Trent DIlfer and Steve Young rip Pats D

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Re: Trent DIlfer and Steve Young rip Pats D

Trent looks like an alien...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from qball369. Show qball369's posts

In Response to Re: Trent DIlfer and Steve Young rip Pats D:
    Those aren't facts representative of what we've seen. You keep saying the same thing over and over.  A "32nd ranked" D is also a fact but not representative of what we're seeing.  Take your stats, go play fantasy football and I noticed you ignored the FACT that our sputtering, putrid 1st half offense puts a lot of pressure on the conditioing of our own D. How FACT: We walk into Philly next week no running it on their weak Run D, don't score any points or 3 points in the first half and lose, you'll be wrong again. How ironic is it, in an offensive based NFL where Goodell has it set up for offenses to succeed, ours only plays a good 30 minutes per game (if that) in the last 5 games? I'll give you credit as an irrational having the arrogance to continue to ignore why KC had 100 yards in the first half when our offense is going 3 and out, over and over and over, fumbling and punting. Did you hear those soft boos raining down on our offense in the 2nd qtr? Yeah, I did too. Case closed.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing

Hey Rusty - I agree that the O was crap in the 1st quarter last night - but good defenses pick up the offense when it is struggling - hell - have you watched any of these Denver games - Tebow is mostly putrid but the Denver D plays lights out and keeps the team in the game until Tebow miraculously wins it in the end

Under your construct Rusty - since the Denver offense is pure trash for most of the game and keeps truly going 3 and out ( unlike your fantasy about the Pats) shouldn't Denvers D cave in and give up big yards and points?

What about Baltimores D, the 49ers D - all those teams are asking their offenses to do is not turn the ball over - not exactly asking a lot - their defenses take pride in picking up the offense

Saying the defense gave up a 100 + yards last night in the 1st quarter because the offense sucked is pure nonsense Rusty  - if the Pats had turned the ball over or given up a big return that might be different - wasn't the case though

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kebbe. Show kebbe's posts

Given the injuries this defense has suffered I find it hard to fault them.In fact,I think the "who dat"secondary has played better than anyone had a right to expect,especially with both McCourty and Chung out,Mayo and Spikes have missed time and played hurt when they have been out there at LB'er,not to mention the Haynes worth disaster and Ellis being hurt the majority of the year on the D.L.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

In Response to Trent DIlfer and Steve Young rip Pats D : Care to explain how Palko, he of his first NFL start, passed for just about 300 yards? How about those three INT's? I saw one touched by a Chief WR and another that the WR didn't come back for. Yet, we gave Brady the "pass" after his two BIG Int games (not his fault if the WR either doesn't run his route right OR doesn't catch the ball).  CLUE TIME:   Being DFL in passing defense and near the middle of the pack overall is NOT an inspirational thing, nor is it subjective. The Pats defense does not strike fear in the hearts and minds of any NFL team, nor the Main Street Chipmonks. Look at their three losses and tell me how they lost. It was via the air. You can bend all you like, but eventually you will break. This defense has me concerned about yet another one and done scenario, come January. Stop defending this bunch as being "underrated" or picked upon. They are also no longer "young ans still learning". Yes, they won big last night. But I believe if Cassell was playing the outcome would have been a heck of a lot closer, if not different. Let's see what Philthy-delphia is able to do, AND what Brady & Co can do against THAT defense.
    Posted by AZPAT

1) Under BB, the Pats have been a scheming D.  They need to look at what a QB/O does before they can figure out how to attack said QB/O.  In fact, it has been unknown QBs that have given the Pats some real fits, like last year against GB, when Rogers was out.

2) Under BB, the Pats have played a bend-don't-break scheme.  For several years, with aging vets and lacking new talent, the would often break.  Maybe they still are a team that breaks, but they have been looking better and better for the past several weeks.  It has been the O that has been faltering in the first halves.  The D has been keeping them in the game.  If we still had those aging D players, the D would've been gassed by the 4th, like in 2009.  But this D still has game for all 60.  I can't wait to see how they look in the 4th against Vick.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from qball369. Show qball369's posts

Lay out your gampeplan right now for O and D for the Pats on Sunday. Let's just see if you can back up what you say. I said this a month ago: I KNOW BB will have his D ready (just like last year). I don't know   that Brady's ego problem (whatever this issue is) and poor game management will be ready. Truth hurts.

On offense - teams that have solid running games (SF, Chi) have had success running it on the Eagles, but teams with mediocre running games(Pats fall into this category) have not fared as well - and - the Eagles like to bring the pressure, so to me, the Pats should coming out with the single back set trying to get Gronk(big matchup problem for Phi) and Hernandez involved early - get the Phil over commiting to the pass rush and then start setting some screen plays - we have finally started seeing a few screens the last couple of weeks - the screen will be very effective against Philly - they need to continue with this - I would be doing this from the 1st series - I think the Pats can use the pass to establish the run later in the game - Philly is not the biggest team - they will tire on D

I think it would be a mistake for the Pats to come out trying to establish the run early - I think this has been one of their problems recently and has contributed to their slow starts - they are a timing offense that depends on rythym - but they are not attempting to establish a rythym in the beginning of games - they are more busy trying to flash the run to get teams to believe they will run - this is destroying the offensive rythym of the team early in games

On defense - well, I think it depends on who is playing QB, Vick or Young - with Vick I would have the Pats do the old D that stifled Kordell Stewart - contain the edges and force Vick to beat you - just make sure he doesn't run - the Pats have looked better playing man then playing zone the last couple of weeks - I would try to stick with that - the Pats are going to have to be better against the run then they were against KC - McCoy is the real deal - overall, BB likes to take one thing away  - the Pats should focus on locking down McCoy and daring which ever QB plays to beat them - if its Vick focus on the outside contain - if its Young get after him

If Young plays I think the Pats D will be fine - but if Vick plays they are gonna have problems - and I am not a big Vick fan either - but he has developed into a serviceable QB the last couple of years

I hope Chung plays this week - he could be a difference maker in this game

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from qball369. Show qball369's posts

In Response to Re: Trent DIlfer and Steve Young rip Pats D : 1. Stop saying Rusty over and over. 2. Did you just compare Denver's D to ours? Denver has all their starters available and knocked Cassel out of the game. Our D has bailed out our offense for most of the games this year and again last night until the offense finally did something. Good thing Arrington had 2 more picks!  lol Sort of like last week when Nink had 2 and our STs scrap heap LB Kastrovides or whatever his name is made a nice play to set us up deep after a MCKnight fumble. This week it was Arrington and Edelman bailing out our offense. I guess I should nevere assume humility from the irrationals.  We have a B Squad D out there on the back end, we allow 3 freaking points which came in the 1st half when our offense was putrid, and the D is the issue. You morons will jump through a hoop with fire and dog turds on it to deflect from Brady and offense's 1st half QB play.

Wow - I cannot believe it RUSTY - Rusty - you just admitted there was a D in the league you would prefer over the Pats D - wow - cannot believe you would sell out BB like that

By the way - Rusty - I like this subtle move of yours of managing expectations of the D - now, Rusty, its not that the Pats D is great - its that it is playing great for a B squad

You know what Rusty? If you would have been saying that from the beginning I would have left you alone:)

One thing though - BB is accountable for havign a B squad D on the field - just like Brady is accountable for stinking in the 1st half of these last 5 games - at least Brady is in front of the camera taking the criticsm -what does BB do?

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

It's also because Green Bay is undefeated. I hope we get to play them in the super bowl but I'll settle for San Francisco.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

truth is...i love it that the pundits are critical of teh pats' weaknesses. i love it that they all don't think the pats are good enough to win the sb. i love it that they keep underestimating the pats. everyone's fixated on the yards/game, people are not looking beyond. this team is better than the yards per game says.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

I'll take nice play from a battling D that is injured and that heart over a possible massive ideological embedded offensive flaw that sunk us SB 42, last year in January, in Buffalo or the last month. No one has the depth this D has in the entire NFL.  We're lucky. Good thing our finances are in line, where BB could spread the personnel across the budget like a genius. Yup. I'll take that side. One is clearly improving, the other is clearly regressing or middling as a Potemkin Village. Glad you like the Potemkin Village concept. lol Hint: Behind this facade of a house is the 100% perfect shotgun spread dream we can use in the playoffs and SB pretending it will work, except Stalin is Brady/O'Brien.

Man!  Last year we barely agreed on anything, but this year I can't find anything to which we do not agree.  

Yeah, I get sick when I see them start the game with five wide in the shotgun.  I think, here comes a sack. 

Once the other team is losing it's legs?  Yeah.  

Add some hurry-up?  Yeah.  But three times-in-a-row and three-and-out on the first few possessions?  Ughhhhh.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

You want to talk about lazy analysis?  Last night the Three Blind Mice made mistake after mistake.  I swear, they are smoking blunts 'round back before the games start.  When they first started working together, I figured, well, a coach/former player should know better, but they are just getting going.  They'll iron-out the wrinkles soon enough.  But these guys continue to get the names wrong. Is it them? Or their staff?  Least professional football broadcasters ever, save for Dense Miller.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

I posed this question to Chat with Tedy Bruschi and here's his response,

Jon K (Bangor, ME)

Tedy, Trent Dilfer, after the game last night, said the Pats are going nowhere because of their defense. Do you agree with this assessment? I feel that the AFC has no powerhouse teams and with Belichick and Brady anything is possible.

Tedy
      (3:31 PM)

No one knows how this defense will be playing come playoff time, not even Trent Dilfer. There is such a thing called improvement. Couple that with so many variables that no one can explain -- turnovers, big plays on special teams, penalties, replay reversals ... this team is in the hunt for a championship still.

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

I ignored this guy, but to answer his question, sportcasters are supposed to behave like impartial journalists.  They are not trained as journalists, but they are produced (managed) by them and should know better.  Dilfer is quite guilty of picking favorites. Young, too.  Madden was also.

Fans can take liberties because that is part of the traditional fun of watching sports - weighing and comparing teams, athletes, performances. They are not being paid, so they don't need to express themselves with the same care, weight and consideration of a professional (though some do).

Sadly, many of the talking heads are shockingly ill-informed (Three Blind Mice) about things that most regular fans know, like the real names of the players, the rules of the game, etc.  How many times this month have you seen or heard a talking ex-jock go off on the refs because he didn't know the rule that the ref was applying? It happens in every game!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

You guys do realize they get told what to say and get paid well for it don't you?

Sections
Shortcuts