Two Questionable Positions

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats3392. Show pats3392's posts

Two Questionable Positions

I would say our team is solid after the draft. And the only positions I would question a little is RB and OLB. After teams start cutting players we should bring in a veteran pass rusher and a running back to compete in camp. 

At RB Now:
    Laurence Maroney (Has potential but hasn't shown it)
    Fred Taylor (Older & coming off a injury year)
    Sammy Morris (Same as Fred Taylor)
    Kevin Faulk (Older, but our most productive back and only a 3rd down back now)
    BenJarvus Green-Ellis (Didn't get much play time)
    Chris Taylor (On IR last season)
    Pat Paschall (Undrafted Free Agent)

At OLB Now:
    Tully Banta-Cain (Our best pass rusher)
    Adalius Thomas (A headache)
    Pierre Woods (Special Teams Player)
    Shawn Crable (On IR last 2 season)
    Rob Ninkovich (Nothing Special)
    Marques Murrell (Back-up/Special Teams Player)
    Jermaine Cunningham (Rookie, will be productive, but not a starter this year) 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from haldager. Show haldager's posts

Re: Two Questionable Positions

I agree we look thin at OLB when TBC is our best player....not a good sign!!
    By the way, is it possible they would use Mckenzie as OLB? Crable is over and done.

I think Cunningham may surprise. It seems like many Gators observers rank him higher than Dunlap and thinks he has been more consistent.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcappy. Show jcappy's posts

Did i miss something?  Did we get a defensive end--I mean apart from this Deaderick pick?? 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In Response to Re: Two Questionable Positions:
    I agree we look thin at OLB when TBC is our best player....not a good sign!! By the way, is it possible they would use Mckenzie as OLB? Crable is over and done. I think Cunningham may surprise. It seems like many Gators observers rank him higher than Dunlap and thinks he has been more consistent.
    Posted by haldager
    I live here in gatorville and I'll tell you that Jermaine Cunningham has a dynamite first step and as far as Spikes is concerned he's a prototypical MLB. They did also sign an undrafted DE/OLB out of Montana State name of Dane Fletcher who is a dynamo! If you have the time check out his video on Weei.com,he'll more than likely play at OLB. Don't worry about Hernandez he was the best receiver on the Gators this year.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In Response to Re: Two Questionable Positions:
    Did i miss something?  Did we get a defensive end--I mean apart from this Deaderick pick?? 
    Posted by jcappy
    I don't know what you wanted, it seems everyone was wanted DE/OLB hybrids so BB drafted one and signed one as an UDFA. Deaderick is a hellava player and he's been in the same system for 4 years as the one the Patriots use. I wouldn't worry about his ability to play DE.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmcintosh. Show andrewmcintosh's posts

First off congrats to the OP for posting his concerns without coming off as a complete know it all or jacka$$, it seems like a rare feat on this board...The fact that BB didnt' aggressively target pass rush shows two things (imo)

1.  The number of true 3-4 OLB was greatly exaggerated in this draft, Miami and NY passed on the same type of players so that should tell you that guys like Graham, Hughes, etc simply don't project well into the 3-4 scheme.  The whole "but the guy can flat out play" argument is valid to a degree, but at OLB size truly does matter...short arms=getting hooked inside every run down
    2.  BB must have some sort of confidence in Crable, if he thought he was a total bum I can't imagine that pass rush would have been such a minor priority in the draft.  Crable has massive potential, but obviously zero production.  

I'm still concerned about the pass rush, but lets see how things pan out over training camp, perhaps Crable will finally show up.  And as for Guyton or McKenzie being OLB, don't count on it, neither have the size or wingspan to set the edge with any sort of consistency.  There should be some awesome competition inside this year though, lots of young talent (spikes, mayo, guyton, mckenzie).  Spikes could be the sledgehammer the Pats have missed since Ted Johnson

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from proftom. Show proftom's posts

Thanks, good insights all the way around. 

My take is the pass rush solution, fix, will comes from two places; one, improving the defensive backfield, and two pressure from the defensive line. My take is defensive backfield is improved via experience for the last years draft class and this years first rounder.  The defensive line rush improves this years with the players we drafted and experienced gained from last years drafted players. 

Notice I didn't use any names. In the NFL name players don't matter that much, it overhyped. What matters most is the skills of the group. In the case of both our defensive line and backfield the skills have improved via draft and experience of playing in game situations.      

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from FOWLER8196. Show FOWLER8196's posts

jermaine cunningham will be a good player for us. he was overshadowed by carlos dunlap, but is considered by many to be a more consistant and all around prospect.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

The team is inching up(ward).  Obviously, they will need to see which ones in this class will stick/contriubute.  Next year might be a good draft to go for the RB.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

yeah, that OLB looks pretty weak.  It was the most vunerable position last year and it was not addressed in this draft, with so many players that could have filled that void. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from sydpat. Show sydpat's posts

Excellent draft but thought given our roster at running back passing on Anthony Dixon in the sixth round was a mistake. Absolute steal here.

Have not improved a real area of weakness.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hoier. Show Hoier's posts

Brian Westbrook @ RB?

Sections
Shortcuts