Try the CFL for the time being

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from canpatfan. Show canpatfan's posts

Try the CFL for the time being

Hey all Pat's fans - in case the lock out persists through the fall months (which like you - i hope it doesn't) why not use the time to check out the Canadian League games.  As a Canadian NFL lover - I often feel like I am a traitor preferring the NFL game more than my own countrys.  However - even though the rules and talent level are better south of the border - the CFL still has some pretty good talent (and former NFL players).  The Alouettes are the class of the league and even under NFL rules would give some NFL teams a good run for their money.  In fact - I would like to see a CFL team vs. NFL team game even just to raise finds for a good cause.  Boomer (ESPN's Chris Berman) is a big fan of the CFL league.  Honestly - up until recently, the Grey Cup (Championship Game) has been far more entertaining than the Super Bowl.  I love the NFL - but why not give the CFL a try - you might like it a little.  What is refreshing about the Canadian league is that it doesn't seem to have the big dollar/ego players you find too many of in the NFL.  Plus -they will never go on strike (can't afford it - literally).  With that said - I still love the NFL - GO PATS... when you're back!  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bradleyBliss. Show bradleyBliss's posts

Re: Try the CFL for the time being

In Response to Try the CFL for the time being:
    Hey all Pat's fans - in case the lock out persists through the fall months (which like you - i hope it doesn't) why not use the time to check out the Canadian League games.  As a Canadian NFL lover - I often feel like I am a traitor preferring the NFL game more than my own countrys.  However - even though the rules and talent level are better south of the border - the CFL still has some pretty good talent (and former NFL players).  The Alouettes are the class of the league and even under NFL rules would give some NFL teams a good run for their money.  In fact - I would like to see a CFL team vs. NFL team game even just to raise finds for a good cause.  Boomer (ESPN's Chris Berman) is a big fan of the CFL league.  Honestly - up until recently, the Grey Cup (Championship Game) has been far more entertaining than the Super Bowl.  I love the NFL - but why not give the CFL a try - you might like it a little.  What is refreshing about the Canadian league is that it doesn't seem to have the big dollar/ego players you find too many of in the NFL.  Plus -they will never go on strike (can't afford it - literally).  With that said - I still love the NFL - GO PATS... when you're back!     
    Posted by canpatfan

My wife and I love Canada!  The last time this crap happened in the NFL I watched alot of CFL. I enjoyed it too...then they came back and i missed the wide open offenses of the CFL...so..I have always watched both. Favorite team??? The Rough Riders!!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ROWDYRODRUST. Show ROWDYRODRUST's posts

I'm a Hamilton Tigercats guy myself and my second favorite team would be the Argos.

Would love to see a game at Skydome er I mean Roger's Center.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Plus the CFL's regular season starts this year on June 30!  Football is played pretty much all summer up here! 

I prefer American rules to Canadian, mostly because I like defense and the American rules make the game more defensive. Still, the offensive style of Canadian football can be exciting to watch with lots of big plays and lots of scoring. 

Plus there's this weird rule where you can score a single point on punts and kickoffs . . . and there's no fair catch.

Big differences in the basic rules for those who haven't seen the game:
    • Bigger field (10-yards wider, 10-yards longer, and with huge 20-yard deep endzones)--this favors the offense because the defense has a lot more territory to cover. 
    • 12 players rather than 11.  This also favors the offense, since it means an extra eligible receiver.  The ratio of eligible receivers to defenders (assuming a four-man pass rush) is 5/7 in the NFL and 6/8 in the CFL. To understand why this ratio is important, consider that in the NFL if you double cover two receivers, you'll have three single covered, while in the CFL if you double cover two receivers, you'll have four single covered. 
    • The eligible receivers can move toward the line of scrimmage before the snap--essentially your receivers can get a running start.  Advantage offense.
    • The defense has to line up one yard off the line of scrimmage (rather than right on the line).  Again, advantage offense.
    All the above rules give the offense a lot of advantages it doesn't have in the NFL. To restore some balance, however, the offense only has three downs.  So you hear the announcers say "two and out" rather than "three and out."  This favors the defense and also tends to limit the number of running plays, since with only two downs to get 10 yards, you need to average five yards per play and that can be hard to do with a lot of running. 

Overall, the game is more "open" than the NFL with a lot of short passing and lots of yards after the catch.   Can be a lot of scoring--sometimes with wild finishes.  All in all, good entertainment to fill the time when the NFL isn't on.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lefty49. Show Lefty49's posts

In Response to Re: Try the CFL for the time being:
    I'm a Hamilton Tigercats guy myself and my second favorite team would be the Argos. Would love to see a game at Skydome er I mean Roger's Center.
    Posted by ROWDYRODRUST

OMG, Rowdy, Toronto as 2nd favorite? The best known Tiger-Cat cheer after
    "Tigers - Eat 'em Raw!" is.... "Argos S*ck!"

I'm a Patriots STH, but I've been to Hamilton/Ivor Wynne Stadium six times since '98.

Oskie Wee Wee, Dan

Sections
Shortcuts