Trade Welker or Edelman?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TroyBrown80. Show TroyBrown80's posts

Re: Trade Welker or Edelman?

Assuming we were interested (I'm not and I don't think the team is, either) we wouldn't get much.  Edelman looks good but isn't proven.  Welker is proven, but coming off a major injury.  We wouldn't get enough for either.  If they both play this year at the level of welker last year, we could trade either for whatever we want.  I still wouldn't.  Ever.  Ever.  Ever.  Ever.  Ever.  Two of these on the field at once would be sick, Edelman at the number 2 spot and welker in the slot, Moss or Tate or price at the 1 spot, sick.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

No, but Mankins maybe. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BSII. Show BSII's posts

Trade one of the 2011 1st rounders.  Problem is there's a shortage of the 3 things Pats need:  Guards, OLB and 3-4 Ends.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lightningbrain. Show lightningbrain's posts

If everyone is right, then Welker and Edelman together would take a lot of pressure off our guards (really, I buy this too.)  Now I see Burgess is back, that helps us at OLB (and BB seems quite happy about him coming back!)
    Imagine we trade our extra 1st round pick for next year for a DE.  We traded Seymour to get that pick!
    I find it wierd that Reiss and others are talking about G Warren is going to replace Ty Warren.  Weren't they both going to start along with Vince?

In Response to Re: Trade Welker or Edelman?:
    [QUOTE]Trade one of the 2011 1st rounders.  Problem is there's a shortage of the 3 things Pats need:  Guards, OLB and 3-4 Ends.
    Posted by BSII[/QUOTE]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

How about this:  Not only No but F*ck No!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from EASON11. Show EASON11's posts

A trade will happen but it will not involve Welker or Edelman.My guess would be maybe James Sanders with Chung stepping up like he has. Burgess coming back is really a roster swopp with Warren going to IR....time will tell but I like the makeup of the defense

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

If anyone is getting traded it will be Mankins and that will be for draft pick(s). If the Pats pick up any lineman it will be from other teams roster cuts during the pre-season.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ONE-TIME. Show ONE-TIME's posts

I wouldnt trade either , no way , there both just too good. Plus theres no way we would get close to geeting the same value in return. I think both are great players for us , but Ive always thought that the slot WR for the Pats is going to get his numbers. I really believe that in our system , this postion will produce. And I know for a fact that all teams share this same train of thought. So no team would give up anything even close to fair value. Again both are great athletes for us , but Edelman is too young and unproven and WW is obviously coming off major knee surgery. And lets not forget that both are playing opposite/alongside of Randy Moss , the greatest deep threat that has everplayed in the NFL. Your talking about a guy that averages more TD's per year than Rice and a guy that gets doubled as much , if not more than 99% of the other WRs in the league. This certainly will help any WR. Plus Im of the mindset that unlike WW , Edelman doesnt just have stay in the slot. I actually think Edelman can play the X position. Obviously he's not the ideal X , but I could absolutely see it working. I would love to see a 3 WR/1TE/1RB look out of this group. Maybe even a 2 TE look w/ an umpty backfield. Edelman is faster and IMHO quicker than WW. Hes a little bigger than Wes , he has about 2-3 inches and about 15 lbs on him. Theres no way it would work long term , but I could see it working for this year for a decent number of plays a game. Plus lets not forget that we have Tate. This guy is going to be a stud for us , bet that! This kid has a great skill set And Ill say it again this kid would have been a top 10-12 pick if he didnt get hurt. Not great speed , but hes very fast , even now he has more than enough for the league. He reminds me a little bit of AJ , Q and even TO ,  plus he returns kicks. More than likely he'll stick to playing WR though. As much as I hate to say it , but Moss cant play forever and this very well could be his last season. Sorry for getting off topic , but Id love to see the Pats sign him to another 3 year deal , obviously for less money than his current contract. Maybe 3/19-20 million , I think he still has a lot left and really wants a ring. And I could see him doing work and having 1000-1200/12-15 TDs for the next 3-4 years. Anyway , we'd have a great WR corp w/ him WW , Edelman and Tate/Price. Thats way Id try and keep this group together. I really think that we can have a top 5 group this year and even better in a year or two.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

neither, they really need to have Edelman continue to grow into his position as a legit 3rd receiver. It'll be key if opponents focus on Moss and Welker. Put Hernandez or Gronk out there in motion and someone other than Brady alone in the backfield....and some interesting things may happen.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatFanInBA2. Show PatFanInBA2's posts

Trading Welker and/or Edelman makes no sense - 

From a business standpoint - they are both huge customer favorites (and paying fans are the customer)

From an appropriate compensation standpoint - like someone else said earlier - Welker is coming off a big injury and Edelman, though exceptional, is still unproven in NFL terms. Not sure what we will get for either at this time.

A good option would be to trade future picks for proven, young players - these will be VERY expensive - and you know how much BB likes to throw away future picks.

A better option might be to find Mankins a new home and get someone in return.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kebbe. Show kebbe's posts

Given that Randy's contract is up at the end of this season I cannot imagine the Pats trading Welker or edelman,they are simply to valuable to this team and would be to any other team.Frankly,I can't see them moving either man even if Moss' contract wasn't up unless some club went bezerk and offerred a top flight,relatively young DE or a pass rushing terror at OLB;then I'd be tempted.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

Are you crazy, or just plain stupid?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Sometimes I wonder if the players ever read here, and if so, what they think?  Welker probably figures he's a hero in NE, and Edelman must think he's on his way to becoming one.  Then they come here and read about how some fans want one of them traded.  So why exactly should an athlete offer a hometown discount?

I get the business side of things.  Many of us have been fans long before Brady/Welker/Moss and will continue to be fans long after they are gone.  We want what's best for our team.  That said, it would sure tick me off if I were Edelman or Welker and read a thread wanting me to be traded.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from CamBam08. Show CamBam08's posts

http://www.purpleamerican.com/2010/08/afc-east-jets-pats/ why the pats will beat the jets this year.

BB isn't going to trade any of them. Tom would sign somewhere else if wes was dealt lol.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

It was bound to come up eventually.  It would probably make more sense to wait until next year.  Welker will not get huge value until he proves he can come back from injury and Edelman is unproven (even though he has looked good in a few games).  Next year Moss could walk and Holt is on a 1 year contract so the lineup could be Price, Tate, Welker, Edelman.  That is a solid core, and may be worth waiting on.  If they let Moss walk they could use his salary to make some moves. 

I'd love to see Moss stay but until we know I don't think they should trade away these guys.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In Response to Trade Welker or Edelman?:
    [QUOTE]With gaping holes on each of the lines, and two excellent although very similar players at a relatively deep position, perhaps a trade is in order.  Which player would be preferable to trade, Welker or Edelman?  If you think trading either is unacceptable, then what is a better strategy?  Signing Mankins and Shoebel would be nice, but these signings haven't happened to this point, so let's assume they are not about to happen. I would trade Welker and assume that Edelman can fit the suit just about as well.  Edelman doesn't have the wear and tear that Welker has, and welker is a big time player who could fetch a fine return.  Welker lead the league in catches and was heavily relied upon by the Pats, but I figure these are reasons why his knee went late in the campaign.  We can't ask the same of him if he were to stay.  Edelman would fill the role on an offense with more options, and he is a bit bigger than welker despite his great quickness.
    Posted by lightningbrain[/QUOTE]

change your userid to lamebrain

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Edelman would be one of the worst possible trade decisions.  The guy has blossomed over the past winter.  Nobody else in the NFL, except perhaps the Saints, knows this, so BB wouldn't get squat in trade for the guy.

Edelman on the field will make Tom Brady happy and will help the Krafts to sign Brady to another contract.  Brady can stay here, toss the ball all day to a guy who is wide open when he isn't double-teamed, or spread the ball around to Moss, Hernandez, Gronk, Tate and of course Welker.  Even the red zone problem is solved this year.  Why on earth would Brady want to trade this position with, say, St. Louis?  Nice rib joints, but where are there jobs for supermodels in St. Louis?

No one can really predict a Super Bowl season, but this is probably a great candidate year for the Patriots.  Edelman now has experience and he's starting at WR.  When you're going somewhere, don't trade away blossoming talent for next year's picks.  This ultimately is why nobody will get traded, except Logan Mankins wants out.

As for trading Welker, BB knows that Welker has recovered.  The rest of the league and all the pundits assumed that Welker would be lucky to see the field in November.  Welker is currently quite undervalued by the rest of the league. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

I see it as a compliment to Welker and Edelman and also to the depth of the receiving corps that these trades are even mentioned here.

But, I agree with most that this talk is foolhardy.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

[QUOTE]this is such a ridiculous thread.
    Posted by artielang[/QUOTE]

Not at all.

What's ridiculous is failing to even consider a trade proposal before you even know who you'd be getting in return.

You have to give up quality to get quality. We're going nowhere this year without Dline help. We're deep at the slot position. Makes perfect sense to me to trade  one of those slot receivers for quality Dline help. Even more so now that we've lost warren for the year. 

With Edelman ready to fill in, I'd trade Welker for a Schobel (yes, I know he's a free agent. This is a hypothetical) in a heartbeat. Likewise for Luis Castillo, Glenn Dorsey or Darnell Dockett. I'm not saying we're likely to get any of these three but would I make the trade? You bet.

Never say never.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I was following you and could see your side of it until you mentioned trading Welker for Schoebel. Even if Schoebel was employed by a team (which as you know he is not), there is no way on god's green earth I would trade the best slot WR in football, for a 4-3 DE....especially when we have Burgess, TBC, Cunningham and could probably drop in a few other names to play 4-3 DE. 

Luis Castillo?..Nope...Glenn Dorsey?...no way....Darnell Dockett?...I have to think about that one....

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paulawht63. Show Paulawht63's posts

NO WAY Pats cannot trade either one of these players they are way to valluable to the team Just sign Mankins back if we don't have any other choice But makes sure he apologizes to the Team and the Fans They at least deserve that from the PIG HEAD MANKINS

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from crasian. Show crasian's posts

In Response to Trade Welker or Edelman?:
    Posted by lightningbrain[/QUOTE]

That's just crazy talk! With Moss on a walk year you need all these young guys to develop and take over. In the Super Bowl years you had Brady spreading the throws out to 3 different Rec., a tightend and a good crew of backs. Brady's favorite guy was the open one... remember? We need to get back to that. No trades! Gaffney was a huge loss last year. You need 3 good rec. !

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Trade Welker or Edelman? : Not at all. What's ridiculous is failing to even consider a trade proposal before you even know who you'd be getting in return. You have to give up quality to get quality. We're going nowhere this year without Dline help. We're deep at the slot position. Makes perfect sense to me to trade  one of those slot receivers for quality Dline help. Even more so now that we've lost warren for the year.  With Edelman ready to fill in, I'd trade Welker for a Schobel (yes, I know he's a free agent. This is a hypothetical) in a heartbeat. Likewise for Luis Castillo, Glenn Dorsey or Darnell Dockett. I'm not saying we're likely to get any of these three but would I make the trade? You bet. Never say never.  
    Posted by unclealfie[/QUOTE]

Not trying to offend you but this is the worst idea I have ever read on this forum. As a matter of fact any of the above mentioned players but especially Glenn Dorsey with his 2 career sacks. Did you consume large amounts of alcohol before posting this?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from GadisRKO. Show GadisRKO's posts

Trade Wes Welker or Edelman? No, HELL NO!!!

If Welker returns and our offensive playmakers stay healthy, this offense will dominate. Have fun figuring out how to cover Moss, Welker, Edelman, Gronkowski and Maroney in the redzone. This offense has the potential to be a beast, kind of like 2007 but more diverse. If Brady spreads the ball around and goes back to his "whichever receiver is open" mentality, this offense really has no limits on how good it can be.

We have Moss, albeit older, but still one of the best deep threats in the league. Wes Welker is a machine in the slot with Edelman, his quicker, taller, less experienced understudy. A physical specimen in Gronkowski, a versatile Hernandez and speedsters Holt and Tate. Throw in Torry Holt, a precise route runner, and we have every kind of weapon possible/needed to have a top 3 offense.

If defenses are worrying about Moss, Welker and Edelman, it should take some pressure off the running game. As we saw against the Saints, we have some talented Run Blockers in Gronk and Dan C.

This offense is only limited by inexperience and how healthy its playmakers are.

As for a gaping hole on the D-line? I have to disagree with the OP. Our D-line is no worse off then it was last year. Ty was great when healthy but borderline ok when injured, and he was injured, A LOT. I believe our D-line will be fine as long as no one else gets injured badly.

I would be ok with BB trading some of our picks for a stud DE, but I doubt he would. The only trade I see in the near future is the one that sends Mankins out for a draft pick or two.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Seastixholdersince1971. Show Seastixholdersince1971's posts

ARE YOU KIDDING ME. This guy has 47 posts and this has to be the stupiest post ever. Def a poster that doesnt understand football

Sections
Shortcuts