Tyrann Mathieu this years Alfonso Dennard?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

Tyrann Mathieu this years Alfonso Dennard?

Not sure he has the talent Dennard has but seems to be intriguing. My take is that drugs are much worse than punching a cop one time (from a football teams perspective) becasue they are rarely a one time incident and usually a lifelong struggle. Another 7th round gem?

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4740221/after-rehab-mathieu-says-he-on-right-path

Former Louisiana State cornerback Tyrann Mathieu drew a large crowd of reporters for his Sunday news conference at the NFL Combine, discussing the off-field problems that led to his dismissal from the team prior to last season.

"My best friend right now is honesty," Mathieu said. "I want to be as open as possible because I'm trying to rebuild my trust. I want those guys to be able to trust me. I hold myself accountable."

Mathieu was awarded the 2011 Chuck Bednarik Award, given to the nation's best defensive player. In August 2012, he withdrew from LSU and entered a drug rehabilitation program, but was arrested for possession of marijuana in October.

"I thought my bottom was when I got kicked out of school, but when I got arrested in October, that was a different bottom," he said. "I decided to go to rehab. But at this time, the rehab was for Tyrann, I just wasn't going to it because my school told me to go. I actually wanted to get my problem corrected."

While he has yet to speak with the Patriots, Mathieu said his focus is on earning the trust of teams who interview him this week in Indianapolis.

"I'm not totally asking them to trust me right now," Mathieu said. "What I am asking them is for them to give me an opportunity to play the game again. I've had a lot of time to reflect upon it, especially without football. So it's really given me a different outlook on life and just about being the right kind of person."

The 20-year-old Mathieu said he has also undergone counseling and has a sponsor.

"I know what it's like not to be in the front of the room, not to be the center of attention," he said. "I know what it's like to be humiliated. To go back down that road, not a chance in this world. Not a chance in my lifetime again."

Mathieu conceded that his off-field concerns will cause some teams to erase him from their draft board, and will cost him "millions" of dollars, but he said he wants to now be seen as an NFL prospect. Listed as 5-foot-9 while at LSU, Mathieu downplayed his lack of height while telling reporters he believes he has been recently timed at 4.4 seconds in the 40-yard dash.

"I'm definitely holding myself accountable for what I've done. I took full responsibility for it," he said. "But once I get back in football, I'm still going to make those big-time plays and be that excitement for my team."

Known as "Honey Badger" while at LSU, Mathieu said he is trying to move away from the nickname.

"I have (moved on), but a lot of people haven't," Mathieu said. "But that's OK. Because I'm Tyrann right now. If the Honey Badger sticks, it sticks. Right now I'm focused on being Tyrann Mathieu."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Re: Tyrann Mathieu this years Alfonso Dennard?

In response to Quagmire3's comment:

Not sure he has the talent Dennard has but seems to be intriguing. My take is that drugs are much worse than punching a cop one time (from a football teams perspective) becasue they are rarely a one time incident and usually a lifelong struggle. Another 7th round gem?

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4740221/after-rehab-mathieu-says-he-on-right-path

Former Louisiana State cornerback Tyrann Mathieu drew a large crowd of reporters for his Sunday news conference at the NFL Combine, discussing the off-field problems that led to his dismissal from the team prior to last season.

"My best friend right now is honesty," Mathieu said. "I want to be as open as possible because I'm trying to rebuild my trust. I want those guys to be able to trust me. I hold myself accountable."

Mathieu was awarded the 2011 Chuck Bednarik Award, given to the nation's best defensive player. In August 2012, he withdrew from LSU and entered a drug rehabilitation program, but was arrested for possession of marijuana in October.

"I thought my bottom was when I got kicked out of school, but when I got arrested in October, that was a different bottom," he said. "I decided to go to rehab. But at this time, the rehab was for Tyrann, I just wasn't going to it because my school told me to go. I actually wanted to get my problem corrected."

While he has yet to speak with the Patriots, Mathieu said his focus is on earning the trust of teams who interview him this week in Indianapolis.

"I'm not totally asking them to trust me right now," Mathieu said. "What I am asking them is for them to give me an opportunity to play the game again. I've had a lot of time to reflect upon it, especially without football. So it's really given me a different outlook on life and just about being the right kind of person."

The 20-year-old Mathieu said he has also undergone counseling and has a sponsor.

"I know what it's like not to be in the front of the room, not to be the center of attention," he said. "I know what it's like to be humiliated. To go back down that road, not a chance in this world. Not a chance in my lifetime again."

Mathieu conceded that his off-field concerns will cause some teams to erase him from their draft board, and will cost him "millions" of dollars, but he said he wants to now be seen as an NFL prospect. Listed as 5-foot-9 while at LSU, Mathieu downplayed his lack of height while telling reporters he believes he has been recently timed at 4.4 seconds in the 40-yard dash.

"I'm definitely holding myself accountable for what I've done. I took full responsibility for it," he said. "But once I get back in football, I'm still going to make those big-time plays and be that excitement for my team."

Known as "Honey Badger" while at LSU, Mathieu said he is trying to move away from the nickname.

"I have (moved on), but a lot of people haven't," Mathieu said. "But that's OK. Because I'm Tyrann right now. If the Honey Badger sticks, it sticks. Right now I'm focused on being Tyrann Mathieu."

hey quag,

tyrann's college talent far exceeds dennards and he can do so many things dennard cannot. 

including take returns to the house, ball hawk/int and take it to the house.

his head hasnt been on straight. hasnt been able to choose football career over pot use. 

hes a smaller guy, but if he still has what he had in his early years in college, he is a stud if his body holds up in the nfl and hes focused on football.

good subject.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Withdrawels from conditioned behavior is the most difficult step in re-habbing.

We have have simply got to stop lusting over midgits...........

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

hey quag,

tyrann's college talent far exceeds dennards and he can do so many things dennard cannot. 

including take returns to the house, ball hawk/int and take it to the house.

his head hasnt been on straight. hasnt been able to choose football career over pot use. 

hes a smaller guy, but if he still has what he had in his early years in college, he is a stud if his body holds up in the nfl and hes focused on football.

good subject.

[/QUOTE]

I know he was a stud in college but he only played two years and didnt play at all last year. So not quite sure what his talent level is. Due to his return ability maybe a more apt comparison is your boy Janoris Jenkens.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Quag, I'm with Bred that Mathieu's talent level exceeds Dennard and for the right pick I'd love to have him but I agree with you what Dennard did is far less concerning then Matieu. Failing rehab with a recent incident is pretty bad if you want to enter the draft or even get back into playing. Considering, given his size, he translates only to a slot CB in the pro's that hurts his value even more with the number of slot CB's in this years draft. The 7th I would love to pick him up and put him on a short rope because he has great talent but unless they pick up another day 3 pick I wouldn't touch him before then. He's a high talent high risk player and I don't think the talent overtakes the risk until day 3

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

^ +1

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Quag, I'm with Bred that Mathieu's talent level exceeds Dennard and for the right pick I'd love to have him but I agree with you what Dennard did is far less concerning then Matieu. Failing rehab with a recent incident is pretty bad if you want to enter the draft or even get back into playing. Considering, given his size, he translates only to a slot CB in the pro's that hurts his value even more with the number of slot CB's in this years draft. The 7th I would love to pick him up and put him on a short rope because he has great talent but unless they pick up another day 3 pick I wouldn't touch him before then. He's a high talent high risk player and I don't think the talent overtakes the risk until day 3

agreed.

Sections
Shortcuts