Two or Three QBs on the 53-Man Roster?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

Re: Two or Three QBs on the 53-Man Roster?

I didn't create this thread due to their performances in the first two preseason games. I was just thinking that it was a possibility because of all the depth in other areas. There are a lot of guys that will not make it to the practice squad if cut, and it's possible that BB goes with two QBs if he thinks that they are worth the risk. I will admit that I never thought much of Hoyer, but then again I'm no QB coach. If I had to choose between Hoyer or Ebner I would pick Ebner as I think he has more potential.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NCPatsFan1971. Show NCPatsFan1971's posts

What if Demps turns out to be a real keeper?  What about the running back/fullback situation.  Those that are PS eligible - will they be able to stay there if put there?  Also, if the Pats want to use a two back formation, shouldn't they use a fullback instead of an offensive lineman or Hernandez and risk him getting hurt from the extra pounding.

Unfortunately you can't keep everyone but you also need extras on the offensive/defensive line.  

That being said, I don't think Hoyer get's resigned next year anyway.  So take the chance with Mallett and use the Third QB slot for another position. 

BTW, I don't remember exactly but in 2001 when Bledsoe went down didn't most people expect that Damon Huard or Micheal Bishop would be the QB to go in instead of Tom Brady?   

In any event, I expect BB will make the decision that is best for the team.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

Am I the only one who remembers how terrible.... TERRIBLE... Matt Cassel looked in the 2008 pre-season?  MUCH worse than Hoyer has looked so far.

Hoyer hasn't looked great this pre-season, but that is not an indication that he has regressed or simply isn't that good.  I'm not saying Hoyer is definitely the next Cassel, but I wouldn't throw in the towel on the season if he had to step in.

I don't think BB cuts either Mallet or Hoyer (barring some serious behind-the-scenes issues that we're not privy to); and would have to be blown away with a trade offer (3rd rounder-ish) to trade one.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

In Response to Re: Two or Three QBs on the 53-Man Roster?:
    [QUOTE]Am I the only one who remembers how terrible.... TERRIBLE... Matt Cassel looked in the 2008 pre-season?  MUCH worse than Hoyer has looked so far. Hoyer hasn't looked great this pre-season, but that is not an indication that he has regressed or simply isn't that good.  I'm not saying Hoyer is definitely the next Cassel, but I wouldn't throw in the towel on the season if he had to step in. I don't think BB cuts either Mallet or Hoyer (barring some serious behind-the-scenes issues that we're not privy to); and would have to be blown away with a trade offer (3rd rounder-ish) to trade one.
    Posted by MattC05[/QUOTE]
    I remember that Matt, I thought that he would get cut he was so bad that year.  Only BB really knows what these guys have. He was right about Brady too.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NCPatsFan1971. Show NCPatsFan1971's posts

BTW, I can't help but notice that of the 5 Currently Open Threads that there are some occasional (civil) disagreements going on but no slamming.  And the Trolls from other teams seem to be sleeping (I have most of the Trolls on Ignore anyway)

What a pleasure it is not to have to weed through that never ending Ground Hog Day argument that infected this place like the plague.  

All is good!   :)  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

I do remember that Matt, but I also remember how much better Matt Gutierrez looked and he was cut. We really have no idea what we have in these guys. It wouldnt surprise me either way, but I could understand the decision to go with two QBs if BB sees something in one of them. In a way i would prefer to go with two and risk only having one backup.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]Go with two, cut Hoyer... In the terrible scenerio where Tommy goes down with injury, there will be a veteran QB sitting somewhere waiting for his lone opportunity to win a ring (think David Garrard) who would jump at the chance to play for a likely Super Bowl contender like the Pat's.
    Posted by wozzy[/QUOTE]

thats what i was saying, thinking as well...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Dante just said the O-line is going to be just fine. I'm not arguing with him. As For QB 3 will be kept unless Edelman is in fact taking reps at QB.He probably should after his dropping so many punts.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Two or Three QBs on the 53-Man Roster? : thats what i was saying, thinking as well...
    Posted by bredbru[/QUOTE]

So you guys would rather have a traveling salesman of a QB that's not good enough to stick with some of the worst NFL teams instead of a guy that has been good enough to be the Pat's #2 for 4 years and knows the system?
    Awesome!
    How soon some forget 08 when everybody was screaming for BB to bring in a vet.  Didn't happen then and won't happen now.  NOPE!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

[QUOTE]Am I the only one who remembers how terrible.... TERRIBLE... Matt Cassel looked in the 2008 pre-season?  MUCH worse than Hoyer has looked so far. Hoyer hasn't looked great this pre-season, but that is not an indication that he has regressed or simply isn't that good.  I'm not saying Hoyer is definitely the next Cassel, but I wouldn't throw in the towel on the season if he had to step in. I don't think BB cuts either Mallet or Hoyer (barring some serious behind-the-scenes issues that we're not privy to); and would have to be blown away with a trade offer (3rd rounder-ish) to trade one.
    Posted by MattC05[/QUOTE]
    I remember. I also remember how excited most of us were about Taylor Price in pre-season last year. How'd that work out?

People read way too much into pre-season games.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

[QUOTE]3....of all years to carry extra this is the year.....that OL does not look promising
    Posted by Iceman4[/QUOTE]

LOL....guess we might need 3 Laughing

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

if carrying a 3rd quarterback  meant not having enough OL, a 3rd TE, or a Fullback....I'd say keep 2 QBs. If there's enough for 3, keep 3

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEforever. Show NEforever's posts

If the Oline imroves we might not need 3 quarterbacks! Go with 2!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macrawn. Show Macrawn's posts

I would carry one if I were running the show and that would be Mallet.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rerun85. Show Rerun85's posts

I'd say we are keeping all three. Hoyer is still going to be better than Mallett for the time being in terms of brains and decision making and they spent a decent draft pick on Mallet so there's not much chance that they'll let him get away. I'm fine with that as Brady is getting older and any bad hit could knock him out for a week or 2.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from expertmike. Show expertmike's posts

Hopefully just 2 QBs.   Keeping the backup to the backup and cutting one of the talented players we have - who are much more likely to be needed during the season - seems like a waste.    

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Good thread.

Looking over the roster the Globe's Marc Freshman came up with here are the players he had no room for that might impact whether they keep a third QB or not:

1. Brian Waters - he could replace one lineman on the list though. Either Wendell or more likely McDonald. But both have been solid coming off the bench and Vollmer may have back troubles so numbers may mean something here.

2. Stallworth - it may just be too many WRs anyway.

3. Fells (or any thrid TE) - this is one spot I think BB decides to keep three.

4. Dennard - OK, he is a rookie and has been injured. ANd perhaps he ends up on IR. But I think they keep him in a Pats uniform one way or another

5. Allen - You can never have too many CBs and I think Allen has look sound. He can also play the hybrid S role

Of all the above I would say the last three could affect the QBs. I think I wuld keep a third TE before a 3rd QB. I would keep Dennard even if only on IR. I would like to keep Allen but I am more flexible on his status.

So if we only keep 2 QBs who is the backup? I think BB knows who is worth keeping more than I. A few here have pointed out Cassel's preseason in 2008 as a perfect example of the issue. Still, if it was up to me I think I would keep Mallet. But I am not going to second guess BB on this choice (assuming he makes a choice - I do expect Hoyer to be 2nd string this year if they keep three but next year would be Mallets chance to prove himself #2).

There is one more element to this. Is not Hoyer a FA next year? Perhaps we let him go now unless we actually want to sign him next year. If we do want to sign him that would be a big boost to his percieved value.