Two Interesting Thoughts Heard On 98.5

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Re: Two Interesting Thoughts Heard On 98.5

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

In response to russgriswold's comment:
    [QUOTE]

This is why real Pats fans don't listen to the Felger and Mazz show.

You wouldn't know a real Pats fan if you were one.

[/QUOTE]

LOL

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

[QUOTE]

ALso, NAS, you said you would be in Florida today, so how could you be listening to 98.5 driving to work this morning?

It's 2013, Rusty.  I have this thing called an "Apple iPhone".  On it, I can download programs (called "apps" which is short for "applications) that do amazing and wonderful things.  One of the apps is for listening to out of area radio stations.  It's called "TuneIn Radio".  My car is also pretty new.  It has a jack that is for plugging in devices like smartphones.

So, to listen to 98.5, I click on the app, plug it into my car, and poof! 

Welcome to today.  It's pretty awesome.

[/QUOTE]

Priceless!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

NFW anyone in the Pats organization is 'happy' with 10 wins. 

The Allen and Mesko competition is a really good one and, indeed, there will be a very competent  punter available on cut-down day.

With respect to comments by any analyst, NFL or otherwise, I take every one I hear with several grains of salt.  Deon Sanders, for example, while an all world corner when he played, totally bites the bag in every way that an analyst can. 

Agree. This isn't Jerry jones and the cowboys..

if Allen and mesko are neck and neck, now is the time to perhaps strike a trade sending mesko to a team that needs a punter. We could get a draft pick, then use mesko money to help extend a few of he guys that are coming due next year. 

seems like it makes sense.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

9.3 yard average is pretty significant.

No, it isn't. Punting is not about distance.  Outkicking your punt coverage is not good. Allen did it last night.

Go back to the B;s board. I'll out debate you on any hockey or football topic.  You think you know more than everyone and it's funny to see here.

Does anyone see the humor in this besides me?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

In response to ATJ's comment:
    [QUOTE]

NFW anyone in the Pats organization is 'happy' with 10 wins. 

The Allen and Mesko competition is a really good one and, indeed, there will be a very competent  punter available on cut-down day.

With respect to comments by any analyst, NFL or otherwise, I take every one I hear with several grains of salt.  Deon Sanders, for example, while an all world corner when he played, totally bites the bag in every way that an analyst can. 

Agree. This isn't Jerry jones and the cowboys..

if Allen and mesko are neck and neck, now is the time to perhaps strike a trade sending mesko to a team that needs a punter. We could get a draft pick, then use mesko money to help extend a few of he guys that are coming due next year. 

seems like it makes sense.

[/QUOTE]

Hmmm - never really occurred to me for the Pats to actually trade Mesko but it's certainly worth considering.  $$$ and draft choices - capital for investment.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

9.3 yard average is pretty significant.

20 yard average is more significant.

R.Allen 56+52-62-10=36/2=18 Net yards

Z.Mesko 46+44+44-7-4-9=114/3=38 Net yards

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Yeah, let's blame the kicker for the cover team getting burned.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

From Mike Reiss -

The Patriots could have a punting competition on their hands, as undrafted rookie Ryan Allen has impressed during camp. Though he finished with a substantially higher gross average (54.0 vs. 44.7) than Zoltan Mesko, we’d actually give the slight edge to Mesko for the evening. Allen had one punt that was returned 62 yards by Eagles receiver Damaris Johnson, and it appeared as though Allen may have outkicked his coverage. Situational punting is a critical aspect to special teams, and an area Mesko has stood out in during previous seasons.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4746500/10-takeaways-from-first-preseason-game

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjetssuc. Show nyjetssuc's posts

There are no interesting thoughts ever discussed on 98.5, unless it's about how Felgie hates the Pats because he was so obnoxious one or more of the Pats threatened to lower his ears for him....but you'd never hear that there because he'd have to freely admit what a tool he is....

Actual arrest photo

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to digger0862's comment:

Allen had one punt that was returned 62 yards by Eagles receiver Damaris Johnson, and it appeared as though Allen may have outkicked his coverage.

It also appeared that Damaris Jackson is a heck of a punt returner, which may have been a factor.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to nyjetssuc's comment:

There are no interesting thoughts ever discussed on 98.5...

The Toucher and Rich show is just about the best morning drive show I've heard.  They get quality experts and players on a very regular basis and don't shy away from asking tough questions.

And please tell we what's wrong with the Adam Jones Show.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from threejak. Show threejak's posts

"NFL Analysts?"

Ya,  there right all the time....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Where did you find 1.21 Gigawatts? 

Great Scott Marty!

I'm sure that in 1985, plutonium is available in every corner drugstore, but in 1955, it's a little hard to come by!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

NAS just proved he knows nothing about football.  He doesn't get that the more time a returner has to get set up with his blockers, the easier it is, so that means hang time is more important than distance. Obviously, you want both, but you also don't want a return.

NAS is clueless when it comes to football (and hockey).

Rusty, that quote is from an ESPN article.  You spend half of your time here lambasting a poster for working there, and a quarter of your time lambasting everything from Bristol, CT.

Yet, when something they write sides with your agenda, it's 100% good!

No one talks out of both sides of their mouth like you.

Are you still baffled by the fact that I am in Florida but can listen to The Sports Hub?  Is technology that difficult to keep up with these days?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

But, before this is missed, let's take a look at the original statement:

Me:  "The second was that there is a rookie punter in camp that is doing a great job and may end up costing Mezsko his job."

ESPN:  "8. Punting competition assessment. The Patriots could have a punting competition on their hands, as undrafted rookie Ryan Allen has impressed during camp."

Seems like I wasn't so far off in finding the statement interesting.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

One was that the Pats aren't expecting to pile on the wins as in year's past.  The NFL analyst suggested that they'd be pretty happy with 10 wins.

The second was that there is a rookie punter in camp that is doing a great job and may end up costing Mezsko his job.

I'm sure some analysts are expecting NE to have a rough go of it at first. Usually when there is roster turnover like NE has had you expect an adjustment period, and given that NE is an offensive club I can see that. 

At the same time, I don't think anyone in the club is going to be satisfied with 10 wins. I predict 12-4, but you know that the way they run the team they shoot for going 1-0 16 times in a row. I also doubt BB allows conversations about "how many wins they'd be happy with."

As far as the new punter, it's great.

Mesko has been a very good punter for New England. He had a monster leg for distance in 2011That kind of took a step back last season. He was 14th in NET yardage his rookie season, 3rd in 2011, but he really had a rough year last season, dropping to 24th in net yardage, mostly as a result of having a gross AVG drop to 28th, which is not good at all. 

His IN20 is always middle of the pack to low, but that is really a credit to NE's offense ... no one in the NFL punts less than Mesko, so it's hard to compile raw stats like that.

But he's been elite each of the last two seasons in IN20%, ranked #1 and #3 in 2011 and 2012. Again, part of this is a little watered down, because NE goes 3 & out less than anyone in the NFL over the last three seasons, so he is getting better field position to punt from on the rare occasions that he does punt, but full credit to Mesko ... he has been nailing them in there. 

So basically, you are just hoping his leg strength rebounds to where it was in his first two seasons, or that 2012 was an abberation. 

If someone is actually pushing him, and can do better, it's great for New England, because that would truly be an elite punter. And if the result is a 2013 Mesko that looks a lot more like the 2011 Mesko, that would also be great.

Given that Mesko is signed, Mesko has experience here, and Mesko has a track record, it would probably take a bunch to unseat him, but BB always maintains open camps at every position. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Yeah, let's blame the kicker for the cover team getting burned.

Mesko's gross punt yardage fell off worse than his NET. It's not a rock solid correaltion, but his Gross AVG has never been better than 11th to begin with. 

Though his NET was really high in 2011, he was only 11th gross that season. I'd have to credit some of the NET performance to his special teams backup.  

And NE's punt coverage team has bee 6th, 10th, and 3rd (last season) in return yards. 

They are doing him favors, especially last season. 

When you are 28th in gross, 14th in NET, and your return team is 3rd in RETavg allowed, you are the weak link ... at least on punt distance and mid-field field-position change. 

The question is, can NE find someone to do better?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:

[QUOTE]

Where did you find 1.21 Gigawatts? 

Great Scott Marty!

I'm sure that in 1985, plutonium is available in every corner drugstore, but in 1955, it's a little hard to come by!

[/QUOTE]

In 1955 you just went to the shoe store and x-rayed your feet. You could find it in the machine Which coincidentally were at the drug store.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I just think it's funny you use a cell phone app to listen to sports radio in Florida like some dork.  It's contingent upon where you are and your ability to capture 4G signal, otherwise it won't be a smooth feed.

Wrong.  I have 3G on my phone.

Of course, I'm in the fourth largest urban area in the US, so it's not like signals are an issue.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I just think it's funny you use a cell phone app to listen to sports radio in Florida like some dork.  It's contingent upon where you are and your ability to capture 4G signal, otherwise it won't be a smooth feed. Seems pointless and somewhat pathetic, actually.  I can't imagine downloading an app for that. lmao

You can't imagine wanting to listen to Boston sports radio?  You don't like to keep up to date with the ins and outs of daily sports in Boston?

Well, if you were a bigger fan I suppose you would take the 30 seconds to download it.

If you can figure out how to do it.

But, of course, if you were listening to sports radio, it would cut into your Captain and Tenille karaoke and how could you ever function without that?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I was using advanced technologies LONG before you were. I can tell.

The amount of stories you create here is amazing.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to digger0862's comment:

[QUOTE]

From Mike Reiss -

The Patriots could have a punting competition on their hands, as undrafted rookie Ryan Allen has impressed during camp. Though he finished with a substantially higher gross average (54.0 vs. 44.7) than Zoltan Mesko, we’d actually give the slight edge to Mesko for the evening. Allen had one punt that was returned 62 yards by Eagles receiver Damaris Johnson, and it appeared as though Allen may have outkicked his coverage. Situational punting is a critical aspect to special teams, and an area Mesko has stood out in during previous seasons.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4746500/10-takeaways-from-first-preseason-game

LOL

NAS just proved he knows nothing about football.  He doesn't get that the more time a returner has to get set up with his blockers, the easier it is, so that means hang time is more important than distance. Obviously, you want both, but you also don't want a return.

NAS is clueless when it comes to football (and hockey).

[/QUOTE]

Do you have the hang time numbers for us dumbkoff?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

F you Rusty.

All you do is lie.

You're a jester.

But no one ever laughs.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjetssuc. Show nyjetssuc's posts

In response to nyjetssuc's comment:
    [QUOTE]

There are no interesting thoughts ever discussed on 98.5, unless it's about how Felgie hates the Pats because he was so obnoxious one or more of the Pats threatened to lower his ears for him....but you'd never hear that there because he'd have to freely admit what a tool he is....

Actual arrest photo

Would love to know what that tool was arrested for. 

[/QUOTE]

I believe it was for driving w/out a valid lic. - love the hair?! A freekin' mullet, real style maven this one...LMFAO

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:

[QUOTE]

One was that the Pats aren't expecting to pile on the wins as in year's past.  The NFL analyst suggested that they'd be pretty happy with 10 wins.

The second was that there is a rookie punter in camp that is doing a great job and may end up costing Mezsko his job.

I'm sure some analysts are expecting NE to have a rough go of it at first. Usually when there is roster turnover like NE has had you expect an adjustment period, and given that NE is an offensive club I can see that. 

At the same time, I don't think anyone in the club is going to be satisfied with 10 wins. I predict 12-4, but you know that the way they run the team they shoot for going 1-0 16 times in a row. I also doubt BB allows conversations about "how many wins they'd be happy with."

As far as the new punter, it's great.

Mesko has been a very good punter for New England. He had a monster leg for distance in 2011That kind of took a step back last season. He was 14th in NET yardage his rookie season, 3rd in 2011, but he really had a rough year last season, dropping to 24th in net yardage, mostly as a result of having a gross AVG drop to 28th, which is not good at all. 

His IN20 is always middle of the pack to low, but that is really a credit to NE's offense ... no one in the NFL punts less than Mesko, so it's hard to compile raw stats like that.

But he's been elite each of the last two seasons in IN20%, ranked #1 and #3 in 2011 and 2012. Again, part of this is a little watered down, because NE goes 3 & out less than anyone in the NFL over the last three seasons, so he is getting better field position to punt from on the rare occasions that he does punt, but full credit to Mesko ... he has been nailing them in there. 

So basically, you are just hoping his leg strength rebounds to where it was in his first two seasons, or that 2012 was an abberation. 

If someone is actually pushing him, and can do better, it's great for New England, because that would truly be an elite punter. And if the result is a 2013 Mesko that looks a lot more like the 2011 Mesko, that would also be great.

Given that Mesko is signed, Mesko has experience here, and Mesko has a track record, it would probably take a bunch to unseat him, but BB always maintains open camps at every position. 

[/QUOTE]

One thing to consider about the gross and net Z is that since Mesko was mostly kicking from the 40 and 50 with a goal to get it in the 20 his numbers take a huge hit from say a punter who can boot it from their 20 every time.

With NE it takes touch and the ability to give air time because most of the time NE punts between the 40's and is looking for something inside the 20's. That's one advantage I'd give to Mesko is that he has a ton of touch and gives great air time. Rarely do you see an uncontested punt from him. Allen has a great leg, this is true, but the question isn't how far can he punt but in NE it's how high and how accurate

Sections
Shortcuts