Troy Brown: Same Refrain You Are Hearing From a Number of Us Here: Be Aggressive, Because Playing Soft Isn't Working

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Troy Brown: Same Refrain You Are Hearing From a Number of Us Here: Be Aggressive, Because Playing Soft Isn't Working

my refrain, man press talib and dennard, bring some heat on the qbs

spikes keep doin what you're doin

tackle better as a team

no 4th quarter comebacks. play aggressive.

josh work on the timng of your calls in key situations and 4th quarter

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Re: Troy Brown: Same Refrain You Are Hearing From a Number of Us Here: Be Aggressive, Because Playing Soft Isn't Working

I heard it too. Dont try convincing anyone here we need to be agressive. They all think they know more than ex players who actually played and won championships...lol

you know what, Ive been saying since 05' that this defense is better when its agressive and awful when we are passive. Still holds true!  Good thing we have # 12

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

Re: Troy Brown: Same Refrain You Are Hearing From a Number of Us Here: Be Aggressive, Because Playing Soft Isn't Working

In response to TripleOG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I heard it too. Dont try convincing anyone here we need to be agressive. They all think they know more than ex players who actually played and won championships...lol

you know what, Ive been saying since 05' that this defense is better when its agressive and awful when we are passive. Still holds true!  Good thing we have # 12

[/QUOTE]

Right.  It messes with your philosophy.  Look at BB when he says he doesn't care if they win by running 60 times throwing 60 times , etc. 

I totally believe him.  You could see it on the field after the buffalo game in his expression.  He was genuinely happy.  They won the game ,period.

Meanwhile fans are stressed out.

Same goes for the defense... He doesn't care about putting on some kind of show or answering critics.  He just tries to manage the game as it plays out.  His expression hardly changes.  The wheels are spinning like... Ok we can exchange possessions, who cares about yards, use up clock, we win.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Agreed, the only thing I would add is I believe BB will be more aggressive in the playoffs but will also add another defensive lineman to the mix by playing Deaderick or even Justin Francis in place of Ninkovich, who should slide outside and play more traditional linebacker.  We need more push from inside, we need somebody occupying those offensive linemen so our ends get one on one match-ups against the tackles.

The offense needs to execute in crunch time when it really needs to which means practicing situational football, this was a big deal back in the championship years and was talked about often, that being said it's more about the players blocking and executing than the play calling.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwFGSptBOXs

Almost every pass on that drive, except the Asante drop (ugh), was a sellout blitz on that drive. 

If it were as simple as sending extra men, or moving someone from one spot or stance to another ... I'm pretty sure BB would have figured it out. 

The key to playing aggressive is having people in the back four who can hold it down for a few seconds. Most teams with killer-instinct, attacking, aggressive defenses (Gb, Balt & NJJ [when healthy], Pitt, Frisco, Chicago) that get after you to create mistakes have a guy or two back there that can cover the checks their front seven writes.   

NE doesn't have that. 

Let's not be naive and act like tactics and strategy exist in isolation from talent level. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Z, I didnt watch the vid but if its the SB 42, Ive seen it many times. The only sellout blitz (cover zero) was the last play that Hobbs got burnt for the TD by Burress. We were pressuring Manning the whole drive without blitzing the house. It was A.D's best game rushing and he was all over Manning. This is why it was very dumb to call a cover zero blitz from the 10 yard line when we already getting pressure without that. So to me that vid. doesnt prove the point you are trying to make. That was a desperate situation, end of game SB where u have to try anything but weve never blitzed like that post Crennel era. D.Peas was bltiz happy but never at the right time. That was the single most worst play call of his career and BB was noticable upset with him most of that game. No surprise he was shown the door after that. All I want are a few timely 3rd down blitzes. No major changes...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

Check out the blatant offensive pass interference on the play before buress...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Almost every pass on that drive, except the Asante drop (ugh), was a sellout blitz on that drive. 

If it were as simple as sending extra men, or moving someone from one spot or stance to another ... I'm pretty sure BB would have figured it out. 

The key to playing aggressive is having people in the back four who can hold it down for a few seconds. Most teams with killer-instinct, attacking, aggressive defenses (Gb, Balt & NJJ [when healthy], Pitt, Frisco, Chicago) that get after you to create mistakes have a guy or two back there that can cover the checks their front seven writes.   

NE doesn't have that. 

Let's not be naive and act like tactics and strategy exist in isolation from talent level. 

[/QUOTE]

On that vid, the blitz was ok. But Hobbs being faked out of his jock and rendered into a stumbling fool was a problem. With a short field like that I would think it imperative for the DB to keep the guy in front of him.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]

Z, I didnt watch the vid but if its the SB 42, Ive seen it many times. The only sellout blitz (cover zero) was the last play that Hobbs got burnt for the TD by Burress. We were pressuring Manning the whole drive without blitzing the house. It was A.D's best game rushing and he was all over Manning. This is why it was very dumb to call a cover zero blitz from the 10 yard line when we already getting pressure without that. So to me that vid. doesnt prove the point you are trying to make. That was a desperate situation, end of game SB where u have to try anything but weve never blitzed like that post Crennel era. D.Peas was bltiz happy but never at the right time. That was the single most worst play call of his career and BB was noticable upset with him most of that game. No surprise he was shown the door after that. All I want are a few timely 3rd down blitzes. No major changes...

[/QUOTE]

I'm of the school of thought: more 'timely' 3rd down blitzes would equal more broken 6 point plays. I see the talent NE has back there. 

I wouldn't be leaving these kids on an island. 

I'm on the record saying this many time though. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

NE doesn't have that. 

[/QUOTE]

On that vid, the blitz was ok. But Hobbs being faked out of his jock and rendered into a stumbling fool was a problem. With a short field like that I would think it imperative for the DB to keep the guy in front of him.

[/QUOTE]

Really? I see no real pressure on that blitz. I see safety who should be in Manning's face, but aren't. 

I see Hobbes alone. Even if he weren't 'faked' there ... he couldn't stop that pass. It would have taken a taller CB imo.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'm of the school of thought: more 'timely' 3rd down blitzes would equal more broken 6 point plays. I see the talent NE has back there. 

I wouldn't be leaving these kids on an island. 

I'm on the record saying this many time though. 

[/QUOTE]

Thats your way of looking at it but if u havent noticed that cover 2 defense has done just that, give up 6 points. The amount of times we have blitzed this year outside of the rams game could be counted on one hand and most times the blitzes were effective and caused errant passes so I disagree. Its not like we dont have the proof. Go look up the numbers. All are big plays have come off conservative zone packages not blitzes.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I'm with Babe on this one. The blitz was working and would have gotten to Manning or at least flushed him if they had just a second more but Hobbs tripping over his own two feet was what caused the TD, not the blitz.

I also remember that drive well and they were sending 3-5 players everytime. Hardly what I'd call all out blitz but who cares that D is drastically different then this one. It's like comparing apples to hooting owls at this point.

It's all about balance (I know people hate that word and have a hard time understanding it) but right now the Pats are the lowest % team in sending 5+ players in the league. They are sending them around 20% of the time. I don't expect them to send them on every play but knock that up to 30-40% and we are talking. Additionally how many 4th quarter drives do we see the Pats drop 8 and rush 3 and just give up one play after another? If I touch a hot stove I'm not going to touch it again repeatedly. That's what the Pats are doing. BB seems scared to death of giving up big plays yet we give up more big plays in the 4th then any other team in the league. When something that's meant to prevent big plays is actually causing them in more frequency are you afraid of giving up even more? It's time to be aggressive like in the StL game and just close things out. It's actually funny, the only times they appear to be aggressive to close out games is when they have a huge lead. But, there biggest issues tend to come when they are trying to hold a lead and become conservative on both sides of the ball

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'm with Babe on this one. The blitz was working and would have gotten to Manning or at least flushed him if they had just a second more but Hobbs tripping over his own two feet was what caused the TD, not the blitz.

I also remember that drive well and they were sending 3-5 players everytime. Hardly what I'd call all out blitz but who cares that D is drastically different then this one. It's like comparing apples to hooting owls at this point.

It's all about balance (I know people hate that word and have a hard time understanding it) but right now the Pats are the lowest % team in sending 5+ players in the league. They are sending them around 20% of the time. I don't expect them to send them on every play but knock that up to 30-40% and we are talking. Additionally how many 4th quarter drives do we see the Pats drop 8 and rush 3 and just give up one play after another? If I touch a hot stove I'm not going to touch it again repeatedly. That's what the Pats are doing. BB seems scared to death of giving up big plays yet we give up more big plays in the 4th then any other team in the league. When something that's meant to prevent big plays is actually causing them in more frequency are you afraid of giving up even more? It's time to be aggressive like in the StL game and just close things out. It's actually funny, the only times they appear to be aggressive to close out games is when they have a huge lead. But, there biggest issues tend to come when they are trying to hold a lead and become conservative on both sides of the ball

[/QUOTE]

20%??? Is it that low?

Anywho. You aren't sending 6 men, no matter who you are, more than a few times a game. 

Take a five man rush as a blitz, and I know that technically 6 makes it a blitz in a playbook.

NE doesn't send extra rushers. I don't think they do it because they feel like it looks good.

I think they do it because tackling, angles, assignments have been terrible in the back end.

Getting that extra man back there helps to cover that up. Whereas sending an extra man, who isn't really going to get to the QB anyhow, won't do much except expose Arrington or DMC to further abuse.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

20%??? Is it that low?

Anywho. You aren't sending 6 men, no matter who you are, more than a few times a game. 

Take a five man rush as a blitz, and I know that technically 6 makes it a blitz in a playbook.

NE doesn't send extra rushers. I don't think they do it because they feel like it looks good.

I think they do it because tackling, angles, assignments have been terrible in the back end.

Getting that extra man back there helps to cover that up. Whereas sending an extra man, who isn't really going to get to the QB anyhow, won't do much except expose Arrington or DMC to further abuse.  

[/QUOTE]

Not sure if a blitz is determined by 6 but yes sending 6 consistently is a bad idea but sending 5 isn't and that's what I'm saying. Believe it or not over the last 3 years they have been sending less and less rushes with extra rushers and this year might actually drop below 20% at the rate they are going.

The problem with your last statement is that it's not working. Has having the extra man in coverage worked in the least? Has it prevented wide open receivers? If it hasn't then that extra man in coverage is completely wasted. You might as well have 10 men on the field. Might as well use that extra man to try to apply pressure. Who knows what could happen. I certainly know the D looks much better when they are aggressive early in the game then when they start to drop back 8 late in the game

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

20%??? Is it that low?

[/QUOTE]

Not sure if a blitz is determined by 6 but yes sending 6 consistently is a bad idea but sending 5 isn't and that's what I'm saying. Believe it or not over the last 3 years they have been sending less and less rushes with extra rushers and this year might actually drop below 20% at the rate they are going.

The problem with your last statement is that it's not working. Has having the extra man in coverage worked in the least? Has it prevented wide open receivers? If it hasn't then that extra man in coverage is completely wasted. You might as well have 10 men on the field. Might as well use that extra man to try to apply pressure. Who knows what could happen. I certainly know the D looks much better when they are aggressive early in the game then when they start to drop back 8 late in the game

[/QUOTE]

Blitzing is contextual. In the playbook stacks I've worked with, a true 'blitz' (and not what fans call a blitz, means sending one more man than the opponent has blockers. 

I think having an extra man in coverage HAS worked as well as it can. 

The alternative is having less men in coverage, and trading a few more sacks, for a few long six point plays. 

Think about what it might look like in real time. 

A lot of the 'blitz more' talk is rosy colored glasses chat. 

No one stops to think about the impact of bringing a man up in Nickle/Dime. They think ... ooh, same coverage as now (poor) but more sacks. yay. 

Dividing and assigning talent on defense is a zero sum game. I've had to do it with high school kids and even at that level, it is like moving a bucket underneath two leaky holes. 

A lot of the time NE is out there against 3 or 4 wide, with 5 or 6 DBs. You need some LBers to stay home. You have a.) an empty middle between your seams. b.) Empty center field. c.) Empty perimter, d.) leave your CBs naked over the top, and always e.) one less player to make a tackle on a completed pass. 

Unless you assume that the extra man gets to the QB every single time (not neccessarily w a sack but with pressure that results in an incomplete at least)  you have to assume that there would be a rise in completed passes. That would be potentially treacherous to this DB crew who already have trouble. 

Maybe as some of the kids get better with their assignments they will blitz more. Maybe the Talib move gives them some more freedom in that department. But for now, it makes complete sense to me why they do not. I wouldn't. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

Blitzing is contextual. In the playbook stacks I've worked with, a true 'blitz' (and not what fans call a blitz, means sending one more man than the opponent has blockers. 

I think having an extra man in coverage HAS worked as well as it can. 

The alternative is having less men in coverage, and trading a few more sacks, for a few long six point plays. 

Think about what it might look like in real time. 

A lot of the 'blitz more' talk is rosy colored glasses chat. 

No one stops to think about the impact of bringing a man up in Nickle/Dime. They think ... ooh, same coverage as now (poor) but more sacks. yay. 

Dividing and assigning talent on defense is a zero sum game. I've had to do it with high school kids and even at that level, it is like moving a bucket underneath two leaky holes. 

A lot of the time NE is out there against 3 or 4 wide, with 5 or 6 DBs. You need some LBers to stay home. You have a.) an empty middle between your seams. b.) Empty center field. c.) Empty perimter, d.) leave your CBs naked over the top, and always e.) one less player to make a tackle on a completed pass. 

Unless you assume that the extra man gets to the QB every single time (not neccessarily w a sack but with pressure that results in an incomplete at least)  you have to assume that there would be a rise in completed passes. That would be potentially treacherous to this DB crew who already have trouble. 

Maybe as some of the kids get better with their assignments they will blitz more. Maybe the Talib move gives them some more freedom in that department. But for now, it makes complete sense to me why they do not. I wouldn't. 

[/QUOTE]

And what has that extra man in coverage gotten us so far Z? Has it prevented more big plays (we rank last in 20+yrd plays given up), or has it improved the secondary play (we rank 29th in pass defense)? Watching the games there is a noticable difference in the D between the 4th quarter and the rest of the game. The 4th quarter is where teams do the most damage. The 4th quarter is also the time when we only send 3 and drop 8 the most. There is a direct correlation here and it's not just over 1 game but multiple. Dropping 8 in prevent is what is killing us, not when we rush 5. We've give up more points in the 4th dropping 8 then when we are aggressive. That's not a coincidence. Here's a article:

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2012/10/23/patriots-pass-rush-will-have-get-better/LQF0vHzhM7ZgXPDcCCLrdI/story.html

Oh and I was wrong about 20% that was last year they are at 11% this year in blitzing

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

This is like the  chicken and the egg thing. All I can do is take the sample of games weve watched already. Here is my take. Before 2005 when Monty Beisel and Chad arrived. We were always a defense that came out agressive. meaning you could see a strip sack to start the game. the Gaints game in 03 I believe was an example. We were all over Kerry Collins from the start and he was never able to find a rythm. Contrast to now where we start conservative because we want to see the gameplan(thats fine) but not blitzing EVER becomes known to other teams so they can tell their young qb, "Hey just settle in, make your reads and let it rip" So in essence, you are giving a young QB the comfort zone they  need to get going and then after that it doesnt matter if you try to change up because once he is in a zone, he will chew any defense up. Its the same with basketball. If u let a decent shooter get wide open shots all day, he will get some in and gain confidence and become unstoppable. He will make shots with guys in his face. Same with football. Dont let the guys get comfy.

Z sais we would leave less guys in coverage but when you rush only 3 and give the QB 6 seconds or more, it doesnt matter how many u have back cuz ANY NFL QB can pick apart a defense with 8 in coverage if they have all day and weve seen it on both sides. When we blitz and dont get there, that is a problem and thats because we dont blitz the right guys. Mayo is a horrible blitzer. Only Spikes and Hightower should blitz and CB and Safety blitzes have all but dissapeared. I mean when Sanchez looks absolutely horrible  EVERY week and when he plays us looks like Joe Montana then I think its time for re-assesment.  Its about mixing it up. All we do is play cover 2 and disguise it as something else....oooh! how hard is that to figure out after a few series. It actually still only works on Peyton Manning for some reason but after he figures it out, he goes off! Lets hope the BIlls game was more of us just being rusty and not the norm going forward.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I heard the Troy Brown interview, what I got out of it was that he - for the most part - thinks it's a player issue, rather than scheme. He thinks these guy just don't get it - that there isn't a scheme in the world that puts three linebackers standing next to eachother while the tightend or receiver is wide open to their left. The players just aren't very good footbal players...sometimes it's just that simple. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I heard the Troy Brown interview, what I got out of it was that he - for the most part - thinks it's a player issue, rather than scheme. He thinks these guy just don't get it - that there isn't a scheme in the world that puts three linebackers standing next to eachother while the tightend or receiver is wide open to their left. The players just aren't very good footbal players...sometimes it's just that simple. 

[/QUOTE]

I dont know If I recall him saying any of that but I could be wrong. But word for word he DID say 'weve already seen what happens when they dont play agressive so at this point, why not?" 

I dont think Troy would throw anyone under the bus by saying they s*ck, but he IS saying if something AINT working, u have to change and also agreed that the change should be to a more aggressive, bump n run style that challenges WRS. I do recall hinting that our CBs may play scared to give up plays but it backfires obviously. Young guys play good when they dont have to thnk as much. BLITZ MORE!!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

+1 been with ya

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to coolade2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Right.  It messes with your philosophy.  Look at BB when he says he doesn't care if they win by running 60 times throwing 60 times , etc. 

I totally believe him.  You could see it on the field after the buffalo game in his expression.  He was genuinely happy.  They won the game ,period.

Meanwhile fans are stressed out.

Same goes for the defense... He doesn't care about putting on some kind of show or answering critics.  He just tries to manage the game as it plays out.  His expression hardly changes.  The wheels are spinning like... Ok we can exchange possessions, who cares about yards, use up clock, we win.

[/QUOTE]

would it have been who cares if the wr didnt run the wrong route?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Agreed, the only thing I would add is I believe BB will be more aggressive in the playoffs but will also add another defensive lineman to the mix by playing Deaderick or even Justin Francis in place of Ninkovich, who should slide outside and play more traditional linebacker.  We need more push from inside, we need somebody occupying those offensive linemen so our ends get one on one match-ups against the tackles.

The offense needs to execute in crunch time when it really needs to which means practicing situational football, this was a big deal back in the championship years and was talked about often, that being said it's more about the players blocking and executing than the play calling.

[/QUOTE]

agreed with both your points

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

sounds like a different interview than the one im referencing.

the first 2 after the game he was saying what ive been saynig here all year. check out the older interviews on csnne after the game

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]

NE doesn't have that. 

[/QUOTE]

well ccordign to bb, and many here mcc is a top cb.

id use talib and dennard in the scenario

Sections
Shortcuts