Tyrann Mathieu

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brady2Amendola. Show Brady2Amendola's posts

Tyrann Mathieu

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1592407-2013-nfl-draft-should-the-new-england-patriots-draft-tyrann-mathieu 

What do you guys think?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

Re: Tyrann Mathieu

It's a question of whether the Pats think he'll have problems going into the future. They've certainly put in the time this offseason on him to figure it out. As a player, he'd be great for the Pats. He can play any DB position well. He'd be a great special team performer. Really potentially an impact player.

I'd love to have this pick made. He could be a great player in the Pats system.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

Too small.  Pass.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

Besides his personal offfield issues, do the Pats need another short slot CB who has not play competetive football for a year, when they just re-signed another short slot CB , for 16 millions dollars and 4 years, and when the greatest need is for an outside CB.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I'm not sold on this guy.  Lots of hype and no question he's got some ability but the off field stuff is a matter of concern.  I'm also not convinced that he can actually play every db position at the NFL level.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Agree. We don't need another small star corner. there is plenty of CBS to choose from in rou D's 2-4 where he could go that I would much rather have. And, they are all capable of playing outside where we really need the depth.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

For what it's worth, Mathieu was 5-9 186 at the combine.

I certainly don't want him in Rd 1 or 2, but see some value in Rd 3/early Day 3... kid has been a bigtime playmaker as both a CB and PR and would bring some of that Cortland Finnegan type edge to the field.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Okay MB...a late third might not be a bad place to grab him...however, if we are spending that pick,possibly on a corner, why not Logan Ryan out of Rutgers? Like his size, ball skills and overall, assuming we are looking for depth outside to spell talii, Dennard,ni think this kid fits the bill.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brady2Amendola. Show Brady2Amendola's posts

The way I look at is if Tyrann had played last year there would be no question he would be a top 5 maybe even top 3 CB in this years draft. So what he didnt play last year? The kid still has TONS of talent.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brady2Amendola. Show Brady2Amendola's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

In response to Brady2Amendola's comment:

The way I look at is if Tyrann had played last year there would be no question he would be a top 5 maybe even top 3 CB in this years draft. So what he didnt play last year? The kid still has TONS of talent.

Why do you think this? Not overly fast, lacks size, poor tackling. Immature, prior drug problems. 

Many, many other CB' s have better size, speed and production on the field over this guy. 

What are you basing your analysis on? 

Hes a play maker. Changes the game. Good Return man. Turn over machine. Can play anywhere in the secondary

Heres what NFL.com says about him 

STRENGTHS

Fiesty turnover machine who lines up outside, in the slot and at safety when needed. Instinctual player with very good read-and-react ability, always seems to work his way into position to make a play on the ball. Does whatever it takes to make a stop, fights through blocks using hands and quickness, goes low or high and doesn’t let up after initial contact. Brings enough force despite his size to get ballcarriers off balance with a glancing blow. Constantly rips at the ball while making a tackle or when others have secured the stop. Fights for jump balls with taller receivers downfield. Regularly used as a blitzer due to his feel, quickness and tenacity. Very good vision and short-area quickness as a punt returner, can make the first man miss and cut back effectively against the grain. Will go outside if the space is there but also slalom through traffic up the field when necessary. Also has balance and strength to get through arm tackles. Will also be a strong tackler on coverage units if required.

WEAKNESSES

Mathieu’s issues with substance abuse will be the primary focus of NFL teams whenever he decides to pursue a career in professional football. Possesses below-average size for the position. Usually brings down ballcarriers of any size, NFL veterans might prove a bigger challenge. Quicker than fast, though his effort often masks average straight-line speed for his size. Must prove his ability to stay with larger receivers and tight end in man coverage, as they use their length advantage to separate and frame to shield him from the ball. Will take chances as a punt returner, grabbing the ball on a bounce or inside the 5-yard line.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brady2Amendola. Show Brady2Amendola's posts

Why do you think this? Not overly fast, lacks size, poor tackling. Immature, prior drug problems. 

Many, many other CB' s have better size, speed and production on the field over this guy. 

Hes a play maker. Changes the game. Good Return man. Turn over machine. Can play anywhere in the secondary

STRENGTHS

Fiesty turnover machine who lines up outside, in the slot and at safety when needed. Instinctual player with very good read-and-react ability, always seems to work his way into position to make a play on the ball. Does whatever it takes to make a stop, fights through blocks using hands and quickness, goes low or high and doesn’t let up after initial contact. Brings enough force despite his size to get ballcarriers off balance with a glancing blow. Constantly rips at the ball while making a tackle or when others have secured the stop. Fights for jump balls with taller receivers downfield. Regularly used as a blitzer due to his feel, quickness and tenacity. Very good vision and short-area quickness as a punt returner, can make the first man miss and cut back effectively against the grain. Will go outside if the space is there but also slalom through traffic up the field when necessary. Also has balance and strength to get through arm tackles. Will also be a strong tackler on coverage units if required.

WEAKNESSES

Mathieu’s issues with substance abuse will be the primary focus of NFL teams whenever he decides to pursue a career in professional football. Possesses below-average size for the position. Usually brings down ballcarriers of any size, NFL veterans might prove a bigger challenge. Quicker than fast, though his effort often masks average straight-line speed for his size. Must prove his ability to stay with larger receivers and tight end in man coverage, as they use their length advantage to separate and frame to shield him from the ball. Will take chances as a punt returner, grabbing the ball on a bounce or inside the 5-yard line.

Sounds like a 4th or 5th rounder based on the analysis

Mel Kiper has New England taking him with the 59th overall pick

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/57110/sizing-up-mel-kipers-mock-draft

They say it's a very un-patriot like move but so was trading up to get Chandler Jones last year. 

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from maine12. Show maine12's posts

I've said this once, twice, three, four, five, a billion times. HEEEEE'S a play maker. I argued for days last year about Jenkins from Florida, play makers change the game. Yes they may not be as good at covering as some other CB's but its the fear of a mistake. One mis judgement and it's 6 points the other way. Listen I cant remember the exact numbers but I went back and looked at the last 10 years of drafts and their was only two Corners taken in the second round that were probowlers. And one of them was for special team and I've never heard of him(cant remember the other one). If Mathieu is there in the 3rd and you have not drafted a CB yet then its a must take. THE PATS ARE TERRIBLE AT DRAFTING DB'S IN ROUND 2nd AND 3rd rounds. But this kid is a game changer. the kind you take chances on.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

STRENGTHS

WEAKNESSES

Sounds like a 4th or 5th rounder based on the analysis

In your opinion, of course.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

You think he's a poor tackler? I think he's a better tackler than half the CBs who will go before him. May not translate in the NFL as his arms might not be able wrap around. Until he gets there though, you can't really say. I used to not be convinced he fits in the NFL. But as MB pointed out, he follows the mold of Finnegan, who IMHO happens to be one of the better CBs in the NFL. I would not underestimate the value of fearlessness compared to an extra 1 or 2 inches in height.We're he'll, go, Late in the third or lower, I'd take him over Webb, Davis or McFadden.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brady2Amendola. Show Brady2Amendola's posts

I just dont think we can get a better talent at cb in this draft 

i say we take him in the second

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

Okay MB...a late third might not be a bad place to grab him...however, if we are spending that pick,possibly on a corner, why not Logan Ryan out of Rutgers? Like his size, ball skills and overall, assuming we are looking for depth outside to spell talii, Dennard,ni think this kid fits the bill.

You won't get an argument from me, I'd take Logan over Tyrann all day long... have Logan as a Rd 2 kid on my board... really like this kid's all around game... he's very good in the run game and gets his hands on a ton of footballs... also brings very good triangle #'s.

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts