our QB when Tom retires.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenace4life. Show tenace4life's posts

Maybe one of their first round picks AND Mallett for Clevelands 4th pick in the first round and a 5th round pick  . . . but this will give Miami A&M's Tannehill, to the Dolphins, Pat's want to do that?  Even if they had the 4th pick, do you think they'd really go after Richardson after drafing two RBs early last year?  I'd see them using the pick to get the best defensive guy they can, be it a safety, cornerback, lineman or outside linebacker!  Pat's can always pick up a 3rd QB in the later rounds because all the 3rd QB does is throw balls in practice and carry a clipboard.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from leonardo0110. Show leonardo0110's posts

Even the Pink Panther looks high, I can just imagine the poster lol...I don't think mallet and hoyer are worth a 4th rd pick...But one can have dreams....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Mallett is a complete unknown to the rest of the league, a pig in a poke with possibly the league's longest throwing range.  The Patriots alone know whether Mallett is advancing to stardom like the second coming of Tom Brady, whether Mallett is drinking his sorrows out of a hip flask all day every day, or something in between.  If BB puts Mallett on the market, that should say loud and clear to everyone smarter than the Jets' GM that Mallett probably isn't any good at all. 

There shall be no trade.  If Mallett really is no good, BB will cut him at the end of August.  If Mallett is progressing, he stays on the team and someday he might possibly start in Foxboro.  A 35 year old (in August) Tom Brady probably won't last for all of time, then somebody else needs to start, and that somebody might be Hoyer or Mallett.

Matt Cassell was once the ultimate pig in a poke.  The guy never started in college, never!  Nobody else in the NFL looked twice at him.  Tom Terrific got bountied and Belichick laid his trump card down.  11-5.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from elDunker2. Show elDunker2's posts

I think its interesting that the Pats went out of their way a few weeks before the draft to proclaim how happy they are with Hoyer and his ability to step into a starting QB role NOW... Sounds to me that they have decided that Mallett is their next QB and will try to trade Hoyer on draft day. Might not geta straight up seond, but Hoyer could be nice bait for the right team, like SF.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

Giselle will leave Brady for me before the Browns trade the 4th overall pick for Ryan Mallett.  There is a better chance of all of us getting jobs on the Pats draft team than there is that trade going through.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In Response to Re: Trade Mallett to Cleveland?:
    Giselle will leave Brady for me before the Browns trade the 4th overall pick for Ryan Mallett.  ...
    Posted by titletownfan

then my advise to you is to just settle with one of the lesser victoria secret models 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptnFoxboro. Show CaptnFoxboro's posts

How you doin' Mr. Bungle ?

I'm guessing your not rethinkin' your postin' about now .

Harlem has probably seen more warmly received Klu Klux Klan rallies than BDC's pairing with this thread .

To your credit -
     You didn't fire back blindly  ...or just delete the thread heading all together .

Keep on truckin' brother .

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

In Response to Re: Trade Mallett to Cleveland?:
    How you doin' Mr. Bungle ?  I'm guessing your not rethinkin' your postin' about now .  Harlem has probably seen more warmly received Klu Klux Klan rallies than BDC's pairing with this thread . To your credit -  You didn't fire back blindly  ...or just delete the thread heading all together . Keep on truckin' brother .
    Posted by CaptnFoxboro

Good stuff

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mar10. Show mar10's posts

In Response to Trade Mallett to Cleveland?:
    I wonder.  Cleveland could use a QB as I don't think Holmgren is sold on McCoy totally.  Mallett is a legit 1st Rounder that now has a year of learning a complex system under his belt. He's big and has a rocket arm.  We send Mallett to the Browns. Draft Richardson. Or, we could trade that 4 spot for a later 1st rounder and a 2nd rounder. Question is does Cleveland see the need to get Mallett as a better upgrade than McCoy with Richardson?  You don't build a team around a RB. You do that around a QB and Mallett could be a big time QB and an obvious upgrade over McCoy.  The Patriots locked up Hoyer. I don't see Mallett as someone that will want to wait until Brady retires.  I know, I know, everyone's an expert before the draft. We all get caught up in the what if's and such. Myself included. I guess I can't help myself. I imagine Richardson in a Patriots uniform and I get aroused. I admit it.  If we did something like this which, in all honesty, I highly doubt, the possibilities are huge. Like I said, we could trade that #4 for more picks and Richardson would command premium picks. Now, I like Mallett. I believe the Patriots got a steal in him. But, are we going to pay him, Hoyer and Brady? Beause Mallett will want a deal soon enough. I can't see BB keeping 3 QB's on the roster that cost that much.  I say deal him now. The draft is thin at QB and teams are hungery for a big QB. Mallett could well be the number 2 pick in this year's draft or at least #3.  What say ye? 
    Posted by mrbungle

What has Mallet done since being drafted that would warrant such interest in him.  If Clevland wanted him they could have drafted him last year at a much lower position than #4 overall.

I have a bag of rocks and a sack full of dirty laundry... Maybe I can trade it for a 1st round pick... Moron!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Another stupid post by another waste of human flesh!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from seymonster. Show seymonster's posts

if mallett is such a stud, why extend hoyer?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrbungle. Show mrbungle's posts

Gee, that went over well. ;-)

BTW, mar10....your mother left her slippers at my house. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Trade Mallett to Cleveland?:
    I wonder.  Cleveland could use a QB as I don't think Holmgren is sold on McCoy totally.  Mallett is a legit 1st Rounder that now has a year of learning a complex system under his belt. He's big and has a rocket arm.  We send Mallett to the Browns. Draft Richardson. Or, we could trade that 4 spot for a later 1st rounder and a 2nd rounder. Question is does Cleveland see the need to get Mallett as a better upgrade than McCoy with Richardson?  You don't build a team around a RB. You do that around a QB and Mallett could be a big time QB and an obvious upgrade over McCoy.  The Patriots locked up Hoyer. I don't see Mallett as someone that will want to wait until Brady retires.  I know, I know, everyone's an expert before the draft. We all get caught up in the what if's and such. Myself included. I guess I can't help myself. I imagine Richardson in a Patriots uniform and I get aroused. I admit it.  If we did something like this which, in all honesty, I highly doubt, the possibilities are huge. Like I said, we could trade that #4 for more picks and Richardson would command premium picks. Now, I like Mallett. I believe the Patriots got a steal in him. But, are we going to pay him, Hoyer and Brady? Beause Mallett will want a deal soon enough. I can't see BB keeping 3 QB's on the roster that cost that much.  I say deal him now. The draft is thin at QB and teams are hungery for a big QB. Mallett could well be the number 2 pick in this year's draft or at least #3.  What say ye? 
    Posted by mrbungle

Mr. B...your idea of a Mallett trade isn't a bad one. But, there's no way that he would have gone anywhere near the top 5, had he been in this years' draft class. You're forgetting his alleged character issues...which caused him to drop last year to the third round, 74th overall. Besides, what has he done thus far to indicate that he's going to develop into an NFL starting QB? 

That said, if a team like Cleveland might like his potential, better than, say, the 28 year old Brandon Weeden. If they would offerthe Pats, say, the 37th overall pick for Mallett, he'd be traded.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dmcpatsfan. Show dmcpatsfan's posts

Personally I think Mallett is the future of the Patriots franchise when Brady leaves in a couple years....let him learn the offense, bulk up & fine tune his mechanics under the best QB in the league...build the line in front of him like they are doing as he's a pocket passer like Brady & draft a guy with great hands & BLAIZING speed that Mallet can throw bombs to at any given play...

I hope we keep him, he was a steal & QB's with his POTENTIAL along with Brady mentoring him could be unbelievable to watch in a couple more years(or sooner if Brady gets hurt)....

Sections
Shortcuts