Trent DIlfer and Steve Young rip Pats D

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Re: Trent DIlfer and Steve Young rip Pats D

Everyone has an opinion and not all of them will be complimentary. Dan Patrick just said he doesn't think the Patriots are one of the top three teams in the AFC. As always, consider the source when listening to other people's opinions.

My opinion is the Patriots have weak areas just like all the other top teams but unlike all the other top teams we have Belichick and Brady. We are winning the super bowl this year.

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

Okay, let's declare the season over, because if those guys said it....  Nah, the teams have to play the games.  These guys would have been saying the same thing in 2001 and they would have been wrong.  I'm not saying they're wrong now but it analysis in vacuum, based on stats and as Gruden said last night, he never saw yardage on the score board.  Its the final score that is the most important and telling stat.

Funny it almost seems like the more starters that get injured, the better the defense seems to be.  Note, I said it SEEMS like that.  I had a bad feeling when Ihedigbo went down last night but was glad to see him back.  He may not be a star but he is pretty steady back there.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JoeFoyFan. Show JoeFoyFan's posts

Young, quick, smart and fast pass rushers? We don't have them. Also, I get a sick feeling when I think about what the Saints or Packers QBs (it hurts just to type their names) could, and would, do to our secondary.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

The Packers don't have an intimidating defense.  Oh, and by the way I don't think he ever intimidated anyone. 

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

I think we moved to 10th in Points allowed
    Again, yards allowed means nothing - we continue
    to give up a majority of yards when we have the lead
    The talking heads continue to look at yards as the
    major measuremet of a D.

how is our 3rd down and Red Zone Defense progressing?

There is NO great Defense - NO GREAT DEFENSE

Our offense sputtered because of the Oline
    allowing pressure and the receivers getting jammed
    - thought Volmer had a stiff back until
              the second half.

We are also getting better offensive schemes
    BB is even putting Gronk in the back field
    - He is a broken tackle (over a DB) away from
    breaking a big gain on every play

I like Dilfer and not so much Young
    Dilfer is not the biggest Brady Fan

I am also tired of hearing how Brady doesn't like
    the Dline pushing him up the middle-
    And so who does?

Rogers is more mobile - but he also has better,and a lot
    more WR's to throw to Plus  a great TE.
    I don't think he is any more accurate or has any
    stronger arm, or knows how to run an offensie any better
    Rogers has also never brought a team back in a playoff game

We will be the underdog in any SB match up

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Pats D is currently 10th in PPG.  Considering the remaining schedule and the fact that in the past the D has improved as the season has gone on that ranking could get better.

Dilfer has no idea what he is talking about.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mungomunro. Show Mungomunro's posts

We are 10th in the league in points allowed. 
     Since we are also third in points scored, I'd say we have as good a shot at the superbowl as anyone else in the leagure right now.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

the d suffers the same problem that people here kept pointing out for weeks - the lack of variety, making the d so predictable.

now that the pats some pass rush from carter and anderson, they sem to be approaching the pass rush the same way over and over again. every now and then i would see a twist, but basically the same, at least the same guys.

eventually, other teams figure it out and plan for it. if they don't vary their pass rush, we'll see no sacks in the phi game.

same applies to the secondary. and this explains why they have intereceptions typically in or near the red zone. in the bend but don't break approach, the DBs and Ss are are making sure they keep the receivers in front of them. knowing that, receivers expand the field by letting their intermediate guys push up a little more so there's a big open lane going from side to side about 10 yards wide.

if the dbs are every now and then allowed to quickly move five yards in towards the qb just as the qb starts the throwing motion, they..

1) would be disrupting a lot of those passes that now are being completed
    2) would counfuse the qb, who will now be less daring in throwing that pass

when they get near the end zone, there is no space for the receivers to expand the field. effectively, the dbs are able to do the above more easily.

these problems are fixable. the easy schedule gives them the time to expand their approach to d and the reps for the players to master them. it's like having 6 preseason games, but tougher becasue the other side is doing everyting they can to beat the pats. i really think we'll see a much better, more complete d before the reg season ends.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

In Response to Re: Trent DIlfer and Steve Young rip Pats D:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Trent DIlfer and Steve Young rip Pats D : Ok, so you are admitting our offense played poorly again in the second half. Thank you. Two things: 1. Do you think we can do that on the road next week against a rejuvenated Eagles team with nothing to lose AND do you think we can do that in the playoffs this year on offense where we literally don't score points, but we lose field position over and over? 2. Do you think what we are seeeing in theee first halves EERILY reminiscent to last year's playoff loss.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing[/QUOTE]

Okay, you win. Luckily despite a horrendous performance the Pats narrowly escaped with a 34-3 win.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

[QUOTE] We are 10th in the league in points allowed.   Since we are also third in points scored, I'd say we have as good a shot at the superbowl as anyone else in the leagure right now.
    Posted by Mungomunro[/QUOTE]

Hmmmm...... interesting how we put 100% faith in one set of numbers (points scored and given up), yet seem to ignore he other stat regarding yards (offensive and defensive). Numbrs ar what they are.

BTW, Kansas State gave up over 600 yds in offense to Texas last Saturday, got less than 125 TOTAL in their own offense, and WON the game 19-13. Which one is it: Great offense or great defense?

No one fears the Pats defense. No TV talking head gives it credit (none really deserved either), and rakes it over teh coal for the weekly DFL status. Come playoff time, they will NOT ne playing teams ranked in the lower 3rd in offense or defense. I'll start believing in them if/when they: 1) stop giving up plays here it looks like total blown coverage  2) long time consuming drives via their own play book (dink and dunk)  3) start getting pressure sacks within 3 seconds of the snap of the ball  4) start showing a 33% or less 3rd down conversion success.

Defense is usually the determining factor in playoff football. Sorry, but this bunch as they are do not impress me as being able to control the flow of a game. 

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Trent DIlfer and Steve Young rip Pats D : Hmmmm...... interesting how we put 100% faith in one set of numbers (points scored and given up), yet seem to ignore he other stat regarding yards (offensive and defensive). Numbrs ar what they are. 
    Posted by AZPAT[/QUOTE]

Fair enough, but at the end of the day the goal of the game is to score more points than the other team which is why I personally put more stock in points than yards.

I don't see why people are obsessing over this idea of "scaring" the other teams with our D.  Everyone always talks about the Ravens, but how many SB's have they won exactly?  Did GB's D scare anyone last year?  How about NO's the year before that?  We don't need our D to scare anyone.  We need them to play well enough to win and recently they have been doing that.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from sam0377. Show sam0377's posts

I like that molden kid, he plays good coverae and hits like rodney

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Trent DIlfer and Steve Young rip Pats D :      Though I can't stand Steve Young, I tend to agree with thse comments. But, to say that "the Patriots are going nowhere" because of their defense is taking things a bit too far. Who in the  AFC is that much better than the Patriots? The biggest threat to them in the conference appears to be the Ravens.   
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

Dilfer was the one that was shredding the Pats, Young actually was defending them and staed on a number of occasion he sees them playing in January....Question? Do we really need Trent Dilfer and the talking heads to point to what has been the teams weakness for now almost 5 years?

It's not that hard to figure out that we've struggled to pressure the opposing QB's and have played the bend but don't break defense almost to a fault. The game plan to beat the Patriots is simple...It's the doing that's tough...

Last night Dilfer was trying to make a case that this Pats team can't win the SB with it's current defense becasue they lack a dynamic pass rusher...Citing once again that the Ravens were the team to beat in the AFC...Question when was the last time the Ravens played in a Super Bowl?

No disrespect intended but today the Patriots @ 7-3 with a chance to run the table and finish 13-3 and be in position for one of the top two seeds...Once there I'll take my chances against any of the AFC best...One thing that does ring true that is today the Patriot's can't win a super bowl...nor can any other team. There's a ton of football left to be played...I would suggest that when all is said and done The Pat's will once again be in position to challenge for the title...if they fall short due to our defenses in ability to get of the field then it might be time for Belicheck to rethink what he's doing on that side of the ball...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

I'm liking the D, plain and simple, LOVE seeing Edelman out there, and whatever they are, they are trying HARD.  That hasn't been the case past years.  They are flying around, we are beginning to see the fruit in INTs and sacks.  And points allowed.  F()ck a steve young and Dilfer, anyway.  Their opinions are irrelevant to me.  You know all the talking heads gave out that "worst defense in the league" crud, and only ONE of them pointed out that was only yard allowed, and in points allowed they are middle of the pack.  BAD ANALYSIS from NON ANALYSTS.

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from qball369. Show qball369's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Trent DIlfer and Steve Young rip Pats D : See, I feel the D playing great like this either in the Dallas, Giants, Jets or KC games with varying personnel, means the players are taking the coaching. I mean, our only complaints with the D is two sketchy PI calls in the Giants game and a poor 1st half scheme in Pitt the week Bodden was released thrusting inexperience into the secondary.  That's been it to a rational Pats fan the last month. The D played a C game that day and we lose by 6 points to Pitt, a team that was hellbent on not losing to us 2 years in a row at home? Our tackling is vastly improved in the last month as is the 3rd down D. So, this mean, BB has multiple bodies and schemes he can run, which really means QBs can't study film on our D as easy heading into the plaoffs. How about that nice tackle by MOlden on that toss sweep to the strong side where BB declined the hold on Pope? It's little thigns like that which prove the players are buying in and executing B's gameplans to a T. ESPN and other rubes are missing the point here.  If we only had this character on D in 2009 or even last year when our offense sucked in the playoffs.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing[/QUOTE]

Are you saying the PI call against Sergio Brown(who hasn't played a single snap since them) in the Giants game was sketchy?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

what gets me is- accoring the the mensa talking heads

Our DB's suck so we cannot defend the pass
    Our Dline suck coz they don't get pressure

Out Dline gets pressure and sacks only because
    the DB's are covering and give them time