trade proposal

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

Re: trade proposal

Karp

I don't get this deal. Aren't we already good with RidleyVereen/Bolden? And, Vereen can catch the ball, when he returns. Ok, Blount is not much of KR and neither is Leon Washington, so far. 

What do you see Jones Drew adding?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

It's a no-brainer except for the money/cap hit.  

"How much tread is left on his tires?"  Just as much as TB.  The window has been closing for 3 years or more!  Are we supposed to wait til TB is gone?  BB loves this guy and he can actually catch the ball as well as run.  I love him.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to NYC's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Karp

I don't get this deal. Aren't we already good with RidleyVereen/Bolden? And, Vereen can catch the ball, when he returns. Ok, Blount is not much of KR and neither is Leon Washington, so far. 

What do you see Jones Drew adding?

[/QUOTE]

Apologies, this was posted by ESPN

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

As the NFL's trading deadline -- Tuesday, Oct. 29 at 4 p.m. ET -- approaches, we explore five explosive, albeit unlikely, possible deals.

Jaguars trade running back Maurice Jones-Drew to Patriots for their 2014 sixth-round draft choice

This one actually makes too much sense.

Patriots head coach Bill Belichick loves old running backs. As a Giants assistant, he watched as lumbering Ottis Anderson help carry New York to a victory in Super Bowl XXV to cap the 1990 season. Anderson, just shy of his 34th birthday, was the game's Most Valuable Player. The Patriots, instructively, have had a rich recent history of veteran running backs: Antowain Smith helped them win their first two Super Bowls, and he was followed by Corey Dillon, the lead runner in their third title. In 2009, the Patriots signed longtime Jaguars tailback Fred Taylor at 33.

Jones-Drew, another Jaguars running back, might be a tad too young for Belichick's taste at 28, but he has a proven pedigree. In seven-plus seasons, he's produced more than 10,000 yards from scrimmage and 76 touchdowns. He's also in the final year of a contract that pays him $4.95 million.

A fortified ground game with Jones-Drew would improve the Patriots' chances to be a formidable playoff threat in the AFC. New England's running backs -- Vereen, Stevan Ridley, LeGarrette Blount and Brandon Bolden -- have been both injured and ordinary. Jones-Drew is the kind of player, like Wes Welker and Rob Gronkowski on offense and now Aqib Talib on defense, that Belichick can build a scheme around as he tries to get Tom Brady a fourth Super Bowl ring.

David Caldwell, the Jaguars' general manager, has said Jones-Drew isn't going anywhere, but he did deal a former first-round pick, offensive tackle Eugene Monroe, to the Ravens earlier this month.

"When you make a commitment to build it through the draft, to have as many picks as possible is the key," Caldwell said at the time.

By trading Jones-Drew, the Jags would get something before he likely leaves as a free agent -- and receive a replacement running back and a free pick. Don't forget that Brady was a sixth-round pick. Jones-Drew's departure would help continue Jacksonville's flat-line performance and probably ensure the No. 1 overall pick in the draft, which would look good on Louisville quarterback Teddy Bridgewater.

A sixth-round pick might not seem like much in return for a name player such as Jones-Drew, but running backs are perceived as far less valuable than in years past in league circles. Very few feature backs are getting a third contract these days. Plus, Jones-Drew would be a rental with eight years of NFL mileage and a holdout on his résumé. How much tread is left on his tires?

Why would the pats do this when they clearly love riding bradys arm?  They have competent backs and dont use them. Ive watched Joshy call games like he gets a check for the other team in atleast 3 2nd halfs already and we were never out the game, yet abandoned the run. This Running your best players in the dirt has caught up to BB. First it was Seymour, Then Dillon, Then Brady, Then Wes, Then Gronk and Brady ...did I mention him..yea since 2006, weve rode his arm!  This is why I laughed when Wozzy made a thread in July about being a smash mouth team. Sure all the components are there, but Joshy must love Watching Brady sling it! Btw, is Joshy Married??

This team still relies on Brady to clean up for all the bad team management that has happened the last few years. No DT depth, NO S depth and we are overpaying scrub CBs who are getting benched in week 6!  Logan could have filled Arringtons role and maybe we could have paid for another DT or a TE even....lol - I mean BB knew about AH when? and who did he add?? Ballard, Fells, hooman were all on the roster already.....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

I don't see RB as a need in Foxboro, so this deal makes zero sense to me.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

^This

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Disagree. I think people are overrating our backs here a bit...for one Vareen is a guy you can't count on. Ridley looks good to me, but he is not special and will fumble - this is no accident - he carries that ball out there for the entire defense to take a swipe at, plus he doesn't run low and compact (more reason he coughs it up). Bolden is too slow and too average. And Blount is just as likely to lose four yards, as getting four yards.

I don't think there is a defense in the league that goes into a game worrying about our rushing attack.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrmccook. Show jrmccook's posts

[QUOTE]

Posted on ESPN 10/23/13

As the NFL's trading deadline -- Tuesday, Oct. 29 at 4 p.m. ET -- approaches, we explore five explosive, albeit unlikely, possible deals.

Jaguars trade running back Maurice Jones-Drew to Patriots for their 2014 sixth-round draft choice

This one actually makes too much sense.

Patriots head coach Bill Belichick loves old running backs. As a Giants assistant, he watched as lumbering Ottis Anderson help carry New York to a victory in Super Bowl XXV to cap the 1990 season. Anderson, just shy of his 34th birthday, was the game's Most Valuable Player. The Patriots, instructively, have had a rich recent history of veteran running backs: Antowain Smith helped them win their first two Super Bowls, and he was followed by Corey Dillon, the lead runner in their third title. In 2009, the Patriots signed longtime Jaguars tailback Fred Taylor at 33.

Jones-Drew, another Jaguars running back, might be a tad too young for Belichick's taste at 28, but he has a proven pedigree. In seven-plus seasons, he's produced more than 10,000 yards from scrimmage and 76 touchdowns. He's also in the final year of a contract that pays him $4.95 million.

A fortified ground game with Jones-Drew would improve the Patriots' chances to be a formidable playoff threat in the AFC. New England's running backs -- Vereen, Stevan Ridley, LeGarrette Blount and Brandon Bolden -- have been both injured and ordinary. Jones-Drew is the kind of player, like Wes Welker and Rob Gronkowski on offense and now Aqib Talib on defense, that Belichick can build a scheme around as he tries to get Tom Brady a fourth Super Bowl ring.

David Caldwell, the Jaguars' general manager, has said Jones-Drew isn't going anywhere, but he did deal a former first-round pick, offensive tackle Eugene Monroe, to the Ravens earlier this month.

"When you make a commitment to build it through the draft, to have as many picks as possible is the key," Caldwell said at the time.

By trading Jones-Drew, the Jags would get something before he likely leaves as a free agent -- and receive a replacement running back and a free pick. Don't forget that Brady was a sixth-round pick. Jones-Drew's departure would help continue Jacksonville's flat-line performance and probably ensure the No. 1 overall pick in the draft, which would look good on Louisville quarterback Teddy Bridgewater.

A sixth-round pick might not seem like much in return for a name player such as Jones-Drew, but running backs are perceived as far less valuable than in years past in league circles. Very few feature backs are getting a third contract these days. Plus, Jones-Drew would be a rental with eight years of NFL mileage and a holdout on his résumé. How much tread is left on his tires?

[/QUOTE]

I live in florida and unfortunately have to watch the jaguars play on tv because they block out other games. Jones is not the same back he was a few years ago. He's lost more than a step. He is sloooooooooooooow now. He hits the lines slow, goes through them slow and it leads to many no gain or loss of yardage situations. He doesn't have any breakaway speed. His few big gains have come from excellent blocking with a number of lead blockers out in front opening a big path. He's not brady slow, but I think spikes could cover him one on one and that says all you need to know.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Disagree. I think people are overrating our backs here a bit...for one Vareen is a guy you can't count on. Ridley looks good to me, but he is not special and will fumble - this is no accident - he carries that ball out there for the entire defense to take a swipe at, plus he doesn't run low and compact (more reason he coughs it up). Bolden is too slow and too average. And Blount is just as likely to lose four yards, as getting four yards.

I don't think there is a defense in the league that goes into a game worrying about our rushing attack.

[/QUOTE]

Respect the opinion. Can even agree with the Blount statement. While the Vereen and Ridley comments are not "entirely" false, they are a bit dramatized too. IMO.

The Patriots "currently" have the 3rd highest Patriots team rushing yards per attempt avg. @ 4.2 since 1990.

So compared to the last 23 seasons of Patriots teams, the team rushing attack seems to be doing ok and not in dire need.

...and they are currently ranked 11th in the NFL in that same team category.

Adding some context to that. That is taking into account that Brady can not run while teams listed above them have the likes of RGIII, Andrew Luck, Aaron Rodgers, Russell Wilson, Adrian Peterson, or Colin Kapernick.

They don't seem to be in need of a running back to me at the moment.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

Posted on ESPN 10/23/13

[/QUOTE]

Love that part of the article because correct me if I'm wrong but MJD the last couple of years has been injured and ordinary. That's like BB waiting in the weeds logic right there

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

The think that makes sense is the sixth round pick as the Patriots are projected to get two 6th rd compensation picks and maybe a 7th.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jedediah10. Show jedediah10's posts

Can he play NT?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenace4life. Show tenace4life's posts

Why not trade with Vikings . . . Petersen and Cassel for Ryan Mallett, Bolden and a 2nd round pick . . . think that is more likely that getting Drew Jones.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RicosUncle. Show RicosUncle's posts

The Pats running game is more than adequate when the game plan calls for a balance between the run and pass and the O Line is allowed to make a commitment to the run...it's as much mental as physical...it just doesn't happen because in the 3rd quarter you decide to "run" the ball...it takes timing and, especially for the pros, an entirely different, more physical style than pass blocking....if you don't know this you probably haven't played much football...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RicosUncle. Show RicosUncle's posts

In response to tenace4life's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Why not trade with Vikings . . . Petersen and Cassel for Ryan Mallett, Bolden and a 2nd round pick . . . think that is more likely that getting Drew Jones.

[/QUOTE]

WHAT?!...no offense, this is like a jr. high school proposed trade...the Vikes trade AD for two unknown quantities and a low 2nd rounder?...for the best RB of his generation?..Seriously?

Maybe the Def. Dept. can trade a Predator Drone to Planet Krypton for Superman

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to RicosUncle's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to tenace4life's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

WHAT?!...no offense, this is like a jr. high school proposed trade...the Vikes trade AD for two unknown quantities and a low 2nd rounder?...for the best RB of his generation?..Seriously?

Maybe the Def. Dept. can trade a Predator Drone to Planet Krypton for Superman

[/QUOTE]

Yep, and then Patrick Peterson for a 4th and we're all set. 

Pipe dreams are nice, but let's get real.

MJD for a 6th is possible, but I fail to see where it does much to improve the ballclub at this point. I'd rather take Cecil Shorts off their hands.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

No Thanks!  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrmccook. Show jrmccook's posts

In response to Harvey-Wallbanger's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Posted on ESPN 10/23/13

[/QUOTE]

Love that part of the article because correct me if I'm wrong but MJD the last couple of years has been injured and ordinary. That's like BB waiting in the weeds logic right there

[/QUOTE]

Umm, Jax has no O Line, no QB, no WRs and it was amazing how many yards he put up every year in those conditions.

Nothing "ordinary" about a 2011 and 2012 MJD.

[/QUOTE]

But he's not the mjd of 2011 or evenn 2012. He got hurt and is now slow. For a 5'7 back, losing your speed is not something you can compensate for. He's either not fully recovered or he's done.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to jrmccook's comment:
    [QUOTE]

But he's not the mjd of 2011 or evenn 2012. He got hurt and is now slow. For a 5'7 back, losing your speed is not something you can compensate for. He's either not fully recovered or he's done.

[/QUOTE]

Rusty thought A. Wilson was going to be the A. Wilson of 09'-10' too and killed me when I said A. Wilson looked different, slow, not like himself towards the end of 12'. Then he started calling me childish names among other things when I said I thought signing Amendola over Welker was a bad mistake. So no shocker he'd tried to say the complete opposite of what's clearly in front of everyone's eyes if it contradicts what I say so I wouldn't worry about it. Not worth trying to discuss with him

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Posted on ESPN 10/23/13

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Umm, Jax has no O Line, no QB, no WRs and it was amazing how many yards he put up every year in those conditions.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He's done.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Posted on ESPN 10/23/13

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He's done.

[/QUOTE]

In the NFL, a very brutal and unforgiving game, you really cant continually rely on ONE player to give you ALL the offensive production. Sooner or later the wear and tear becomes too much. Thats why you have 11 guys on the field. We have seen the same detoriaton here with Brady and him being overused over the last 5 years to the point his arm is probably hanging by a string and people cant seem to figure out why he is struggling....

Everyone forgot about Brady playing with broken ribs. Forgot about Brady playing with a torn rotator cuff in his 2nd year or the torn labrum in 2005 that had him struggling through the Denver game. They only remember what they want. I recall the RB from Tampa just being put on I/R for messing up his labrum....

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Posted on ESPN 10/23/13

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He's done.

[/QUOTE]

In the NFL, a very brutal and unforgiving game, you really cant continually rely on ONE player to give you ALL the offensive production. Sooner or later the wear and tear becomes too much. Thats why you have 11 guys on the field. We have seen the same detoriaton here with Brady and him being overused over the last 5 years to the point his arm is probably hanging by a string and people cant seem to figure out why he is struggling....

Everyone forgot about Brady playing with broken ribs. Forgot about Brady playing with a torn rotator cuff in his 2nd year or the torn labrum in 2005 that had him struggling through the Denver game. They only remember what they want. I recall the RB from Tampa just being put on I/R for messing up his labrum....

[/QUOTE]

No doubt, i agree with you it takes 11 guys on both sides of the ball. I would even take it one step further on offense in regards to on field execution. It starts in the trenches.... if the O-line can't execute their blocks on runs or pass protect for a certain period of time it doesn't matter what is happening elsewhere on the play it is bound to fail 95% of the time. In the NFL the key to the game is in the trenches these guys are the reason skill position players make plays.

As far as Brady goes there is no doubt he is the ultimate gamer. There is not a tougher QB nor is there any other QB that I would prefer to QB this team. NOBODY!!! He and BB are the reason the franchise is where it is at today. that being said TB outside of the inexperience at receiver and the issues on the O-line has not been TB like at times this year.

I predict that he will elevate his game as the season progresses and this offense will be a difficult unit to deal later in the year.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bungalow-Bill. Show Bungalow-Bill's posts

[QUOTE]

I suggested this deal in 2011 where we dealt Welker and Woodhead, to get Brady under Center more and for us to win a SB. Just think...If it had occurred, we win SB 46.

[/QUOTE]

Yep, that's a certainty. Rusty's crystal ball told him. What a joke.

Sections
Shortcuts