Trade up to get this kid.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mojobag101. Show mojobag101's posts

Trade up to get this kid.

Going into this off season,it is very clear that the biggest problem this team needs to address is a pass rush. After watching this kid man handle offensive tackles all season long,I would love to see the Pats do everything in their power(3 2nds.2010/2 1sts 2011) to move up and grab Derrick Morgan.Only caught the tail end of last nights game but I saw a kid who was obviously gassed, still tossing linemen around and dominating his side of the field. The 2 big runs I saw were ripped off the right side of the D. This kid has it all and although Suh is the big name coming out,I'd rather take a kid like Morgan who can dominate the end position for the next decade.Of course this is assuming he will enter the draft.Morgan would make the Seymour trade look genius in hindsight. Our secondary would be markedly improved with a pass rush,but we already know that.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

Re: Trade up to get this kid.

~Mojo, Absolutely correct on the fact that we need a pass-rush, namely in at least one 3-4 DE, and quite possibly 2 OLBs.  Even MORE correct on the fact that even though N.E. just needs one 3-4 DE, THIS position goes just far too quick, and the drop-off in talent is somewhat less than the LB dropoff in talent, So N.E. should target DE first.  HOWEVER, wrong on Derrick Morgan.  At 6'4 and 270 lbs, Morgan would have to gain at the bare least, 15 and up to 30 pounds this offseason, Which Morgan could very well do since he'd have to grow at least an inch in height for him to be an ideal 3-4 DE, instead of what he IS, an ideal 4-3 DE...Now, "Can Morgan then be a 3-4 OLB," you ask?  Having the Willie Mcginest height and weight down almost perfectly, My simple answer is...um, No.  I, too Have been looking at him, and somewhat moreso, Greg Hardy as well.  Hardy is still somewhat suspect, but Morgan is a big NO, with his one fatal flaw it seems (because he really is tops in ALL else), Being that he wicked struggles when taking that hand off the ground and dropping back into coverage...  Take a look at 6'5 300 lb Penn State's Jared Odrick... Having the same high intensity, intelligence, and almost the exact same production as Derrick Morgan, Odrick has the extra size N.E. needs in a 3-4 end, so He can hold the point of attack better to free up the OLBs, while at the same time, still has a decent enough array of pass-moves to be the better QB threat than our run-stuffing Ty Warren ever has been.  PLUS, with Morgan as a top 10-15 pick, and even though I firmly believe Jared Odrick will fly up Draft Boards, With Suh, Cameron Heyward, and even Allen Bailey as 3-4 DEs, N.E., IF they HAD to move up in the 1st rd, probably wouldn't have to move up as far as taking Morgan ~Just my take on it...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

The only player I'd like to see the Patriots move up the board to get is Eric Berry.  The guy is a playmaker at safety in the Ed Reed / Troy Polamalu mold.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

From Sideline Scouting:
    Derrick Morgan - Georgia Tech (HT: 6'4" | WT: 275)
    Projection: 1st Round

Strengths:
    -Is always in the backfield getting after the QB, 12.5 sacks is 6th in nation in 2009
    -Truly a monster at his position, excellent combination of size, strength, speed and athleticism to line up at either LDE or RDE
    -Very good instincts, recognizes the plays right away
    -Statistically the best of a very good GT defensive line from a year ago
    -Does not quit on plays, will do whatever it takes to get to the ball carrier
    -Has stepped up to become a leader of the Georgia Tech defense
    -Has been moving up the draft boards so far this season
    -Was the #1 DE recruit coming out of high school in 2007

Weaknesses:
    -Needs to improve his disengagement technique and develop more counter moves
    -Needs to improve lateral quickness, is best playing at full speed
    -Does not show the ability to drop into coverage, is strictly a 4-3 DE
    -May have benefited from playing with three 2009 NFL Draft picks on the DL

Too small IMO for a 3-4 DE spot would need to add some weight or will be pushed around.  Has not coverage ability.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

Morgan is a beast, but if he was in New England it would have to be as a 3-4 outside linebacker.  He is too small for end, and even if he wasn't, that position takes him out of his biggest strength: pass rushing. Ends in the 3-4 primarily fill gaps while the linebackers rush the passer.  Morgan will most likely be a 4-3 end but if he loses a few pounds its possible he could be a 3-4 rush linebacker.  I would not be opposed to that at all. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

I don't follow college football like you guys but I was real impressed by his speed when he ran down iowa's QB from 5 yards behind on one play.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Guys I do like as a 3-4 DE:
    Jared Odrick 6'4" 298 projected 2nd round

Marvin Austin 6'3" 305 2nd rounder
    Vince Oghobaase 6'6" 300

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriots44. Show patriots44's posts

Odrick is a player the Pats should definitely take a serious look at. I think after the Senior Bowl and the combine, this guys draft stock starts rising fast.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from poopsteo. Show poopsteo's posts

Odrick will rise in  the draft, I think mid to late first round. Every year players fall and rise and right now its tough to predict.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ehop14. Show Ehop14's posts

I prefer Jerry Hughes from TCU. He seems like more of a DE/OLB hybrid to me. But either one would be a great addition to our nonexistent pass rush.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Hughes stock will continue to rise, I've read that he might end up as a top 15 pick.  I don't think he will but will be gone in late teens early 20s.  I don't think BB will move up to take him when guys like Odrick are available.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Guess what?

Next year there will be a very similar player or three within our grasp in the top 10.

Those picks that you want to trade away were hard earned, and acquired with the exact opposite philosophy/impulsive desire you put forth here.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

I agree Arodrambone.  Save the picks, there will be a ton of quality to be had.  If they see a steal and want to move up a couple spots, that is fine, but to trade away major pieces for one guys isnt what we need.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjaycee. Show jjaycee's posts

YES, #1 PRIORITY I THE DRAFT- 300LB. 6'4" BEAST DE, OR 2!!! OF THEM. AFTER THAT, 2 OLB'S- MCLAIN, (ALABAMA), AND  MORGAN- THEN TAYLOR MAYS, USC SAFETY, 6'3" 220, RODNEY HARRISON CLONE, BIG HITTER AND SURE TACKLER, YET SAVY AND SPEED ON PASS COVERAGE AND BE THE "LEADER" BACK THERE SO BADLY ABSENT SINCE RODNEY RETIRED.   

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from thejoshuatree28. Show thejoshuatree28's posts

Taylor Mays is nothing like rodney harrison, yea he hits hard, but he is not a sure tackler or good in coverage, the only things he has is speed and hitting hard. I wouldnt take Mays with a 4th round pick, there are many times where mays gos for a kill shot like he always does and the reciver or back bounces off and runs more, he also takes horrible angles to the football, god awful angles. In college his speed lets him get away with it, but in the pros he wont be a good saftey (think Roy Williams in the last couple of years in dallas). He would make a good Will Backer but we dont run a 4-3 we dont have a need for him, at all.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw. Show Philskiw's posts

I'm tired of taking safetys, take OLB's and Corners. I think Tate will be a pleasent surprise next year so we might have the 3rd receiver we need already. We need a good O-Lineman. I like Volmer one day moving to left tackle but we need a good right tackle. Kaczur has got hurt a couple times the last couple years and I'd like some depth. As much coin as we will have to pay out to mankins, wilfork and the others we should stay pat with our draft picks. In 2 or 3 years you'll say what a gread move it was having 6 or 7 secound round picks on the team. I like the value. Day 2 picks are hunches, reaches and guesses. This year all the talent is going to declare the rookie salary schedule will be a pay for performance mentality. The guys that will be avaliable in the second round for our picks will be as good as first rounders. It wouldnt surprise me to see Bill B trade our first rounder for more goodies.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mojobag101. Show mojobag101's posts

There is always a changing of philosophy when it comes which Kind of D is going to dominate a decade>You are either the trend setter and set the pace..Bears 4-6,Giants/Patriots 3-4,Pittsburgh 3-4 zone blitz........and win Super bowls,or U play catch up and hope to get lightning in a bottle and have that one magical year.I truly believe the NFL is going back to a more traditional 4-3 alignment with blitz wrinkles not unlike the 3-4 zone blitz and this is the ONLY reason Y i would take Morgan over anyone else.6-4 275 automatically means 285 at least in the pros.I think the kid has the strenght to be a GREAT 4-3 end and if the Pats are going to re sign Wilfork,A D line of Wilfork and Pryor/Brace in the middle and Morgan and Warren?/insert name at ends would give O lines fits.I totally agree with u Laz....if the Pats continue( I think mistakenly) with their 3-4 ways,then a bigger End would be my choice....I guess we'll have to wait and see which way D's are headed.....

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mojobag101. Show mojobag101's posts

P.S. why does everyone always get enamored with IDEAL SIZE!!!! The kid that plays DT in Dallas is built like an IDEAL DE and is dominating a position usually played by Fat 330 lb plus men. I love FOOTBALL Players and this kid is the real deal!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mojobag101. Show mojobag101's posts

P.S.S.     All four starting DE's voted into this yrs pro bowl play out of a 4-3 alignment...just some food for thought

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mojobag101. Show mojobag101's posts

More Food......Not a 300 pounder among them........I'll gladly admit being wrong if this kid doesn't pan out!!!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

mojo~ Check out this Lengthy BUT GOOD thought you conjured up...

"I truly believe the NFL is going back to a more traditional 4-3 alignment with blitz wrinkles not unlike the 3-4 zone blitz and this is the ONLY reason Y i would take Morgan over anyone else.6-4 275 automatically means 285 at least in the pros.I think the kid has the strenght to be a GREAT 4-3 end and if the Pats are going to re sign Wilfork,A D line of Wilfork and Pryor/Brace in the middle and Morgan and Warren?/insert name at ends would give O lines fits."

This is actually an EXCELLENT point.  After the Pats/Giants SB, I too, Have been rethinking the success of the 4-3 D verses, what had been for several years, the greater success of Belichick's 3-4 D.  I think BB, too has been rethinking his former loving alliance with the 3-4...  N.E. has seen more 4-3's this year than ANY year I remember in BB's tenure.  Belichick Drafted 3 DTs last year, And of course Brace looks like a more traditional 3-4 NT, Pryor and Daryl Richard don't have neither the ideal height, weight, or BOTH to play 3-4 DE (and they weren't drafted as 3-4 NTs obviously).

SO You're Absolutely CORRECT here, It's somewhat suspect what BB's future schematics will look like.  MORE and MORE this has become a Passing Game, and I think Bill Belichick is constantly, and HAS been constantly trying o figure out the next "Big Thing" for Defense. 

3 years ago, Belichick attempted to get the smaller, quicker, higher jumping, and excellent short-space-shuttle, Cornerbacks in Drafting Wilhite and Wheatley...So BB seemed to be trying to keep his front 7 the same, while getting more quickness, and asking his CBs to be almost solely pass-defenders, less impact players during certain running downs.

We ALL saw how 2 years ago, Bill Belichick experimented with Tank Williams as a hybrid Safety/Linebacker.  Williams was something like 6'3 and just over 200 lbs...So BB was again, keeping his 3-4 D, BUT trying to interwine having more speed to cover spread offenses, and increasingly seen 3-4 WR sets, All the while attempting to field a decent enough sized LB that isn't a HUGE run liability.

NOW, THIS year, We've seen Bill Belichick working off the same principle that the NFL is getting more pass-happy, speedier, and even smaller...  He Drafted another mid-sized Safety in Pat Chung.  NOW We see How Belichick doesn't have a true 6'1 230lb Strong Safety and another 5'11 190 lb Free Safety; He fields 2 very similiar sized Safeties, both around 5'11-6'0 and about 205-210lbs...Bill Belichick, In NOT having the standard 2 seperate positions they once were, 1 for greater run-support/blitzing (SS) and 1 for mainly deep coverage (FS), Is NOW able to disguise coverage schemes and blitzing much better.

~Ya know Mojo, I kinda don't doubt one single bit, THAT Bill Belichick might attempt much, MUCH more 4-3 sets in the future...  While the great thing BB loved about the 3-4, Is/Was that You could disguise your blitzes in the past, by bringing up ceratin Safeties, LBs, and moreso weakside pass-rushing OLBs... I would bet a decent amount of $, That Bill Belichick sees that with so much speed and passing on Offense, the 3-4 D becomes exremely limited in QB pressuring...  ALSO, With so many QB audibles, disguising blitz schemes becomes a million times harder.  Perhaps, Just perhaps, You're REALLY onto something here: 

~IF Belichick CANNOT hide blitz schemes at the line of scrimmage, Why NOT place 4 men on the line of scrimmage, who's job and overall greater skill-set is to MORE disrupt the backfield, LESS drop-into coverage sometimes, blitz, or play the run at others (like a 3-4 OLB).  In this sense, You're fielding 4 faster (less-3-4 DE run stuffing), Skilled D-Lineman ALL the time, worrying less about bringing in some amazing "Do-it-ALL" OLB(s)-who would NEVER be either as specialized as a 4-3 DE in getting QB pressure, OR as quick to the line (since the DE is already there)... Belichick can then have extra size and "weight" on the field in having 4 instead of 3 D-Lineman, WON'T have to worry about having 1 slower, bigger 6'4 OLB, and FINALLY concern himself MORE about disguising coverage schemes, in CBs and moreso-Safeties. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

What makes you think that the other team would trade with you?  If the kid is such a stud wouldn't you want him on your team?  There are so many of you clowns who say give up the farm for this player or that player.  The cost is too high and the guarantee to low.  To trade all those picks for a bust would be heart breaking. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mojobag101. Show mojobag101's posts

With 3 2nd round picks this year and 2 1st rounders next,I dont think we need to GIVE UP THE FARM in order to move up(The Pats 1st plus one of their 2nds just might suffice).It seems more and more teams are willling to trade down if a player they are targeting isnt available or if they think they can get better value later on.EVERY draft pick has the potential to be a bust so that logic makes no sense.Lets just keep stockpiling picks and draft nobody.....Then we clowns can keep our farm and our aging animals!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Another guy that interests me is Greg Romeus (6-6 270 DE, Pitt) as he'd provide a big boost to their non-existent pass rush.  He has similar size to Big Willie which would allow him to set the edge effectively vs. the run, he also appears to have the athleticism to rush standing up or in a 3 point stance.  He’s raw (only played one year of high school ball) but has shown steady progression throughout his career and was the 2009 Co-Big East Defensive Player of the year and has shown a good ability to get after the QB and make plays behind the line of scrimmage (19.5 sacks and 37.5 TFL in his career).  He’s also shown some special teams value with 3 blocked extra points in his career.  Romeus is a junior so it remains to be seen if he’ll declare, he’s currently projected to go in Rd 1 or 2 though……

The below link contains a picture of Romeus:

http://ubspectrumsports.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/pittsburgh_greg_romeus1.jpg

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

So he took Vollmer instead in the 2nd round and he hasn't been too shabby either; looks to be their LT of the future.....

Sections
Shortcuts