Ty Warren on us "trying to go away from the 3-4"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from GadisRKO. Show GadisRKO's posts

Ty Warren on us "trying to go away from the 3-4"

Article by Mike Reiss

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/6817812/do-new-england-patriots-defensive-line-moves-signal-shift

I quote Ty Warren  "I think it looks like they're trying to get away from the 3-4,"

"When I heard about the different defensive deals they're going to be doing, I didn't see me in that big picture of things, or at least not a huge role in that deal. Then there were the acquisitions they made [Albert Haynesworth], which made it even more [likely]."

The article looks at who would line up at DE and apparently we have two fits, Eric Moore and Jermaine Cunnigham, both have experience as 43 DE's.

It was a good read, I still think we will be a 3-4 base defense but as the article by Reiss points out, we used it 40% of the defensive snaps last year, so we are in 4 down lineman fronts often to begin with.

I still believe what BB does in FA/trades these next coming days will show us what he plans to do. IMO, if we get Lawson/Roth, we stick to a 3-4 base, if we go after Osi, then the 4-3 is very likely. I think we could have dominant Front seven either way but in the end, BB knows best.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

Re: Ty Warren on us "trying to go away from the 3-4"

I'm a little disheartened by this because he was one of my favorite players.  But something happened between him and BB at some point, and BB has a plan in mind obviously that I just will have to give him the benefit of the doubt on.  Lord knows he's earned it. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

WHATS THE BIGGIE ABOUT ROTH? HE had 3.5 sacks last year playin all 16 games. and has never had more than 5 in hiscareer. eric moore, ninkovich can all do that. heck, TBC could do that in his sleep. bb doesnt bring in similar guys at higher prices. roth isnt an upgrade over most of the guys at the position now incl murrell.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from cantstopme. Show cantstopme's posts

pass on roth, i just don't get it either

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In Response to Ty Warren on us "trying to go away from the 3-4":
    Article by Mike Reiss http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/6817812/do-new-england-patriots-defensive-line-moves-signal-shift I quote Ty Warren  "I think it looks like they're trying to get away from the 3-4," "When I heard about the different defensive deals they're going to be doing, I didn't see me in that big picture of things, or at least not a huge role in that deal. Then there were the acquisitions they made [ Albert Haynesworth ], which made it even more [likely]." The article looks at who would line up at DE and apparently we have two fits, Eric Moore and Jermaine Cunnigham, both have experience as 43 DE's. It was a good read, I still think we will be a 3-4 base defense but as the article by Reiss points out, we used it 40% of the defensive snaps last year, so we are in 4 down lineman fronts often to begin with. I still believe what BB does in FA/trades these next coming days will show us what he plans to do. IMO, if we get Lawson/Roth, we stick to a 3-4 base, if we go after Osi, then the 4-3 is very likely. I think we could have dominant Front seven either way but in the end, BB knows best.
    Posted by GadisRKO

I don't know how much to actually read into the article.  If BB had been quoted as such - that's a little different. Ty was giving his impression - and told Reiss this BEFORE being released. The question is - did Warren know he was going to be released before talking to Reiss?  Either way. I doubt Warren really knows what BB is up to.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Would rather they stick to a 34 and bring in Lawson, not Roth. Lawson is more nimble and better in pass-coverage.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from GadisRKO. Show GadisRKO's posts

I will be happy either way. Bringing in Albert was an amazing move. He stabilizes the Dline and him next to Vince will cause issues for every interior Oline we face for the foreseeable future.

Now, what intrigues me is what Ty said "When I heard about the different defensive deals they're going to be doing..."

Different DEALS, plural. Meaning most likely, Haynesworth isn't the only addition and there is more left to come. Now, honestly, I can see Osi being a target.

If we get Osi, our 4 downlineman would rival any 4-3 team in the league.
    What he could have meant was we are looking at another 3-4 DE such as Ellis or even Cullen Jenkins. Both would be great additions.

I still want Roth and Lawson though and we have the cap room to pull the trigger on one, if not both.

With that said, it would not surprise me at all if we made a trade for someone like Osi and flipped to a 43 as a base D. I don't think it will happen as BB has always said a 3-4 is the better of the two but switching it up would not surprise me one bit. The DT due of Vince and Albert would be the biggest and meanest in the NFL.

WE as Pats fans should be extremely excited, BB has been making some very awe inspiring moves recently and then you factor in that we have 2 1st and 2 2nd round picks this year, all I can say is OMG!

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In Response to Re: Ty Warren on us "trying to go away from the 3-4":
    I will be happy either way. Bringing in Albert was an amazing move. He stabilizes the Dline and him next to Vince will cause issues for every interior Oline we face for the foreseeable future. Now, what intrigues me is what Ty said "When I heard about the different defensive deals they're going to be doing..." Different DEALS, plural. Meaning most likely, Haynesworth isn't the only addition and there is more left to come. Now, honestly, I can see Osi being a target. If we get Osi, our 4 downlineman would rival any 4-3 team in the league. What he could have meant was we are looking at another 3-4 DE such as Ellis or even Cullen Jenkins. Both would be great additions. I still want Roth and Lawson though and we have the cap room to pull the trigger on one, if not both. With that said, it would not surprise me at all if we made a trade for someone like Osi and flipped to a 43 as a base D. I don't think it will happen as BB has always said a 3-4 is the better of the two but switching it up would not surprise me one bit. The DT due of Vince and Albert would be the biggest and meanest in the NFL. WE as Pats fans should be extremely excited, BB has been making some very awe inspiring moves recently and then you factor in that we have 2 1st and 2 2nd round picks this year, all I can say is OMG!
    Posted by GadisRKO

I too think more moves are coming.  I also think we will feature the 4-3 more this year.  It would be foolish not to with VW and AH together.  Both need to be doubled.  There isn't a guard in the league that can handle either player one-on-one and you can't double them both. 

NE in the recent past has focused on getting their pressure from up the middle with a penetrating DL.  Roughly half our sacks came from the DL last year.  Our DL pushes and collapses the pocket and forces the QB out of the pocket or to rush his pass.  This fits AH talents perfectly.  Opposing QBs will not be able to step up into the pocket against us much this year, nor will they have all day to throw like they did last year.  We still may not put up huge sack numbers but we will cover better and penetrate better and our OLBs will be asked to contain more than to rush. 

BB has a plan for AH and I think this is it.  VW and AH will control the middle forcing runs outside and on passing downs they will move the pocket, tying up blockers.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In Response to Ty Warren on us "trying to go away from the 3-4" : An assumption by Warren in my opinion. They'll filter in more 4-3s and move Guyton to MLB or move Fletcher around, yes, but no way is the base moved away from the 3-4 with Wilfork here. Not happening. But, yes, we'll more 4-3s at times, which only makes O Lines more confused a la 2003 and 2004 when we had Phifer (Guyton or Fletcher) and Ted Washington (Haynesworth) here. Get excited, folks. Sounds like Warren is reaching for some reasoning as to why he was cut.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing

You ever watch Wilfork play? This guy played in the 43 in college and was basically a one man wrecking crue (he couldn't be blocked with three guys)...I watched it week after week. Parcells said you could build an entire defense around this guy and he is right. He pass rushes from the defensive end spot (and does better than he gets credit for), put him next to Haynsworth in a 43 - get him some one on one match ups (which he hasn't got in 8 years) and watch what he can do in a 43. 

Personally I think if these two guys are next to each other in a 43 and Haynsworth decides to play (a big if), then Wright becomes the 43 end he was made to be...everbody looks better. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

In Response to Ty Warren on us "trying to go away from the 3-4":
    Article by Mike Reiss http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/6817812/do-new-england-patriots-defensive-line-moves-signal-shift I quote Ty Warren  "I think it looks like they're trying to get away from the 3-4," "When I heard about the different defensive deals they're going to be doing, I didn't see me in that big picture of things, or at least not a huge role in that deal. Then there were the acquisitions they made [ Albert Haynesworth ], which made it even more [likely]." The article looks at who would line up at DE and apparently we have two fits, Eric Moore and Jermaine Cunnigham, both have experience as 43 DE's. It was a good read, I still think we will be a 3-4 base defense but as the article by Reiss points out, we used it 40% of the defensive snaps last year, so we are in 4 down lineman fronts often to begin with. I still believe what BB does in FA/trades these next coming days will show us what he plans to do. IMO, if we get Lawson/Roth, we stick to a 3-4 base, if we go after Osi, then the 4-3 is very likely. I think we could have dominant Front seven either way but in the end, BB knows best.
    Posted by GadisRKO

Rusty pointed out that he might have just been bitter

I disagree slightly

I think spread offenses mean that you spend most of your time in nickel and dime anyways, so base is playing less of a role nowadays

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I'm a little disheartened by this because he was one of my favorite players.  But something happened between him and BB at some point, and BB has a plan in mind obviously that I just will have to give him the benefit of the doubt on.  Lord knows he's earned it. 
    Posted by agill1970

Something happend between him and Bill? How about Bill paid him 25 million to play football and Ty decides to get his degree in Liberal Arts, instead of getting surgury at the START of the off season...rather than walking into camp last year injured. Do you think Bill remembered that when we lost to the Jets and he was bringing guys in off the street three days before the game to play Ty's spot?

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In Response to Re: Ty Warren on us "trying to go away from the 3-4" : No, I've never seen Wilfork play before.  What a stupid question. 4-3 won't the best base. You're not going to change to a 4-3 base in a short window camp. They ran a slew of 4-3 of plays when Ted Washington came here. It'll be  like that.  They'll run 4-3 like that, but it won't be the base.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing

I thought you were saying that they'll stick to the 43 because of Wilfork, which is a ridiculous thing to say or think, not because of a "short camp". To think that Wilfork wouldn't thrive playing next to a guy like Haynsworth in a 43 is stupid. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from GadisRKO. Show GadisRKO's posts

Its all speculation at this point, we don't necessarily need to run a 4-3 as a base per say.

Stop the run on first down in the 3-4, nickle or dime or even the 4-2-5 on passing downs would feature a 4 man line obviously and as said, with Albert and Vince, we could have a dominant interior pass rush.

Sections
Shortcuts