Trent DIlfer and Steve Young rip Pats D

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kevin13130. Show kevin13130's posts

Re: Trent DIlfer and Steve Young rip Pats D

I think they're right, though. Our defense has flashed potential, but it's not really championship-caliber yet.

Sure, we get turnovers and sacks, but go watch the Steelers, Ravens, or 49ers D and you can see what Dilfer and Young are talking about. When you watch those teams, every play by the opposing offense seems to be a struggle. We need our defense to approach that level of play.

I also don't see what Green Bay's defense has to do with it. Yeah, the Packers D is pretty average, but there's no reason for Dilfer and Young to be ripping GB's defense after a Patriots game, is there?

Regardless of what I think, though, I hope our players take this criticism the wrong way and gets extra motivated over this.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_1303856. Show user_1303856's posts

I'm starting to like this no-name D. no they're not world champions by any stretch of the imagination but they're working hard and not being stupid. think about all the turn over there has been on this D. yeah, this is a hank poteat, earthwind moreland D and I like watchin' em.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

They gave up 236 through the air and 50 of those came in the fourth quarter in garbage time. I'm not saying that they're the '85 Bears, but they're playing better. I would love to see them against the Vick next week, if they continue to play at such a high level the Pats stand a great chance at making a serious run at the SB. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Don't think Dilfer and Young are necessarily wrong in their assessments, but BB seems to have the defense making big plays when necessary and the AFC is not packed with offensive juggernauts, so I think the Pats are in reasonable position to go deep into the playoffs.  Green Bay (if both teams get to the big game) would be a challenge for this defense.  And the offense still can look bad, so there are problems.  But hey, we just won big, so why get depressed?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

i started a thread just before this one went up about almost the same thing:

RICK RILEY AND TRENT DILFER ARENT DRINKING THE COOLAID OR BLOWING SMOKE AT BB                             

my observations are not dissimilar to theirs.

This defense as it stands is just not that good. our sacks are slow developing sacks. good qbs wont get sacked like that. what you saw in the pitts game is what you are going to see again unless some things change.
        coaching and performance. 
    there are no players on defense that have to be accounted for. no one team fears playing. no on the line, lb or db's they have to gameplan for or account for. and a good team can just control the ball and keep it away from brady.
       on offense no 20 plus yard threat outside the #s still. good d's will defend well. 
    mop-up game in the 4th quarter and ocho doesnt play. why in the world is he still here. play him and get him right or dump him eh.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Just let the D play well in the endgame. That's all I'm asking.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

They could be better. I would say if you could put the best defense and the best offense in the NFL together you would have a great team. But the teams that win the SB don't have the best defense and offense in the NFL they are usually good at one or the other, or good- but not the best at both. The pats by the numbers have a great offense and a mediocre defense. I don't see a lot of teams out there who are much better on both sides of the ball. They will be as competitive as anyone else that goes to the playoffs, and the team that gets hot at the right time will have more to do with success than than the teams that put together good mid season numbers.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BS10FAN. Show BS10FAN's posts

In Response to Trent DIlfer and Steve Young rip Pats D:
    [QUOTE]Trent "The Great" Dilfer  on ESPN postgame: To win a Super Bowl you have to have an intimidating defense, says Dilfer. "I see nothing intimidating about this defense. It's better, no doubt about it, but the eight sacks, they're not immediate pressures. There's not immediate pressure on the quarterback when there aren't sacks."   And that was the "nice" part.  He emphatically said the Pats are going nowhere.  Young was mildly nicer saying he'd be sad to see the final years of Brady's career undone by a bad defense.  Last year was "brutal, " he said. This year is "somewhat improved." I truly hope this becomes bulletin board material for these guys to just plow through everyone.   I guess neither Dilfer or Young saw how Green Bay escaped Tampa's close to 500 yards of offense.
    Posted by ipot[/QUOTE]

We need Spikes, Fletcher, Mccourty and Chung back and the D will be more solid..The middle of the field is an issue..The lack of wide receiver production is  a bigger issue..we need some deep throws..a deep threat..the D is improving at the right time..health is key

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Also- FFuk Steve Young and Dilfer

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Shtarka. Show Shtarka's posts

True, no team in the NFL this season dominates on both sides of the ball. Coming off last year, which was supposed to be a rebuilding year, yes, the Patriots' defense this season has been  disappointing....they still have one month to get healthy and get better if they are to make a serious run at the SB...still miss the big plays of the Bruschi- Harrison- Vrabel- Seymour teams!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmo14. Show cosmo14's posts

They are exactly correct. This team is going nowhere with this D. Don't tell me about the score and garbage time yards, my eyeball test says this defense is rotten. First playoff game will be a loss.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

King, it sounds like all your friends are complainers.  Maybe you should find a really great offense to cheer for.  There is currently one better than the Patriots. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

The D has played great the last couple of weeks, but there is a little truth to what they say.

However, they are starting to gel and the DL is starting to attack the OL. They are finding their form and fitting the pieces in nicely. As the cold weather rolls in this D should continue to improve. I must say this is not the same D we saw against Pitt or even the same D we saw in the first 5 games. They are starting to play 60mins which makes them dangerous. If they continue to attack and play 60mins I can only see this D improving each week, which to me is a very positive sign

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmo14. Show cosmo14's posts

PatsEng, The D played great??? When? Which team are you talking about? Great? really?

King, you are correct. The offense was junk in the first half and they seem to be in a funk recently. Last night I called him Tom Bledsoe and wondered if Max Lame was on the O-line.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

They played poorly, luckily the NFL decided to let this game go another 30 minutes.  I don't think they need to be successful on every drive, in every quarter or even in every game.  I think they need to be successful on more drives than their opponnent is, and that is what they do 90% of the time and that is why they are scoring more points than 30 other teams in the NFL.

If there were other teams scoring on more drives and never having a bad quarter or half don't you think there would be teams who score more points?  I think your baseline for "good" is somewhere close to perfect and nowhere close to realistic.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]Trent "The Great" Dilfer  on ESPN postgame: To win a Super Bowl you have to have an intimidating defense, says Dilfer. "I see nothing intimidating about this defense. It's better, no doubt about it, but the eight sacks, they're not immediate pressures. There's not immediate pressure on the quarterback when there aren't sacks."   And that was the "nice" part.  He emphatically said the Pats are going nowhere.  Young was mildly nicer saying he'd be sad to see the final years of Brady's career undone by a bad defense.  Last year was "brutal, " he said. This year is "somewhat improved." I truly hope this becomes bulletin board material for these guys to just plow through everyone.   I guess neither Dilfer or Young saw how Green Bay escaped Tampa's close to 500 yards of offense.
    Posted by ipot[/QUOTE]

Though I can't stand Steve Young, I tend to agree with thse comments. But, to say that "the Patriots are going nowhere" because of their defense is taking things a bit too far. Who in the  AFC is that much better than the Patriots? The biggest threat to them in the conference appears to be the Ravens.   

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

Dilfer yes (he even said that the Ravens, yup same team that lost to Seattle, were much better than the Pats) but Steve Young was defending the Pats. Not sure what you were watching.

I think the most annoying part of the game was Tirico throwing out the running up the score card again. Does anyone recall if he made a similar comment when Green Bay was trouncing Minnesota by 45 points last week?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

The pats first half Offense can do whatever they want as long as they pick it up in the second half and WIN GAMES...

...as far as I'm concerned, that is.  I'm just happy with a W.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

Posted by ipot[/QUOTE]

Care to explain how Palko, he of his first NFL start, passed for just about 300 yards? How about those three INT's? I saw one touched by a Chief WR and another that the WR didn't come back for. Yet, we gave Brady the "pass" after his two BIG Int games (not his fault if the WR either doesn't run his route right OR doesn't catch the ball). 

CLUE TIME:   Being DFL in passing defense and near the middle of the pack overall is NOT an inspirational thing, nor is it subjective. The Pats defense does not strike fear in the hearts and minds of any NFL team, nor the Main Street Chipmonks. Look at their three losses and tell me how they lost. It was via the air. You can bend all you like, but eventually you will break. This defense has me concerned about yet another one and done scenario, come January.

Stop defending this bunch as being "underrated" or picked upon. They are also no longer "young ans still learning". Yes, they won big last night. But I believe if Cassell was playing the outcome would have been a heck of a lot closer, if not different. Let's see what Philthy-delphia is able to do, AND what Brady & Co can do against THAT defense.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts