Trading Down?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mlmka. Show mlmka's posts

Trading Down?

If we trade the 22 pick to TB for their 35 and 42 and a second rounder next year.
    ( this balances out on the draft value chart) that would give us 5 2nd rounders this year and 2 firsts and 2 seconds next year. It's such a hit and miss with the first rounders and there should be a rookie cap in place next year. What do you think.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from msteven. Show msteven's posts

Re: Trading Down?

Trade Vince to TB for a first this year and a first next year

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from N464Mex-N460A. Show N464Mex-N460A's posts

If this draft is very deep, like people say, that would make the draft value chart meaninglss

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Why would you want to trade down?  You don't do it for the sake of doing it, for the sake of extra picks.  It's about getting yourself in position to draft the guys you want. 

The Pats will not move down because there will be something there that they will want.  There is an outside chance of Sapp and Dwyer being there.  These are two needs for the Pats that I don't think they would pass on.  There are a couple of OTs, Odrick and Graham that I don't think they would pass on either because they are needs. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Oh god not trading down again! Every year I sit there waiting for them to pick and they trade down, it makes me want to throw up. I swear this team is trying to gather 90 picks for the 2015 draft just in case.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SICOFITALL. Show SICOFITALL's posts

Gary, Odrick and Graham(from Mich) play DT and DE/OLB. Hey listen Ive been screaming the past couple years about this team trading down. The 05'-09' drafts are killing this team and are/will hurt us in the future. Last year was the last straw for me, first we could have moved up ONE slot and grabbed Harvin. IMHO hes what Reggie Bush should have been except hes a receiver. I think hes going to be a great slot rec. and eventually can play the X position, I think he can become a very good all around rec. You bring him out of the backfield for screens and a toss play to the outside. Give him a reverse or fake reverse, hes so expolsive the threat alone makes you account for him everywhere he his. Oh yea hes not bad returning punts either. Ok we pass on him, so Im thinking were going to take Matthews. Great, we take him and we'll have a shot at Maualuga/Laurinaitis. I was absolutely amazed we missed them both. Most people on here really have no idea what their talking about and know nothing about football. All year people were screaming about our pass rush, and yes we need one, but D-End, ILB and our secondary were just as bad. Not having a solid guy who can play End in the thirty four D will kill us until we get one. Teams made no secret of the fact that they were going to run at Seys side, the Ravins did it just as everyone else did all year. And the ILB position was just as bad as the OLB, backs got the edge and hit holes up the middle without even thinking twice. Mayo, Guytan, etc were either to slow, didnt wrap up and just did  shity job of diagnosing plays. Same thing with Meriweather, poor angles, poor tackling, and bad job reading the offense. Last year we could have filled two major needs at I/OLB, will still need both today. Having said all that if we cant get a stud at 22 trading down to say 33-35 might be the way to go.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

The better profit is usually in trading out.  A first rounder goes for a second rounder this year plus another first rounder next year, a second rounder this year for a first next year, a third for a second, and so on.

What's an extra seventh rounder worth?  A Matt Cassell?  An Edelman?  A Myron Pryor (6th)?  A Brady (6th)?  Or a throwaway player, you never know.  When you have a deeper than normal scouting department as the Patriots do, a 7th rounder means that you get first pick at all the undrafted free agents, and probably only you know who's actually pretty good.  So the Pats will collect a few sevens for good use. 

If no one is currently offering an arm and a leg (a QB and a kicker) for your pick, then trade down about five places for a very small profit.  Almost always, one of the 31 other teams wants to jump on some guy and will make a slightly profitable offer, but the Pats want to wait for the big cash-in.  Sooner or later someone will make that wonderful trade-out offer.  So trade, trade, trade.  A deep draft this year means that 31 other teams won't want to trade, so BB will ask for a higher price this year.  He'll get it, too!

Exception:  if that absolutely golden boy is just hanging and the scouts sing his praises, grab him

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SICOFITALL. Show SICOFITALL's posts

Id love for us to trade up and grab someone around 12-16. I love McClain and ILB is a major need. Smart, tough, athletic, versatile, IMHO he can do it all. Im tired and dont even want to get into the PATS draft mistakes, 05'-09' is killing this team.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I know a lot of folks think that trading down is not a wise path and it is disheartening waiting around for the pick to come then only to find our team has trade either down and out of the first round or down several picks. I think the best scenario would be for them to trade Vince for a high first round pick and in that case they could maybe get a player of the caliber of Haden or Spiller. What are the odds that trde vince for a first and a second or third? You never know because it only takes one team too be interested in Big Vince.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

I'm not sick of the approach we take at all.  Of all the first round picks, a few are wins, alot are losses, and those losses come at a price thats higher than a second round player.  wouldn't be suprised at trading down, or out, waiting for the rookie caps next year and simply working with the less expensive 2nd and 3rd rounders.  This year we were a BIT off.  Not WAY off.  One good reciever, one good corner.  One pass rusher.  I'm ok with waiting and seeing what Bill can do in the draft and FA.  No panic at all, I'm sure it will be good.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

I don't see them trading down because there is so much depth this draft. RB, OLB/DE, OL all 5 spots, and CB. I am pretty sure they pick at 22 or maybe even move up as much as 10 spots to get a player if they really want to because you have to remember 2011 they have two #1's and there will be a new "cap" on rookies. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

bobbysu, how do you know Hadden is a shutdown corner?  They are a rare breed.  Yes at the moment (pre combine) he is by far the best coming out, but this is considered a weak CB class.  So we grab the best of the worst?  I too want a 5'11" to 6'1" corner at about 205, that can cover and tackle.  Infact I still miss Ty Law in his prime, what a site to see.  But those guys are rare, and many still fail due to being mental patients, dumb as a box of rocks,  etc. 
    Almost every year we get to discuss more picks than fans of most teams due to how BB and the Pats make their trades.  I LOVE THAT.  Most teams would kill for the 2 extra 2nd rd picks we have this year.  This is a talented draft, just not at CB.  Not too many BB ideal OLBs, but still a ton of great OLBs there to be had if he expands his criteria a little bit.  Very deep on OL and DL, ILB is pretty good.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

If we trade the 22 pick to TB for their 35 and 42 and a second rounder next year.
    ( this balances out on the draft value chart) that would give us 5 2nd rounders this year and 2 firsts and 2 seconds next year. It's such a hit and miss with the first rounders and there should be a rookie cap in place next year. What do you think.

sounds like a great idea to me. it would set us up for next year and there are some great players available in the 2nd round.

Sergio Kindle OLB (texas), Brandon Spikes ILB (Florida), Greg Romeus DE (Pitt), Vladimir Ducasse OG/RG (U Mass), Toby Gerhart RB (Stanford)Best RB, Dexter McCluster, RB/WR (Ole Miss) Jermaine Gresham TE (Oklahoma),  Jerry Hughes OLB (TCU) , Ciron Black OT (LSU), etc. someone is bound to slide into the 2nd round and we  would have 5 chances to get them.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriots1a2. Show patriots1a2's posts

The pats will use there picks this year and get into trading picks next year with there two firsts.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

You'd have to assume that most teams are aware of the potential depth in this draft class, so they may not be willing to trade up.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from DBCoach. Show DBCoach's posts

that why we don't win now.... I say trade up

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from gfkr2. Show gfkr2's posts

Haven't seen the JETS trading down as of late....and look at the results. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

I think BB will do a Goerge Costanza this year, do the opposite of what he did last year

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from teegee. Show teegee's posts

Would be great but TB has a lot of holes to fill; think they'ed be more likely to trade down.

Sections
Shortcuts