Trading a player, like Amendola

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Trading a player, like Amendola

When a team trades a player does that players contract come of the books completely?  I understand if the player is on the current team during/after manadatory pay outs it will be on the trading teams cap, but what is the future implications of the players contract after he is dealt?    

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Re: Trading a player, like Amendola

Amounts paid by the trading team (signing bonuses for instance), continue to count against the trading team's cap.  Amounts not paid by the trading team (base pay for the upcoming season, for instance) count against the acquiring team's cap.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

His contract goes with him I believe and the new team would then have a chance to restructure it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

Amounts paid by the trading team (signing bonuses for instance), continue to count against the trading team's cap.  Amounts not paid by the trading team (base pay for the upcoming season, for instance) count against the acquiring team's cap.

Let's look at Amendola's contract.

2014:

Base salary: $3 million ($2 million fully guaranteed)

Cap hit: $4,543,750

Cash value: $3.5 million

Roster bonus: $500,000

If he is traded today, what are Pats on hook for?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to Getzo's comment:

2014:

If the Pats traded Amendola, they'd have a cap hit of 4.8 million.  That's the portion of the $6 million signing bonus they've paid him that hasn't yet been applied against the cap.  The Pats paid that money, so they will have to account for it against their cap. Timimg of the trade would make a difference on whether they'd have to account for that $4.8 million this coming year or the year afterward.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from csylvia79. Show csylvia79's posts

2014:

Really depends on trade terms because I beleave  orginal team can still be on the hook for some or all of the signing bonus money  and some of the current contract.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to csylvia79's comment:

2014:

Really depends on trade terms because I beleave  orginal team can still be on the hook for some or all of the signing bonus money  and some of the current contract.

Basically, money you pay (or have paid) has to count against your cap.  Since the Pats paid the signing bonus, the whole signing bonus counts against the Pats' cap. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

He aint going anywhere.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

The dead money is even worse if the Pats cut Amendola, because 2 million of his base salary this coming year is guaranteed.  If they trade Amendola, the acquiring team picks up that guaranteed 2 million.  If they cut him, the Pats have to pay that 2 million.  For this reason, I don't think Amendola will be cut (he creates 6.8 million in dead money if he's cut).  He could be traded, but even then he creates 4.8 million in dead money.  

Personally, I think Wazzu is right.  We're stuck with this guy next year.  His cap hit is actually lower (about 4.6 million) if we keep him than if we trade him.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

The dead money is even worse if the Pats cut Amendola, because 2 million of his base salary this coming year is guaranteed.  If they trade Amendola, the acquiring team picks up that guaranteed 2 million.  If they cut him, the Pats have to pay that 2 million.  For this reason, I don't think Amendola will be cut (he creates 6.8 million in dead money if he's cut).  He could be traded, but even then he creates 4.8 million in dead money.  

Personally, I think Wazzu is right.  We're stuck with this guy next year.  His cap hit is actually lower (about 4.6 million) if we keep him than if we trade him.  

I actually don't think that's true, Pro. This article seems to lay it out rather plainly, and it would appear those numbers are off. I was of your thinking as well, but it would appear we were both wrong. Check out this link:

http://www.patsfans.com/salary-cap/?p=98#.UxKjwvRdVLo

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to dreighver's comment:

I actually don't think that's true, Pro. This article seems to lay it out rather plainly, and it would appear those numbers are off. I was of your thinking as well, but it would appear we were both wrong. Check out this link:

http://www.patsfans.com/salary-cap/?p=98#.UxKjwvRdVLo

If it's true that the $2 million 2014 base salary guarantee doesn't kick in until March 11, then trading or cutting Amendola before March 11, leaves only $4.8 in dead money.  The question then becomes whether the full $4.8 million gets accounted for in 2014 or whether it gets split between 2014 and 2015. That's where timing of the deal comes into play.  Basically, deals that happen before June 2 get accounted for in 2014, but those that occur after June 1 get accounted for in 2015.  There is, however, a rule that gives teams the option to treat up to two players cut or traded before June 2 as if they were cut or traded after June 1.  If you look at all those scenarios in the article you quote, the total dead money adds up to either 4.8 million or 6.8 million as I said. Whether that dead money is accounted for in 2014, 2015, or some combination depends on the timing of the deal. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from OlderbutWiser. Show OlderbutWiser's posts

There is a rumor that Ravens are interested in acquiring Amendola for a late round draft choice, 6th or 7th round. Pats are considering trade with Ravens if they believe they can also cut Edelman and sign Larry Fitzgerald....read it today in digital journal and sportsworldreport. Something may be afoot with Pats trying to create enough cap space...Fitzgerald may be a cap loss for the Cardinals and he is expensive.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Amendola is un tradable.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:

Amendola is un tradable.

Do you really believe that NMPL?  I'm not so sure.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:

Amendola is un tradable.

Do you really believe that NMPL?  I'm not so sure.

If the Patriots are REALLY ACTUALLY trying to trade Amendola it's tells the rest of the league that the Pats made a mistake in signing him.

So when you are trying to trade a mistake what possible leverage do you bring to the table? You don't have any. Even if the Pat's asked for very little why would a team want his contract?

His CAP hit really make it likely he won't get cut this year.

I think he stays.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I agree he most likely stays, but the cap hit is not that harsh if the deal is dated properly. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

I agree he most likely stays, but the cap hit is not that harsh if the deal is dated properly. 

The cap hit in a trade will be 4.8 million no matter what, but if the deal happens after June 1, it can reduce the cap hit for 2014 to 1.2 million and move the remaining 3.6 million to 2015.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Wow, the pats really screwed this one up (kind of explains why Jon Kraft keeps running around telling the world why Welker made a mistake of leaving). We are left with a guy we don't want, with a contract we can't just dump and with a need that needs to be filled. So not only did we lose Welker (and get this guy), but we may also lose Edelman (because of this guy)...not good. There's always the chance Amendola stays healthy and will start getting separation against 4th string conerbacks, but I'm not holding my breath.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

It looks like DA's contract is structured to keep him here 3 years. They built game incentives into his contract so you won't know what the total bonus dollars are until the completion of each season. It looks like 2016 would be the first oppotunity to get out of the contract with some cap relief. If he plays out the 3 years in full it looks like the deal was for 3 years in the 13/14 range.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

In response to OlderbutWiser's comment:

There is a rumor that Ravens are interested in acquiring Amendola for a late round draft choice, 6th or 7th round. Pats are considering trade with Ravens if they believe they can also cut Edelman and sign Larry Fitzgerald....read it today in digital journal and sportsworldreport. Something may be afoot with Pats trying to create enough cap space...Fitzgerald may be a cap loss for the Cardinals and he is expensive.

Fitzgerald already restructured his contract to stay in Arizona. Also, all the folks in this thread are taking these media rumors a little to seriously. Did the Pats float DA's name? Probably, like they do most anybodys name to see what is or isnt available. Dont think that means BB is admitting a huge mistake or that he suc ks as a GM.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Would be foolish to trade him, the Pats aren't in a good cap position to be adding more dead money to it.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

The Pats are foolish if they believe they can survive with just Amendola or Edelman, both are injury prone and neither is reliable.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:

Would be foolish to trade him, the Pats aren't in a good cap position to be adding more dead money to it.

I agree 100%.  This is nothing more than a rumor.  Danny will be playing for the Pats for at least 1 more season.  Just hope his health holds up reasonably and that he can be effective.  The dude can play when he isn't hampered with a groin injury.  And people, please...the Fitzgerald pipe dream is getting ridiculous.  No way is he coming here.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Yeah, Fitz isn't coming through these doors.  I don't even entertain that idea.  Not possible. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

The cap hit in a trade will be 4.8 million no matter what, but if the deal happens after June 1, it can reduce the cap hit for 2014 to 1.2 million and move the remaining 3.6 million to 2015.  

Yes, I was referencing an out right release for the cap hit. Rumor has it that next years cap will be $137M.

2 months ago the thought was that an out right release would result in a cap hit of $4.8M from a $123M cap (.039%). Now the hit this year would be $1.2M from a $133M cap(.009%) and next year $3.6M from a $137 cap. ( .026%)

Sections
Shortcuts