Trade Ryan Mallet?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

Trade Ryan Mallet?

Jim Miller and others from Sirius XM Radio are hot on the idea of trading Ryan Mallet in the upcoming draft for a high 2nd rounder. "Better arm than RG III and Luck".  

I don't like the idea of only getting a second after we have trained him for a year under Brady, straightened  him out from personal troubles and losing Brady's replacment in waiting. However, if we unload him I would only be happy getting a first from Cleveland (#20?) and ideally Miami's #8.  Where does it make sense to trade?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from FishTaco64. Show FishTaco64's posts

Re: Trade Ryan Mallet?

I would do it for a 1st rounder, then take another QB in the middle rounds to develop. They have shown to be good at doing so, developing Cassel and Hoyer under Brady. A 2nd? Maybe, but it would have to be real high in the round, and with a conditional late rounder thrown in for the following year. That pick would go up if Mallet say, started 10 or more gmaes, or threw 25 or more TDs, etc.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

A early 2nd (like Clev's 2nd) is almost as good as getting a 1st anyways. If they truely believe Hoyer is a starter then by all means trade Mallett. Think about it for a second, it's like lending someone $250 and getting $500+ back. After a single year they would more then double their investment. That's huge value in my eyes. When can you trade a very late 3rd pick and get a very early 2nd back the next year? It's almost unheard of. I know a lot of people love Mallett because his size and arm remind many of Bledsoe but I've seen a game manager in Hoyer. It's just my personal preference but I've always preferred a game manager over a gun slinger any day. The reason is that gun slingers can lose you as many games as they win, while a game manager might not win you games but they won't lose you games either. So with the right team around them you will win more games then you lose (think Brady from 01-03).

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dmcpatsfan. Show dmcpatsfan's posts

I would not trade him...he's the Pats future air apparent to Brady...

trade Hoyer for a 3rd...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Honestly, does anyone on this board seriously believe that a 2nd year QB with no real game experience who was drafted in the 3rd round over off-field concerns will garner either a 1st or 2nd rounder?   Mallet has a cruise missile arm but I'd be surprised if there were that kind of interest for him out there.

My 2 cents.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Mallett is not a fit in the West Coast Offense,the WCO requires the QB to be somewhat mobile and from all accounts that I've read Mallett is the second coming of leadfoot Bledsoe. Maybe he and Schiano can make a deal for TB's second rounder,Mallett pocesses a great arm and with VJ playing WR they would be a nice combo,also he'd be out of the AFC. If they trade him maybe they'll draft the most cerebral QB in this draft as his replacement Kellen Moore,though they do have Mike Hartline on the roster and he is the prototypical BB QB. 6'6 235...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillgridlocked. Show stillgridlocked's posts

No one is giving up a 1st or 2nd round pick for Mallet and I agree with dmcpatsfan
    Mallet is the future. He has the size the arm and the pedigree. 

He needs some snaps in a blowout. The Pats are pretty stingy giving snaps to anyone but Brady. In 2007 they left him in till the 4thQ in a few games that were long over. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Trade Ryan Mallet?:
    Jim Miller and others from Sirius XM Radio are hot on the idea of trading Ryan Mallet in the upcoming draft for a high 2nd rounder. "Better arm than RG III and Luck".   I don't like the idea of only getting a second after we have trained him for a year under Brady, straightened  him out from personal troubles and losing Brady's replacment in waiting. However, if we unload him I would only be happy getting a first from Cleveland (#20?) and ideally Miami's #8.  Where does it make sense to trade?
    Posted by NYC

If Cleveland offered the Pats their 37th overall pick for him, I'd do it in a NY minute.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

In Response to Re: Trade Ryan Mallet?:
    Honestly, does anyone on this board seriously believe that a 2nd year QB with no real game experience who was drafted in the 3rd round over off-field concerns will garner either a 1st or 2nd rounder?   Mallet has a cruise missile arm but I'd be surprised if there were that kind of interest for him out there. My 2 cents.
    Posted by ATJ

If Mallet did not have off-field concerns in 2011 he might have been a top 10 pick. Since there have been no issues in year 1 at Foxboro one might assume he is maturing and his value as a top 10 pick is being restored. Plus, a year of Brady tutelage is an endorsement. Of course, one would like to see game experience to verify this but that is not likely under BB/Brady. Personally, I am good with keeping him  as a Pat and letting him continue to develop.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In Response to Re: Trade Ryan Mallet? : If Mallet did not have off-field concerns in 2011 he might have been a top 10 pick. Since there have been no issues in year 1 at Foxboro one might assume he is maturing and his value as a top 10 pick is being restored. Plus, a year of Brady tutelage is an endorsement. Of course, one would like to see game experience to verify this but that is not likely under BB/Brady. Personally, I am good with keeping him  as a Pat and letting him continue to develop.
    Posted by NYC

No question the guy had (and still has) Rd 1 talent.  I think keeping him, all in all, is the better option.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hoier. Show Hoier's posts

Why, he is Heir apparent

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

I would not trade him...he's the Pats future air apparent to BradyPosted by dmcpatsfan

No he's not and niether is Hoyer

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In Response to Re: Trade Ryan Mallet? : No he's not and niether is Hoyer
    Posted by kansaspatriot

You don't think Mallet is?  I think they keep Hoyer in case Brady goes down in the near future, Mallet will be the one to take over when Brady retires, imo.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In Response to Re: Trade Ryan Mallet? : You don't think Mallet is?  Posted by TFB12

No, if he was he would have been #2 last year.

I htink we are going to be in the same perdicament Denver went through with QBs after Elway retired. No one will ever measure up to TB.

I think we ought to trade Mallet and Hoyer and go after Brock Osweiler

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

He needs some snaps in a blowout. The Pats are pretty stingy giving snaps to anyone but Brady. In 2007 they left him in till the 4thQ in a few games that were long over

This I still don't understand. There has been a lot of garbage time and the backups should get some snaps with the first team O line. How else do you know what you have?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from timesedge. Show timesedge's posts

IMHO I don't think that Mallett is the future unless that future involves trading Brady to another team or Brady has a career ending injury. Mallett's rookie contract is up in 3 years. Brady wants to play at least five years. That means that Mallett will be on his second NFL contract - he will want a hefty raise and the chance to start.

The time to grab a "QB of the future" is during Brady's last few years. That probably means 3 years from now. The only reason to get a guy earlier than that is if it's deal you just can't pass up - meaning that 1) it's a deal where the team somehow got a pick at the top of the draft, and 2) you will very likely be thinking about trading Brady (Basically what just happened in Indy).

Mallett is great insurance in case Brady goes down, and will likely take the #2 spot when Hoyer leaves/is traded, but I don't see him as Brady's successor.

I do agree that his value to other teams is very limited as well, so I don't know why a team would trade a second for him when he fell to the third last year. IF he gets a bit of time to showcase his abilities then maybe, just maybe he is viewed as worth a 2nd rounder, but he has had no chance to do that as of yet. I don't think he will either, because they're going to showcase Hoyer this year whenever they get the chance because he is worth more in a trade at this point.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Not entirely sure how anyone can categorically say that he either is or is not the heir apparent to TB.  Kid has Rd 1 talent but we've never seen him in a regular season NFL game.  And I stand by my earlier post - trading him will not garner a great deal.  Boring as this may seem, probably best to see what the kid can do before labeling him as either the next Ryan Leaf or the second coming of Tom Brady.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillgridlocked. Show stillgridlocked's posts

If Brady didn't go down for a year they'd never have been able to trade Cassel.

I mean Belichick must have an idea of what he has in his backup QBs but how would anyone else?

One of those blowouts was like 59-6 and they took Brady out and then put him back in. That year was all about getting records otherwise you'd be resting your starters.

One thing is for sure Mallet or the kid Brock Osweiler that kansaspatriot mentioned would never have any passes battered down by the D-line like Brady experiences on occasion. Mallet is 6-6 and Osweiler is 6-8.

Anyone remember Roman Gabriel? He was big physically big and I remember seeing him stiff arm D linemen and staying on his feet to complete passes.

This I still don't understand. There has been a lot of garbage time and the backups should get some snaps with the first team O line. How else do you know what you have?
    Posted by Philskiw1

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from FenwayChuck. Show FenwayChuck's posts

I actually find this silliness....
    Is he or isn't he the next coming?

WHO CARES.... It should be pretty easy to see that once TB is gone (via injury or trade or retirement) that the offense of this team will have to be changed to fit either Hoyer or Mallett.  Neither of them is a Brady Clone.
    That being said, IF the patriots see value in trading either of Mallett or Hoyer during the draft they will be gone.
    There is the discussion about the value of Mallett... Hmmmis he worth a #1 or a #2?  Can't be he was a #3.....  Why can't he be worth an earlier pick?  How many teams now need a QB?... at least a couple.  IS Mallett as good as Tannehill?  Better?  That is the third person that the "Heads" claim is a quality QB.  Now that he is over his problems is Mallett better or worse than Tannehill? 
    For the sake of Argument let us say he is better ( as Tennehill does not have a large body of college work).... SO then the question becomes.... Mallett VS RG3....

Is he anywhere near as good as RG3.... in this case we have to understand that he has nowhere near the running ability - but between the two arms.... are the equals? IF so then it becomes up to the buyer.... do you want the "Pocket" presence which means you build a strong stable line, and good RB's and work with that arm.... or is your team prepared to use the versatile running QB?.  It becomes a coaches style of game discussion... which can the team do better given it's makeup ( assuming they both have equal arms).

To be honest... there actually may be a market for someone like Mallett.... but I do concur if the other teams had seen him in Garbage time, his value would be much higher if he were successful.

Shanahan want the running QB?... Does Holmgren? DO the Manatee ( in Miami) want him?  Would they Given the; makeup of their team and style of their play rather have the arm of mallett than what they have now?  ONLY One ( and I'd think that would be Shanahan- given that trade) can have RG3....

ANYWAY, I think this whole discussion hinges on the value of Mallett vs the "What's left" QB's in the draft (in relationship to the needy team's needs).  DO I think any team will give up a top 10 for him....NO!  DO I think one of them might give up an early 2nd for him.... YES...  fear of failure and pressure can do that to people.

Sections
Shortcuts