Trends that will effect the Draft

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Army2LT. Show Army2LT's posts

Trends that will effect the Draft

Has anyone noticed a shift in the way elite teams play?  Since this is a copycat league, the obvious position that I believe will be a top priority in April will be TE.  Even though the TEs coming out this year are not the most talented bunch, I believe a couple will sneek into the first round.  Gronkowski, JHernandez, immy Graham, and Vernon Davis have really changed this position.

Other than TE, have you noticed any change in another position or is one more/less valuable today that it was say 5 years ago?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from painter. Show painter's posts

Re: Trends that will effect the Draft

Gronkowski might go down as "the one that got away" from all of the teams picking in the first round, fortunately not including the Patriots. Potentially, he's a true game changer, no "a" game changer but "the" game changer as Army2LT points out. Hernandez is good and he's versatile, but Gronk is a bigger-than-life player (literally and fuguratively) capable of dominating an entire defense. What defensive back can defend him? What linebacker can stay with him? And, even if a defender plays him well, Gronkowski will still catch the ball. Watching him do what he does, game after game, makes him the perfect complement to Tom Brady, no offense to Wes Welker. Wes won't catch and then drag two guys another 8-9 yards like this kid can. Even Hernandez isn't a monster like Gronk is. I'd hate to be a d'back on the other side just thinking about how to defend Gronkowski - Nightmare City - then there's the sight of him smiling at you as he lines up. Gulp. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dmcpatsfan. Show dmcpatsfan's posts

Gronk is something special for sure...however I believe him having Hernandez playing opposite of him just allows him to be that much better & vise versa...they are 2 excellent young talents that compliment each others styles & abilities...by far a matchup nightmare for opposing D's to try to cover & with welker in the slot it's almost unfair....just immagine if the Patriots had a guy with Desean Jacksons speed on the outside...it just wouldn't be fair!!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Seems like sometimes a draft gets this rep of Oh, it's a good draft for Dlineman, or WRs or QBs or whatever and teams over pursue. Yeah some are better than others but when a team gets caught up in hey we need to get a Dlineman in this draft or whatever before they're gone and next thing you know they're drafting the 5th or 6th best Dlineman in the first round who's maybe not as good as the first best Olineman or WR who still hasn't been taken. You look at last year and we keep hearing it's not a good draft for RBs and there may not be one in the first round so everybody ignores them and next thing you know it's the third round and only 5 RBs have been taken as opposed to 15 WRs and there are guys like Helu, Murray, and Ridley sitting there. Where if you had grabbed the 15th best college WR of the year he's pretty much a guaranteed JAG if he couldn't even be a top ten player in college. I know this has nothing to do with what you're talking about but it had me thinking. And yeah, you're probably right teams will over pursue TEs trying to copycat the Pats and end up with Jags.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

I think Hernandez also slipped because of his size.  As for the topic at hand I think it will be interesting to see how the rookie wage scale affects trading up behavior.  On the one hand it makes it more attractive to teams looking to trade up from a salary perspective, but it also makes it more expensive because the team looking to deal will be more willing to pick in the spot they are in because the salary commitment is not so huge.  It will be interesting to see what BB in particular does this coming draft given his proclivity for moving around the board and to see how this new wage scale changes the equation for him and the rest of the FO.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChasaB. Show ChasaB's posts

The only way i could tackle gronk is by hitting him with my car.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Army2LT. Show Army2LT's posts

Another trend that I've been thinking about is at the QB position.  There are currently 3 QBs seen as 1st round talent.  Is there a chance like last year were suddenly the number of QBs jumped due to the fact that this is a QB driven league?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

The only trends I've seen with any consistancy the past couple of years is background checks be it medical or off field issues.  Teams are getting pretty tough on medical issues and are tightening up on off field issues.  Bowers and Cannon fell a group. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SANPAT. Show SANPAT's posts

In response to "Re: Trends that will effect the Draft":
    The only way i could tackle gronk is by hitting him with my car. Posted by ChasaB
    Car? U kidding? You atleast need an all american midsuze pickup truck

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Hernandez slid, IIRC, because of the pot smoking allegation, which is usually overrated mush. Is anyone really shocked that a college kid smoked pot? The vast majority of college players probably do .... they also drink ... and chase tail. That's news. 

Gronk and Hernandez are second generation of a change that's been coming though. We are just witnessing the culmination of what's happening vis-a-vis rule changes and the improvement of athletes. 

Under modern rules players with the triangle numbers (both unique) of Gronk and Hernandez become very difficult to cover. 

Lastly, copying NE will be difficult. Finding one TE as good as either player is crazy hard, let alone two. 

I don't think we will see any copycat 2TE offenses -- in fact, I sincerely hope Ne can get both of them re-upped because the offense is unique and they have gained such a rapport together. It would be a shame to break this unit up. 

We will continue to see people looking for Gronk and Hernandez type players because they pose matchup problems. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from aytee. Show aytee's posts

Interesting thread.  I agree with Z, I don't think anyone will be able to copy out two TE attack, just because of how rare and good Gronk and Hernandez are.  That doesn't mean they won't try, though... I expect lots of wasted picks on so-so TE's this year Smile

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dmcpatsfan. Show dmcpatsfan's posts

AFTER next years season many on here will realize that Bill had a great draft in getting both Ridley & Vereen...they will be an AWESOME tandem next year along with Woodhead....I hope BJGE stays but I see him going for more money...

Mallett 3 years from now will be the next Patriot franchise QB....as long as he stays patient...

Cannon along with Solder were great pieces to the long term puzzle as well...

I really loved our draft for the most part but struggles with both the Ras-I pick as well as not taking a chance on Mark Herzlick in the 7th...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I could see some shifts in a few ways/areas. A lot of teams play 34, so maybe, just maybe there will be some decent 43 players that slip (although I won't hold my breath on that one).

The stricter enforcement of the 5 yard bump rule may lead to the importance of corners that are a bit smaller, but with tighter hips to run and turn...I think that may explain why Belichick drafted so many undersized corners over the last few years (although McCourty and Dawling don't fall into that category).

I think the tight end position has always been highly valued in the draft, it's just that there hasn't always been guys that were complete enough to go very high.

Picking a running back in the top ten has got to be one of the scariest things a GM can be faced with...you have to pay a guy that gets tackled by half the defense every play, top ten money.

Every draft is different, but it always cracks me up when scouts and personnel evaluators call a draft "a high talent draft" and then when they can't make the trade they REALLY wanted to make they tell the world afterwards that the draft just wasn't very high in talent after such and such a selection. Never seen so many professional liars as scouts and front office types.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to Re: Trends that will effect the Draft:
    Hernandez slid, IIRC, because of the pot smoking allegation, which is usually overrated mush. Is anyone really shocked that a college kid smoked pot? The vast majority of college players probably do .... they also drink ... and chase tail. That's news.  Gronk and Hernandez are second generation of a change that's been coming though. We are just witnessing the culmination of what's happening vis-a-vis rule changes and the improvement of athletes.  Under modern rules players with the triangle numbers (both unique) of Gronk and Hernandez become very difficult to cover.  Lastly, copying NE will be difficult. Finding one TE as good as either player is crazy hard, let alone two.  I don't think we will see any copycat 2TE offenses -- in fact, I sincerely hope Ne can get both of them re-upped because the offense is unique and they have gained such a rapport together. It would be a shame to break this unit up.  We will continue to see people looking for Gronk and Hernandez type players because they pose matchup problems. 
    Posted by zbellino

better do it befor ethey get meteoric

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I think the big, athletic TE's will continue to be a part of a lot of team's drafting strategy because they pose such a mismatch problem for defenses. We may even see more high school and college power forwards make the leap to the position, thus increasing the pool of big, athletic kids that can catch and block.

I think we'll see more drafted over teh coming years as teams start to replicate the success that the Pats, NO, San Fran and GB have had with the position. There are many other teams as well, but no team has a dynamic duo like Gronk and Hern.

When this happens, I imagine there will be a premium on drafting bigger CBs or faster LBs and Safeties. Someone has to cover these guys, and a 5'11 CB is not getting it done.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Army2LT. Show Army2LT's posts

In Response to Trends that will effect the Draft : Nickel DB. Whether it's the nickelback himself or the way the Safety is used, teams are implementing the nickel differently. The nickel used to be your 3rd best CB, but that's not always the case anymore. GB uses Woodson as a roving nickel and in a Star role. Even BB with his 4-2-5, something he's been experimenting with since 2008 When Tank Williams and John Lynch were in camp and couldn't really show they could play that role. CBs are no asked to play a Star role in a nickel position and that's because of people like Dallas Clark or Aaron Hernandez. Passing league, need more depth and versatility from your secondary.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKingII

Interesting point.  What size are we talking about here?  

CB Dre Kirkpatrick is listed at 6'3" 195lbs and runs a 4.5/40.  
    OLB Zach Brown is listed at 6'2" 230lbs and runs a 4.45/40.
    S Mark Barron is listed at 6'2" 218 and runs a 4.55/40.

Are these the players who would be fitting that role?  I wonder if these guys will be flying off the board, just to be selected to combat NE's offense?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

King does bring up a good point.  Defensive backs are at a premium.   It's not too rich this year.  Kirkpatrick should be long gone.  I haven't heard anything about Janoris Jenkins who was sent packing from Florida and ended up in North Alabama.  I don't know where his head is at these days.  5'10" and 182 lbs though.  The Pats have a good shot at Barron and Brown but the combine is a long way off.  Barron's speed might hurt him some.  DB class looks mighty thin this year.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

Fullbacks, like we had with Heath Evans, continue to be in decline in today's offenses.  For that matter, 2 back sets are becoming less common.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

fads do exist in the nfl. for the 2012 draft, a lot hangs on who wins.

in a lot of people's minds a nwe win validates the notion that the rules have changed to favor the o. a mighty o is now the formula to success. therefore, teams might focus a bit more on building their o, particularly in the early rounds.

if any one of the other three teams win, then teams will likely draft d personnel early. that means fewer chances of nwe picking up defensive kids in the early rounds.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Army2LT. Show Army2LT's posts

fads do exist in the nfl. for the 2012 draft, a lot hangs on who wins. in a lot of people's minds a nwe win validates the notion that the rules have changed to favor the o. a mighty o is now the formula to success. therefore, teams might focus a bit more on building their o, particularly in the early rounds. if any one of the other three teams win, then teams will likely draft d personnel early. that means fewer chances of nwe picking up defensive kids in the early rounds.
    Posted by seattlepat70

I agree.  This could really good if the Pats win the SB and teams concentrate on drafting offensive players, leaving more defensive players for BB to choose from.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Army2LT. Show Army2LT's posts

Fullbacks, like we had with Heath Evans, continue to be in decline in today's offenses.  For that matter, 2 back sets are becoming less common.
    Posted by nyjoseph

Rarely do you see a team use a FB.  And I would also add that #1 RBs are becoming less common too, so much that many fall out of the top 10.  

I just looked up the nfl draft history and was kinda surprised that Vereen was the 3rd RB taken last year at #56 overall.  He was really under the radar, and still is.   

Sections
Shortcuts