Trading into 2010 for Suh

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohyes. Show ohyes's posts

Re: Trading into 2010 for Suh

As for Suh. He's way out of our reach.
    As for taking the big risk. Go with your gut. Knowing bust's can come at any pick.
    If it's trading down I'd say. If you can't use it to move up in the next draft. Then I'd just pick. Quit picking up these 50 late round guy's.
    We all know that LB's in the 3-4 must be playmaker's. So that might be the 4 spot's I'd say this D could reach for.

Not to get into who would have or would'nt have been there in last year's draft. We could be watching Micheal Oher ( took By Ravens with the pick we traded to them )& Seabass ( Most everyone said he was a huge reach where he was taken).That would have set us at tackle for at least the next four year's.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohyes. Show ohyes's posts

Maritime
    Let's hope
    1. We do tag and trade Wilfork.
    2.He draws more interest than Cassel and Vrabel.
    3. Between Wright,Pryor and Brace. We can rotate and take up the slack.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

I hope we keep Wilfork.  He is a known quantity, we know how good he is.  Suh looks great but so did so many before him that failed in the pros.  One never knows. 
    Signings wise, to questions the AT signing is a joke.  We all were super thrilled when we got him as a FA.  So yes, hind sight is 20/20, but not a single person complained back then. 
    Draft wise, I want OLBs!!! and maybe a corner on D.  A OG and RB on O and maybe a WR if we cant get a nice one in FA.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

It could be argued that Suh is the best defensive linemen to come out in the last 5 years. I can't recall the last DLinemen to finish as high as Suh did in Heisman voting (Wistrom ?) . He is also considered by many to be the best NFL ready prospect in the draft. He'll go in the top 3, regardless of who is picking when. I can't foresee the PAts trading to get him. Players like Dwyer, Hughes, Wooten, and MAthews will be on the radar, but it is very difficult for me to foresee a situation where the Pats get Suh. I'd love for it to happen, but I just don't see it. You could make an argument that Suh is the best DL to come out in the last five years, therefore, the Pats would not be the only team that covets his services. Heck it is already being said that Suh is the best player in this draft.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

posted at 12/24/2009 10:05 AM EST
    First: 12/20/2007
    Last: 12/24/2009

As for Suh. He's way out of our reach.
    As for taking the big risk. Go with your gut. Knowing bust's can come at any pick.
    If it's trading down I'd say. If you can't use it to move up in the next draft. Then I'd just pick. Quit picking up these 50 late round guy's.
    We all know that LB's in the 3-4 must be playmaker's. So that might be the 4 spot's I'd say this D could reach for.

Not to get into who would have or would'nt have been there in last year's draft. We could be watching Micheal Oher ( took By Ravens with the pick we traded to them )& Seabass ( Most everyone said he was a huge reach where he was taken).That would

This is the Key..Every draft pick and every free agent is a risk. The reason why certain guys cost more is because they are less of a risk or have much more potential. If you go to the horse track and bet 3, 10-1 shots in a race then you have tripled your chances of winning right?  Wrong, you are most likely going to get beat by a horse that is 4-1 or less. This is Football and I want my money on the favorite because when the favorite is coached well he is going to outperform the competition 80-90% of the time. That's why some franchises never do anything.We haven't added any star talent to this defense in many years. Even Mayo has seriously underperformed for what my expectations were. I'll root for the Pats no matter what they do but it's time to change our philosophy a bit as this "D" has been in decline for the last 4 years and it doesn't look like it's getting any better to me.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsGhost. Show RedsGhost's posts

Can we just shut down this idiotic thread? BB isn't going to blow huge chunks of cash on Suh in 2010. A well managed team wouldn't put their eggs in one basket. IF Suh is a bust, then our team is screwed for several if not many years because we probably lost Fork along the way and blew upwards of 65 million on ONE player. Why do you think Detriot, St Louis, Oakland and until recently, the Bengals have perennially been in the top 5 and yet NE,Indy and Pitts have consistently picked between 26-32 ( and in NE case a missed #1 pick) and still maintained a top notch team?
    The SMART GM/coach will wait and use the 2011 pick after a rookie scale is in place and trust me, this is amongst the top 2 or 3 items the NFL wants to fix, so it WILL be fixed before any agreement is in place. I'll take a Top 4 or 5 pick at say 8-10 million in 2011 while taking the chance he won't be a bust. If he is? Then it'll be much easier to recover than the Suh and 2010 scenerio and 65 blown millions and losing Wilfork.
    So, please Mod's, can we cap this thread?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MaritimePatsFan. Show MaritimePatsFan's posts

Ohyes, I think BB is smart enough to not just let Wilfork walk. He either signs him long term, franchises him and keeps him or tag and trade. No way he just lets him walk. Some fans talk about how it is unfair to tag guys and this and that. Some were saying Cassel had paid his dues last year and Bill should do the right thing and let him choose where he wants to go. The people that say this are not real fans because you are now rooting for individual players and not the team I love. Tagging players and getting compensation makes MY TEAM better. That's all I care about.

As for what he will draw in compensation, gotta think it will be tops. I mean it depends on whether Wilfork signs the tag early or late. Early means more time to manuever and pit teams against each other. I still think it will be of the 1st round variety. Maybe a first and a third.

To those that were saying he is a proven commodity. He has proven he can play against the run. He is not a good pass rusher which means too much money for a player that in today's pass happy NFL really should only be on the field for 1 out of 4 possible downs.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from angel3781. Show angel3781's posts

Not only are we not going to throw #1 pick money at Suh, but we also aren't going to basically hand over all/most of our top picks during the next two drafts just for the opportunity to throw insane amounts of cash at Suh (talk about a Herchel Walker type of trade)!!!

Besides, this team is not just one player away from being a SB favorite.  And to the guys saying that we should trade/not sign Wilfork, let's be for real!  Wilfork is one of, if not the best at what he does period.  You don't want to go with a NT by commitee when you already have a stud NT that is still only 26 yrs old.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

-tagandtrade
    moving forward let assume there is no cap pertaining to next year...

btw-

jumping up to 5 would allow us to sign SUH to a 6 year deal so at least we would get a lengthy contract at a lower cost than the bext FA available in that position

I don't have a respond to button any more.  What happened here?

I doubt that you would be able to sign Suh cheaper.  That top 5 pick has gotten very expensive.  It affects the cap numbers significantly.  You can't use a non-cap year as an excuse to sign him either because you have to look at when the cap comes back into effect.  Just because you have an uncapped year doesn't mean you can free spend.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from nickelbean. Show nickelbean's posts

I live in Nebraska so i've seen every nebraska game this year and i've never seen anything like Suh.  without him on the team we would have a horrible defense.  He makes every body else on the defense better.  I would be estatic if the Patriots traded up for him.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

EST

First: 8/23/2009
    Last: 12/24/2009
    I live in Nebraska so i've seen every nebraska game this year and i've never seen anything like Suh.  without him on the team we would have a horrible defense.  He makes every body else on the defense better.  I would be estatic if the Patriots traded up for him.

Sing it my man..I've been a husker fan for 35 years. If this guy played for Boston College and the average fan got to see him play every week out here they would give up the farm for him. This isn't just another great college lineman, he's better than any lineman in years and most likely better than anyone for years. This guy is special and the best "D" lineman Nebraska has ever had. There is no such thing as a "sure thing" but Suh is as close as they come.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Tradew Wilfork, and make every effort to get Suh. I watched this guy eat up the Big 12 all season long. THis is the best defensive player to come out in years 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Spetznaz24. Show Spetznaz24's posts

Maybe there will be a guy like Darrel Revis or Nnamdi Asoumgua in the 2011 draft. If so, the Patriots cannot afford not to take a guy like that.  Put Revis on our team opposite Bodden and this defense would be unstoppable.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tagandtrade. Show tagandtrade's posts

If SUH is what everyone say he is he is worht a jump this year if we can sign him to a 60 million dollar deal with 25 million guaranteed that would be 40 million dollars less than the contract extended to Haynesworth...

Taging Wilfork and trading him to a team like the Packer who have cappers and could use a 3-4 nose would be wise.

We would receive either two first or in a sign and trade deal a 1st and 2nd this year.

Thah would give us 2 picks in the 20 to 30 range and three picks in the second

If we could move up and get SUH we could play a one gap offset 3-4 with SUH elephanting to strong side on every play... he would consume a tackle, TE and a put a back in the backfield so wright warren would reak havoak on the other side

I agree Sapp would be a better fit phisically than Hughes

so the line would look like so

Warren, (brace/Prior/Adams) SUH
    Wright                               Green (if he stays)
    Sapp        Guyton       Mayo     Crable
    Butler     Chung     Meriwheater     Wilhite

Cut springs and Thomas
    Retain McGowan and Bodden

Let light and Neal Walk

Sign Mankins

Draft Mathews, Spillner, Tebow (if he falls to late 2nd)

SUh is not too much did you guys see how much money if falling off our Cap

we are clearing almost 35 million and we just replaced 9 vetrans with rookies and FA's this year

Next year 4 good rookies and a couple stud FA's will solidify the whole defense

i still think we need to trade for a veteran WR or sign a FA like Boldin

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joakimbrian. Show Joakimbrian's posts

I dont think we should trade for Suh
    We should just keep Wilfork, cuz we know what he is capable of doing and not.
    Wilfork is good at rushing the runner, then we should get another guy who is good at ruhing the passer. This is playing safe! Suh could/could not be a bust.
    We should get a True OLB/DE player, who can give us the sacks we need!
    We should not draft a CB, We have enough CB's with not so much experience or impact. Darius Butler will be alot better just give him time.
    I dont even know why Shawn Springs is doing on the team? Cut him
    CB's to keep Butler, Whilhite, Wheatly, & Leigh Bodden.( We should get a decent CB just for the depth )
    As for Safeties We are covered! Chung i gonna improove tremendously i hope! He got potential.
    LB's
    Cut: Pierre or Shawn Crable, Adalius, Seau and Derrick Burgess
    Keep: Mayo, Pierre Or Crable, Ninkovich & Tully Banta-Cain
    As for the D-Line Keep, Wilfork, Wright, Warren, Myron & Brace. We should get a DE from the draft or Free Agency
    Cut Jarvis Green (If there is a DE like Mario Williams, Cut Warren in 2011 And Draft a starting DE
    As for the RB's Keep Maroney, Benjarvus Green-Ellis & Kevin Faulk ( He has good hands )
    Cut Tayor & Morris, we need to get young in the backfield!
    As for the WR's Randy Moss  ( has lost a step i think but we should keep him untill he loses another step ) Wes Welker, Julian Edelman. We should get a true 3 WR. I hope Tate will be ready to strap up next year!

Meriweather needs to step up and be more physical and we need to get our DB's toughend up!
    We need to get healthy, thats important aswell!
    The playcalling should be better and we could use Charlie Weiss's help.

Sections
Shortcuts