Two or Three QBs on the 53-Man Roster?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

Two or Three QBs on the 53-Man Roster?

I know this is highly unlikely, but does anyone think BB may choose to enter the season with only one backup QB? There are so many promising players at so many other positions that I could see BB cutting a QB (Like he did with O'Connell) if he doesn't see much progress in them for a more promising skill player.

I don't know what the contracts look like for Mallett and Hoyer, but it wouldn't surprise me if one was traded or cut. I'm not saying that I think it is a good idea or that I want it to happen; I'm saying that cutting or trading a QB wouldn't surprise me and that I could see the benefit possibly outweighing the risk.

Any thoughts? Which backup gets let go if this happens? Please respond in a civil manner and not the typical, "This will never happen why discuss it, fool"

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Re: Two or Three QBs on the 53-Man Roster?

I think the need for a 3rd TE, a 6th receiver and a FB out weigh the need for a 3rd QB. Just my opinion, and after last night I would lean toward Mallet. Despite making more then a few mistakes I think he showed he has more talent then Hoyer, and imo it's not even close.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to Re: Two or Three QBs on the 53-Man Roster?:
    [QUOTE]I think the need for a 3rd TE, a 6th receiver and a FB out weigh the need for a 3rd QB. Just my opinion, and after last night I would lean toward Mallet. Despite making more then a few mistakes I think he showed he has more talent then Hoyer, and imo it's not even close.
    Posted by TrueChamp[/QUOTE]

esp one who will never be much good (hoyer)
    mallet has the opportunity for upside. hoyer does not imo
    i agree with you

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to Two or Three QBs on the 53-Man Roster?:
    [QUOTE]I know this is highly unlikely, but does anyone think BB may choose to enter the season with only one backup QB? There are so many promising players at so many other positions that I could see BB cutting a QB (Like he did with O'Connell) if he doesn't see much progress in them for a more promising skill player. I don't know what the contracts look like for Mallett and Hoyer, but it wouldn't surprise me if one was traded or cut. I'm not saying that I think it is a good idea or that I want it to happen; I'm saying that cutting or trading a QB wouldn't surprise me and that I could see the benefit possibly outweighing the risk. Any thoughts? Which backup gets let go if this happens? Please respond in a civil manner and not the typical, "This will never happen why discuss it, fool"
    Posted by magicalhobo[/QUOTE]

i love your last centences :)
    made me laugh. sad but true, here that you had to say that.

i say less than 50% chance bb does cut hoyer, but he should or trade him for a 6th or 7th.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

Yeah, a little sad that it was needed haha.

I wouldn't complain at all if Hoyer was cut or traded. I feel that there are so many other important players that we could keep instead. I just don't see the upside in Hoyer that so many others apparently see. I think he is a decent backup QB, but I doubt he will ever be anything more.

On the other hand, I would hate to have Brady and Mallett get hurt and need to call in a player with no experience. I like our chances though

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

So when Bledsoe went down, Brady could step in and knew the system.
    When Brady went down Cassel came in knowing the system.

In both cases really the team came out better than anyone could have hoped.

So now if you have a second QB go down...you have to go to Edleman or get Kerry Collins to come out of retirement. Pretty much a season ender.

Due to this it is possible BB would want 3 QB's...it seems like he is never ready to give up on a season..ever.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]So when Bledsoe went down, Brady could step in and knew the system. When Brady went down Cassel came in knowing the system. In both cases really the team came out better than anyone could have hoped. So now if you have a second QB go down...you have to go to Edleman or get Kerry Collins to come out of retirement. Pretty much a season ender. Due to this it is possible BB would want 3 QB's...it seems like he is never ready to give up on a season..ever.
    Posted by patsbandwagonsince76[/QUOTE]

it would be a season ender regardless with either of those 2 playing uch this year. you arent going to a sb with hoyer or mallet as the qb. you would have to pick up one or trade for one. thus nothing can be lost with letting hoyer go imo.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

That is very true, but it wouldn't be the first time that BB has gone with only two QBs. I think it's highly unlikely that he only goes with two QBs, however it's certainly possible with all of the other skilled players on the team.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]Yeah, a little sad that it was needed haha. I wouldn't complain at all if Hoyer was cut or traded. I feel that there are so many other important players that we could keep instead. I just don't see the upside in Hoyer that so many others apparently see. I think he is a decent backup QB, but I doubt he will ever be anything more. On the other hand, I would hate to have Brady and Mallett get hurt and need to call in a player with no experience. I like our chances though

we would pick someone up. but we are going nowhere if brady goes out for the season. nothing to worry about.
    unless we find a qb to come in who is surprisingly good at that time. even then. without knowing the offense. i dont know

so its no risk to me to drop hoyer.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]That is very true, but it wouldn't be the first time that BB has gone with only two QBs. I think it's highly unlikely that he only goes with two QBs, however it's certainly possible with all of the other skilled players on the team.

my thoghts as well.
    were it me, i would though

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonismine. Show bostonismine's posts

I think they will go with three but two is appealing to free up a spot if brady goes down they'd be lucky to win a playoff game or two anyway so the extra spot could be useful but unlikely.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

For a team low on the waiver priority like NE players that get cut now are probably much better than those that can get picked up mid season. So my personal preference would be only 2 QB's. Hate to see a cut have a breakout season with someone else too.

Then again what if the QB that gets cut becomes the next Tom Brady with someone else?...like Miami. So unlikely I still say let one go.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Three. 

Tom Brady is 35.  He's relatively healthy, but if he gets injured his body will take a bit longer to heal.

BB had enough trust in Hoyer to go with him and Brady in a past year.  Quarterbacks don't regress that fast when sitting on the bench.  Part of Hoyer's problem was that he played with a horrid offensive line, no Vollmer, no Waters, with backups for receivers, against the quite fast #1 line of the Eagles.  In any case, for what draft pick would Hoyer be traded after going 5 for 17?

Mallett had one good day in practice this summer and lots of mechanical robot days.  Mallett's practice time was shortened last year by the lockout.  He's a near-rook and he can be counted on to lose games through clumsiness.  He's good enough to be a backup.  He'll blossom next year. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]For a team low on the waiver priority like NE players that get cut now are probably much better than those that can get picked up mid season. So my personal preference would be only 2 QB's. Hate to see a cut have a breakout season with someone else too. Then again what if the QB that gets cut becomes the next Tom Brady with someone else?...like Miami. So unlikely I still say let one go.
    Posted by patsbandwagonsince76[/QUOTE]

hoyer is not 30% of to m brady
    mallet is not %50 but a ceiling more like 75%
    so hoyer is a no risk

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from part-timer. Show part-timer's posts

MALLET WAS better than Hoyer under pressure. he was not great. Was mostly positive after first series

posted at 8/21/2012 1:59 PM EDT
    First: 10/28/2007
    Last: 8/21/2012
    Hoyers spot on the 53 may be in jeopardy, with so much talent fighting for a spot...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

3....of all years to carry extra this is the year.....that OL does not look promising

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I love how people are trashing on Hoyer right now but forget that he was Brady's only backup for years. Mallett hasn't shown anything more then Hoyer at this point and I wouldn't want either backing Brady up alone either but at least BB trusted Hoyer to backup Brady by himself before.

Hoyer has probably his worse pre-season game playing behind 2nd and 3rd string OL players who most likely won't even make the team and suddenly people forget that there was a reason he was the only backup for years, because he's a game manager. That's one thing BB has always looked for in QB's esp as backups. Because they might not win you a game but typically they won't lose you one either. Mallett on the other hand is a gunslinger that currently doesn't have touch, isn't working through his progressions, and is having trouble reading coverages. Now Mallett has a higher upside, and his faults can be things that he can work on, but at this point in his career there is no chance I would trust him to be the only backup to Brady

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

[QUOTE]I love how people are trashing on Hoyer right now but forget that he was Brady's only backup for years. Mallett hasn't shown anything more then Hoyer at this point and I wouldn't want either backing Brady up alone either but at least BB trusted Hoyer to backup Brady by himself before. Hoyer has probably his worse pre-season game playing behind 2nd and 3rd string OL players who most likely won't even make the team and suddenly people forget that there was a reason he was the only backup for years, because he's a game manager. That's one thing BB has always looked for in QB's esp as backups. Because they might not win you a game but typically they won't lose you one either. Mallett on the other hand is a gunslinger that currently doesn't have touch, isn't working through his progressions, and is having trouble reading coverages. Now Mallett has a higher upside, and his faults can be things that he can work on, but at this point in his career there is no chance I would trust him to be the only backup to Brady
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

+1

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichFan. Show MichFan's posts

One is the backup and the other guy (Hoyer) holds the clipboard.  You need 3.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

I thought the talk last year and in the offseason was that Hoyer was worth a first rounder to another team.  Now you guys say he may be cut.  What happened?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]I thought the talk last year and in the offseason was that Hoyer was worth a first rounder to another team.  Now you guys say he may be cut.  What happened?
    Posted by UD6[/QUOTE]

I never saw anybody saying he was worth a 1st rounder troll. You're a joke around here.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]I love how people are trashing on Hoyer right now but forget that he was Brady's only backup for years. Mallett hasn't shown anything more then Hoyer at this point and I wouldn't want either backing Brady up alone either but at least BB trusted Hoyer to backup Brady by himself before. Hoyer has probably his worse pre-season game playing behind 2nd and 3rd string OL players who most likely won't even make the team and suddenly people forget that there was a reason he was the only backup for years, because he's a game manager. That's one thing BB has always looked for in QB's esp as backups. Because they might not win you a game but typically they won't lose you one either. Mallett on the other hand is a gunslinger that currently doesn't have touch, isn't working through his progressions, and is having trouble reading coverages. Now Mallett has a higher upside, and his faults can be things that he can work on, but at this point in his career there is no chance I would trust him to be the only backup to Brady
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

Its a fair point Eng, but I don't know if Hoyer has the ability to utilize a talented offense. Can he hit Lloyd on a 30 yard crossing pattern? Can he thread the needle to Gronk in double coverage? I think Mallet can, and I'm watching the game again right now and Hoyer is making as many or more rookie mistakes as Mallet. He refuses to step up in the pocket as the tackles are pushing their guys to the outside. And in the2nd half he is off on every throw, ending up 5-17.

Then again I though Cassel was terrible in everyone of his pre season games.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rajon-Hondo. Show Rajon-Hondo's posts

I wouldn't jump to conclusions on the showing of Mon. Nights game. We were more having elongated evaluation scrimmage. It seems each were given game plans that gave them reps in different situations and evaluate how they reacted and executed not just Hoyer and Mallet, but Branch&Stallworth too among other contested depth and roster spots.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Go with two, cut Hoyer...

In the terrible scenerio where Tommy goes down with injury, there will be a veteran QB sitting somewhere waiting for his lone opportunity to win a ring (think David Garrard) who would jump at the chance to play for a likely Super Bowl contender like the Pat's.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from viewer222. Show viewer222's posts

Neither Hoyer nor Mallett played the whole game. Also neither played with the first team receivers. The OL was terrible. I was glad the way the OL played that they sat TB.
    There is not enough info from either qbs play in preseason game 2 to come to conclusions. BB has a lot more info than any of us. He knows what they do in practice and interteam scrimmages and we will see both qbs in preseason games 3 and 4.

Sections
Shortcuts