Trade Mankins for 3-4 DE

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

Re: Trade Mankins for 3-4 DE

How much do we need a guy like Schobel now.. You think we'll pay him because the price of poker just went up.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

schobel would be a great signing. however it seems like we might need mankins with kazcur being injured

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Gotta keep Mayo and Spikes on the field together. We still have PLENTY of beef on the D line in the other Warren, Lewis,Pryor,Deadrick and I really think Mike Wright fills a Jarvis Green type roll. Losing Warren hurts and I would likt to see us sign Shoebel etc. but I think we will be fine. Everybody seems to underestimate the former 1st rd signings of G Warren and Lewis???

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Agree with TrueChamp. Got to stick with base 3-4 and make sure Mayo/Spikes are in the middle together. With Lewis, Brace, Wright, Deadrick, these guys should be able to fill in. Although not optimal, it's better than acquiring Schoebel and turning to a base 4-3 at this point. There are perhaps a few trade options to consider. 

I think we have ammo to trade, but who are the logical partners given we need a big 3-4 DE in the shape of Seymour? Only a few come to mind, and not sure if it even makes sense..but what about Marcus Spears? Mankins + a draft pick for Spears?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

russ, why would Oak do that?  I would expect that trade from a troll, but I know u are not one.  Uncle Al is a little lost, but not dead.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

Russ, we are not getting Seymour - although I would love that - we SHOULD have NEVER got rid of him in the first place! - Last yr it was Seymour and now this year - Warren. - Wow.  OK, we get Burgess back today - which helps a little.  BUT still doesn't fill the void.....

I still agree that the Pats SHOULD go after SCHOBEL HARD (Especially NOW)!! He is a football Player who can RUSH the Passer in certain situations!  We all know BB can come up with ways to put this guy on the field and make an impact whether they are in the 4-3 3-4 or even 5-2 - 2-5 - doesn't matter - Just BRING him here and give it a SHOT! 

I'd rather take my chances with Schobel (best available out there right NOW!) than anyone ELSE!

Ok, onto Mankins - Wow, this is a mess now it seems - What about Pittsburgh? I know their line stinks - for Woodley?  I have no idea - just guessing....I think he is a FA next yr anyways...but just a thought - if this mankin thing isn't going anywhere!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

In Response to Re: Trade Mankins for 3-4 DE:
    Russ, we are not getting Seymour - although I would love that - we SHOULD have NEVER got rid of him in the first place! - Last yr it was Seymour and now this year - Warren. - Wow.  OK, we get Burgess back today - which helps a little.  BUT still doesn't fill the void..... I still agree that the Pats SHOULD go after SCHOBEL HARD (Especially NOW)!! He is a football Player who can RUSH the Passer in certain situations!  We all know BB can come up with ways to put this guy on the field and make an impact whether they are in the 4-3 3-4 or even 5-2 - 2-5 - doesn't matter - Just BRING him here and give it a SHOT!  I'd rather take my chances with Schobel (best available out there right NOW!) than anyone ELSE! Ok, onto Mankins - Wow, this is a mess now it seems - What about Pittsburgh? I know their line stinks - for Woodley?  I have no idea - just guessing....I think he is a FA next yr anyways...but just a thought - if this mankin thing isn't going anywhere!
    Posted by NOISE

Agreed, Noise.

I'd give Schobel $8 million in an uncapped year before giving Seymour $12 million. That's far more than the Texans would, or even can, pay him.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

Burgess returned.  You don't get it. We don;t need another Schobel/Burgess type unless they were to go full blown 4-3. Burgess is dirt cheap and yes I agree not as productive as Schobel but with Warren's injury, that 3-4 DE position is rugged, meaning this D needs another legit DE body.  Mike Wright and Gerard Warren are your starters. I have no issues with this for performance capability, but they are very thin here because Brace has done nothing and Damione Lewis is also a convert who didn't play much last night.   Sign and trade Mankins with their 2nd 2d rder iin 2011 for Marcus Spears.
    Posted by russgriswold

Hey Russ,

I do get that Burgess returned, but I don't think he's half the player that Schobel is. And I'm not saying that Schobel is the answer for a full time 3-4 DE; I'm just saying he's a hardnosed football player, so let's grab him and use him in some special way. If someone like Ninkovich loses a spot, so be it. Find another way to replace Warren, but grab Scobel too.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

Sure. I am not against it. I'd rather work on solving the 3-4 DE problem for depth v.s. adding another OLB here, though, first and foremost.  Schobel would have been perfect if Ty Warren didn't get hurt and Burgess hadn't of returned.  I think the Ty Warren injury puts them in a tough spot in terms of depth and the 3-4 DE is a grueling position to play.  Both the D Line 3-4 slots are.  Spears is coming off a sprain and I am wondering if Jerry Jones might bite on unloading him to improve his O Line concerns for Mankins.
    Posted by russgriswold

Has there been talk about Spears being available?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Russ, we are not getting Seymour - although I would love that - we SHOULD have NEVER got rid of him in the first place! - Last yr it was Seymour and now this year - Warren. - Wow.  OK, we get Burgess back today - which helps a little.  BUT still doesn't fill the void..... I still agree that the Pats SHOULD go after SCHOBEL HARD (Especially NOW)!! He is a football Player who can RUSH the Passer in certain situations!  We all know BB can come up with ways to put this guy on the field and make an impact whether they are in the 4-3 3-4 or even 5-2 - 2-5 - doesn't matter - Just BRING him here and give it a SHOT!  I'd rather take my chances with Schobel (best available out there right NOW!) than anyone ELSE! Ok, onto Mankins - Wow, this is a mess now it seems - What about Pittsburgh? I know their line stinks - for Woodley?  I have no idea - just guessing....I think he is a FA next yr anyways...but just a thought - if this mankin thing isn't going anywhere!
    Posted by NOISE

I like the idea of trading Mankins to Pittsburgh, but they won't give us Woodley unless we unload a 1st round pick. I say we ask them for Aaron Smith. He has some miles on him, but he's really good at collapsing the pocket. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

I'd call Greenbay and starting asking what it would take to get Johnny Jolly. Mankins is getting more and more pretentious by the day. The guy thinks he's a QB, he's not even a tackle, but he thinks he can command a price tag. Talk about a d0uche. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Also, was it Warren who had the injury or was it both Warren and Kaczur? It seems as the report might have been srcewed up.

And I agree with Russ, with Burgess back in camp Schobel becomes redundant. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ONE-TIME. Show ONE-TIME's posts

I understand where your coming from , but the problem is value. Sure there are a couple guys out there , but we wouldnt get close to fair value for a guy like Mank. Your talking about a top 5-8 G in a league. Seemed like last year there was two camps regarding Big Sey and the type of player he was for us. Some called him overrated that took plays of. IMHO hes a future HOF and still has more than enough left in the tank for 2-3 very good seasons. Theres no chance in hell he's ever coming back here though. Im still not sure if I would have done that deal , it would have been very hard not to. Your talking about a guy that was the absolute best at his position for close to ten years. And was maybe the most important D-player on our last two championship teams. And whether people want to admit it or not losing him last year hurt us really bad. Teams made no secret about the fact that they were going to run and do it on what would have been his side. I really like the 3-4 , but you absolutely need to have the players for it. Theres ways to cover up if you dont in a 4-3 , but not in a 3-4. And the 5 technique is key , especially in the 2 gap system we run. Im just not sure we'd get the value back in return. Im all for trading him , but I want a player back. It looks pretty bad now and getting to the point of no return. If this goes into the season theres no way hes coming back next year , so why not. If we know a player like Mank isnt coming back , we have no chance of signing him , then you have to try and trade. I would be looking for another o-lineman or OLB in return. I love the Woodley proposal , but we would need to throw in a draft pick as well. Woodley would fit in great here and is obviously a position of great need. And we need a player like him as much as Pitt needs someone like Mank. If not Wood then I might stay on the line and try and go for a guy like Steinbach from the Browns. Hes tough , has a mean streak , versatile , so you can move him around a little bit and has great fundamentals , which is essential for all Pats players. I could see this actually happening straight up because of how good both are and where their at in their respected careers. Hey I love me some 5 technique , but wont trade Mank just to do it. Hes too good of a player , again if anything go for another position of need , lol I think theres a few out there. What about trading him for a S , Ive always been a huge of Wilson (Cards) or Griffin (Titans). Id prefer Griffin simply because of his age , but think Wilson would be a better fit. Griffin is a great player and would make this better for years to come. Hes the player everyone thought Merri. would become , who knows maybe he will , but hasnt got there yet.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ONE-TIME. Show ONE-TIME's posts

Im not sure why you would say that about Schobel. Your talking about a guy that has produced much more and played on a much higher level than DB. Let DB retire or keep him , whatever , but if you have a choice between the two its not a debate about who the better player is. From technique and fundamentals , to producing its not close. Plus this is a guy that weve seen play and kill us for years.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from CamBam08. Show CamBam08's posts

http://www.purpleamerican.com/2010/08/afc-east-jets-pats/ take a look at this link. It's why the pats will beat the jets this year.

The Ty Warren thing really hurts. Guess he shouldn't have skipped the offseason workouts. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME. Show NEGAME's posts

I thought they can't trade him until he signs his tender, which he hasn't. The team has rights to him but he's not under contract. He's probably not going to play this year for the Pats or anybody else. What a dumb a** he is and his agent is even more stupid, because his rfa will continue for one more year.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Agree, not sold on Shoebel though.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from can-pats-fan. Show can-pats-fan's posts

MVP- We haven't had the personal to run the 3-4 properly since Seyour left, and the majority of or new acquisions on the D-line have had more 4-3 experience than the 3-4.  So I respectfully disagree as I beleive with what we have on this roster we should be running the 4-3 and forget trying to fit a round peg in a square hole.  Will Bill ever admit this?  never, far too stubborn.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

The Pats would be lucky if they could trade him for a bowl of Nacho's right now.

They would have to somehow work out a deal where whatever team gets him puts him under a 8-10 mil contract or he won't sign his tender.  What team wants a disgruntled guard who wants QB money? 

If he wants out of town he has to take less money so he is worth a trade.  So what's the point, he could have just taken the offer from the Pats.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Yeah ESPN accidentally wrote that Mankins had a back injury, and that Kaczur had a contract problem... I laughed...  Reiss should straighten them out over there. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from waddleman40. Show waddleman40's posts

why do agents do that

why do the agents have to stoop to lows by saying stupid comments?  what ever happened to dignity?  if that was my agents mankins had he'd be gone.  be professional and you'll be treated that way. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from waddleman40. Show waddleman40's posts

there are 2 sides to evry story. i like mankins but ya know what?  the patriots are a team and it takes 11 guys on the field at a time to win.  maybe logan mankins and his agent should back to 2008.  they should be remind that brady was out for the year and they still went 11-5. can win with you or without you.

Sections
Shortcuts